• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One June Preview Update - My Real Name is External Storage

I hope this fixes the auto log in problem where you don't really log in for games.
I've not had that issue since this batch of updates started rolling out, but before these updates I had an issue where a game would sometimes ask me to log in even though I already was. It's weird how an update that fixes something for one person breaks it for another, given the fixed hardware.

EDIT - The update is available for me here in the UK. It's 256MB. Installing now.....

My personal recommendation would be to purchase a 4TB WD , they are around 169.99 Canadian.

I don't see the point of a 1 or 2 TB as those will fill up quickly once bigger games arrive. spend the $$ now and get more bang for your buck.

As for sambaing, they usually manufacture SSD hard drives which get amazing reviews, i don't know which HDD they purchased and added in there. where as it WD you know its one of theres

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=0667b0ab2c9055f1334041e630981701en02

10266433.jpg
arent these 5400rpm or does it not matter?

Lima

arent these 5400rpm or does it not matter?

Doesn't matter much. I wouldn't go 4 TB though unless you really need it. Due to the increased density they are always slower than say a 2 or 3 TB drive.

Best speed and price ratio is a 3.5" Seagate SSHD and put it in a good external casing yourself.

Doesn't matter much. I wouldn't go 4 TB though unless you really need it. Due to the increased density they are always slower than say a 2 or 3 TB drive.

Best speed and price ratio is a 3.5" Seagate SSHD and put it in a good external casing yourself.
Cool. So say I get the 2tb version of this wd mybook model I should be fine getting great results?

furious

Banned
I tried an external HDD and the load time for the same level was 26 seconds. So the SSHD has knocked of a few more.
  • Internal HDD: 28 seconds
  • External HDD: 26 seconds
  • External SSHD: 26 seconds (first try)
  • External SSHD: 24 seconds (second try)
  • External SSHD: 21 seconds (third try)

21 seconds seems to be the lowest so far, fourth go went to 22 seconds and the fifth also 22 seconds.

Nice. Thanks for this.

I'm surprised to see the cache warm up so quickly. I'd have imagined a lot more usage before getting noticeable cache hits.

What do you see when you plug the Xbox One formatted drive into a PC?

Haven't checked yet but I'm on OSX so it might not show anything. Before I formatted the SSHD on the Xbox I did plug into the laptop and give it a speed test which resulted in 180MB/s for read and write.

I'll check it out in abit what it formats to if it shows up. I'll also speed test the HDD because I'm pretty sure that was only 150MB/s but I'll double check.

Edit: Oh also the SSHD had nothing on it apart from MGS:GZ so it had like 3.7TB of space.

I've managed to get Xbox One external drives to appear in Windows. It's a small modification (2 bytes) to the MBR.

https://github.com/gitFurious/xboxoneexternal

For reference, the drive contents are mostly encrypted volume files (Xbox equivalent of VHD). I'm not sure if these are tied to the Gamertag, or if they can be shared between consoles (tied to any licences found there etc.)

Picked up a Western Digital Passport 2TB USB powered external. Didn't want any extra power cables so didn't want to deal with a 3.5" self powered drive. Seems to run pretty well, ran some quick tests and it performs ~2-5 seconds better on long load games (Dead Rising 3, Need for Speed) than on the internal drive.

Connxtion

I bought a Seagate 2TB (1.8TB real world) Backup Pro Slim.

Works great, silent, small & USB powered.

Not sure about speeds in loading, but going from 91% used to only 15% used feels good lol

Update:
Forza 5
Prague takes 24/25 seconds to load from external.

p3tran

Banned

is that what you are using Lima?

I bought the WD that is discussed above (in 2tb trim) and found it to be pretty fast, faster than some 7200rpm numbers I have seen.

but when we played Ryse yesterday, you loaded a good 15 -maybe even 20- seconds faster than me. and usually I am the one that gets the message "waiting for the other player" :D

the plan is to use the WD casing anyway for future HDD upgrades, but a constant 15secs difference across the grid might be worth insta-upgrade.
so,
is this the drive you are using? -> Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB (ST2000DX001)
and what more games you have installed so we can test? :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any news on when this June update is rolling out to us peasants? Or is there a way to get to try it easily? I need my OneGuide in UK.

Connxtion

wow, I just turned on my XB1 and there's an 1,6gb update, any new features or just fixes?
It's only 250mbs

What's in this update:

Some audio receivers don’t turn on with “Xbox On." This build contains a fix for the issue with certain audio receivers failing to respond to “Xbox On”. Please let us know via the User Feedback app or forums if you’re still experiencing this.
Controller binding with instant sign-in not functioning. This build contains a fix for issues related to headsets not functioning when using instant sign-in. Please file a bug using the User Feedback app if you’re still experiencing this issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I'm going mad. At least twice now, the Xbox has gone straight into full screen TV, apparently without me doing anything. First time was when my wife accidentally bumped the power button on the console, and the second was just after it recognised my daughter so it was doing something with profiles and it jumped from the dash into TV. (Both times TV was the last app used). Can't seem to replicate it though.

Wonder if they're playing with the 'boot to TV' already? That's my most wants feature.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I hope this fixes the auto log in problem where you don't really log in for games.

My auto login hasn't worked since 140523. I'm now on 140529 and it's working but Xbox Live us down.

I'm thinking it's screwed due to setting up Games with Gold for Xbox one.

I haven't been able to get the updates silently since wave 1404. Got it back with 1406. It's good to see Microsoft get stuff fixed. I'm glad they do betas.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So I did some more tests with my Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 7200 RPM on my Xbox One today and here are the results:

Dead Rising 3

Loading to start screen
Internal: 53.8 seconds
External: 42.2 seconds

Loading my savegame
Internal: 51.9 seconds
External: 34.8 seconds

Foza Motorsport 5

Loading to Press A screen
Internal: 30.1 seconds
External: 28.4 seconds

Loading main menu
Internal: 21.0 seconds
External: 13.3 seconds

Loading race Prague Full with 16 AI cars
Internal: 52.2 seconds
External: 38.5 seconds

Thief

Loading to start screen
Internal: 46.6 seconds
External 44.1 seconds

Loading savegame
Internal: 33.1 seconds
External: 27.1 seconds

So I guess you can say an external drive saves at least a few seconds in any regard, but it seems to benefit the most from loading savegames or just loading stuff to play in general. Some real time saving in Forza and Dead Rising with the external drive. Did notice I can't move my FIFA 14 to an external drive and read somewhere you can't move Skylanders either so I guess there are some restrictions in place for some games.
Sounds interesting, I'm thinking about getting the 2TB version of this hard drive, what's the sound level on this drive like?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've yet to see any updates since the April one, or whatever the last was, and I've been getting the update program emails.

Weird.

mike4001_

I've yet to see any updates since the April one, or whatever the last was, and I've been getting the update program emails.

Weird.

Sure you were not silently updated ? - Check your version under settings => system => console info

Actually it is not possible that you did not get the update - as soon as you connect to live you should be prompted to update the the latest version or turn off the console ...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sure you were not silently updated ? - Check your version under settings => system => console info

Actually it is not possible that you did not get the update - as soon as you connect to live you should be prompted to update the the latest version or turn off the console ...

Hmm, I'll check. I kept checking the system update button in the settings and it's always greyed out. Let me check on it.

ja30278

I recall hearing at some point that a 'boot to TV' option was slated to be included in a future update. Anybody know the status of this? Is it part of the June preview?

Special C

A couple of questions.

Can I move everything to my external drive in one fell swoop?

Do gamedvr clips automatically go to the internal. Is there any reason to have them external?

mike4001_

I recall hearing at some point that a 'boot to TV' option was slated to be included in a future update. Anybody know the status of this? Is it part of the June preview?

No, its not part of the preview.

If it´s on MS list => noone but they know :)

A couple of questions.

Do gamedvr clips automatically go to the internal. Is there any reason to have them external?

You can add everything manually to the queue but there is no option just to highlight all and then press "move"

Clips: They are automatically on the internal, but I do not know if they even count towards the used space or are stored in one of the invisible system partitions the xbox one HDD has.

Lima

Clips: They are automatically on the internal, but I do not know if they even count towards the used space or are stored in one of the invisible system partitions the xbox one HDD has.

Like the save games they are stored in one of the portions that are not user accessible.

Bsigg12

A couple of questions.

I'm pretty sure clips and game saves are stored in an inaccessible partition on the internal.

mike4001_

Hmm, I'll check. I kept checking the system update button in the settings and it's always greyed out. Let me check on it.

If you see a greyed out update button you have the May Update :D

In the April OS Version the button was not visible at all if there was no update (they changed that in May)

Hawk269

As there are still a couple of issues open => Certainly not this week.

My guess would be next week (week of E3)

I would guess it will drop in Monday 6/9 or the weekend before it. The $399.99 Xbox One goes on sale on 6/9, so I am sure they want the gold changes and auto-sign in available for those jumping in on Monday.

I got the Seagate 5tb External for my gaming room system and a 4tb Seagate for the living room system. Same speeds on both and loving it. Feels good on my 5tb to have 14 retails games with DLC etc. and only be at 4.5% used. Seems weird going from 90% used to 4.5%. And to think, we can add a second one! lol.

Weird.

You're almost certainly getting these updates overnight without you knowing. Most of the time I don't even know they've happened, but they have.

Any news on when this June update is rolling out to us peasants? Or is there a way to get to try it easily? I need my OneGuide in UK.

Probably by June 9th.

Head.spawn

Weird.

Your Xbone can self update whenever and power itself back off now.

The only reason I saw the last update was because it went live while I was watching tv and I did it manually.

klodeckel

Banned
Another update available for preview beginning 6/1!

We know we released a system update to preview yesterday, but we have another new update available today with some fixes for our previously known issues, and we wanted to make sure you all had it in hand as soon as possible! This update will be available today, 6/1/2014, after 2:00pm PDT.

HOW TO GET IT

If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 6/3/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140530-2200
Available: 6/1 2PM PDT (6/1 10PM GMT)

What's in this update:

- External Storage fixes: Most notably, the issue where if you launched a title installed to your External Storage device while not signed in, the title would become unplayable and require reinstallation/redownload. This issue has now been resolved, as you will be prompted to sign in.
- A fix for an issue some users noticed where their Favorites list was empty in OneGuide.

What to try

Yesterday, we posted asking participants with multiple consoles in the 1406 preview or friends in the preview to try roaming with your external storage drive. For more details: Have a buddy previewing updates? Try your external drive on their console!
The Kinect team needs you! You can help make Kinect better by answering a few questions and re-running Kinect setup. Check out: Help improve Kinect by answering a few questions!

KNOWN ISSUES

None at this time. If you run into an issue, please post on the forums to bring it to the team's attention!

Thank you for participating in the update previews. You are all making a huge impact on the June update, and all of us here at Xbox greatly appreciates your feedback!
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_a...view_forums/wave_4_1406/f/4861/t/1765830.aspx

No more known issues at this time. I expect this update to be ready for everyone within the next 2 weeeks (maybe only 1) then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're almost certainly getting these updates overnight without you knowing. Most of the time I don't even know they've happened, but they have.

Probably by June 9th.

Nothing forcing them to make this version live as-is though. The May preview went public but without the Oneguide for Europe, so they could still release some elements for June and hold others back if necessary

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How many updates for the June update have you guys had. Got the most recent one today. Nice that they are quick to implement fixes, etc.

link1201

"We have another new update available today with some fixes for some minor issues that we discovered in the lat update! This update will be available today, 6/2/2014, after 6:00pm PDT. We are getting closer to having this ready for the general public, so please use your console often and let us know if you encounter any issues!

HOW TO GET IT
◾If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
◾NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.

◾If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 2:00AM PDT 6/4/2014, you will be prompted to do so the next time you start your console.

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1406.140601-2110
Available: 6/2 6PM PDT (6/4 2AM GMT)

What's in this update:
◾Minor issue and localization fixes.

What to try
◾Still important: We recently posted asking participants with multiple consoles in the 1406 preview or friends in the preview to try roaming with your external storage drive. For more details: Have a buddy previewing updates? Try your external drive on their console!
◾The Kinect team needs you! You can help make Kinect better by answering a few questions and re-running Kinect setup. Check out: Help improve Kinect by answering a few questions!

KNOWN ISSUES
◾None at this time. If you run into an issue, please post on the forums to bring it to the team's attention so we can try to address it quickly!

Thank you for participating in the update previews, and providing your valuable feedback! "

I hope we get the final public release soon. I want to get the Games With Gold thing started already.

Top Bottom