• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Backlogger

While I appreciate that they are all on sale this week (smart on Rockstar and MS) but they have all been cheaper in previous sales. I may still grab TAble Tennis though. I already have GTA:SA. I'll wait for MC:LA to be cheaper.

f445a238f68f56e5cb1621186a8bdbb4.gif

So, can you play the OG Xbox version of GTA SA or you can only get the Xbox 360 version ?

As far as I know OG San Andreas from 2005 (Original Xbox version) is playable on xboner one AND xbox 360. It is the definitive console version, as it includes the 10 cut songs from later san andreas ports and better graphics than the ps2 version.

However, if you like the yellow bloom piss filter from the ps2 version, that's gone in the xbox version. For some this is a nostalgia killer as it changes the atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:
there's gotta be some kind of "logical" explanation of why they won't release ninja gaiden 2. Just curious what the fuck are they thinking?

The logical explanation is most likely resource specific/financial. BC requires the rewriting or retooling of the emulator that runs a particular game. Each game comes with an emulation layer that is tailored for it. This could require a small team working for weeks or even months and would end up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. And then there are licensing issues and fees. I doubt that Microsoft makes any money off any of these games as its just a value adding service. At best it might break even with digital sales eventually.

Last edited:

Vercimber

Okay, MS, you did us right with Panzer Dragoon Orta. Now give the same treatment to JSRF. And the Otogis. (And, although impossible due to licensing issues, Outrun 2 & Afterburner Climax).
For starters, just add 4k JSRF. Please.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Finally got around to trying RDR on the One X and holy crap does that look good. Too bad they couldn't fix the controls though.

Leonidas

Original Saint's Row runs a lot better now than it did on 360.

Xbox One X has the performance advantage, but the Xbox One S is still a massive improvement over the Xbox 360 original.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Xbox One X has the performance advantage, but the Xbox One S is still a massive improvement over the Xbox 360 original.

I've been playing the first Saints Row and it's been a blast. I remember on Xbox 360 they patched the game and added an option to disable vsync to increase performance. On stock Xbox One the game runs with vsync enabled with no performance drops. I haven't tried it on my X yet, but I'm sure it's at least as good.

Well I have my pre-E3 weekend gaming lineup all sorted! These two rocked (heh) up today:

T6GUEqt.png

I might put in a few laps into Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed too. Here's hoping that we get a bunch of new back compat titles announced next week (and 4k enhanced titles).

Could you let me know if you get the original GTA xbox release (with soundtrack) on the Xbox One please? I'm thinking of buying the original version but want to make sure I don't waste my cash.

Will do mate. From the wording in the press release I'm 99.9% sure that Rockstar are going to force the bad 360 version on us though.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I thought it was already known.
Whether you have the original Xbox disc or not, MS is just going to put a digital copy of the 360 image in your library.

Oemenia

Banned

I honestly wonder what part of the system early-gen 360 titles struggled with.

Pantz

Any idea why I can't purchase Forza Horizon (1) digitally? When I go to see the price on Xbox One it says Sorry This offer is not valid in your region. I'm in NA and it's listed on all the NA stores. Tried on Xbox 360 and Xbox's website, 360 doesn't have a purchase button and website opens a new window to the game when trying to purchase instead of the normal process.

Allandor

Any idea why I can't purchase Forza Horizon (1) digitally? When I go to see the price on Xbox One it says Sorry This offer is not valid in your region. I'm in NA and it's listed on all the NA stores. Tried on Xbox 360 and Xbox's website, 360 doesn't have a purchase button and website opens a new window to the game when trying to purchase instead of the normal process.
This game can no longer get sold because of the ingame music which is no longer licensed. …. Greedy music companies only sell timed contracts or the songs are way to expensive to get build into a game.
That's also why some songs were patched out from GTA IV, so it can still get sold.

If you already own this game you can still download it, but you can't purchase it anymore. Look for a cheap Disc-Version if you want to play this.

I've been playing Midnight Club LA for a couple of hours this afternoon and it's a really good, open-world, arcade racer.

The rubber banding AI opponents can get slightly frustrating, especially on some longer races. And the fact that they rarely make mistakes means that if you make a wrong turn or crash, it's best just to restart. But I can see myself returning to it for short gameplay sessions for quite some while. Oh and the soundtrack is great too.

I'm really glad that I picked it up as I was well over due for some arcade racing action :D.

Also, the retail standard edition disc of the game actually gives you a digital copy of the "Complete Edition" with all of the DLC. So if you come across an uber cheap copy of the standard edition, definitely pick it up (Morrowind does the same thing too).

TheWatcher

Banned
What a great day for the rebellion!

My favorite fucking game! I will be playing Survival on Resistance all weekend!

Fan-fucking-tastic!

Calibos

Looking alright to me, but I am not home yet to have a controller in my hand.

Sometimes, when these BC games launch, they need some revisions before they are perfect(ish)

frogger

I am keep getting 300-400 mb update on all Xbox 360 BC titles on X, I own like 400 of them. What are these? They cannot all be X enhancement.

YoshiMax

I am keep getting 300-400 mb update on all Xbox 360 BC titles on X, I own like 400 of them. What are these? They cannot all be X enhancement.

Updates to the emulator - a lot of games share the same emulator build so if a new game comes along or they find a way to further optimise it and they tweak it all the associated titles receive the update.

Just recently watched a Rainbow Six Vegas 2 video by gggmanlives and afterwards realized I have the game in my BC list. Enjoying it so far.

After the Codemasters Twitter account teased a new back compat announcement yesterday I was hoping for it to be Dirt 2. I'm gutted that I'm going to have to continue waiting for that one. But Grid Autosport is still a nice surprise.

I wonder when the next batch of 4k & OG Xbox games are going to be announced? It feels like it's been a long while.

Last edited:

dolabla

I didn't even know about MW3 getting the backwards compatible treatment. That's cool. I just tried it out.

That also has to mean MW2 is inevitable. I'm interested to go back and try MW2. I know it was super popular, but I didn't really like it. I beat the campaign, played some online and sold it. I just recently bought the Modern Warfare Collection though so now I have it again.

I'd really love to see the Medal of Honor reboot with improved performance become backwards compatible. While short, I loved the campaign of that game.

This stuff is taking me back talking about it, lol. Anybody remember that website Lens of Truth that used to do the Head2Head PS3 vs. 360 comparisons? Whatever happened to them?

RPGCrazied

I just got Arkham Origins. I also ordered Gears 1, 2 and 3 with Judgement.

I now have those along with Blue Dragon, Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption. I've only had my Xbox One for about a month, nice little collection I got going. Next on my list is Lost Odyssey at some point.

Top Bottom