• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

malfcn

Because achievements son.

Whaaaat?? That sounds insane lol. Why would it do that?

image.php

After having an appalling first night with updates and installs I am really enjoying the One now. Pleasantly surprised with both KI and Ryse, probably because I expected both to be poor. Forza and FIFA are really doing it for me though.

Miles X

Think I read some devs can disable auto recording cheevos for spoiler reasons, might be why COD and Battlefield ones aren't showing up?

OmahaG8

Thanks guys to who chimed in on my earlier question.

New request. I've played a bit of dr3. Haven't noticed much "new" in the way if vibration.

I have dead rising 3 only (and xblg) - if I were to want a good test of the new triggers, I would [insert blank] ?

BlindRage

New request. I've played a bit of dr3. Haven't noticed much "new" in the way if vibration.

I have dead rising 3 only (and xblg) - if I were to want a good test of the new triggers, I would [insert blank] ?
NBA 2k has the rumble triggers for every time the ball bounces. I think it's pretty cool.

Also, anyone on gaf into FIFA?

Not sure what on the marketplace for free games etc would show it; but if you have the cash to throw at it Forza does a beautiful job with them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Manually. Because it turns on the cable box via the ir blaster, I think.

Not a big deal, since you're powering on the 360 with a controller.

The beautiful thing is the fact that you use voice to get to the 360. So, no juggling 2 gamepads. Its fuckin great, man.

Cool. I might end up doing that since I don't think my wife would want to use the TV like that as well. Plus Csnada doesn't have the one guide yet anyways.

So before, I did a 20-hit 'beastly' combo on Killer Instinct. I said "Xbox, record that!" and instantly I had the last 30 seconds of gameplay to mess around with. That was waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I needed, so I went into Upload, trimmed the video to just the combo while adding a nice little effect to take out the horrible backflip I had to leave in at the start, and uploaded it to my feed and Skydrive. Suddenly, I was like "Fuck, I've probably closed Killer Instinct." NOPE! With a few presses of the B button, I was back to it. I was really, really impressed.

So on that note, now that the console is actually out and that it doesn't give us AIDS (although I'm sure some people are still hurrumphing about resolution, jaggies, and load times), what do people make about the whole CBOAT thing. The ass storm never really seemed to roll in, so and given that we saw in his PM that he wanted to discourage people from buying the machine, I wonder what his agenda and motive was.

Miles X

So before, I did a 20-hit 'beastly' combo on Killer Instinct. I said "Xbox, record that!" and instantly I had the last 30 seconds of gameplay to mess around with. That was waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I needed, so I went into Upload, trimmed the video to just the combo while adding a nice little effect to take out the horrible backflip I had to leave in at the start, and uploaded it to my feed and Skydrive. Suddenly, I was like "Fuck, I've probably closed Killer Instinct." NOPE! With a few presses of the B button, I was back to it. I was really, really impressed.

So on that note, now that the console is actually out and that it doesn't give us AIDS (although I'm sure some people are still hurrumphing about resolution, jaggies, and load times), what do people make about the whole CBOAT thing. The ass storm never really seemed to roll in, so and given that we saw in his PM that he wanted to discourage people from buying the machine, I wonder what his agenda and motive was.

Sony mole. No I'm not kidding. Asshat to boot.

Mononoke

Banned
So far I'm really loving this console. Honestly, I think the UI and the voice commands are fantastic. I don't know why reviewers were having trouble with them, but I rarely have to repeat myself. And the TV works great. I love that I can watch TV and then have my game and entertainment center all around it.

My only issue so far, is just the graphics. I'm not that impressed with Killer Instinct or Dead Rising 3. I hate the sharpening effects and the crushed blacks. Especially on a bigger TV like a 55 inch 1080p, you really notice how much worse it looks than PS4 games. I don't have Forza or Ryse, so I don't want to judge. But PS4's games were night and day (even Knack looked better than Dead Rising, despite its cartoony graphics). I'm also kind of suspect of how long it takes to install and load games. I was able to install 50gb games on PS4 under 4 min. Easily. Dead Rising 3 took me at least 20 min.

But on the flip side, I also think Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct are a lot more fun than anything I've played on PS4 (except Resogun). So IMO fun trumps graphics. I just hope Xbox One games start to pick up a bit more as it goes.

At least to me though, the overall benefit of this system outweighs these issues. I love everything about the Xbox One so far. Xbox Live is also superb (I missed having it). Also, scanning QT codes seems like a small thing, but it's a great feature.

RoKKeR

So I'm playing Ryse co-op with a friend and the notification "Game clip recorded" pops up often and quite randomly. Anybody know why this is?

Edit: And they aren't recording achievements because we haven't earned them in this session.

So I'm playing Ryse co-op with a friend and the notification "Game clip recorded" pops up often and quite randomly. Anybody know why this is?

Edit: And they aren't recording achievements because we haven't earned them in this session.

I think Ryse auto-records clips at certain points in the game.

Miles X

So far I'm really loving this console. Honestly, I think the UI and the voice commands are fantastic. I don't know why reviewers were having trouble with them, but I rarely have to repeat myself. And the TV works great. I love that I can watch TV and then have my game and entertainment center all around it.

My only issue so far, is just the graphics. I'm not that impressed with Killer Instinct or Dead Rising 3. I hate the sharpening effects and the crushed blacks. Especially on a bigger TV like a 55 inch 1080p, you really notice how much worse it looks than PS4 games. I don't have Forza or Ryse, so I don't want to judge. But PS4's games were night and day (even Knack looked better than Dead Rising, despite its cartoony graphics). I'm also kind of suspect of how long it takes to install and load games. I was able to install 50gb games on PS4 under 4 min. Easily. Dead Rising 3 took me at least 20 min.

But on the flip side, I also think Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct are a lot more fun than anything I've played on PS4 (except Resogun). So IMO fun trumps graphics. I just hope Xbox One games start to pick up a bit more as it goes.

At least to me though, the overall benefit of this system outweighs these issues. I love everything about the Xbox One so far. Xbox Live is also superb (I missed having it). Also, scanning QT codes seems like a small thing, but it's a great feature.

I think you hit the nail on the head, you're playing games that wouldn't be considered pretty on any system (save for when those KI particles kick in!). Ryse and Forza are much prettier as is a lot of the upcoming stuff.

Mononoke

Banned
I think you hit the nail on the head, you're playing games that wouldn't be considered pretty on any system (save for when those KI particles kick in!). Ryse and Forza are much prettier as is a lot of the upcoming stuff.

Yeah. I'm just a tad bit disappointed, given it's supposed to be next gen. I expect visuals to be better. Hell, even games on the Wii U can look great (it's not always about the power of the system, art design is important too).

But at the end of the day, I'm actually enjoying the Xbox One more so far. Not only are these two games a lot more fun than the PS4 titles I have, I think the UI and the overall package of the Xbox One feels very next gen.

Is there a way to view Download History on the system? I can't tell if my DLC downloaded.

Don't think there's a Download History, but if you want to check your DLC for a game, go to games and apps, hit the menu button on your game, and hit "Show all add-ons"

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Anyone is AUS having issues buying items for the store? keeps giving me 'invalid payment method please choose another' no matter what options i choose.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

What's this about?

Ryse looks better or at least as good as anything on either system, it's gorgeous. Depending on your disposable income I would recommend it just for the visuals alone although personally I'm having a lot of fun with it, I think some of the reviews were overly harsh.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Does saying " Xbox on" not work in Australia? I just tried it but nothing.

Set your console region to US and it works fine. Also allows TV control (on/off, mute and volume).

Gives access to US apps also, I haven't checked what works though.

MCD

Speaking of apps and games like Dead Riding 3, any IP lock or is it all open and region free to the max?

Took a while to bypass my initial tech problems (nothing to do with the console) and I've spent enough time with it now to say that Xbox One is glorious. So much great stuff here, wonderfully integrated. I've got my cable TV piped through it and it's working brilliantly. UI is so snappy and the voice stuff works (mostly) as advertised. Swapping from game to app to TV and back again is so slick, I love it. This really feels like the future. Congrats to all at MS who worked on this, amazing job.

malfcn

I uploaded something to Skydrive and it still hasn't come up. How long does that take?
Also, it would be nice to have a quick upload feature rather than have to manually go through all the steps.

The clip I uploaded to Skydrive is missing from my Xbox now completely too. Huh.

Took a while to bypass my initial tech problems (nothing to do with the console) and I've spent enough time with it now to say that Xbox One is glorious. So much great stuff here, wonderfully integrated. I've got my cable TV piped through it and it's working brilliantly. UI is so snappy and the voice stuff works (mostly) as advertised. Swapping from game to app to TV and back again is so slick, I love it. This really feels like the future. Congrats to all at MS who worked on this, amazing job.

Glad you got it working. Did you get Forza? I dunno if it's just pulling names from my list or everyone drives like a maniac.

Mononoke

Banned
What's this about?

Ryse looks better or at least as good as anything on either system, it's gorgeous. Depending on your disposable income I would recommend it just for the visuals alone although personally I'm having a lot of fun with it, I think some of the reviews were overly harsh.

Yeah I'm going to go get Forza and Ryse tomorrow. I'm excited.

"Xbox unsnap" works 99% of the time, but if it's already listening, "unsnap" doesn't seem to work at all. Ever.

I found that "Go Home", and "Unsnap" need to have "Xbox" said before them, not sure why, but it's weird. :/

Also, seems like you need to be in front of Kinect for "Xbox, On" to work? Only way it turns on if I'm in front of Kinect.

I just beat crimson dragon, I enjoyed it other then the dookie camera it was a fun game to play, just have a couple achievements then i'll get 1000

(gotta support the cause for phantom dust 2)

Top Bottom