• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

Lima

Because the controller already starts flashing when the battery is low, and if you hit the home button, you can check the battery meter on screen, however some people still wanted something to pop up on screen telling you that the battery is low.

Personally it was fine as is, but if some people like cluttering notifications, then the more options the better. Hopefully I can turn that off.

No it doesn't.

That's why people wanted the notification.

Deviousx

I don't have a PS4 so I'm not entirely sure how the screenshot function works, but doesn't the share button allow you to take those "at the right moment" type screenshots? How would the XB1 be able to do that with no dedicated share button?

Pulling up a menu wouldn't let that happen. I read a post about using the sync button so that might work. I'm interested to see how MS implements it. Because once they do, I already have a feeling I'm going to be saving a lot of Halo MCC screenshots.

theDeeDubs

Love that 3D support!

Now if they let me link my ultraviolet acct to Xbox Video, I wouldn't mind having two or three of these systems in the house.

It sucks having to switch between Xbox video and VUDU to browse my cloud based movies.

Would love UV support too.

I like the addition of the Friends tab on the home/dashboard. One thing I hope they do with it though is add a Party section to it. It would be nice to have a way to manage your party directly from the dashboard as opposed to snapping it every time. I think I'd rather have that over something like the game activity which just tells me how many of my friends are playing a specific game.

Kssio_Aug

Oh, wow!! Thats a amazing update by that look of that video!!
Now if they let us take screenshots, use a wallpaper and pre-order digital games it will become 11/10!! Awesome work those guys are doing there!

PSGames

While I think this is a good idea, I think they would have to limit this feature to everything outside of M rated games and movies for obvious reasons. I don't want my family to see a bunch of boobs and hairy butts and penises popping up on the TV all the time, 3D or otherwise.

That's what parental control settings are for. A setting to turn off "custom avatars" would be simple.

They better have it ready for Sunset Overdrive.

Or else...

hc2dP.gif

I've barely had my Xbox One a week but I'm love seeing the amount of support the system is getting at the OS level. Much better than how Nintendo is updating Wii U's OS.

3D BD playback isn't something that excites me but remote downloads is. Really wish that would have been available in the July update as it would have removed the multi hour wait to play Titanfall.

If someone has an invite, I'll gladly take one so I can test out the updates. Software developer by day, gamer by night. Gamertag: RealAngryMonkey

Hopefully 3d is now supported across the whole system.

I want 3d through hdmi in, 3d content on Xbox video and support for 3d movies that Netflix already have.

Skele7on

Banned
FYI everyone that wanted the invite to the preview I have done it.

Anyone else just message me and your gamertag and I will also invite you.

Not all get in but hell it's worth a try anyway!

Kssio_Aug

I've barely had my Xbox One a week but I'm love seeing the amount of support the system is getting at the OS level. Much better than how Nintendo is updating Wii U's OS.

Xbox One sure is the getting the best updates over both PS4 and WiiU. Its now the best console OS overall imo. I was hoping that Sony would be releasing better updates this gen, but till now I'm still waiting for basic stuff since day 1. Congrats for MS about it, theyre doing a amazing job!

arhra

Video commenting, maybe a video app that bubbles up favorite, popular community vids.

Assuming you're talking about GameDVR clips, the former they're adding in this update, along with the social features for everything else that shows up in the friends feed.

The latter has been there from launch, it's the Upload app (although it wouldn't surprise me if most people don't know that's what it does, because that name is goddamn stupid).

How's OneGuide? I am from Mexico so until this update I couldn't check it, and nice about 3D BluRay playing

It SOUNDS really cool but I don't use it very much (US here). I still end up using my DirecTV remote. Need to play with it more, but the idea of integrating everything together sounds top notch.

Skele7on

Banned
I think they should also make notifications less intrusive.

When I'm watching anime and 3 friends come online, IT'S A JOKE.

Takes up a lot of the bottom of your screen and I have found that sometimes they literally do not go until the timer runs out and it's really annoying.

I miss the 360 ones Top left hand corner....

EvB

Lift the god damn 32GB limit on USB storage on 360.

Why fuckign give us free retail games and awesome sales if you won't allow us to store all the games? I only have 47GB left on my 320GB.

I think you might be in the wrong thread. or mad.

scently

Thank God for the B3D. I sold my PS3 just before I got the X1 and PS4, haven't been able to watch or buy any B3D because non of my systems could play it. Now I can resume buying B3Ds.

I think they should also make notifications less intrusive.

When I'm watching anime and 3 friends come online, IT'S A JOKE.

Takes up a lot of the bottom of your screen and I have found that sometimes they literally do not go until the timer runs out and it's really annoying.

I miss the 360 ones Top left hand corner....

Did you not watch the video? This is included. You can turn off notifications while watching a video. All notifications, or just some (party, game invite, etc).

DesertFox

Mobile initiated download is a great feature. Hopefully we will get digital pre-order/pre-load soon. Would also be nice to be able to buy digital codes at retailers to get their pre-order incentives, then pre-load the game so it's ready on release day.

Do your duty and add that idea here: http://xbox.uservoice.com/

Visited this site and voted for my favorite ideas. Seriously, why can't we use a custom image for our dashboard background? It's the little things...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Gimmie MKV playback!

Won't ever happen officially. We can only get it via an app like VLC.

A guy on my friends list is one of the higher ups in Microsoft retail and he was at Sony for the launch of PlayStation 3 as well. He told me the reason we will never see MKV support on either console is simply cost. It apparently costs a loooooooooooooot of money to get all these codecs supported on the consoles apparently.

I asked "So why can't Sony? They already have MKV support on their TVs and Bluray players". He said you pay per device. So Sony would have to pay again on PS4.

So although we know Microsoft would sell a LOT of units on the back of MKV support, I guess they don't think it would be enough to justify the cost of adding the support.

How's OneGuide? I am from Mexico so until this update I couldn't check it, and nice about 3D BluRay playing

Never used it until the other night. I actually think it's really nice looking. And I love how you can set up favorite channels with it and skip other stuff.

Also using it on my phone through the Glass is really nice. Don't even have to mess with the tv.. just use my phone.

Jomjom

Banned
3D bluray support before PS4. Sony did you forget that you were one of the major players in bringing bluray into existence?!?! What a huge failure on their part in supporting their console.

I hope Xbone starts outselling PS4 soon so that it lights a fire under Sony's ass.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
3D bluray support before PS4. Sony did you forget that you were one of the major players in bringing bluray into existence?!?! What a huge failure on their part in supporting their console.

I hope Xbone starts outselling PS4 soon so that it lights a fire under Sony's ass.

In all fairness though, 3D as a movement in media and entertainment is on life support.

arhra

Fully charged almost always shows 80% for me. And they die most of the time before the red sliver. Generally I can feel the controller dieing though.

Eneloops.

There's not a lot they can do about that, the charge reading for plain AAs is done by monitoring the voltage the battery is generating, which for ordinary alkaline batteries is a fairly linear slope that decreases as remaining charge drops, but rechargables like Eneloops tend to hold a higher voltage for longer, until they're nearly empty, at which point the voltage falls off a cliff:

m26lMX0.jpg

Top Bottom