• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

That's about what I expected. Not really thrilled, but not really surprised either. Kind of a shame that they've gone the service route, here.

gI2xGJT.png

Welp
If this is true, it's gonna be one hell of a show :D

I want this to be true for so many reasons.
Is someone going to make a thread on this?

The 360 has that in some form. When you try to download something using the website and fire up a second console it'll say it's assigned to another console. You can switch it easily, which makes me think it's not quite as defined as the One's 'primary' tag will be.

This is true. It's why you need to *migrate* your content if you ever get a newer 360. 360s native DRM is that you can play on the "primary" console for any profile on that console or you can play on additional consoles if you are logged in to XBL.

Dunkers92

Keep telling yourself that. Who is more likely to trade/sell/rent ect? That be the more casual gamers and gamers under 18. It will be a huge deal to parents who already are turned off by the high cost of console gaming. You think parents are going to be happy the only way to get a game is to spend 59.99 on a game the kid beats in a week and can't trade/sell it to play another game? The used game market puts 2+ billion dollars into gamers hands to buy new games every year. Raise the price of console game and less people will console game. It will just drive more people under 13 to tablet/phone gaming. Gaming is already an expensive hobby but to basically double the price of games makes it impossible to afford for most.

This

DeeKay86

Neo Member
My first post on neoGaf, be gentle! haha!

This community is amazing, can't believe I haven't taken the time to register on here before now. I am an avid user of online forums and this seems huge!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I want this to be true for so many reasons.
Is someone going to make a thread on this?

Why?

If Sony is creating an preowned games division, appointing a pre owned games VP etc. wouldn't that indicate that they're doing something restrictive too?

Why would they need a new division/VP if preowned games were just going to work the way t hey always have? What would they be overseeing if gamers could just sell/trade/give their games to anyone or any retailer they chose?

Maybe I'm just pessimistic and paranoid at this point, but this worries me that Sony is setting some kind of in house game trade in for PSN credit system rather than working with participating retailers like MS. Or setting up their own online game exchange thing where they charge a fee for user to user trades or something. I guess that could be ok depending on the fee.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
My first post on neoGaf, be gentle! haha!

This community is amazing, can't believe I haven't taken the time to register on here before now. I am an avid user of online forums and this seems huge!

This is one of the best if not the best forum on the internet.

Welcome Jr

BigDug13

The 360 has that in some form. When you try to download something using the website and fire up a second console it'll say it's assigned to another console. You can switch it easily, which makes me think it's not quite as defined as the One's 'primary' tag will be.

It used to not be able to be switched easily. People had genuine problems getting Microsoft to allow them to reset which system is their "home" system after Microsoft started sending refurbished systems to people who had RROD problems. What you see now is finally a solution the user can do which is go online and deactivate the old console and activate the new one as their "main" or "home" console.

I would hope they learned their mistake and will allow the same process with XBO's if you end up losing yours or it breaks. And since it's all online required anyway, even if your console is stolen, releasing it from being your home console would screw whoever was trying to play it.

Still doesn't make up for the negative features IMO.

Why?

If Sony is creating an preowned games division, appointing a pre owned games VP etc. wouldn't that indicate that they're doing something restrictive too?

Why would they need a new division/VP if preowned games were just going to work the way t hey always have? What would they be overseeing if gamers could just sell/trade/give their games to anyone or any retailer they chose?

Maybe I'm just pessimistic and paranoid at this point, but this worries me that Sony is setting some kind of in house game trade in for PSN credit system rather than working with participating retailers like MS.
You're reading waaay much into this. KB's jobs have always been jokes, and this being true would mean the same thing. They would joke about how they have someone to protect used games as they are, that kind of shit.

Snubbers

Only one person will be able to play anyone game at anyone time.

In order to access the shared folder you will need to be online at all times on all machines accessing it. They allow an hour which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

If you think anything else will happen I would have to question your sanity.

I think we all need our sanity checking ;)

Please point out in the announcement where does it say one person?

The double standard around here is pretty pathetic , any idiot that think publishers will let Sony keep the PS360 status queue for DRM and used games is drinking the Sony kool-aid of wishful dreaming.

Anecdotally it doesnt look like Sony will be following in MS footsteps. For one thing the system doesnt need to check in or be connected to the internet at all, which would make any kind of DRM useless. Also we have comments from several Sony executives that are openly mocking MS DRM plan. Probably a good sign that Sony wont be doing the same thing as MS.

But what this all really comes down to is that only a damned fool would think or say that waht MS and publishers are trying here is ok. And if Sony reveals at some point that they are heading down the same road you will see the same reactions toward Sony as you see towards MS. Right now you are probably somehow trying to convince yourself that isnt true. But much like your support of this grossly invasive and terribly designed DRM, you will be wrong.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You're reading waaay much into this. KB's jobs have always been jokes, and this being true would mean the same thing. They would joke about how they have someone to protect used games as they are, that kind of shit.

Ah, got you. I don't really keep up with industry names and things like that much.

KarmaCow

http://i.imgur.com/gI2xGJT.png[IMG]

Welp
If this is true, it's gonna be one hell of a show :D[/QUOTE]

I would hope that Sony realised that the Kevin Butler joke ran it's course right about when they brought him into the last E3 event to give some dumb speech.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Isnt the "up to 10 family members" feature fairly exploitable? If your games can be acessed by up to 10 people from any console, couldnt you and your family/friends simply all share one game, with the only restriction being that only one person at a time can play?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is Kevin Butler an even bigger joke than Don Mattrick at this point? I don't know if their his opinions or all scripted, but to trot an executive out there in ads to tout some of the fanboy bull&%& he was spewing is beyond incompetent. Think he lost all his credibility a long time ago.

thumb

Banned
Is Kevin Butler an even bigger joke than Don Mattrick at this point? I don't know if their his opinions or all scripted, but to trot an executive out there in ads to tout some of the fanboy bull&%& he was spewing is beyond incompetent. Think he lost all his credibility a long time ago.

Kevin Butler is not real. He's an actor paid by Sony.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Fucking hell.

derExperte

I don't know what is going on anymore. I just don't..

Marleyman

Banned

Definitely scripted; he is an actor.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Gestault

I can't tell if this is real or not.

lol

From the article released yesterday:

The games in your library will be attached to your console and gamertag. All the games attached to a console can be played by any account logged into that console. All the games attached to your gamertag can be played on any console, within the 1 hour ping limit. The most logical way the family thing works is that it will allow multiply accounts to be associated with 1 primary console so multiple people can access the games on 1 console.

That's how it is now, but that's not tying your gamertag to a primary console. You're tying the game to a primary console that is associated with an account. What you said was tying accounts to a primary console which is different than a primary console being associated with a game.

Right the 360 has it in the sense the system you first activate it on becomes primary for that piece of content, but nothing about assigning your gamertag/account having the concept of one system is the primary system.

It's a big difference.

Liberty4all

Banned
Butler is a god.

He single handedly turned PS3 commercials from shit to awesome. They never got old. I hope to god they bring him back.

Jesus man...

Sonys ship is currently water tight, they have probably retreated whilst MS keeps firing it's acid jizz spurts in gamers faces so they can figure out how to best leverage the situation.

E3 has the chance to be spectacular or a massive let down.

Maybe this will lead to "The Cerny Method 2.0 - How to deal with the pressures from Publishers for DRM while keeping customers happy"

Dude is a genius, he will help Sony get all this straightened out by Monday Night!

we're really starting to see the lines drawn in the industry. now more than ever we're seeing the publishers and platform makers partner up and bully the consumer into things we don't want. it's an uphill battle that we'll probably lose because it's much easier to control a single company/corporation than it is to control millions of individuals.

props to the passionate members at GAF and the ongoing movement to reverse some of these unwanted policies. makes be proud to be on this side of the fence

E3 has the chance to be spectacular or a massive let down.

it's crazy, totally overdue for new consoles and we should be hyped as fuck but all this usedgames/DRM shit is bringing us down.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn it, I should've known better. Didn't even look at the posters name. *shakes fist!* :p

I must admit E3 is so much more interesting and exciting this year despite all the DRM nonsense. It's very entertaining to see it all unfold, some drama going on.

Fixed1979

Top Bottom