• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

eastx

I watched a clip in the store and the player took a swing and 68 pages worth of text popped up on the screen. I ran away.

You can toggle the version sections of information on and off, like the log in the top-right corner and the info on the unit you're using. But Mordheim's a very niche PC-style game squeezed onto consoles. Some things like menus and deploying units are super cumbersome since the devs seem to be inexperienced with consoles. On the plus side, multiplayer fully supports text chat, which is cool.

So, links to the Xbox One store haven't worked on my desktop's browser (Chrome) since they merged the PC and Xbox store, but I see people linking to items there. Is there some way to view these in a browser? Or maybe get it to open in the Win10 store app?

Vert boil

A bunch of people have that issue, myself included. Try what scarface suggested or try another browser.
The store doesn't work in Cyberfox for me but it works fine in Chrome and Edge. Other people have different combinations of browsers that do or don't work. It's an odd one.

There's the Xbox app but you'd have to manually find things in it.

Vert boil

Released today,

Horse Racing 2016 - 30$, 1.18GB.
(Trial available. Two hours, unlocks achievements (470gs ;).)

Slain: Back from Hell - 15$, 462MB.

The Jackbox Party Pack 3 - 25$, 1.76GB.

New Bundle,

Crimson Chrome Bundle - 25$
(Crimsonland and Neon Chrome)

U2NUMB

So many of these games should be at or under $10.. the hunting and monster truck ones.. Seems many more would impulse buy it if they just adjusted to what their product most likely is worth.

So many of these games should be at or under $10.. the hunting and monster truck ones.. Seems many more would impulse buy it if they just adjusted to what their product most likely is worth.
Unfortunately they suffer from weird market delusions..."our budget was X so our game must be worth Y!" The reality is if Horse Racing 2016 was $10 instead of $30 people might actually buy it like they do Goat Simulator.

Montresor

I finished Virginia lately. Solid point-and-click adventure game. I give it a 4.5/5 but!!! There's a big but. To anyone that is thinking of playing this game, be sure to understand this game is a little more like Dear Esther in terms of interactivity than something like Firewatch or The Witness.

In Virginia, all you really do is walk forward and click A on items to move the story forward. But what a story it is. There are no puzzles in this game but trying to piece together what the story means is a puzzle in itself! The game has a beautiful art style and _incredible_ music.

I also finished episodes 6-8 of Minecraft Story Mode... they are surprisingly excellent. I didn't think episodes 1-5 were amazing or even great, just hovering over good/mediocre. Episodes 6-8 had some awesome, awesome storylines. Episode 6 was a
whodunnit murder mystery
, Episode 7 had an interesting storyline about
hyper-intelligent AI and slavery/control
, and Episode 8 had its own take on the
Hunger Games concept

What did these characters even do in Episodes 1-5? All I remember is a bunch of boring adventures. Episodes 6-8 were rock solid. I won't change my score of 3/5 that I gave the game a couple of months ago. But man, if you were on the fence on Episodes 6-8, I'd say dive in.

U2NUMB

You know you buy too many digital games when you log in and you have an extra $56 in reward money... Dead Rising 4 gonna be really cheap!

How is Sat Morning RPG? I have the Limited Run PS4 version but its still sealed..

Flux

Clustertruck is fantastic. Everytime I describe I automatically start saying or typing the other word.

Anyways, great first person platformer that really nails the sense of movement and how silly the premise is.

Clustertruck is fantastic. Everytime I describe I automatically start saying or typing the other word.

Anyways, great first person platformer that really nails the sense of movement and how silly the premise is.

I hated Clustertruck before I was able to unlock double jump. Then it got so damn good. Already played through the trial. Might wait for it to drop in price a bit before jumping in though.

Billfisto

Just a heads-up:

If you're thinking about buying Clustertruck but have the ability to buy it on PCs, buy it there instead. The PS4 version doesn't include invert Y, the level builder, shared levels, and didn't get the Halloween update that was advertised for today, and the Xbone version will most likely be the same.

Tinybuild (the company responsible for the console version) doesn't seem to care, noncommittally saying a patch may go out in "several months".

U2NUMB

So anyone know whats up with the 2 Atari Flashback Classics games / packs that are already out and in stores for PS4 but different release dates for X1 are floating around.

These originally had the same release date. Was it a certification thing?

Flux

I hated Clustertruck before I was able to unlock double jump. Then it got so damn good. Already played through the trial. Might wait for it to drop in price a bit before jumping in though.

It kind of reminds me of Flash games I'd play to waste time during computer classes in middle-high school, in a good way. It is fairly short so yeah don't blame you but good that you got the most out of your trial.

Montresor

Finished off Hue (4.5/5 - fantastic puzzle game with a colour-switching mechanic for puzzle solving), and 140 (3/5 - amazing music but the game's platforming is pretty shallow, fun game play, but short).

I need to know if The Bunker is worth it - it's on sale right now.

Anyone played and liked it?

jesu

Just noticed Gas Guzzlers is coming out.
I've got it on PC and have to play it on the lowest settings but it's pretty good.
Xbox version might not be so good though.
Team VVV wasn't impressed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UU4j65JZo

I'll be waiting for reviews to see if they get it running better.

Finished off Hue (4.5/5 - fantastic puzzle game with a colour-switching mechanic for puzzle solving), and 140 (3/5 - amazing music but the game's platforming is pretty shallow, fun game play, but short).

I need to know if The Bunker is worth it - it's on sale right now.

Anyone played and liked it?

I enjoyed The Bunker.
It's not much of a game, but it's something different at least.
It's not great but it's interesting.

Montresor

Thanks for the heads up Jesu. That's not enough for me to bite. I just bought 4 indies and only had a 50% success rate (where a success means the game is AWESOME).

Bought Hue, Virginia, 140, and Among the Sleep. Only Hue and Virginia were great. The more I think of 140 the more I start to dislike the game's shallow presentation and game play. And Among The Sleep is buggy and frustrating. I ran into a big where the game wouldn't let me unpause. And a big that made me lose all my progress. Then I got near the end of level 3 and hit Main Menu on the pause screen by accident. No biggie I thought - but when I reloaded my save it put me at the beginning of level 3. Ugh.... Maybe that's not a big and the game is designed to not have save points mid-level.... Still annoying.

I don't think I can justify spending anything on The Bunker at this point. The game looks unique but it seems to just be mediocre. Not great.

I need to start playing more AAA games. Gotta finish Gears 4 and hopefully at some point pick up Mafia, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2.

flkraven

What would guys think if they implemented system-wide achievements that actually add to your GS? I know some people don't care about achievements, so this question is for you.

Some exampled would be:

Played 20 backwards compatible games - 25g
Completed (100% - 1000GS or 200GS for old arcade games) 10 games - 50g
Played X hours of FPS games - 25g

you could even allow developers to run their own (obviously with a limit to the amount of GS that can be given out). Example:

Completed the Campaign in Battlefield 4, Hardline, and Battlefield 1 - 25GS

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (don't want them tossing out thousands of GS), what would you guys think of something like this? Would even further reward those that stay within the ecosystem.

Vert boil

What would guys think if they implemented system-wide achievements that actually add to your GS? I know some people don't care about achievements, so this question is for you.

Some exampled would be:

Played 20 backwards compatible games - 25g
Completed (100% - 1000GS or 200GS for old arcade games) 10 games - 50g
Played X hours of FPS games - 25g

you could even allow developers to run their own (obviously with a limit to the amount of GS that can be given out). Example:

Completed the Campaign in Battlefield 4, Hardline, and Battlefield 1 - 25GS

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (don't want them tossing out thousands of GS), what would you guys think of something like this? Would even further reward those that stay within the ecosystem.

If you want that crap just sign up to GTN and become a badge whore.
The worst thing they could do is undermine the achievement system. Thankfully the challenge nonsense failed hard but the laughable rarity system isn't a great sign.

Montresor

The worst thing they could do is undermine the achievement system. Thankfully the challenge nonsense failed hard but the laughable rarity system isn't a great sign.

My man. I dislike challenges too. But to be fair, Forza Horizon 3 has used a festival called #Forzathon, with in-game menus, rewards, and DJ chatter to make challenges compelling. But in every other game it has been a detriment in my eyes.

What don't you like about the rarity system?

flkraven

I'm just confused as to what this means? The achievement system is basically a reward for playing games. You get 1000 for fully completing a game, but that score moves up arbitrarily based on DLC (some DLC gives you zero, while other DLC can give anywhere from 250 to another 1000). My suggestion would just further augment that, adding the odd achievement across games. It would actually encourage replayability, so when the second or third game comes out, there may be an achievement for playing all 3 a certain way, etc.

Vert boil

My man. I dislike challenges too. But to be fair, Forza Horizon 3 has used a festival called #Forzathon, with in-game menus, rewards, and DJ chatter to make challenges compelling. But in every other game it has been a detriment in my eyes.

What don't you like about the rarity system?

It isn't a rarity system, it's an everyone gets a trophy system. At the start of last month about 57% of One/Win10 achievements were rare.

I'm just confused as to what this means? The achievement system is basically a reward for playing games. You get 1000 for fully completing a game, but that score moves up arbitrarily based on DLC (some DLC gives you zero, while other DLC can give anywhere from 250 to another 1000). My suggestion would just further augment that, adding the odd achievement across games. It would actually encourage replayability, so when the second or third game comes out, there may be an achievement for playing all 3 a certain way, etc.

There has already been disquiet within the core audience this gen with the game is a game change that has trivialised the achievement system. Without that core audience (a portion of them are overly keen for the achievement system), they would have been truly fucked at the start of this gen. The achievement system is one of the few gems MS have and every time they poke and prod at it, the more they erode the artifice and undermine the whole system. So essentially, you don't mess with the golden goose.

Developers have already covered most of your adds within game and their achievement already. Happy dungeon dumping a shitton of crap on you for playing Happy Wars, Forza giving you cars for earning achievements in previous game and Mass Effect giving you a meaty achievement for finishing the game with an imported character. Devs/pubs that care will continue to do this.

The dlc system has always been a mess. The strictness of last gen being mixed in with the service games excess of this gen is quite a sight.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I liked it when challenges gave different rewards (like special artwork, or in-game items). Use them like long-lasting pre-orders incentives (where playing the game early gave you something cool), and I had no issue with them. I actually enjoyed the Dead Rising 3 ones.

But as far as system wide achievements... it wouldn't be HORRIBLE, and it's really fit how Microsoft promotes things (Such as how many active users are on XBL, how many years you've been on Live, etc). Using them to encourage buying a series on the console could only help them as well (such as giving out exclusive add-ons for owning previous versions.)

Osla

Neo Member
New Xbox One user here. I have Gold membership and want to download the 360 game Monkey Island, which seems to be one of the free monthly games. But it tells me I have to add a credit card in order to download it, in the dashboard itself and on xbox.com :|

Didn't have problems downloading the other X1 GWG games earlier... Is a credit card really required for 360 games?

New Xbox One user here. I have Gold membership and want to download the 360 game Monkey Island, which seems to be one of the free monthly games. But it tells me I have to add a credit card in order to download it, in the dashboard itself and on xbox.com :|

Didn't have problems downloading the other X1 GWG games earlier... Is a credit card really required for 360 games?

As I found out, it is required. No way around it. Even if you have the xbox currency in your account to cover buying something, you still have to use a credit card with 360 games. Really annoying.

Osla

Neo Member
As I found out, it is required. No way around it. Even if you have the xbox currency in your account to cover buying something, you still have to use a credit card with 360 games. Really annoying.

Thanks! That's pretty crazy.

I did download some BC games from my 360 days without a problem, but I guess they didn't need a new transaction. Oh well :/

Vert boil

If you still have a 360 you can buy the 360 GwG titles via the console without a payment method attached. For the web/Xbox One you need a CC or paypal attached.

-----
^^^^The Atari collections are finally live.

As a full-blown achievement whore (my GS is over 400K), I agree with everything Vert said except for one thing: I don't think the "game is a game" approach this gen has hurt the achievement system that much. The way I look at it, last gen was absolutely overloaded with easy shovelware kiddie games that all my fellow GS addicts played. Those have dried up to the point of nonexistence this gen, and the easy indie games have simply taken their place.

If anything there are a lot less easy GS games this gen, because plenty of indies have ridiculously difficult achievements. Or just glitchy ones that won't unlock at all.

Montresor

As a full-blown achievement whore (my GS is over 400K), I agree with everything Vert said except for one thing: I don't think the "game is a game" approach this gen has hurt the achievement system that much. The way I look at it, last gen was absolutely overloaded with easy shovelware kiddie games that all my fellow GS addicts played. Those have dried up to the point of nonexistence this gen, and the easy indie games have simply taken their place.

If anything there are a lot less easy GS games this gen, because plenty of indies have ridiculously difficult achievements. Or just glitchy ones that won't unlock at all.

Well I also agreed with Vert.. but what are you saying here? Are you saying that Vert implied XBLA/indie games having 1000 gamerscore is bad thing? Because I don't think Vert said that at all.

I LOVE that every game is 1000 gamerscore.

Vert boil

Well I also agreed with Vert.. but what are you saying here? Are you saying that Vert implied XBLA/indie games having 1000 gamerscore is bad thing? Because I don't think Vert said that at all.

I LOVE that every game is 1000 gamerscore.

That is what I meant but I personally don't have an issue with it, it's pretty much the only part of a game is a game is a game change that I don't have an issue with
because I'm a filthy whore

He mentioned disquiet within the achievement community over the new "game is a game" approach, and that it has trivialized the system.

There have been a few complaints, but I think the vast majority are fine with it.

Flux

He mentioned disquiet within the achievement community over the new "game is a game" approach, and that it has trivialized the system.

There have been a few complaints, but I think the vast majority are fine with it.

I never cared for the raw score. I thought the aim was for %complete? I guess it helps with having a greater total gamerscore.

It hasn't really changed my purchasing habits. I still grab the indie/arcade games that interest me and when they were 200/400/1000 points it doesn't matter.

What I like most is the removal of the restriction that used to structure or limit the way achievements were planned per game. It's nice with Killer Instinct or Warframe were games can continually grow and you can show off that you are an ongoing fan.

Top Bottom