• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one randomly turning on by itself

big_z

the last update changed how the system stays up to date. if you watched the "whats new" video thing after updating it tells you then. change your system settings, problem solved.

Mine did this recently when I was playing Bayo 2.

I pulled off a combo in the practice room, and my Xbox One turned on to to congratulate me.

it was updating

jfoul

Little update as to why my Xbox turns on randomly.

After the recent update my Samsung TV remote now works with my Xbox One. The remote is fully functional when the Xbox is on. The power button, and buttons on the remote will randomly turn on the Xbox when it's turned off.

Trojan X

Banned
eSJAt.gif

Careful OP.

I'd be curious about an actual, non goofy idea about why this happens. Mine did at (11am-ish) the other day. No controllers nearby, on a shelf away from anything that could possibly touch it, only one home, etc. Never did this before (1.5 years ownership)

F34R

My Halo 5 Limited Edition Xbox One does this daily. Randomly turns itself on. /shrugs Kinect isn't connected..

No one in the room, controller is off, watching tv via different input completely. Turns on. Just did it a few minutes ago, and I started searching for answers. My Gears Limited one doesn't do it, nor does my OG One. Hmph.

JDHarbs

Mine randomly turns on when I log into Windows once every few months or so.

It's set to energy saving mode too.

I've had this problem, too. I'm convinced it's got something to do with static in the air messing with the capacitative on button, because it happens just about exclusively in the winter months.

Corrik

I am having this problem. Recently switched to eco mode to save money in electricity and stopped using the pass thru. Now console is turning on randomly on its own. Never did this while in instant on except rarely to update. This is doing it all the time now. Once or twice a day.

Going to start pulling the plug between uses if it continues. Anyone figure out a reason why the OG x1 does this? The sensor?

cooper59

Banned
i will say my ps4 use to come in when it updated games while being in sleep mode. haven't had the problem with the x thou

93xfan

Banned
Been happening to me as well. I’ll have to clean the sensor on front of the console and see if that helps

Unmoses

Never had that here. Had a few turn on turn offs when I first got the scorpio using Harmony, but I think it had something to do with turning on the controller at the same time :)

sainraja

This use to happen to me with the Xbox One. It would randomly turn on and occasionally the controller would disconnect during gameplay. I ended up rotating the systems multiple times and it still happened with the replacements, except for when I upgraded to the Halo 5 edition console. The main thing I took note of was that it happened when it was in Instant On mode, but not when it was on Energy Savings mode. So perhaps that is why I never noticed it with the Halo 5 edition since it was mostly on Energy Savings.

ToMMSiN

Neo Member
This happens to me all the time... One thing i did notice is that it also oddly occurs when I press "Update All" on my iPhone app store.

Corrik

It is supposed to happen on instant on to download updates. It is not supposed to happen on energy saving. Instant on will turn on download and turn back off.

The problem I am having is that it is doing it on energy saving and I have a KS8000 which will automatically change inputs when another device turns on. It is a tad annoying lol.

It is supposed to happen on instant on to download updates. It is not supposed to happen on energy saving. Instant on will turn on download and turn back off.

The problem I am having is that it is doing it on energy saving and I have a KS8000 which will automatically change inputs when another device turns on. It is a tad annoying lol.
I have the same issue also

Tomeru

If you have the phat xone, make sure the front panel is clean as it you can. I cleaned lotsa consoles like that for customers. Dirt and grease and what not. It can happen. Also if you live in a humid area (like by the sea), it can also affect it.

lak100

Neo Member
hi guys i want to tell you about my experience with xbox on x service. I have the project scorpio edition and suddenly it stopped to sent signal on tv. i sent it on microsoft service at frankfurt i live at greece. When the console came back the eject button did not work i will close 2 months without a console is there anyone with similar experience?

Ar¢tos

My Ps4 does the same (and other bizarre things), now i turn it off and unplug it from the power socket after using. But i know it started happening after 2 powercuts caused by a thunderstorm.

Gideon_128

I had the random shutdown issue with my launch xbox one about 6 or 7 months ago. The problem started getting progressively worse. I noticed there was some dust caked up around the venting areas so I decided to pop my xbox open since it was well outta warranty and ms wanted $140 to fix it. Turns out my vents were nearly completely clogged in the inside and the system was going into thermal shutdown to protect itself. I clean the system, put it back together and voila...no more random shutdowns.

BANGS

Banned
Sounds like power interruption or something. Like when my power goes out during a storm and comes back on, my amazon fire box and dreampi will turn on and also will automatically turn my tv on. It's a real pain in the ass...

Strazyplus

I am very sure that playstation 3 or 4 did these low power boot ups to push system updates or download games in the background, so that would be the most likely culprit.

Last edited:
I am very sure that playstation 3 or 4 did these low power boot ups to push system updates or download games in the background, so that would be the most likely culprit.
that would only make sense if i didn't keep my xbox one in offline mode (due to the large patches that i no longer have hdd space for)

so thats definitely not the cause of the issue on XBO

MrBenchmark

that would only make sense if i didn't keep my xbox one in offline mode (due to the large patches that i no longer have hdd space for)

so thats definitely not the cause of the issue on XBO
the xbox one is sensitive to dirty power. its got a built in surge protector they say to run it straight from the power socket but if your house has dirty power or you could even need to replace the outlet in the wall. i have both my xbox one x's on there own battery backups that keeps their power clean and steady i do this because i use rest mode and power outages are not a friend of that mode have my PS4 Pro on that as well.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have noticed that if you turn your xbox off and then plug in your controller while it's off, it will turn it back on.

Markiss614

Mine does this all the time as well. I hardly ever use my Xbox One except to turn it off after it turns itself on. I do not have Kinect and I have the console set to fully power down rather than go to standby. I have discovered over time that it is somehow tied to my wifi connection. It often happens if I run an internet speed test or download a large file over wifi on my phone or laptop. Its an OG Xbox One model which I believe used some sort of wifi direct for the controller communication so it makes sense I suppose. This didn't happen initially, but started happening after one of the major firmware updates a while back.

Top Bottom