• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Black Friday Deals Announced (Starts November 20th)

Maxim726X

I don't mean to shit up the thread, but realistically- If you have a powerful enough PC, what's the impetus of buying a One?

The only game I really want to play that can't be played elsewhere is the Master Chief Collection (which is still shit?), what other compelling reasons are there to buy the console?

JeffG

I don't mean to shit up the thread, but realistically- If you have a powerful enough PC, what's the impetus of buying a One?

The only game I really want to play that can't be played elsewhere is the Master Chief Collection (which is still shit?), what other compelling reasons are there to buy the console?
No compelling reasons

All these people are fucking crazy.

icespide

Banned

UHD blu-ray, Xbox 360 BC I guess?

Flux

Rare replay, sunset overdrive come to mind. But if I were in your position I would just stick to a PC and buy any Windows 10 or Play Anywhere titles that are available. It's never really a good idea to buy a console for one game.

Exclusive software. I can't play Sunset Overdrive on PC, for example. Not to mention a ton of BC X360 games.

Also, even for the games that are on PC (Gears 4, FH3, etc.), a lot of people refuse to use the Win10 store to play them (or even upgrade to Win10) so as far as those people are concerned those are still worthwhile exclusives.

BTW, MCC works fine in single-player which is still worth it.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

Conversely, if you love to play games but aren't a tweaker, what's the impetus to build a powerful PC?

Consoles are just all around easier to manage and less to keep up with. Plus, there are no plasma PC monitors. I can't stand playing games on LCD.

Maxim726X

Exclusive software. I can't play Sunset Overdrive on PC, for example. Not to mention a ton of BC X360 games.

Also, even for the games that are on PC (Gears 4, FH3, etc.), a lot of people refuse to use the Win10 store to play them (or even upgrade to Win10) so as far as those people are concerned those are still worthwhile exclusives.

BTW, MCC works fine in single-player which is still worth it.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'd need to check out the list of backward compatible games... There are a few for the 360 I never finished. I do have Windows 10 and a powerful PC, but I've read the horror stories about how games have been performing.

The price is insane. I'm definitely considering it.

For me

- the cheapest 4k player which happens to double as a game console

- an ever growing library of BC 360 and xbox live arcade games, some of which I'd like access to again after selling my 360

- The odd exclusive that I may want to play like RARE replay, or in the case of something like Forza Horizon 3, played better on the One due to a problematic PC port and HDR exclusive to the One version.

- My son is a HUGE Halo fan, and a few years ago we used to play alot of one on one arena battles. We'd like to revisit that via the MCC

Believe me, I have a half-way decent rig and I've asked myself the same question

ElNino

There are still plenty of games that aren't on PC, and not everyone wants a PC in the family/game room for their family to use along with them (with their own accounts).

My son is a huge Madden fan (and NBA 2k to a lesser extent), so a gaming PC would do us no good.

Theorry

Jesus..

....lgsov.png

No compelling reasons

All these people are fucking crazy.
I hate this PC Master Race bullshit and I don't understand why it's even allowed here. There are countless reasons why someone wants to game on a console, PC, or any combination of the two. Why does it even matter? A game is a game is a game is a game.

You need the digital copy for Play Anywhere. Gears 4, Horizon 3, and ReCore will receive big deals digitally though, so wait until XBL deals are announced.

Don't expect a big deal on Horizon 3. The game has been absent from all of the retail black friday ads. 20 percent off if we're lucky. Forza games never get heavily discounted unfortunately.

I want to get Recore, but everyone was saying at launch the XOne version was entirely busted.

Is it still the case?

Definitely not. The initial load times when entering new areas or dungeons felt as slow as a week in the jail, after the last update though its all good. Load times are still a bit long but that's about it.

The game is a blast and dare I say it, a bit of a hidden joule ;)

Welfare

Don't expect a big deal on Horizon 3. The game has been absent from all of the retail black friday ads. 20 percent off if we're lucky. Forza games never get heavily discounted unfortunately.

Forza games are usually bundled but it looks like MS are fine with it selling on its own.

lol

I love when people try to tell me how I should spend my hard earned money.

huh1678

Banned
$249 for the slim is like normal price to me, there is always a sale even before BF though. Needs to be cheaper ;)

flkraven

"If you have a powerful enough PC" is a caveat itself, since that isn't always the case, but specific to the Xbox One S:

1. UHD/4K Bluray player
2. Games you can't get on PC (Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay, Master Chief, Halo 5)
3. Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, for all the last gen games that didn't make it to PC (Cough, Red Dead Redemption)

But also the reasons why you would own a console even if you own a PC:
1. Can't be bothered with the complexities of PC ownership (ie, driver updates, keeping up with require specs, changing setting, etc.). Console is plug and play (after hours of automatic patches lol).
2. Prefer using a controller. Sure you can use one on PC, but I'm not playing multiplayer FPS's with controller vs PC KB/M users.
3. Familiarity with the environment/eco system. Just feel comfortable gaming on consoles (or this console)
4. Want to still use physical media. A big benefit of PC is digital game prices, but those are none existent for people that still want to by disks.

Lastly, there is always the chance that this person doesn't have a capable PC. In this case, console ownership is a no brainer and the benefit of Xbox One S is that first party games are cross-buy, meaning they will be waiting for you on PC if you do decide to switch platforms.

shandy706

Oh wow....apparently one bundle will be...

Microsoft Xbox One S Battlefield 1 SE Bundle + $25 MS GC + Free Select Game for $249 + Free Shipping @ the Microsoft Store/Website

Would be great if amazon of best buy had a free game included with purchase now that would be a great deal who knows maybe they will do it next week..I have credit at amazon either going to get the PS4 PRO there or the XBOX ONE S whoever gives the better promotion..I already have enough controllers just would really like a free game, so I can get Watch Dogs 2 or Dishonored

I hope the $20 Recore deal expands to Xbox Live as I have $15 in promo funds that will expire Thanksgiving Day (lol). Expired money...jeez. I gotta use it before then! Give me a good digital deal MS!

With Trump as the next president, here is hope that the Canadian dollar gets stronger so that we may enjoy comparable deals to those offered in the US...

Mrbob

Oh wow....apparently one bundle will be...

Microsoft Xbox One S Battlefield 1 SE Bundle + $25 MS GC + Free Select Game for $249 + Free Shipping @ the Microsoft Store/Website
This is great deal as long as the free select game isnt garbage. I might have to bite.

Wedzi

Banned
Since going mostly digital this year I'm really hoping for some good Xbox Store deals though brick and mortar stores are really bringing it this year.

Top Bottom