• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one (S) Black level : another thread

III-V

if there is any confusion, just make sure that both TV and console is in limited. Its going to look like it is supposed to.

so the best is seth both to limited and deal wth unapropriate level? ;(

Thats where you have confusion. Setting both to limited ensures the correct mappings.

Caayn

I've noticed this back when I first got the XB1s. Just check and this still seems to be the case.

4K + 24bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = normal
4K + 30 bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = washed out
4K + 36bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = washed out

4K + 24bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal
4K + 30 bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal
4K + 36bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal

1080p + 24bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = normal
1080p + 30 bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = normal
1080p + 36bits + (XB1) pc RGB + (TV) RGB full = normal

1080p + 24bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal
1080p + 30 bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal
1080p + 36bits + (XB1) standard RGB + (TV) RGB limited = normal

I've also noticed that when you've got HDR active with RGB full (on both the TV and the XB1) that the picture looks washed out in FH3.

alu_boh

Neo Member
to muddy the waters slightly.. I have an original Xb1 (non-S) version, the HDMI settings also have options for 8-bit, 10-bit color, and limited vs full.

Is it correct that the XB 1 (non-S), which does not support HDR and only uses HDMI 1.4 spec, that it can't actually send 10-bit color? Or is that something else.

RidHood

Neo Member
I definitely need someone's help here..

I can't seem to find the right setting with the black level, I have a Samsung 55KU6400 TV and the Xbox One S.

The Xbox black level is set to standard, and the TV in game mode, set on auto (low). I was fine with it at first but then realised that the black were crushed a little bit, especially when playing a Xbox 360 game (Bioshock or Alan Wake).

I tried setting the TV black level to standard but the blacks turned grey and everything seems washed out..

Now I'm lost, I have the choice between crushed black or washed out grey, any help ?

EvB

I definitely need someone's help here..

I can't seem to find the right setting with the black level, I have a Samsung 55KU6400 TV and the Xbox One S.

The Xbox black level is set to standard, and the TV in game mode, set on auto (low). I was fine with it at first but then realised that the black were crushed a little bit, especially when playing a Xbox 360 game (Bioshock or Alan Wake).

I tried setting the TV black level to standard but the blacks turned grey and everything seems washed out..

Now I'm lost, I have the choice between crushed black or washed out grey, any help ?

Digital Foundry have a guide here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-settings-for-hdr-on-samsung-4k-tvs

On Samsung TVs he black level setting normal Matches the black level with the input. Low is intended for full range RGB

If you have set it to "low" then your blacks and whites will be wrong.
If blacks are washed out at this point then you need to turn your backlight down.

Treats

Neo Member
Do not use full RGB on Xbox One. It is broken. You will get black crush.

You need to set your display to limited as well as the XO.

I've tested this extensively and, when outputting limited, shadow detail is preserved. Using full destroys shadow detail and it cannot be made visible. So it is not always outputting full.

Is this still th case?
I have xbone s with PC monitor, wondering what the best setting is.

Last edited:
Limited is fine. If you were using your TV as a computer monitor and done full calibration with RGB Full as reference you would want the Xbox on full to take advantage of that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Xbox One X and my monitor have to be full/full or I lose tons.

shpankey

not an idiot
Digital Foundry have a guide here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-settings-for-hdr-on-samsung-4k-tvs

On Samsung TVs he black level setting normal Matches the black level with the input. Low is intended for full range RGB

If you have set it to "low" then your blacks and whites will be wrong.
If blacks are washed out at this point then you need to turn your backlight down.

I can absolutely confirm you have this wrong now. Awhile back, though it's been a bit now, Samsung switched these for some reason unknown to anyone. On my professionally calibrated by ISF legend Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma HDTV, the following is correct:

"Low" is for Colorspace "Standard" setting on Xbox.
"Normal" is for "PC RGB" setting on Xbox.

This has been confirmed on subsequent "tune-ups" by the calibrator. So "Normal" on Standard/Limited will now wash out the screen and "Low" on PC RGB will crush the blacks. This is even readily apparent to the naked eye, but I'm used to a calibrated display on all of my devices. When the TV originally launched, the reverse was true, and then one of the firmware updates switched them. So it may technically depend on if you're running an older firmware or not.

Last edited:

EvB

I can absolutely confirm you have this wrong now. Awhile back, though it's been a bit now, Samsung switched these for some reason unknown to anyone. On my professionally calibrated by ISF legend Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma HDTV, the following is correct:

"Low" is for Colorspace "Standard" setting on Xbox.
"Normal" is for "PC RGB" setting on Xbox.

This has been confirmed on subsequent "tune-ups" by the calibrator. So "Normal" on Standard/Limited will now wash out the screen and "Low" on PC RGB will crush the blacks. This is even readily apparent to the naked eye, but I'm used to a calibrated display on all of my devices. When the TV originally launched, the reverse was true, and then one of the firmware updates switched them. So it may technically depend on if you're running an older firmware or not.

I don’t know where I got that from. It’s quite clear on my TV that what you say is the case. I actually have mine set to auto and you don’t need it at all if you have 30bit colour turned on in the dash

Top Bottom