• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One June Preview Update - My Real Name is External Storage

As a PS4 owner, I am very jealous you guys are getting major updates on a monthly basis. Easily makes the console look more and more appealing as time goes on.

I don't know. As an owner of Xbox one since launch its great to see these updates but if you think about it most of the feature updates are either fixing broken stuff like chat or bringing stuff that ps4 owners already have (in this case real names and upgradeable storage).

I applaud the efforts Microsoft is making though and hope they keep it up.

EvB

I don't know. As an owner of Xbox one since launch its great to see these updates but if you think about it most of the feature updates are either fixing broken stuff like chat or bringing stuff that ps4 owners already have (in this case real names and upgradeable storage).

I've got both machines and my feelings are that the core stuff was there day one. What Microsoft has done so far is to push hard to put in the little things that make the experience better than it was.

I think MS is there now in terms of what they initially showed.

Sony needs to get moving and start sorting out those little things too.

I love getting update for both machines and seeing the way it's incrementally getting more unusable and more intuitive.

I've got both machines and my feelings are that the core stuff was there day one. What Microsoft has done so far is to push hard to put in the little things that make the experience better than it was.

I think MS is there now in terms of what they initially showed.

Sony needs to get moving and start sorting out those little things too.

I love getting update for both machines and seeing the way it's incrementally getting more unusable and more intuitive.

I own both as well and I agree with you. Both had most of the essentials and both had a few features that the other didn't. I'd argue that Sony had more boxes ticked off on the checklist initially but I think now both are neck in neck on paper, if not in how well they are implemented.

Prine

Banned

This isn't true, there's a bunch of neat features they're adding that sets then apart like YouTube uploads, Skype snap chat, notifications, friends being grouped into favourites, minor indications of apps being updated, more than that is MS agility to swiftly make changes, their deployment pipeline is fucking impressive, these updates will continue to slapped on, the console is constantly improving every month.

I noticed that sometimes my text goes all gobbledygook and also I moved my titanfall content to my external hard drive but my season pass just says paused on it. Anyone else noticed this?

Is it worth compiling a list of NeoGAF's most wanted Xbone features to post over on the preview forums that we can continuously bump so we can ensure it's seen by the relevant people?

Might be worth thinking about?

MauroNL

So I did some more tests with my Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 7200 RPM on my Xbox One today and here are the results:

Dead Rising 3

Loading to start screen
Internal: 53.8 seconds
External: 42.2 seconds

Loading my savegame
Internal: 51.9 seconds
External: 34.8 seconds

Foza Motorsport 5

Loading to Press A screen
Internal: 30.1 seconds
External: 28.4 seconds

Loading main menu
Internal: 21.0 seconds
External: 13.3 seconds

Loading race Prague Full with 16 AI cars
Internal: 52.2 seconds
External: 38.5 seconds

Thief

Loading to start screen
Internal: 46.6 seconds
External 44.1 seconds

Loading savegame
Internal: 33.1 seconds
External: 27.1 seconds

So I guess you can say an external drive saves at least a few seconds in any regard, but it seems to benefit the most from loading savegames or just loading stuff to play in general. Some real time saving in Forza and Dead Rising with the external drive. Did notice I can't move my FIFA 14 to an external drive and read somewhere you can't move Skylanders either so I guess there are some restrictions in place for some games.

MauroNL

I'm at work, so can't check but I uninstalled Skylanders, re-installed it and am now 99% sure its on my external.
Hmm could try that, don't have Skylanders though but read it somewhere around here yesterday. I'm worried if I uninstall a game in general I might lose my savegame, so I just opt for the Move all to External Drive in Game Management.

Ade

Hmm could try that, don't have Skylanders though but read it somewhere around here yesterday. I'm worried if I uninstall a game in general I might lose my savegame, so I just opt for the Move all to External Drive in Game Management.

Games are cloud sync'd, I've never lost mine.

If any game *might* be funny its likely to be Skylanders, theres no digital version for example.

Those improved load timings are making me seriously consider getting an external drive XD

Damn, and I though I would be able to manage 500GB for the entire gen

So I did some more tests with my Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 7200 RPM on my Xbox One today and here are the results:

Dead Rising 3

Loading to start screen
Internal: 53.8 seconds
External: 42.2 seconds

Loading my savegame
Internal: 51.9 seconds
External: 34.8 seconds

Foza Motorsport 5

Loading to Press A screen
Internal: 30.1 seconds
External: 28.4 seconds

Loading main menu
Internal: 21.0 seconds
External: 13.3 seconds

Loading race Prague Full with 16 AI cars
Internal: 52.2 seconds
External: 38.5 seconds

Thief

Loading to start screen
Internal: 46.6 seconds
External 44.1 seconds

Loading savegame
Internal: 33.1 seconds
External: 27.1 seconds

So I guess you can say an external drive saves at least a few seconds in any regard, but it seems to benefit the most from loading savegames or just loading stuff to play in general. Some real time saving in Forza and Dead Rising with the external drive. Did notice I can't move my FIFA 14 to an external drive and read somewhere you can't move Skylanders either so I guess there are some restrictions in place for some games.
welp, guess im buying the external hdd then, i have Dead Rising and those comparisons are crazy

gossi

I got a 7200 RPM USB 3 Seagate drive off amazon for £60. 2tb too. I think it's a worth while investment as I managed to fill my 500gb internal drive within 6 months when there's barely any decent games out yet.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
I cannot play blue-rays anymore with my Xbone. Regulars DVDs and games work but it will not recognize a blue-ray. Before the last update, I could not run anything from the drive but now everything works except blue-rays. Any idea?

Pathos

Banned
I cannot play blue-rays anymore with my Xbone. Regulars DVDs and games work but it will not recognize a blue-ray. Before the last update, I could not run anything from the drive but now everything works except blue-rays. Any idea?
Reinstall the blu-ray player app?

This isn't true, there's a bunch of neat features they're adding that sets then apart like YouTube uploads, Skype snap chat, notifications, friends being grouped into favourites, minor indications of apps being updated, more than that is MS agility to swiftly make changes, their deployment pipeline is fucking impressive, these updates will continue to slapped on, the console is constantly improving every month.

I already acknowledged that each has features the other does not. I'm tapping this out on a tablet or id go into Sonys strengths and features that are unique.

I actively disliked most of the Xbox ones UI at launch but as you said the speed and substance of the updates impresses me.

Ape

Banned
Sometimes when I get into a party chat even though I have my headset in it goes directly to my Kinect. I have to turn my controller off and on again to fix that, really dumb.

Syrus

Banned
Can anyone do and watch dogs and wolfenstein? Maybe tomb raider too lol. I bought the 3 Tb Seagate expansion 7200. So stoked

EvB

I have the same issue. It is lame.

I sometimes have that, usually I open up the Kinect settings and you can see that the Xbox doesn't think I'm using a pad.

Either way around the pad infront of the kinect screaming at it, or choose your gamerpic in the top left of the screen and choose the option that says "choose this person" this resyncs the pad with the player.

Has anyone tested an external 2.5" drive yet? I know you won't get the gains people are seeing from 7,200 RPM 3.5" ones, but I'm wondering what the performance is like.

If someone has one and can test it with a couple of games, it would be much appreciated.

I'm downloading Watch_Dogs right now, I was thinking it would be neat if you could get a notification through Smart glass when the download is done if you have your Xbox off, don't know if that would be possible though.

Hawk269

I have a Self Powered Seagate HDD hooked up to my Xbox One. I use the instant on so it downloads updates etc. when I am not using the console. However, the HDD is always running and never goes into sleep mode. Is it suppose to do that? I figured it should since if there is an update it needs to have the HDD to save too, but just wanted check with fellow testers if it is the same for them.

Orca

Games are cloud sync'd, I've never lost mine.

If any game *might* be funny its likely to be Skylanders, theres no digital version for example.

I asked Dan Amrich about it and he said there's no digital version - and no plans for one - since it requires the portal. I wish they'd do something for the people that want a digital copy.

Sometimes when I get into a party chat even though I have my headset in it goes directly to my Kinect. I have to turn my controller off and on again to fix that, really dumb.

Report the issue in the beta forums - had seen this issue but it was supposedly fixed.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My 4TB SSHD arrived along with a USB 3.0 UASP caddy.

Connected up now to do some tests.

Edit: Ok played through MGS:GZ a few times for the caching to kick in and already the times have gone from 26 seconds on main menu to load the main mission to 21 seconds.

My 4TB SSHD arrived along with a USB 3.0 UASP caddy.

Connected up now to do some tests.

Edit: Ok played through MGS:GZ a few times for the caching to kick in and already the times have gone from 26 seconds on main menu to load the main mission to 21 seconds.

sounds like pretty much all 3.5inch drives show the same improvements, its only 2.5" drives usb only powered drives that hasnt been tested much yet right?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Why would anyone promote the idea of an SSHD for consoles? Especially an external drives for only games.

If you play certain games alot I'd imagine certain areas would be loaded quicker. I play loads of FIFA and Forza so it comes in handy.

CanaryRob

Any UK people with Sky had a chance to try out the OneGuide yet? Would love to hear if you've gone back to the Sky remote or kept on using the OneGuide. The brief bits of video I've seen I can't see it being anywhere near as good as what Sky already offers.

(Would also love an invite, gamertag same as username).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Any UK people with Sky had a chance to try out the OneGuide yet? Would love to hear if you've gone back to the Sky remote or kept on using the OneGuide. The brief bits of video I've seen I can't see it being anywhere near as good as what Sky already offers.

(Would also love an invite, gamertag same as username).

I set it up last week and it works ok but its quicker to use the remote.

furious

Banned
Quicker loading times for games? As the data is regularly accessed, it should get cached on the SSD section of the drive for quicker access...

If you play certain games alot I'd imagine certain areas would be loaded quicker. I play loads of FIFA and Forza so it comes in handy.

It's surprisingly hard to find details, but I'm seeing a number of hybrid-drives have an 8GB cache. Assuming the drive has support for self-management, you're looking at a very finite number of files to key as cacheable.

I'm happy to listen to reason. Are there any tests out there that people have tried? Loading a specific level over and over, measuring the decrease in load time would be a good test (I guess).

I can't imagine anything other than then smaller sized assets actually being hit from cache.

Why not? It's only a couple bucks more than a standard drive and it's even faster.

Stores near me appear in this order: 1TBHDD < 2TBHDD < 1TBSSHD

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
It's surprisingly hard to find details, but I'm seeing a number of hybrid-drives have an 8GB cache. Assuming the drive has support for self-management, you're looking at a very finite number of files to key as cacheable.

I'm happy to listen to reason. Are there any tests out there that people have tried? Loading a specific level over and over, measuring the decrease in load time would be a good test (I guess).

I can't imagine anything other than then smaller sized assets actually being hit from cache.

Stores near me appear in this order: 1TBHDD < 2TBHDD < 1TBSSHD

Well so far after loading the Ground Zeroes mission on Metal Gear 3 times over it's dropped the loading from 28 seconds to 21 seconds.

Have yet to try Forza.

furious

Banned
Well so far after loading the Ground Zeroes mission on Metal Gear 3 times over it's dropped the loading from 28 seconds to 21 seconds.

Have yet to try Forza.

I don't know your setup, but I assume it's an external SSHD on the Xbox One.

This improvement might have also happened if the drive wasn't an SSHD. I'm not saying external won't show improvements, I just want to see if an SSHD has a measurable difference over a traditional HDD.

Top Bottom