• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse confirmed running native at 900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

You know otherwise?. Man leadbetter is just lol worthy these days, some of the shit he comes out with is kray. Ohh its not all that look we took some pics off a pc game, he makes df lose creditability with each article.

I seriously don't know whats wrong with that, it's to demonsrate or get the idea of the difference.

From my understanding 16 ROP doesnt really limits You in 1080p resolution without MSAA. 32ROP was mostly added in GPUs for multi monitor rendering and resolutions around 4k and higher bandwidth.

What limits you is the available bandwidth. In order to take advantage of the ROPs, you need to have enough bandwidth.

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch28.html

The very back end of the pipeline, raster operations (often called the ROP), is responsible for reading and writing depth and stencil, doing the depth and stencil comparisons, reading and writing color, and doing alpha blending and testing. As you can see, much of the ROP workload taxes the available frame-buffer bandwidth.

So the more bandwidth you have, the more ROP units are present in a GPU. In the end, what rreally makes a big difference for the PS4 at 1080p is the GDDR5 bandwidth.

madmackem

I seriously don't know whats wrong with that, it's to demonsrate or get the idea of the difference.

It has nothing to do with the subject matter though, i dont get how taking shots of a pc game at any res can have a baring on how the console game will look. Theres other factors at play its a very simplistic way to do it and i dont think its a good idea to do.

derFeef

It has nothing to do with the subject matter though, i dont get how taking shots of a pc game at any res can have a baring on how the console game will look. Theres other factors at play its a very simplistic way to do it and i dont think its a good idea to do.

It has everything to do with the subject matter? Comparing 1080p to 900p shots. Granted we do leave TV and the upscaler out of the game so we have to do with the preview box. It's clearly visible that you lose sharpness - it's not like he is making the game look any better and that's what youa re implying, no?

TheD

The Detective
If you're talking about Halo 3, it was always a horribly bloody mess in terms of IQ, no pixel counting required. At all.

Yeah, Halo3 looks like complete arse. The pixel counting was just to prove with objective data that the game was running at a lower res and had bungie lied.

Yeah, I imagine many racing-fans sitting in front of their TV and say "damn, that's really a baked lighting!".

No, they'd probably be thinking "damn, this looks oddly fake and unnatural".

I was willing to give it a pass this gen, but my expectations are far higher for the new consoles. Project CARS already has better lighting on my not exactly current PC.

I guess the hindsight will come in a few months when proper titles start coming out with regularity.

Cancel the generation. All that stuff I said about ryse looking good when I thought it was 1080p is obsolete now that I know that same footage was actually 900p.

I honestly don't see why it matters guys

You are playing the same damn game whether its 900p or 1080p.

Downloading a 720p BluRayRip of "MOVIE A" , still has the same plot,story etc, then the 1080p bluray release of "MOVIE A"

Same game guys, same game.

Just enjoy
Don't be so sensitive with graphic fidelity, you will enjoy gaming much more.

Not if BDrip 720p and the BD release cost both 60$ o 70$

KKRT00

What limits you is the available bandwidth. In order to take advantage of the ROPs, you need to have enough bandwidth.

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch28.html

So the more bandwidth you have, the more ROP units are present in a GPU. In the end, what rreally makes a big difference for the PS4 at 1080p is the GDDR5 bandwidth.

But its solely depends of using bandwidth on framebuffer and framebuffer will be stored in ESRAM, so bandwidth wont be a problem.

ROP is not a bottleneck in Xbone, not for 1080p30 games. There are tons of other bottlenecks before it will hit any limit on ROPs. Same goes for PS4 if it had 16 ROPs.

Now I have not been keeping up with all this tech talk since I'm not getting either console at launch (gaming pcer here, yeah yeah...), but is it just wishful thinking from the people posting that this is exclusively a xbone problem and ps4 games will predominatly by at 1080p? It sounds like wishful thinking to me and those people will be in for a surprise, but I haven't been keeping up.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I just bought a 55" plasma... will this look like shit on it then? :( I'm not TV tech savy.

No. Although it is disappointing to see that non-native resolutions won't be a given, and although scaling always corrupts IQ, "shit" would be too harsh of a judgment. The game will look fine, and I'll play it.

The only thing that rustles some jimmies is that for a retail price of $500, Microsoft could have made a console that would not have needed to compromise on baselines like native 1080p. Instead, they spent parts of the R&D, BOM, and silicon budgets on media capabilities and Kinect, and thereby compromised the gaming aspect to some extend; for instance, by making a safe bet on 8GB of DDR3. For a $300 console, 900p would not be an issue, but for a $500 console, it does suck a bit, especially after we waited 7-8 years for next-gen consoles and hoped to finally get hardware that finally can deliver the native resolution of TVs.

kpaadet

Plesse tell me you don't actually fall for that excuse.

I for one believe them, the head of RAD seems very fascinated with the hole "cinematic experience" rather or not that is something positve remains unseen. But I am definitely not doubting RAD technical skills, they worked wonders on the PSP but considering alot of them is ex Naughty Dog and Blizzard that wasn't surprising.

KidBeta

But its solely depends of using bandwidth on framebuffer and framebuffer will be stored in ESRAM, so bandwidth wont be a problem.

ROP is not a bottleneck in Xbone, not for 1080p30 games. There are tons of other bottlenecks before it will hit any limit on ROPs. Same goes for PS4 if it had 16 ROPs.

Thats if the framebuffer fits in the eSRAM, depending on what they are doing and the particular sizes it may not.

velociraptor

The most important elements of a game are it's IQ and framerate (min. 30).

It doesn't matter how technically advanced a game is but if it looks like a blurry or jaggy mess, then it's going to to terrible.

Will be interesting how Ryse looks in person though. At least it isn't 720p like Killer Instinct.

szaromir

Banned
Now I have not been keeping up with all this tech talk since I'm not getting either console at launch (gaming pcer here, yeah yeah...), but is it just wishful thinking from the people posting that this is exclusively a xbone problem and ps4 games will predominatly by at 1080p? It sounds like wishful thinking to me and those people will be in for a surprise, but I haven't been keeping up.
Given the difference in the horsepower, it's not unfathomable that multiplatform developers will target 900p for the Xbone version and 1080p on PS4 and leave all the other factors the same and end up with the same framerate. Exclusive developers can target whatever revolution they want and scale the visuals accordingly.

xenist

Did a memo go out that resolution isn't a big part of a game's IQ and I missed it? Because this thread is full of such claims.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At least it isn't 720p like Killer Instinct.

Yes. Killer Instinct looks hideous.

4u0I8t3.jpg

ChryZ

I really hoped the next gen would be able to be completely native 1080p, up-scaling sub native res right off the bat is most disappointing.

It'll probably impact the PS4 as well but as of now, far more of Sony's exclusives are running at 1920x1080. I think The Order is the only one confirmed to be running at a sub-1080P resolution.

Yes. Killer Instinct looks hideous.

4u0I8t3.jpg

Good god, is it running at 60 FPS at least? It better be because that's like an unholy combination of bad IQ and bad art direction.

Rapstah

They released a 1080p video with very little compression just a couple days ago and people were praising the image quality of the game.

Can you link to it? There's a thread on here about "stunning" Ryse 1080p footage but it also says it's "only 10mbps" which I don't think is really very little compression?

AngryBird

Banned
These consoles aren't even released yet and are going to have games below 1080p like this for the next 8 years?
If this was 2008 I could understand, but in 2014 > ...
Who knows some new tv's will come out in the next 8 years (4k being mainstream?) that will make <=1080 content look terrible. Just saying maybe right now isn't an issue but later it may be.

c0de

No, they'd probably be thinking "damn, this looks oddly fake and unnatural".

I was willing to give it a pass this gen, but my expectations are far higher for the new consoles. Project CARS already has better lighting on my not exactly current PC.

I guess the hindsight will come in a few months when proper titles start coming out with regularity.

But you are projecting your expectations to a lot of people which is automatically wrong.

rjc571

Banned
When are developers going to learn that good image quality and high framerates matter more to a game's attractiveness than individually rendered facial hairs or whatever other unnoticable nonsense that the devs are wasting cycles with?

Thrakier

I have an LCD TV and I play some PC games at 45FPS if I can't reach 60 at the desired graphics (e.g. Crysis 3). It looks great, feels great, there is no input lag nor I experience any judder.

Of course there is input lag and of course you do experience judder. There is just no technical reason why you would not. Your are just not sensitive for it.

KKRT00

They are, if you have the latest spec-ed PC. They are pretty bad at optimising.

Crysis 3 and Crysis 2 completely disagree with You.

Also Ryse is still very impressive game technically.

==
Thats if the framebuffer fits in the eSRAM, depending on what they are doing and the particular sizes it may not.

Sure, but thats more ESRAM/Bandwidth bottleneck not ROP. Higher ROP count would not help at all.

===

Btw game was playable on E3, Gamescom, PAX and ComicCon but no one ever mentioned lower IQ, not even Digital Foundry. Maybe older builds were 1080p?

Thrakier

When are developers going to learn that good image quality and high framerates matter more to a game's attractiveness than individually rendered facial hairs or whatever other unnoticable nonsense that the devs are wasting cycles with?

Well, if you consider that Cerny-comment...probably never.

velociraptor

Of course there is input lag and of course you do experience judder. There is just no technical reason why you would not. Your are just not sensitive for it.
Incorrect. It's not as bad as you think it is. It's certainly much better than playing at 30FPS. Enable Triple Buffering and you're good to go.

Not a big deal. Anyone who is so concerned about 900p instead of 1080p native should go build a pc and start gaming on that platform. Because even at 900p native the game looks incredible for a FIRST GEN Xbox One software title.

velociraptor

Not a big deal. Anyone who is so concerned about 900p instead of 1080p native should go build a pc and start gaming on that platform. Because even at 900p native the game looks incredible for a FIRST GEN Xbox One software title.
No idea why everyone keeps on mentioning 'JUST BUILD A PC'. Ryse is an Xbox exclusive. Secondly, you can't trade/sell PC games. Third, I have no friends that play games on the PC.

nib95

Banned
Crysis 3 and Crysis 2 completely disagree with You.

Also Ryse is still very impressive game technically.

===

Btw game was playable on E3, Gamescom, PAX and ComicCon but no one ever mentioned lower IQ, not even Digital Foundry. Maybe older builds were 1080p?

I think so. DF actually mentions in one article a dev told them native 1080p. But at that time the build was prone to frame rate drops so maybe they couldn't optimise to the degree they wanted and instead decided on just cutting the resolution. To me at least it looks like it could have been a recent change.

QaaQer

lol... who cares. It looks amazing and is 60fps, and the new physics engine is getting a lot of incredible praise. Who cares that the time of day is fixed, who cares that there's no weather changes?

Laguna Seca has a sand storm. That's some weather if it makes you feel any better.

Yup. It will be a great game.

The big problem is that people are going to have to buy a new wheel if they want to play it that way. There is chance the same might be true for Sony's driveclub, btw. If that is the case, then fuck these games and the greedy platform holders.

tzare

to be fair, that is not exactly true since many popular games this generation have hadframerates slightly below 30 on average and many also are sub HD.
So i guess it depends on the game and obviously the gamer. Some prefere eyecandy, others high IQ or/and higher framerates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom