• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One October Preview detailed

Timu

While I don't need the screenshot function since I have my own capture card, I'm surprised that function hasn't been added yet. Hope Microsoft gets that feature in soon.

Seriously it's almost comedic now.

A lot of these updates, to be honest, I think are more important than the ability to take screenshots, but the screenshot feature is definitely important and something they will certainly add in due time.

The features they've been adding regularly are pretty solid to huge improvements to the way the system works and is operated. They really have been making some serious strides in how they've been improving the console. And wow at how great the new snap features are. It's like an entirely different feeling system almost.

Microsoft are seriously doing the damn thing on these updates. And, get this, my 2 Verizon FIOS Quantum TV media server boxes are found and considered as DLNA servers to the xbox one media player app, and when I go into them, it shows folders of all the television channels. Can't actually do anything with them though cause they don't work that way. Still thought it was pretty interesting nonetheless.

Just used Snap Center. It's beautiful.

Its-so-beautiful.gif

If double-tap home + X is the new record, I'd guess it would be double-tap + Y or something similar. I think the reason it's taking so long is they're working on a way to take full-res screenshots without compression. After all, pretty screenshots are free marketing.

That would take the least amount of time.

malfcn

I would like the Comparables to show up on your own profile.

Like how many times launched, minutes played etc.

Xbox One media player app finds PC DLNA servers, Verizon Fios media servers boxes, and apparently now Plex Servers on your network... Oh my, oh my. :eek:

Could you imagine if Microsoft saved all of these updates for one big update in November.

They're spreading the love regularly. A big update is probably harder to control bug wise? So this way they're doing it in smaller chunks, I much prefer it to one big one, something to look forward to every month.

Also it means they get good press more regularly, which I what I think they're aiming for

cookienut

Banned
Tried a couple of videos via USB stick.
MKV V:H264 - A:AC3 5.1 - Supported
MP4 V:H264 - A:AAC 2.0 - Supported
MKV V:H264 - A:DTS 5.1 - Not Supported

Well that sucks big time. Looks as though the HTPC will still be the main entertainment box.

JaggedSac

Xbox One media player app finds PC DLNA servers, Verizon Fios media servers boxes, and apparently now Plex Servers on your network... Oh my, oh my. :eek:

Yep, and with Plex, it shows movie artwork too, so it isn't just a list of file names, so that is a pleasantry until Plex proper arrives.

U2NUMB

Downloading now.. I really like the quick menu after double tap in that video.. also new friends area look fantastic.

Outside of Screenshot as a stat freak the only thing that I wish they would fix is the time played on each game. It is often so wrong.. bugs me as they have it built into the UI it just does not do a good job of tracking actual time. Also hero stats.. I want to see them all for each game on my dash.

But another great pile of updates.. keep it going MS

Spasm

o Hide Games & Apps on your console – You can now hide items in the “Ready to install” list under My Games & Apps. This is a per-console setting and items will reappear in the list if they are installed again from the Xbox Store. To access the shortcut to temporarily show “hidden” items, press X while holding down both triggers and it will show all hidden items until you exit My Games & Apps.

Of course it doesn't fucking work with Zoo Tycoon.

Well that sucks big time. Looks as though the HTPC will still be the main entertainment box.

If they put a DTS license up in the store, I'd buy it. Get crackin' Major!

ViciousDS

Banned

Yes, looks like my kdlinks is still king :(. Wasn't expecting 3d support but at least DTS 5.1. Well hopefully dlna works differently with the box with transcoding done on the computer

Izuna

Banned
Off topic but I need to ask, should I get 3TB for £76 or 4TB for £110? I am digital only and I am not sure how much memory I would need for the whole generation.

Off topic but I need to ask, should I get 3TB for £76 or 4TB for £110? I am digital only and I am not sure how much memory I would need for the whole generation.

Do you want to spend an extra £34 on 1 more TB?

I think 3TB is quite a lot, what other benefits does the 4TB one have?

U2NUMB

For the generation? More is better... with games getting up to 40gig plus you will fill it. Depends on if you have the extra money... you could also just add another 3tb or more later down the line.

Bgamer90

Banned
Microsoft did a really solid job at making features better and faster for users without kinect. Pretty ingenious implementation.

JaggedSac

I expected the usual stuff, not the cable boxes in your house as well as your plex media servers. I expected my Windows 8.1 DLNA server to show, and that was it.

Yeah, Plex server works nicely with it. Has movie artwork and such instead of just the file names so that is nice. Plays smoothly. I can now unplug my Roku and plug in my cable box for basic cable stuff.

Top Bottom