• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

EvB

How do you get the new Windows 10 Xbox App? My current one suddenly stopped working and refuses to record any CSGO clips, used to work just fine, but not it won't Record clips, or take Screenshots.

Hoping the new app fixes this, and I want to see if CSGO is one of the games that's allowed to be shared on Xbox Live :D

Try downloading the beta one, that's the only one that works for me

If anyone can try to replicate a crash I experienced twice last night, I would like to know if it's the preview dash:

While using HBO Now this evening I was downloading a couple of games at the same time. When I started the show I was watching I wanted to skip the intro, but when I stopped fast forwarding the entire system crashed and restarted. This was not a one time event as the exact same thing happened again when I tried to then rewind the show after the reset because I had apparently fast forwarded too far. I don't know if there are other triggers for the system crash, but it seems to happen every time you fast forward or rewind with downloads in your queue.

I put up a post on the preview forums, no replies yet, but have a feeling not many people would hit this exact scenario within preview. This was also after the update yesterday that was ~350Mb or so.

watership

Got the update, working good so far.

Big gripe is that cortana is not working in Canada. This again. I know it's probably something to do with French, but MS has been famously slow on cortana roll outs to markets. I know it's a resource problem but not releasing features in many regions, and taking too long to catch up, is a shitty hallmark of old Microsoft.

if this thing comes out of preview without Cortana in many markets, it's just a waste.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is it just me, or is Cortana way more accurate than the Kinect? Even when I speak to Cortana trough my Kinect, Cortana hears what i`m saying way better than the Kinect alone ever did.

Is it just me, or is Cortana way more accurate than the Kinect? Even when I speak to Cortana trough my Kinect, Cortana hears what i`m saying way better than the Kinect alone ever did.

Sadly, I don't know.

I received the update, got to try it maybe once, and my Kinect died.

S.O.A.B.

Alx

Yeah the previous voice commands worked offline, while Cortana is cloud-based, which makes her much versatile ; on the downside we get more latency and the occasional "sorry can't connect to the internet" answer.

ss_lemonade

Does the latest interface run much better? I haven't been using my xbox one too much but I never forget how the dashboard just feels so sluggish and not engineered well. There's like some delay to every input I press, like it's buffering inputs or something. I even found a spot where the wrong dashboard sound effect plays (and thus, gets cut off because it sounds like 2 audio cues play at the same time).

link1201

It's still sort of early days but I like the responsiveness much better now. I feel as though my xbox is going to explode when Cortana gets stuck on a loop though. I can't wait for the bug squashing updates.

Goddamn cortana sucks. Takes FOREVER to do something too.

"hey cortana launch plex"
searches bing for plex
"hey cortana play halo"
searches bing for play halo
"hey cortana invite jarret to play halo"
"i dont see gary on your friends list"

media controls are so much worse. "xbox pause" is so quick. "hey cortana resume" is so cumbersome

and finally, the one that made me turn off my xbox:
"hey cortana, find me cheap pizza places nearby"
--list of chinese restaurants--

Alx

Yeah they should do something about the web searches, because it happens too often. I would even prefer a prompt "do you want to do a web search ?" rather than keep seeing useless search results for "go home" on my screen. Just now I couldn't manage to go home after 10 tries, Cortana seemed stuck in "web search" mode.
It's really a weird bug, the speech recognition obviously worked perfectly, I wonder how the web search got priority over the command. They absolutely need to fix that before release or they'll kill all interest in voice commands in a few hours.

rob305

searches bing for plex
"hey cortana play halo"
"hey cortana invite jarret to play halo"
"i dont see gary on your friends list"

media controls are so much worse. "xbox pause" is so quick. "hey cortana resume" is so cumbersome

and finally, the one that made me turn off my xbox:
"hey cortana, find me cheap pizza places nearby"
--list of chinese restaurants--

***BETA***

link1201

Only issue I have with my voice commands not being recognized is with Witcher 3. I don't even get a web search when I say it.

My experience so far has been ok. It seems to take longer to do things like take a screenshot or record game play sometimes. I would put in a request and after it was done I would hear that searching sound even when not searching. On the bright side being able to ask how long will it take me to get to work and what the weather going to be today is some next level stuff.

Got the update, working good so far.

Big gripe is that cortana is not working in Canada. This again. I know it's probably something to do with French, but MS has been famously slow on cortana roll outs to markets. I know it's a resource problem but not releasing features in many regions, and taking too long to catch up, is a shitty hallmark of old Microsoft.

if this thing comes out of preview without Cortana in many markets, it's just a waste.

It is kind of strange considering Cortana voice support for Canada is now in the Windows 10 preview. Maybe they want to iron out the bugs there first, then role it out to XB One?

I have yet to try it out in the Win 10 preview, thinking about it now makes me want to do so, try out some Canadian words, eh, haha.

AzBat

Anybody in the preview complaining about their bad Cortana experiences should be doing at least 2 things: 1) reporting feedback via the console. Without console feedback they can't track the problems to make it better. 2) reading the preview forums. There you would see they are aware of the performance issues & it's not where they are wanting it yet. Plus they know of the problem of it relying too much on cloud/Bing. That shouldn't be the default behavior. Both things are being targeted for fixes ASAP. Cortana will be a much better service once it ships for everybody. I suspect we might even get the option on selecting between the old Xbox voice commands & Cortana. They replied they heard that feedback loud & clear.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
***BETA***

Cortana has been finished for a year now, this is the same Cortana that sits on your Windows 10 PC. I doubt the problems will go away. There should be an option to change the key command, there should be an option to actually teach her what you want to do. Like say something, then manually go where you want to be taken. And then she understands it next time. The way it works now is just an inferior version of the previous Kinect commands. Where it took two seconds to launch any game it now takes ten. If she can connect to the server, which seems to be the case every second command. And in non English versions she is infinitely worse. Good luck trying to get her to launch a game with an English title with German settings. She's trying to turn that title into any German expression. I can't even say "Hey Cortana, unsnap" in German, she just bings some shit.

AzBat

It is kind of strange considering Cortana voice support for Canada is now in the Windows 10 preview. Maybe they want to iron out the bugs there first, then role it out to XB One?

I have yet to try it out in the Win 10 preview, thinking about it now makes me want to do so, try out some Canadian words, eh, haha.

MS has said that since that French support isn't ready they can't launch in Canada. Evidently Canada requires support for both languages. They even went as far as saying you need to complain to your government for the requirement. lol

rob305

Cortana has been finished for a year now, this is the same Cortana that sits on your Windows 10 PC. I doubt the problems will go away. There should be an option to change the key command, there should be an option to actually teach her what you want to do. Like say something, then manually go where you want to be taken. And then she understands it next time. The way it works now is just an inferior version of the previous Kinect commands. Where it took two seconds to launch any game it now takes ten. If she can connect to the server, which seems to be the case every second command. And in non English versions she is infinitely worse. Good luck trying to get her to launch a game with an English title with German settings. She's trying to turn that title into any German expression. I can't even say "Hey Cortana, unsnap" in German, she just bings some shit.

Read the changelog and the known issues (this is only regarding Cortana as of yesterday):
• Cortana
• If Cortana doesn’t hear you the first time, you can usually try saying the phrase again.
• In some cases Cortana won’t recognize the name of any game or app (ie. "Hey Cortana open Netflix"). This is an issue we’re working to address, so please use Report a problem if you encounter it. You can resolve this by launching Cortana from My games & apps, returning to the dashboard. On Cortana in Snap. On Cortana in Snap Tile in home, press the menu button to open the menu and select "Quit", which will reload Cortana, on next use.
• If Cortana says she didn’t hear you right after you say “Hey Cortana”, navigate to Settings > Account > Privacy > App > Speech > Collect Info (accept)” and confirm the setting is checked.
• When Cortana is “Thinking…” sometimes the sounds continue longer than intended. You can open Cortana from Guide or My Games & Apps and then close it again by hitting B button.
• On the first use of "Hey Cortana" after a reboot or crash, Cortana snaps but may display no results.
• You may be unable to use See-It-Say-It in various apps such as Netflix, YouTube, and the Blu-Ray Player app.
• Cortana sometimes needs to spend more time "Warming up..." than she should.
• Sometimes short commands are recognized incorrectly (ie. "Hey Cortana mute", "Hey Cortana pause") and initiate a web search instead.
• Sometimes short commands take longer than they should to be recognized (ie. "Hey Cortana mute", "Hey Cortana pause").
• "Hey Cortana snap TV" sometimes launches Movies & TV, rather than TV, until you say "1" or "2".
• "Hey Cortana turn off the Xbox" ... "Yes" in UK, FR, IT, DE, and ES sometimes gets stuck on the confirmation and fails.

Bsigg12

Cortana is anything but finished for the Xbox One build. It may have the same hooks as the Windows Phone 10 and Windows 10 features but the Xbox specific features are still being built out and refined hence a huge of issues right now.

mike4001_

Yes, the German version is basically unusable.

I tried several times to say "Hey Cortana, Pause" during a movie, she always did a Web Search of "Hause" ...

The problem is that with the old commands Xbox had a series of commands and matched your speech to the nearest one, which was right 99% of the time.

Now the system is really trying to write down the text you are saying and then interpreting it. And if you have Kinect and say this across the room it is just not working and I highly suspect it never will (via Kinect)

Yoday

I've encountered a pretty big issue in the EA Access vault not being supported by the new store. Vault games simply don't have an option to install on the store pages. Has anyone found a way around this?

Yes, the German version is basically unusable.

I tried several times to say "Hey Cortana, Pause" during a movie, she always did a Web Search of "Hause" ...

The problem is that with the old commands Xbox had a series of commands and matched your speech to the nearest one, which was right 99% of the time.

Now the system is really trying to write down the text you are saying and then interpreting it. And if you have Kinect and say this across the room it is just not working and I highly suspect it never will (via Kinect)
file feedback from the console. It WILL get looked at and without people reporting it they are less likely to know about specific issues like the pause one

JaggedSac

Yeah they should do something about the web searches, because it happens too often. I would even prefer a prompt "do you want to do a web search ?" rather than keep seeing useless search results for "go home" on my screen. Just now I couldn't manage to go home after 10 tries, Cortana seemed stuck in "web search" mode.
It's really a weird bug, the speech recognition obviously worked perfectly, I wonder how the web search got priority over the command. They absolutely need to fix that before release or they'll kill all interest in voice commands in a few hours.

Agreed. Web search should be a prompt. Happens too often.

Bessy67

Cortana is super slow. Xbox pause used to be instant, Hey Cortana pause takes 5-10 seconds. Really annoying when the "upgrade" is worse than the old method. Hopefully it gets a lot faster in the coming weeks, or they bring back the Xbox commands in addition to the Hey Cortana ones.

jond76

Banned
I've encountered a pretty big issue in the EA Access vault not being supported by the new store. Vault games simply don't have an option to install on the store pages. Has anyone found a way around this?

You may want to check but I believe all the Ea vault game popped up in my Ready to Install list. I noticed because it was all sports games.

jesu

Cortana is super slow. Xbox pause used to be instant, Hey Cortana pause takes 5-10 seconds. Really annoying when the "upgrade" is worse than the old method. Hopefully it gets a lot faster in the coming weeks, or they bring back the Xbox commands in addition to the Hey Cortana ones.

This isn't the upgrade.

Yoday

You may want to check but I believe all the Ea vault game popped up in my Ready to Install list. I noticed because it was all sports games.
Most vault games are in my list, but the one I actually want to install, FIFA 16, isn't. It's very strange.

Edit: Turns out I had FIFA 16 hidden in my library. I tend to hide trial games when I am done with them.

Lazaro

Hey Cortana, where do I hide a dead body?
Hey Cortana, use the force.
Hey Cortana, where's Master Chief?
Hey Cortana, what's the first rule of fight club.
Hey Cortana, do an impression.

Rembrandt

Banned
Can u turn ofd Cortana and did anyone get in tonight???

i just went through the settings and didn't find an option, but yeah, i got in. just turned my xbox on and had no clue until i didn't see my games and apps at the bottom.

cortana takes a little bit longer but it's way more accurate. picks up "volume up 10" with ease.

SOR5

New gamerpics available, grab them now, especially if you still got a stupid 30x30 picture of your avatar fistpumping from the 360

Xbk5bmh.png

searches bing for plex
"hey cortana play halo"

This was my problem when I tried Cortana on PC. More often than not, it just resulted in my browser being opened to search for the phrase I just said. Which is fairly useless.

It still bottles my mind how people still don't understand that betas aren't finished products

The problem The Jackdog described is the same problem I had months ago. That's apparently an issue with how Cortana processes requests, not really something Xbox-specific.

watership

one big strange bug right now. Out of the blue the Xbox will pop up and tell me Cortana is not available in my region, like I have activated it. I was watching a tv show at the time via Plex. This occurred a number of times over the past few hours.

I am also having the shut down bug, where I can tell the Xbox to turn off, but not the "yes" part. I believe this is a known bug however.

Top Bottom