• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GJ-

I'll be trying the CS:GO demo tomorrow but in all honesty I'm not expecting much from it.

It's better to get that on PC/Mac because of the mod support and the Steam Workshop (I think it uses it, not sure though).

With your points, get The Walking Dead if you don't already have it :).

I was initially excited about Deadlight, but ultimately I found it disappointing. It's just a little clunky, and generally sub par in many ways. It's a poor mans Shadow Complex.

It doesn't really have much in common with Shadow Complex, it's more a poor man's LIMBO.

Well, whatever it is, it's a poor man's version of it. Probably going to be my disappointment of the year by miles, I was so looking forward to it.

DTP Entertainment has announced Blood Knights, a new vampire action-RPG headed to consoles and PC. Blood Knights follows the story of Jeremy, a vampire hunter who is bound by blood to a sexy, mysterious vampiress named Alysa. “The former arch-enemies have to work together to rid themselves of the binding,” DTP Entertainment says.

Blood Knights is developed by German studio Deck 13, who previously worked on Venetica and Ankh. DTP says the game features “intense combat, tons of weapons, items as well as vampiric abilities that put players in total control over their enemies and let them feel the powers that vampires wield in the Blood Knights universe.”

Blood Knights will hit Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC on October 31st for $14.99 (1200 Microsoft Points)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/22/blood-knights-a-new-vampire-action-rpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINTVBl2wbI&feature=player_embedded
http://www.bloodknights-game.de/en/

Somebody knows what happened to Girl Fight?

Seems like maybe it's on the backburner (or canned?) while Kung Fu Factory makes a Spartacus Legends XBLA/PSN game? Looking at the developers Facebook pages and Girl Fight hasn't been mentioned by them in months.

532591_10151084209096147_1099807361_n.jpg

Summer of Arcade is over, so perhaps we'll finally see something of worth on sale this week?

I created a list of games I'd buy on sale during some work boredom last week.

Hexic 2
Poker Smash
Schizoid
Gyromancer
Rocket Knight
Rush'n Attack: Ex-Patriot
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD
Half-Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax
Galaga Legions DX
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Guardian Heroes
Fez

Of course, quite a few of those are worth their full price, but are merely victims of my XBLA backlog, etc.

Guardian Heroes and Fez are only 800MSP each and well worth the purchase.

Rlan

So earlier today Exophase got the scoop that Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl is coming to Xbox Live Arcade

http://exophase.com/game/svc-toejam-earl-xbox-360/achievements/

The pack has 24 achievements for 400MSP -- so it's a more recent pack compared to the 12 achievements of the originals. Also it appears to only have Toe Jam & Earl 1 & 2 -- no tacked on third title.

I actually don't mind this at all. I really didn't like how the "Alex Kidd & Co" collection dealt with throwing together games. Sure, there are some singular games they could have thrown in there (Ristar, The Ooze) but I think this is still fine. Oh no! $5 each! The horror!

The stupid thing about Alex Kidd is that I'd have paid 400MSP for it on its own, but didn't pay 800MSP with the other two titles despite a passing interest. The Monster World pack at least made sense as a pack, where Hang-on was a completely random addition

(I'll still get it eventually.)

Galdelico

So earlier today Exophase got the scoop that Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl is coming to Xbox Live Arcade

http://exophase.com/game/svc-toejam-earl-xbox-360/achievements/

The pack has 24 achievements for 400MSP -- so it's a more recent pack compared to the 12 achievements of the originals. Also it appears to only have Toe Jam & Earl 1 & 2 -- no tacked on third title.

I actually don't mind this at all. I really didn't like how the "Alex Kidd & Co" collection dealt with throwing together games. Sure, there are some singular games they could have thrown in there (Ristar, The Ooze) but I think this is still fine. Oh no! $5 each! The horror!
Good news, I'll grab it!

Rlan

Yeah. I mean I would totally buy Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Enchanted Castle, and Shinobi World in a pack, and Revenge of Shinobi / Shadow Dancer / Shinobi III, and Hang On Would have made more sense to be mixed in with like Outrun, After Burner II, Enduro Racer or Space Harrrier.

Rlan

According to other Sega Vintage, it should be around 800MSP... The price of success I guess

Sorry, yeah, 400 Gamerscore, not 400MSP. It'll probably be 800MSP?

Gamespot added a new 20 minute video of NiGHTS HD:

http://au.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_nights_into_dreams_hd20120821

Now interestingly they show the title menu:

nights1.png

Now, if we compare this to the PS2 Remake's menu we have some different options:

nights2.png

So the game does include the "Brand New Dreams" and Sega Saturn Dreams mode for both, but the Saturn game had 3 unlockables -- Christmas Dream, Gallery and Movie Theater. The 360 version has 2 unlockable things, hidden under question marks, but adds something else -- Presents.

Presents were a special thing specific to Christmas Nights, where players would unlock and view art Galleries, promotional movies and other stuff. In the PS2 game it was just galleries and you unlocked them once you completed the Christmas Nights levels.

Looks like they might be bringing back the unlockable stuff for this version? It'd be silly to have Galleries AND Presents, so maybe the Question Marks are something different again? We can assume one of them is Christmas Nights, other is probably movie theatre, but I would have thought they'd put them into the presents?

Toejam collection sounds great, I love both of those old games.

You know what... I bet they are in Sonic ASR now since sega seem to have the rights to them in some way, and vyse being in ASR tells me that is in the works for a port. It's just the sort of thing which has been going on lately.

Not 100% sure on that but it feels that way.

Seems like maybe it's on the backburner (or canned?) while Kung Fu Factory makes a Spartacus Legends XBLA/PSN game? Looking at the developers Facebook pages and Girl Fight hasn't been mentioned by them in months.

Damn. Kind of had a feeling that was the case. Got way too much hate out of the gate and that ended that.

And after watching that NiGHTS footage I'm so ready for Clockwork Knight 1 & 2.

Trialled all the Deal of the Week stuff, and the only one I bought is Crazy Machines.

Skydrift started fun, but I was enormously pissed off at it by the end of the first race, and if that level of frustration continued I'd have broken something. Imagine trying to play Mario Kart if every other power-up was a blue shell, and they're all aimed at you. Yeah, fuck that. It's a shame, because the flying feels really nice and smooth, but there's just no way to have fun with it like this.

Dead Block was interesting for the first level, then immediately became cumbersome with the introduction of a second character, doing very little to maintain the interest.

Faery just has horrible unintuitive movement controls, and is ugly along with it. Didn't give it much of a chance really because it was just immediately annoying.

TNT Racers was tempting, but it seems every race was a gimmick. Instead of just racing you had to collect points or destroy your opponents or etc etc and it got tired very quickly.

Damn. Kind of had a feeling that was the case. Got way too much hate out of the gate and that ended that.

And after watching that NiGHTS footage I'm so ready for Clockwork Knight 1 & 2.
Oh man, if they had a mode that let you play through both games back-to-back in one go, that'd be great.

And before anyone complains that the difficulty would spike halfway through the game and suddenly get easier - not really. Clockwork Knight [1] is pathetically easy, even on the hardest difficulty, while Clockwork Knight 2 is moderately challenging. It'd actually ramp up fairly well!

Also, playable Ginger in Clockwork Knight 1. (Technically, he's already playable in 2, if you enter the Konami Code on the Part 2 title screen - I forget if you actually press left/right or substitute L/R, but still, it works.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
zviIb.jpg

I just doubled back and did a full playthrough of Haunt (Kinect). I would say that I liked it a lot. It combines a funny script (written and voiced by Tim Schafer), elements of a carnival haunted house, a 3D point-and-click, Trace Memory (Another Code) by Nintendo/Cing, Luigi's Mansion, and an exercise game. Oh, and it's made by NanaOn-Sha (Parappa the Rapper, Um-Jammer Lammy)

It makes 100% full use of the Kinect--literally every feature you can imagine, it uses. This includes:
- Taking a photo of you to use in the game
- Taking video of you to use in the game
- The Microphone
- Swinging your arms wildly
- Precise gestures
- Walking in place
- Running in place
- Ducking
- Dodging left and right
- Jumping
- Rotating wheels
- Answer a phone
- Opening and closing doors and drawers
- Slamming down buttons
- Pushing a turnstile
- Cover your ears
- Cover your eyes
- Cover your... nose.
(and more)

It's very well implemented on the 360. There are two or more Avatar awards, at least one gamer picture, and your Avatar is used in-game at one point.

The game is broken down into an introduction, 6 levels, and a conclusion. The game saves after each level, which takes 15-20 minutes. I recommend taking the game two levels at a time so as to avoid beating yourself out: the walking in place works perfectly well but does require you to lift your legs so you might feel a little tired if you try to do the game all in one go. Achievements are easy and most players would get all of them in a single playthrough. It is kid friendly, but some of the later ghosts might be a tad tough to beat if your kid can't read on-screen prompts.

The bulk of the game basically has you walking through a mansion, finding items, and using them in the appropriate room to get other items or unlock doors. You can find health pickups, extra lives (there's an achievement for finishing the game without dying and I did not find it difficult to do so except for the last boss), and newspaper clippings which give the game colour/story background. Puzzles are pretty simple and are mostly interesting just from the "I am doing the on-screen gesture it's asking me to do". The game is not on rails, and you can choose from multiple paths pretty frequently. You can also choose the order you want to tackle the levels in. The graphics are crisp and cartoony, there's little music and it's mostly used to set up a SPOOOOKY feeling, and the sound effects are perfect at making the old house seem haunted.

Only 25,000 people bought the game, and I'm really really ashamed to say when I finished the game I was #13 on the leaderboards. That's really, really too bad. Based on the way my leaderboard position changed as I went through the game, I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 1500 people have finished the game. This is a 3 hour game that anyone should be able to beat. Very sad.

Because it's short I recommend picking it up at 400msp or less if length is a concern for you. But if you're looking for a fun time to have with your Kinect, and you're the kind of person that grins at goofy Kinect gimmick stuff, I think you'd like this game. I almost wish they released a Mouse and Keyboard PC version. It'd ruin, well... the core idea of the game, but at least people would get to experience the game's overall atmosphere, which is really really fun.

The only other Kinect game I've played with free movement is Rise of Nightmares. I'd say Haunt's system works better, but Haunt also tires you out more, is shorter, and has more enclosed environments so I can't really comment about whether or not more games should be trying this movement system.

Gamejunky

So I bought Dead Block and was having fun with it, but then I had it lock up twice, once on the loading screen and once when trying to switch characters. Very annoying that something like this could happen with a XBLA game, i'm guessing because it's not a popular game no patch would be in the works either. Buyer beware for sure.

mujun

zviIb.jpg

I just doubled back and did a full playthrough of Haunt (Kinect). I would say that I liked it a lot. It combines a funny script (written and voiced by Tim Schafer), elements of a carnival haunted house, a 3D point-and-click, Trace Memory (Another Code) by Nintendo/Cing, Luigi's Mansion, and an exercise game. Oh, and it's made by NanaOn-Sha (Parappa the Rapper, Um-Jammer Lammy)

It makes 100% full use of the Kinect--literally every feature you can imagine, it uses. This includes:
- The Microphone
- Precise gestures
- Walking in place
- Running in place
- Ducking
- Dodging left and right
- Jumping
- Rotating wheels
- Answer a phone
- Slamming down buttons
- Pushing a turnstile
- Cover your ears
- Cover your eyes
- Cover your... nose.
(and more)

It's very well implemented on the 360. There are two or more Avatar awards, at least one gamer picture, and your Avatar is used in-game at one point.

The game is broken down into an introduction, 6 levels, and a conclusion. The game saves after each level, which takes 15-20 minutes. I recommend taking the game two levels at a time so as to avoid beating yourself out: the walking in place works perfectly well but does require you to lift your legs so you might feel a little tired if you try to do the game all in one go. Achievements are easy and most players would get all of them in a single playthrough. It is kid friendly, but some of the later ghosts might be a tad tough to beat if your kid can't read on-screen prompts.

The bulk of the game basically has you walking through a mansion, finding items, and using them in the appropriate room to get other items or unlock doors. You can find health pickups, extra lives (there's an achievement for finishing the game without dying and I did not find it difficult to do so except for the last boss), and newspaper clippings which give the game colour/story background. Puzzles are pretty simple and are mostly interesting just from the "I am doing the on-screen gesture it's asking me to do". The game is not on rails, and you can choose from multiple paths pretty frequently. You can also choose the order you want to tackle the levels in. The graphics are crisp and cartoony, there's little music and it's mostly used to set up a SPOOOOKY feeling, and the sound effects are perfect at making the old house seem haunted.

Only 25,000 people bought the game, and I'm really really ashamed to say when I finished the game I was #13 on the leaderboards. That's really, really too bad. Based on the way my leaderboard position changed as I went through the game, I'd hazard a guess that fewer than 1500 people have finished the game. This is a 3 hour game that anyone should be able to beat. Very sad.

Because it's short I recommend picking it up at 400msp or less if length is a concern for you. But if you're looking for a fun time to have with your Kinect, and you're the kind of person that grins at goofy Kinect gimmick stuff, I think you'd like this game. I almost wish they released a Mouse and Keyboard PC version. It'd ruin, well... the core idea of the game, but at least people would get to experience the game's overall atmosphere, which is really really fun.

The only other Kinect game I've played with free movement is Rise of Nightmares. I'd say Haunt's system works better, but Haunt also tires you out more, is shorter, and has more enclosed environments so I can't really comment about whether or not more games should be trying this movement system.

You are right about the writing and voice work. I found what I played of the demo to be very entertaining.

aku:jiki

You forgot the saddest part about those numbers... Haunt was a free download for a few days a month or two back.

I've finished Haunt, but I've not made any effort to work on the leaderboards because they felt a bit tacked on and unnecessary.

I didn't really like the game much. Which is to say, I actually quite enjoyed everything about the game except the Kinect support, which even in spite of all of those things you mentioned just felt like a waste of time. There was nothing in the game I did without saying "I'd rather be doing this with a controller," because the game is just a controller game with gestures instead of buttons. It never feels like "motion control" and so the Kinect implementation just annoyed me.

Rlan

So a few things:

- Christmas Nights Confirmed!
- Wow, 100GS for Getting gillwing all in one go? Doesn't seem that hard to do based on Youtube videos?
- Only 13 achievements? That's a bit weird.

Also the site has the box art for the Toe Jam & Earl and NiGHTS games. The TJ&E one is better than the previous SVG packs, which is good, but still uses the ugly border.

2822.png
2825.png

meppi

Sorry, yeah, 400 Gamerscore, not 400MSP. It'll probably be 800MSP?

Gamespot added a new 20 minute video of NiGHTS HD:

http://au.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_nights_into_dreams_hd20120821

One thing that bugged me in the video (besides the stupid dream comments), was that it seems like he's playing with the D-pad when you look at how abrupt NiGHTS moves.
But as it's clear how the guy is terrible at the game, it's probably just a case of him jerking the stick in all directions instead of trying to create a gliding motion like how you'd do it with the 3 controller for the Saturn.

vixlar

zviIb.jpg

- The Microphone
- Precise gestures
- Walking in place
- Running in place
- Ducking
- Dodging left and right
- Jumping
- Rotating wheels
- Answer a phone
- Slamming down buttons
- Pushing a turnstile
- Cover your ears
- Cover your eyes
- Cover your... nose.
(and more)

I just want to say this is one of the best reviews I had read. Great Work.

Rlan

Added to Xbox.com:

boxartlg.jpg

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

The end is here. Life as you knew it has gone to hell after the mother of all zombie outbreaks. Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world. You choose where to make your stand, designing and fortifying your home base, performing daring raids for food and ammunition, and rescuing other playable survivors with unique talents.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/State-of-Decay/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111e8

Also Marvel Vs. Capcom Origins Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/marvel-vs-capcom-origins/achievements/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom