• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Headset Recommendation

Ecto311

Astro a40tr without mix amp or hyperx cloud 2? Both same price

The A10 are new so there isn't much info out there but a lot of places were saying their drivers in them are the same as the A40. I have both clouds and A10 and the clouds sound a lot better. The mic on the A10 is better (might be the best outside of a mod mic or vmoda) but the A10 is muddy in the mid range. Can't speak to the A40 directly but I would either try them or go clouds. Plus the CloudX have a case and extra felt pads. I don't see a difference in the pads vs the leather ones but some think they are more comfortable with the felt.

Alright, as someone who has tried most of the recommended methods over the years (I have a giant head and keep searching for the perfect fit), I'm gonna throw in my two cents (mostly so I can link back to this later when new threads pop up):

HyperX Cloud Silver - Not bad at all. Got these for $50 on Prime Day and I'm pretty happy with them so far. The "silver" variant has in-line volume and mute controls, and is pretty much the version branded for Xbox One minus the control dongle. They sound good, the mic quality doesn't seem bad. The faux leather earpads get pretty warm, though, so I had to get some Brainwavz velour pads to balance that out.

ATH-AD700 + ModMic - the second-most comfortable headphones I've ever owned (and maybe the best sounding) + the highest quality mic, but kind of a sloppy solution overall. Not wild about having to ziptie the ModMic cord to the headphone cord, and the adhesive that sticks the mic to the headphones falls off constantly. They sound great though!

Astro A40s + Wireless MixAmp - ah, my first headset. The wireless MixAmp sorta isn't a thing anymore, now that they're built into the A50s. Mostly just writing to say that these are pretty uncomfortable if you have a big head and kinda overrated, especially given the price. I only really still hold onto these because I got the Saints Row 3 Decker set and they look cool as hell.

Sony Gold - cheap, shoddy build quality (and the VSS is nothing to write home about), but also the easiest way to have wireless PS3 audio, so that's why I keep 'em.

SteelSeries Arctis 5 - a surprisingly modest looking headset (even with the RGB lighting) that feel pretty cozy. Sound feels a bit light. Not really a basshead or anything, but there was something about these I couldn't place. They also have proprietary connectors for the cords that could be an issue down the line. Had I known about the Cloud headset I would've passed on these for sure.

Philips Fidelio X1 + V-Moda BoomPro - probably the best pricy option. Feel great, sound great, and the BoomPro is a pretty fantastic mic. I wish more headphones had swappable cords to use with this thing.

I know OP already went with the HyperX, but for a sub-$100 option I think that's definitely the way to go. I personally got mine so I could have a dedicated headset that I wouldn't feel bad falling off my desk or something, and I'm really happy with them so far.

Beyond that, I'd say the Fidelio + BoomPro is your best bet.

m23

Another for Hyper X, I have the Cloud II. The packaging is great and the 2 year warranty is something I appreciate.

JoeLT

Coming soon from LucidSound. I'm going to pick up a pair when they release.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JSYH33/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.lucidsound.com/headsets/ls35x.html
Yep, waiting on these. They actually look nice unlike basically all gaming headphones.
7.1? ...I assume for that price?
They're stereo. They're wireless using Microsofts Xbox Wireless standard, that's probably where the price is in licensing or something. They will work wirelessly with the Xbox One the same way the controllers do, no base station. So you jsut hold the sync button and it pairs, it has volume buttons, etc that interface directly with the Xbox One's audio settings in the guide. It also has dual microphones for noise cancellation and the boom mic is removable and it switches to the second mic.

It's all pretty snazzy, will also work with the Xbox adapater on Windows or any PC with Xbox Wireless built in (Surface Studio). I just wish they were like Microsofts new controllers and had Bluetooth as well, only thing that has me on the fence before they come out.

A little over $200, got mine on sale and with a discount for about $210, but I have the turtle beach elite x800 and I love it. No wires at all, sounds great, and extremely comfortable.

Warablo

I had 2 Hyper X CloudX's. They were good but the audio cable kept breaking. I have the Hyper X Stingers now.

Zeus7

Today I purchased the Turtle Beach XO One as it was on special with an Elite controller. Can anyone tell me what the best Audio output setting is on the Xbox settings? I have stereo uncompressed, Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos?

Bloodsent

On this same line of recommendations, I am looking for one.

I have been using Playstation Golds for a while now on my Playstation 4, and use them once in a while on my Xbox One. I have been satisfied with the audio quality and haven't had complaints about the mic quality. Like all Gold they are starting to fall apart, and I am looking for something new.

I would like something that is a bit more universal and meets my major requirement, easily and quickly being able to mute the mic regardless of system. Going into dashboard settings isn't going to work. I would like something with acceptable sound and mic quality that isn't going to get me yelled at by my party if possible.

My sitting position from my consoles is about 10ft, so I would assume i am limited to wireless or through the controller in both instances? Am I stuck with something with inline volume and mute controls like the CloudXs?

Today I purchased the Turtle Beach XO One as it was on special with an Elite controller. Can anyone tell me what the best Audio output setting is on the Xbox settings? I have stereo uncompressed, Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos?

If the turtles are stereo only, you should be able to use Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos to get virtual surround sound. The Dolby is a free trial, you have to buy it if you wanna keep it.

For headsets with built-in surround, you wanna set your Xbox for "Stereo Uncompressed"

Zeus7

If the turtles are stereo only, you should be able to use Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos to get virtual surround sound. The Dolby is a free trial, you have to buy it if you wanna keep it.

For headsets with built-in surround, you wanna set your Xbox for "Stereo Uncompressed"

Thank you, i have it set to Windows Sonic and it sounds great.

Top Bottom