• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's the deal with SEGA's Crimson Dragon? Wasn't it scheduled for June?

Noogy

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's the deal with SEGA's Crimson Dragon? Wasn't it scheduled for June?

It was delayed. I don't know if there was an official statement but there are some posts about it several pages back.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Summer of Arcade locks everything else out of XBLA, so it's going to have to join the queue for release afterwards.
That's a relief. I can still, for the time being, enjoy my pipe dream of it selling 10 mil causing SEGA to announce Orta 2. Thanks!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It's not Sega's, first off. Unofficial spiritual successor!

2nd, it was announced the game was being delayed, and no additional info could be given. This was mentioned on the Japanese side of things.

So yeah... just wait...

*Edit A bit late on the reply, doh.

To make this still somewhat relevant... I enjoyed the little peek at firepro in the "Avatar Famestars" trailer released on Live yesterday. Hopefully, we'll see more soon.

bradigor

Really looking forward to Dust. Still hoping for a review code, but have points ready just in case.

Been a solid line up so far, not the best of the best, but I expect Dust to the almighty fireworks display of a finale to the promotion.

Noogy

Really looking forward to Dust. Still hoping for a review code, but have points ready just in case.

Been a solid line up so far, not the best of the best, but I expect Dust to the almighty fireworks display of a finale to the promotion.

Bradigor, have you contacted me? I've been assembling the list for review codes, but have been too busy to respond to each person. If I have your email, you're on my list.

bradigor

Bradigor, have you contacted me? I've been assembling the list for review codes, but have been too busy to respond to each person. If I have your email, you're on my list.

Yeah, I PM'd you initially and sent you an email.
Good to know, thanks Noogy :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The Achievements for Dust in combination with the talk that it truly is a Metroidvania game really show that it'll be pretty damn deep, along with it being 60fps - kudos for doing this mostly, if not all on your own Noogy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Achievements for Dust in combination with the talk that it truly is a Metroidvania game really show that it'll be pretty damn deep, along with it being 60fps - kudos for doing this mostly, if not all on your own Noogy.
The most important thing is everything feels so damn right when you are playing it. There's so many little touches that are just wonderful.

Where is the OT?!

S1kkZ

Oh man, that's old. Very hard to watch (or listen) to that these days :) I think I created that because it was a requirement to have a video when submitting to DBP, many thousands of years ago.

what bothers you so much? did so many things change over the years?

Noogy

what bothers you so much? did so many things change over the years?

Oh, just a billion things... how combat flows, the camera didn't zoom back then, we TOTALLY went with a different style of music (same theme, though), old sound effects, terrible run animation. But maybe I'll always see the flaws.

I'll just say I'm much happier with what's shipping.

-GJ-

Isn't Hybrid this week's game though?

I thought Dust was coming this week too. Thanks for ruining my night.

FAlAt.gif

I'm giving Hybrid benefit of the doubt, 60fps couldn't play the beta, one hour demo will get a good play through Will see what happens :D
They really did save the best for last though.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Metroidvania? My interest for Dust just went way up. Deadlight and Tony Hawk were pretty disappointing, and I didn't like the Hybrid beta enough to warrant a purchase, Dust is my last hope for this year's SoA.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Even if Hybrid and Dust both turn out awesome (very possible, I haven't tried either) this will still probably be the weakest SOA by far.

Wreckateer was a surprise one for me, actually wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed the demo, enough to buy it.
Deadlight I'm enjoying too, just what I thought it was gonna be.
Tony Hawk was a disappointment and I can't quite put my finger on why, just didn't click with me like the old days.
Dust is a full purchase no trial required type of game :)

Galdelico

Make sure you have people to play with. It's a pretty terrible game in single-player, but is excellent in co-op.
Ouch... I played the trial in SP and, yeah, although I didn't think it was the most exciting gaming experience I've ever had, it surely didn't feel terrible to me.
Thanks for the advice tho, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Man, Hybrid's beta was awesome, but judging by the reactions here, it's going to be a ghost town in a couple weeks :(.

Seriously though, even if you don't really like cover shooters give it a shot, it's more like a multiplayer Panzer Dragoon and strategy game welded together than a gears of war or Graw. I kind of wish the amazing creativity that the gameplay demonstrates extended to the art style, I feel like people would be more interested in it it didn't look so generic.

Seriously though, unless it's gotten worse since the beta; it's great, give it a few rounds.

Ouch... I played the trial in SP and, yeah, although I didn't think it was the most exciting gaming experience I've ever had, it surely didn't feel terrible to me.
Thanks for the advice tho, I'll keep that in mind. :)

The problem it's got is that it's balanced for co-op, and as far as I can tell it doesn't scale depending on how many players you've got. So if you have to kill 100 things with four players, you damn well have to kill them on your own as well, with a quarter of the firepower and quarter of the emplacements. It means that to be competitive in single-player you have to grind and lose a lot to get up to a decent level, whereas in co-op you're just free to enjoy it.

It's especially bad when you have things coming from opposite ends of a level and you're somehow trying to cope with everything alone, because there's no map so half the time you won't even know something's coming until you get told your base is under attack and you're on the opposite side of the map.

Galdelico

The problem it's got is that it's balanced for co-op, and as far as I can tell it doesn't scale depending on how many players you've got. So if you have to kill 100 things with four players, you damn well have to kill them on your own as well, with a quarter of the firepower and quarter of the emplacements. It means that to be competitive in single-player you have to grind and lose a lot to get up to a decent level, whereas in co-op you're just free to enjoy it.

It's especially bad when you have things coming from opposite sides of a map and you're somehow trying to cope with everything alone, because there's no map so half the time you won't even know something's coming until you get told your base is under attack and you're on the opposite side of the map.
Thanks alot man.
Yeah, it looks like the summary of what I hate in a single-player experience... At this point I'll be sure to have at least one co-op partner before buying it.

aku:jiki

What? It absolutely scales amount/toughness of enemies to the amount of players. I know because I recently completed it and had to do that survival level 30 achievement by myself, because it was too hard with four players. The only time you really need to have multiple players is when trying for gold on the boss on the beach, that one's near impossible to do alone for some reason.

It's overall the worst of the third-person tower defense games on XBLA, though. The lack of a map is a big one for why.

Thanks alot man.
Yeah, it looks like the summary of what I hate in a single-player experience... At this point I'll be sure to have at least one co-op partner before buying it.
Don't bother, it's fine by yourself. toy is just posting drunk.

TEJ

Congrats noogy! Your game is showing up as dlc at gamestop stores!

Hopefully this will get more people to check out your game!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Metroidvania? My interest for Dust just went way up. Deadlight and Tony Hawk were pretty disappointing, and I didn't like the Hybrid beta enough to warrant a purchase, Dust is my last hope for this year's SoA.

Yup, was a pleasant surprise for me as well - can't wait to try it.

Jackson

Man, Hybrid's beta was awesome, but judging by the reactions here, it's going to be a ghost town in a couple weeks :(.

Seriously though, even if you don't really like cover shooters give it a shot, it's more like a multiplayer Panzer Dragoon and strategy game welded together than a gears of war or Graw. I kind of wish the amazing creativity that the gameplay demonstrates extended to the art style, I feel like people would be more interested in it it didn't look so generic.

Seriously though, unless it's gotten worse since the beta; it's great, give it a few rounds.

It's more to do with the regulars in this thread liking XBLA titles because they're the opposite of shooters than anything else. They're just not interested in an mp shooter period.

Noogy

HEY GUIEZ!! Stream for Dust: A best game of SOA 2012 today!

They'll be showing a good chunk of the game, so should much more than we've seen in the past. Visit and show your support!

FYI, PlayXBLA is going to do another Live Stream of Dust:AET Tomorrow (Tuesday) at 3PM PST. I believe it'll be the same playthrough, but I'll be there and hopefully a number of the voice talent drop in. And the echo issues from the last stream should be resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom