• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has no ads on the home screen (still has content promotion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tomato firmware?

I use Tomato yes but anything that supports DNSmasq would be fine

address=/rad.msn.com/192.168.0.254
address=/rpt.rad.msn.com/192.168.0.254
address=/msnvidweb.vo.msecnd.net/192.168.0.254
(the 192.168.0.254 is a dummy address, forward to any dummy address to block)

So you'd rather you weren't able to see content that's potentially relevant to you then?

Yes. I read GAF enough to get video game recommendations, and I don't want a video game console recommending me music and certainly not films. "Here's the latest shitty fucking blockbuster because you played a game of Call of Duty."

At the very least, you should be able to eliminate it. If you can't, they're advertising to you.

I think they mean no ads in the form of a Ford car promotion or a Burger King commercial.

Promotional content is somewhat different, as it is still "ads", but as long as its related to a service or content available on the console, and i dont have to click on it, i do not see the problem at all. (Atleast for me)

This is not nearly as bad or gross of a practice as having non-related ads like McDonalds on the dashboard.

Apart from the part where they're advertising.

I actually don't give a shit about advertising things on the store/marketplace/whatever. In fact i find it kind of useful. But to say there are no ads on that page is stupid and wrong.

I guess I just disagree. I would gladly have this than have it show me car ads, which is the biggest complaint with the 360.

Obviously the recommendations is going to be different for everyone. I assume that if you're someone who does nothing but play games, it will only show game advertisements on the side. Would you be okay with that, or is it still bad because they're showing you something?

Those aren't really ads. When I think of the ads people were upset about, I think of when they're advertising me a car or McDonald's wraps, not if they're advertising MGS5 or whatever.

I have no problem if they show me movies, music and games as that's something that's on the system, and could actually be relevant to me.
What if ads for snack wraps were relevant to you? Would that mean they're not ads? Recommendations that you purchase content you don't have is a form of direct marketing -- which is a form of advertisement.

That aside, the blades on 360 didn't have ads when the 360 launched either. There's nothing saying that this won't become completely clogged with ads.

To me, an advertisement is telling me about a product or service that someone wants me to spend money on. If I click on Star Trek, Rihanna, or Deadmou5, will I be able to watch the movie and listen to the music all for free? No? Sounds like an ad to me.

Carl

I guess I just disagree. I would gladly have this than have it show me car ads, which is the biggest complaint with the 360.

Obviously the recommendations is going to be different for everyone. I assume that if you're someone who does nothing but play games, it will only show game advertisements on the side. Would you be okay with that, or is it still bad because they're showing you something?

It's not bad at all. Like i said, i find it kind of useful when there are ads for things available on the store. I have no problem with it.

But to say "there are no ads on this page" isn't correct. There are clearly ads there :p

Robot Pants

I use Tomato yes but anything that supports DNSmasq would be fine

address=/rad.msn.com/192.168.0.254
address=/rpt.rad.msn.com/192.168.0.254
address=/msnvidweb.vo.msecnd.net/192.168.0.254
(the 192.168.0.254 is a dummy address, forward to any dummy address to block)
Will doing this make the dashboard load faster?

FyreWulff

He never said that it was a bad thing. Hell, even Nintendo's doing it. I'm surprised Sony didn't find a way to do it with its XMB 2.0 UI for the PS4. Maybe it'll give you recommendations if you scroll on over to the PS Store.

The nice thing about the Nintendo one is it only promotes games that people are playing. They could make it really awesome if they just blacklisted TVii and the other streaming services from it, because those are always going to be in the top rotation due to the fact that they're essentially video players. It'd be like MS letting Windows Media Player bubble to the top.

I see ads.

I think we can mostly agree that these ads are OK? TBH I wouldn't touch a system with an OS like that, unless the adds where removed with subscription which will never happen.

I don't think Sony will ever do this as they have too much class and Nintendo think it's completely against everything they strive for - which is fun, but make money.

I know this was touched on before, but those are content promotion tiles directly linking to content available on the xbox marketplace.

It's equivalent to the BBC being ad-free yet running promotional material for their own content.

Then again I've always seen the ad complaint to be a rather feeble reason to criticise Xbox Live - always unobtrusive and often informative.

Edit: Heck, you can argue that the content promotion ads are actually beneficial to the developers/publishers because they alert people to their content directly on the service. There IS a difference between advertising a movie/game available on demand and going on about a McDonald's burger.

Advertising is making the consumer aware of a product, I see 3 advertisements on that screen.

They're not for McDonalds or Pizza Hut, but they're still advertising something.

What if ads for snack wraps were relevant to you? Would that mean they're not ads? Recommendations that you purchase content you don't have is a form of direct marketing -- which is a form of advertisement.

That aside, the blades on 360 didn't have ads when the 360 launched either. There's nothing saying that this won't become completely clogged with ads.

No, that's not what I mean. What they're putting in those 3 tiles is something that is available on the Xbox ecosystem. Movies, music, games. You can't download a Snackwrap (yet...), but I can download a deadmau5 album on the Xbox.

Oh, and I agree it could change over time. After all, the 360 has had like 3 or 4 overhauls.

By your definition though, the 360 did launch with ads (that PGR3 image was the ad).

xbox360_guiderev_02.jpg

I think we can mostly agree that these ads are OK? TBH I wouldn't touch a system with an OS like that, unless the adds where removed with subscription which will never happen.

I don't think Sony will ever do this as they have too much class and Nintendo think it's completely against everything they strive for - which is fun, but make money.

Going by everyone's definition, the WiiU home screen is filled with ads though.

All of those are games that I may not necessarily own, therefore they are ads. But as I said, I am perfectly okay with that, as long as it's advertising me content on the system, and not snack wraps.

Flatline

Banned
And thus the thread becomes a debate about the distinction between ad ads (like McDonald's) and content promotion for non-game stuff and content promotion for game stuff and which of the categories qualifies as an ad.

Is this even a debate? They're all ads.

CLEEK

So you'd rather you weren't able to see content that's potentially relevant to you then?

Sure, if I go into, say, the store front. That's the place for them. Like on Wii U, 3DS, PS3, Vita, iPhone, iPad etc.

But not having ads (recommendations or whatever) bombard me when at the home screen / in game / using apps etc.

Spongebob

Banned
I know this was touched on before, but those are content promotion tiles directly linking to content available on the xbox marketplace.

It's equivalent to the BBC being ad-free yet running promotional material for their own content.

Then again I've always seen the ad complaint to be a rather feeble reason to criticise Xbox Live - always unobtrusive and often informative.

It really isn't.

MS aren't promoting their own content here and I doubt they're promoting other peoples content for free.

You do of course realise that without marketing, nothing you like would exist, right?

You what? I got Commander Keen, Wolfenstein and Doom from a BBS for free, with no marketing whatever and they defined a the home computer gaming generation and also the dominant genre off our current casual market.

No, that's not what I mean. What they're putting in those 3 tiles is something that is available on the Xbox ecosystem. Movies, music, games. You can't download a Snackwrap (yet...), but I can download a deadmau5 album on the Xbox.

Oh, and I agree it could change over time. After all, the 360 has had like 3 or 4 overhauls.

By your definition though, the 360 did launch with ads (that PGR3 image was the ad).

xbox360_guiderev_02.jpg

Advertising the game in the the tray?

Sure, if I go into, say, the store front. That's the place for them. Like on Wii U, 3DS, PS3, Vita.

But not having ads (recommendations or whatever) bombard me when at the home screen / in game / using apps etc.

'Bombard' you? They appear to the side of a stationary dashboard - what is the actual problem?

Again, I'd understand if it was for random companies but what is so horrific about seeing a link to store content on a barely used homescreen?

xbox360_guiderev_02.jpg

That's the game that's currently in the system.

Yes. I don't need companies telling me what want or like all the time. If it's on the store page, fine, but I don't need them on the home page.

It's the same if they were to put ads on my desktop when I turn on my PC.

itxaka

Defeatist
So I guess then ps3 also have ads in the xmb? And I don't think ps4 is free of it as well.

Oh god, I just remembered. Didn't they said at e3 that the console would know what we were gonna buy before we did? Fuuuuuu

Protome

What if it recommends things you're actually interested in, based on how you use the console?

Then that's great, they should put those recommendations in the store so I can look at them when I'm looking to buy something.
Putting it on the dashboard however is trying to sell me something when I'm not looking to buy something, and I don't want that.

Sullichin

'Bombard' you? They appear to the side of a stationary dashboard - what is the actual problem?

Again, I'd understand if it was for random companies but what is so horrific about seeing a link to store content on a barely used homescreen?

I'm not horrified by it, but microsoft saying there are no ads on the home screen is simply a lie. All ads are targeted now. Just because it says "recommended" doesn't mean it's not an ad. I honestly don't see how it's better than a car advertisement being there. It's the same exact thing to me.

xbhaskarx

Isn't this how Google ads work iirc? They're still ads.

What if, hypothetically, they're not even paid? What if it recommends a sportX game that is currently airing on the ESPN app because I watch sportX? What if it recommends newly released DLC for a game that I own and play? What if it knows I watched Arrested Development so when the new season is out, there's a convenient link on the main page that takes me straight to it on Netflix?
I'm not saying that's the case, because I don't know, but what if it was?

He never said that it was a bad thing. Hell, even Nintendo's doing it. I'm surprised Sony didn't find a way to do it with its XMB 2.0 UI for the PS4. Maybe it'll give you recommendations if you scroll on over to the PS Store.
Well alot of people see this as a negative thing. I have no problem with it as right there you can still press A and start playing your game.

EvB

I'm not horrified by it, but microsoft saying there are no ads on the home screen is simply a lie. All ads are targeted now. Just because it says "recommended" doesn't mean it's not an ad. I honestly don't see how it's better than a car advertisement being there. It's the same exact thing to me.

What if I recommend you something based upon the posts of yours I've read and my guess at your taste in products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom