• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live: Fall 2011 Dashboard update preview

DodgerSan

Gillian Seed said:
Can we still use our Premium Themes? Or are they putting out new Themes?
Oh, I think you can guess :|

"You can still use all your existing themes! What, they aren't formatted right and look like crap? Well, that's why we have... METRO THEMES(tm)!!!

DodgerSan said:
Oh, I think you can guess :|

"You can still use all your existing themes! What, they aren't formatted right and look like crap? Well, that's why we have... METRO THEMES(tm)!!!

Metro Themes? WTH?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2&2 said:
Batman comes out October 18 w/ 3d support. Wonder if the 3d support is part of the new update. I thought I saw a leaked screen confirming 3d support, but it kinda looked like the old dash.
360 has had 3D support foreeeever. They just don't market that shit like Sony for obvious reasons. Avatar and Crysis 2 supported 3D on 360 IIRC.

@Gillian Seed, Metro is the name of the new UI and aesthetic MS is applying to all of it's products. The new dash is pretty much a result of MS's decision to push Metro aggressively.

yurinka

enzo_gt said:
360 has had 3D support foreeeever. They just don't market that shit like Sony for obvious reasons. Avatar and Crysis 2 supported 3D on 360 IIRC.
At least Avatar mandtates HDMI-enabled 360 consoles. I assume you're not talking about Batman AA GOTY edition (not available in the normal game SKU as I remember) anaglyph 3D.

mocoworm

MS "targeting" 25th Nov for XBL update

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-10-ms-targeting-25th-nov-for-xbl-update

Microsoft is "targeting" Friday, 25th November to launch its Xbox Live update, according to a new report.

GigaOM's sources said the code that new apps set to go live with the new update is based on a modified version of Microsoft's Silverlight development framework.

The update adds a raft of new features, including BBC, LOVEFiLM, Channel 4 and Channel 5 apps. Kinect voice recognition and voice control will also be added.

"The goal is to quickly mature the platform, with the potential of enabling other third-party developers to eventually use the Lakeview framework to build their own apps for the Xbox 360 console," GigaOM reports.

Last week's news of expanded TV options for XBL was part of a larger announcement detailing around 40 new TV and entertainment providers being added to the service in various countries around the globe later this year.

The Xbox 360 dashboard is also redesigned in a layout Microsoft calls Twist Control.

You can use the Xbox 360 controller to flick between channels that display at the top of the screen. You can also use your voice and hands to navigate and search, through motion-sensing add-on Kinect.

mocoworm

Just realised that the article mentions BBC. I thought that the BBC had not agreed to put content on XBOX as it had to be free ?

Dabanton

I know voice and motion control works with youtube i hope it's the same with all the other channels.

Would be cool searching for programmes quickly and efficiently.

The most interesting part of the original Gigaom article is the notion that the Silverlight framework that the new apps are being built on is being readied for other third party devs to make apps for the console.

"It’s not just little things that are changing in the code, either. Sources say Microsoft has made fundamental additions and subtractions to Lakeview’s capabilities over the past several weeks, causing partners to update and retest their apps with each new release. The goal is to quickly mature the platform, with the potential of enabling other third-party developers to eventually use the Lakeview framework to build their own apps for the Xbox 360 console."

The decision to use Apple’s HTTP Live Streaming will probably make it easier for devs who already have an app on iOS to move to Xbox 360 development, and probably Windows Phone 7/Windows 8 too (if all 3 will eventually share apps which I think is the larger goal).

November 15th was the rumoured launch date. With this article stating they want it out before Black Friday, it seems likely to be true.

Hela said:
Shouldn't they design the dashbord once, but well, rather than changing it every few months?

The NXE Was horribly designed, but initially well received. It will be good to have a more functioning XBL dash than the NXE trash we've had to suffer through for 2 years.

Slayven

I kind of miss the blades. I am probably the only person on earth that still have all the themes the 360 shipped with

Is this an update where most of the functionality will be useable using Kinect or will controller people still find this useable

planar1280 said:
Is this an update where most of the functionality will be useable using Kinect or will controller people still find this useable

Still very usable with a controller. Kinect works great on it as well. It's much better than having the separate Kinect Dash.

venne

Iced_Eagle said:
Still very usable with a controller. Kinect works great on it as well. It's much better than having the separate Kinect Dash.

True, the Kinect Dash sucks. Totally tacked on.

This is probably what they wanted from the start with Kinect, but didn't want to delay the release for it.

Gorki247

I just noticed that I've received a status update on the Connect site - It's titled 'Next Steps - as of 10/17/2011'. Nothing much new, but it does include a clear confirmation that I've been accepted in the preview.

I quote "... know that you are "IN" for the Fall 2011 Xbox LIVE Update Preview program and we are ecstatic to have you on board!"

Anyway, it might be worth checking the Connect portal to see if you're in. Cannot wait. Hope they roll out the preview real soon!

Gorki247 said:
I just noticed that I've received a status update on the Connect site - It's titled 'Next Steps - as of 10/17/2011'. Nothing much new, but it does include a clear confirmation that I've been accepted in the preview.

I quote "... know that you are "IN" for the Fall 2011 Xbox LIVE Update Preview program and we are ecstatic to have you on board!"

Anyway, it might be worth checking the Connect portal to see if you're in. Cannot wait. Hope they roll out the preview real soon!

Says the same for me too.

Cool :)

feel

IN!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

angelfly

In +1

_woLf said:
Better question: did anyone not get in that applied in time?
From the sign up it seemed like they had a limit and everyone that signed up before they reached it was getting in.

Top Bottom