• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Dashboard Update: Oct 17th

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This seems major enough to have already been posted, but my search proved fruitless, anyhoo...

Source

Microsoft has announced that they will take down Xbox Live, as well as Xbox.com, for a scheduled maintenance at midnight Pacific Time on Tuesday October 17, 2006 for up to 24 hours.

For the first hour or two that Xbox.com and Xbox Live are down, you'll get error messages—when you hit Xbox.com you'll see a Server Not Available message, and if you try to connect to Xbox Live you'll get the "can't connect" message. Don't freak. It's not your account, your computer, your browser, or your ISP. It's us. After a couple hours you will see a "We're down for maintenance" page on Xbox.com and a similar message on your Xbox console.

The downtime is worth the suffering as Microsoft promises they are adding "some cool stuff".

What kind of cool stuff?, you may ask. According to the software giant it is "secret cool stuff that we'll tell you about when we're back online October 18. Other stuff we'll be talking about later in the fall."

mood

Not according to Major Nelson

Xbox Live Service Maintenance [Poor] [Poor] [Fair] [Fair] [Average] [Average] [Good] [Good] [Excellent] [Excellent]

Xbox Live, Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on October 17th (next week.) Full details on Xbox.com, including a top 10 list of things to do while we’re working on the service. What are the top 10 things YOU’LL be doing while our operations team is hard at work on the maintenance?

BTW:When the service come back, you will not have a dashboard update. That will happen later this Fall.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mejilan said:
Wait, so the dashboard update will go up then too? Neato.

Dunno if it's just a live infrastructure update, or if there is a dashboard update. If they are adding new "stuff" then I assume something in the dash is changing, even if it just a marketplace reorganization.

EDIT: Nevermind then :lol

pswii60

Not just old, but non-existant:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1012-downtime.htm

Newsflash:
Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live
We've got some scheduled maintenance coming up and want to let everyone know that both the Xbox Live® service and Xbox.com will be offline and unavailable starting at midnight Pacific Time on Tuesday October 17, 2006 for up to 24 hours. We know you've got some questions, so here are some answers:

Q: Why? Why? Why?

A: Because we're adding some cool stuff. And we have to take the service and website offline in order to do it. We're not doing it to make you mad … really.

Q: What kind of cool stuff?

A: Secret cool stuff that we'll tell you about when we're back online October 18. Other stuff we'll be talking about later in the fall.

Q: Is this a Dashboard update?

A: Nope.

Q: So what's going to happen exactly? What's it going to look like for me?

A: For the first hour or two that Xbox.com and Xbox Live are down, you'll get error messages—when you hit Xbox.com you'll see a Server Not Available message, and if you try to connect to Xbox Live you'll get the "can't connect" message. Don't freak. It's not your account, your computer, your browser, or your ISP. It's us. After a couple hours you will see a "We're down for maintenance" page on Xbox.com and a similar message on your Xbox console.

Q: Twenty-four hours? That's a whole day!

A: Yes it is. It is also 86,400 seconds. Too bad the Xbox Operations Center isn't on Jupiter. A day there is a little less than 10 hours!

EDIT: Looks like I'm old looking at the ton of replies in the last 60 seconds!!

duckroll

sublime085 said:
Could it be somehow Lumines related? Maybe it is free like was said in that one thread .`

Yes I'm sure it'll be going up after the update, but no it's not free. In the Live Arcade thread, it's revealed that it's on Partnernet and it's 1200 points for the game and 600 points for the first add-on pack.

GhaleonEB

What kind of cool stuff?, you may ask. According to the software giant it is "secret cool stuff that we'll tell you about when we're back online October 18. Other stuff we'll be talking about later in the fall."
Probably adding some features to XBox.com. The last time they took it down along with Live, they added the messaging from the site to the 360 and back. I'd expect something along those lines again, with the Dashboard update coming in November.

But always check Major Nelson's site before trusing a second-hand report like this. He's pretty good at posting information about what to expect.

mollipen

So, when Sega said you'd be able to play the PSU beta until the 18th, they meant 12:01am on the 18th. You cheeky bastards.

Tieno

From the weekly Bungie update:

Frankie's response to a question:
I told you, didn’t I? “Make it ranked,” you said. And we did. The question above is legitimate, but a little exaggerated. There’s not really a noticeable jump in modding. But I will say this to modders, and please, spread the word if you know any. Quit now. Right now. Today. The Banhammer will look like the nicest thing we ever did pretty soon. That is the only warning I am giving, because bluntly, I want the modders to suck it down when it arrives in the night like an angry ninja.]
Hmmm, maybe has to do with the downtime?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Tieno said:
From the weekly Bungie update:

Frankie's response to a question:

Hmmm, maybe has to do with the downtime?

I wonder, bricking 360's in light of the pirating?

I'd so love for that to happen, and hear all of the pirates expose themselves as they curse MS on messageboards the world over... heh heh

armubaba said:
I would cum. Srsly. But what would they do with those whose subscriptions haven't run out?

Once you wiped off the screen, you'd probably see your remaining months converted to MS Points for the Marketplace.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tieno said:
Yes, 'banning' Halo 2 players will be the only reason why there's a downtime.
Oct 18th has nothing to do with us. But the warning remains. Stop modding and standbying in Halo 2 or you will REALLY regret it.

Mrbob

snatches said:
^^^

announce it right before Sony's gamers day FTW

Meh. Free Live Gold means we wasted our money the last 3 years. I want MS to improve their Gold service for existing paying customers.

snatches

Mrbob said:
Meh. Free Live Gold means we wasted our money the last 3 years. I want MS to improve their Gold service for existing paying customers.

I want them to add functionality and make it better and make it free. It needs to be free.

Mrbob

snatches said:
I want them to add functionality and make it better and make it free. It needs to be free.

I disagree that it needs to be free. I'm sure MS could offer general online play for free. But there should be plenty of dedicated servers up and running for gold users.

ChrisReid

Lo-Volt said:
God, Microsoft, please do it. Please.

You people need to stop even hoping for free XBox Live. Just two weeks ago they released a bundle with the Camera and a year of XBox Live together. They're not going to suddenly make that worthless.

GhaleonEB

ChrisReid said:
You people need to stop even hoping for free XBox Live. Just two weeks ago they released a bundle with the Camera and a year of XBox Live together. They're not going to suddenly make that worthless.

Dirtbag

kinda urks me that they pick the day I will be playing a new game (Splinter Cell) to take down live.

Why can't they take live down on a monday for 24 hours... stupid to wait till tuesday!

mood

Oh god if Halo 2 modders were somehow permabanned from Live that would almost be worth having the xbox cracked to allow cheaters.

GhaleonEB

Vigo the Carpathian said:
Big changes a coming with the next update.

One in particular makes me very excited while looking at a particular upcoming title. :)
eh? you some kind of closet insider?

Top Bottom