• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Montresor

I just downloaded Xbox One's new OS and I noticed three broken things within seconds.

I'm so incredibly frustrated not necessarily because any of these things I noticed are particularly deal-breaking. But I don't understand how out of the hundreds (or thousands) of people out of the Xbox division, or out of the hundreds of thousands of people potentially in the preview program, how did no one step up and say "Something isn't right here - this doesn't work".

Why do I login within seconds of installing this update and notice all this right away, and why didn't anyone else working for Microsoft notice this?

First thing I noticed: I'm in Canada so Cortana doesn't work for my "region" - does Microsoft know that Canadians speak English? Why the fuck would Cortana be disabled for me? How about immediately flicking a switch so that my English-speaking region can participate in English-speaking voice recognition?

Second thing I noticed: I'm checking the new store, which looks incredibly slick. But it has five tabs at the top: Featured, Games, Apps, Films&TV, Search. The store seems great, slick, snappy, but there is no visual UI feedback letting you know once you've switched to a new section of the store. The "Featured, Games, Apps, Films&TV, Search" titles at the top are always unbolded and plain at the top of the screen, no matter which section you're in.

Third thing I noticed: And lastly, I was excited to try the "Manage Leftovers & Addons". I went to Settings > Storage > Manage Leftovers & Addons. It doesn't fucking work. It says "You need an App to try this". And then I click a button that says "Would you like to search the store for an app" and then it takes me to the store with zero search results.

The second item above may be a slight nitpick but it seems like such a dumb User Interface oversight. Items #1 and #3 are ridiculous.

Montresor

Another broken/annoying User Interface thing I found, jesus Christ.

On the dashboard there is an advertisement for Gears of War 4 that shows a picture of Laura Bailey (voice actor) playing the game (from E3).

This isn't the exact picture, but it looks something like this:

Screen-Shot-2016-06-13-at-12.36.36-PM-640x355.png

I clicked on the ad thinking it would take me to a video showing Laura Bailey playing the game. Instead it takes me to the Gears of War 4 store page, which has zero movie or trailers. Heh. You can't make this stuff up. I'm extremely unimpressed with this.

I know I may sound like nitpicking but it's been three years and not only can they not get basic stuff like User Interface design right, but new features are completely broken (Cortana disabled for english-speaking countries like Canada), and old features from 360 are still missing.

Jallopy

I'm getting network disconnects. Haven't played around to much, but I've noticed that in my short time with the update. Anybody else seeing this behavior?

I was watching that video on Xbox One about what's new and in the video I see their download speed being 189mbps. How is that possible? I don't get more then 70mbps with a 150mbits connection. How come?

I was watching that video on Xbox One about what's new and in the video I see their download speed being 189mbps. How is that possible? I don't get more then 70mbps with a 150mbits connection. How come?

If you have a 200mbits connection you can download files with 200mbps. It's megaBITS that XBOX is displaying, not megBytes. It's different.

malfcn

Store is bad. It is clunky and crashes on me still. And the installation tab on home stopped working for me. It doesn't show progress, it stays as a tip.

Got a new update tonight.
There was none available earlier.

Al-ibn Kermit

How do you force an update back to the last official os? After talking with ms support for 2 hours over why this external hard drive I just bought isn't being recognized they said it probably has to do with me being in the xbox preview program as many preview users are reporting bugs. So I did a complete console reset and am now on 14393.1023 (the current official OS is 14393.1018).

So fucking frustrated at this point. Just hoping when I go back to the last official OS version that everything works. Keep this in mind for anyone using the preview thing.

malfcn

I just wanted to update before going to bed. Not I'm stuck with a green screen. Can't go to bed like this.

Thank Spencer, it completed the restart.
Running 10.0.1.14393.1023 now.

Ade

How do you force an update back to the last official os? After talking with ms support for 2 hours over why this external hard drive I just bought isn't being recognized they said it probably has to do with me being in the xbox preview program as many preview users are reporting bugs. So I did a complete console reset and am now on 14393.1023 (the current official OS is 14393.1018).

So fucking frustrated at this point. Just hoping when I go back to the last official OS version that everything works. Keep this in mind for anyone using the preview thing.

There currently is no preview? I thought they rolled out the latest to everyone over the weekend

Kingbrave

There currently is no preview? I thought they rolled out the latest to everyone over the weekend

Nope, still is a preview and a new update as of August 31 9pm Eastern. It had a few bug fixes.

HOW TO GET IT
• If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
• NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.
• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 2:00 PM PDT 8/1/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.
DETAILS
OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160729-1700 Available: 6:00PM PDT 7/31 (1:00 AM GMT 1/8)
Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things to be aware of before you jump in.
• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Windows 10 Anniversary edition update or later. This means… • Games purchased on a console running a Windows 10 Anniversary edition can be played on any console running that build or later. • Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console. • Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.
• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.
FIXES
• My Games & Apps • Resolved an issue where Skyrock app was unusable after updating.
CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES
• My Games & Apps • If a universal app version of an app is available, the version which is not currently installed may appear under Ready to Install (causing what appears to be the same app both installed and in Ready to Install). • You may encounter an an installation error (0x800700002) when attempting to install or update universal apps. Workaround: Uninstall and reinstall the app. If you have the app installed on both the internal hard drive and an external hard drive, be sure to uninstall from both. • The following games may appear under Apps instead of Games: Kinect Sports Rivals, Kinect Sports Rivals Hub, Nutjitsu, Threes, Voice Commander.
• Netflix You may experience a “Do you own this game or app?” error when launching or using Netflix if it was installed by another user on the console. Workaround: While signed in as the primary user, navigate to the Store, search for Netflix and select Free to download and install it.
• Profile When selecting “Add new” to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.
• Pins If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.
• Community Calendar Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.

If you have a 200mbits connection you can download files with 200mbps. It's megaBITS that XBOX is displaying, not megBytes. It's different.

I know that but the fact is my connection is 150mbits and yet I only reach 70mbits max on Xbox One. So I kinda thought this was the overall max for Xbox One.

Oh and what is it with the Updates section? It took almost 5 minutes to load and turns out there was nothing, no updates. Why does that take so insane long? Yet the other day it loaded instantly.

I know that but the fact is my connection is 150mbits and yet I only reach 70mbits max on Xbox One. So I kinda thought this was the overall max for Xbox One.

Oh and what is it with the Updates section? It took almost 5 minutes to load and turns out there was nothing, no updates. Why does that take so insane long? Yet the other day it loaded instantly.

Its pretty inconsistent the uodate tab..

I just downloaded Xbox One's new OS and I noticed three broken things within seconds.

I'm so incredibly frustrated not necessarily because any of these things I noticed are particularly deal-breaking. But I don't understand how out of the hundreds (or thousands) of people out of the Xbox division, or out of the hundreds of thousands of people potentially in the preview program, how did no one step up and say "Something isn't right here - this doesn't work".

Why do I login within seconds of installing this update and notice all this right away, and why didn't anyone else working for Microsoft notice this?

First thing I noticed: I'm in Canada so Cortana doesn't work for my "region" - does Microsoft know that Canadians speak English? Why the fuck would Cortana be disabled for me? How about immediately flicking a switch so that my English-speaking region can participate in English-speaking voice recognition?

Second thing I noticed: I'm checking the new store, which looks incredibly slick. But it has five tabs at the top: Featured, Games, Apps, Films&TV, Search. The store seems great, slick, snappy, but there is no visual UI feedback letting you know once you've switched to a new section of the store. The "Featured, Games, Apps, Films&TV, Search" titles at the top are always unbolded and plain at the top of the screen, no matter which section you're in.

Third thing I noticed: And lastly, I was excited to try the "Manage Leftovers & Addons". I went to Settings > Storage > Manage Leftovers & Addons. It doesn't fucking work. It says "You need an App to try this". And then I click a button that says "Would you like to search the store for an app" and then it takes me to the store with zero search results.

The second item above may be a slight nitpick but it seems like such a dumb User Interface oversight. Items #1 and #3 are ridiculous.

Submit it as feedback.

Its pretty inconsistent the uodate tab..

For sure. But there's also plenty of other things just not working at all. I just opened Xbox Avatars and I wanted to customize my character but before I could select hair for example it just crashed back to dashboard. I try it again, crash within seconds. Come on now.

Where can I find my avatar awards clothing by the way?

Oh...

So Rise of the Tomb Raider cannot be played right now? I start it up, i see the background picture and then it closes down back to dashboard, :I

What is up with the download speed severely going down when I just play a game? Just now I was downloading Ori DE and while I was not in a game it said 90 to 100 Mb/s. I then went back into Fallout 4 and after a while I wanted to see how far along it was and i saw it had went down to 30, which is crazy. Why is this?

Overall the download speed seems to be all over the place on Xbox One. Even when not in a game. Just now it went from 100 to 40.

dLMN8R

What is up with the download speed severely going down when I just play a game? Just now I was downloading Ori DE and while I was not in a game it said 90 to 100 Mb/s. I then went back into Fallout 4 and after a while I wanted to see how far along it was and i saw it had went down to 30, which is crazy. Why is this?

Overall the download speed seems to be all over the place on Xbox One. Even when not in a game. Just now it went from 100 to 40.

This is intentional and has always been this way since the Xbox One launched. A game can declare itself to require network resources, and if it does, then it'll automatically throttle ongoing downloads when it's running.

So you can only use cortana if your region is set to US or UK...what the hell was the point of seperating location from language then?

There's no reason why cortana shouldn't work if you set your language to English(US) or English(UK).

This is intentional and has always been this way since the Xbox One launched. A game can declare itself to require network resources, and if it does, then it'll automatically throttle ongoing downloads when it's running.

But Fallout 4 is solely a singleplayer game.

So you can only use cortana if your region is set to US or UK...what the hell was the point of seperating location from language then?

There's no reason why cortana shouldn't work if you set your language to English(US) or English(UK).

I think that's more a Cortana "issue" than something that's Xbox specific, as Cortana has been tied to location regardless of language on Windows since the beginning. I believe they've stated it's due to wanting to have a personal Cortana experience to each region.

Lima

But Cortana works if you do that. I don't get what you are saying.

Just set your language and language region to English(US or UK) and your location to whatever country you live in and you can use cortana.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the update so far. The dash is way snappier than before, which was my biggest issue. No glitches or crashes yet.

But Cortana works if you do that. I don't get what you are saying.

Just set your language and language region to English(US or UK) and your location to whatever country you live in and you can use cortana.

I tried it and it didn't work, cortana ignored me ;_;

dLMN8R

But Fallout 4 is solely a singleplayer game.

Bethesda could have other reasons to do this. Perhaps they stream a lot of data from disk into memory while playing, and a fast download would hog disk bandwidth that would otherwise be used for the game.

But like I said, any game can mark itself to do this for any reason. So you'd have to complain to Bethesda if Fallout 4 is causing this to happen. It's not behavior that's new to the Summer update, and it's not a decision that Microsoft can overrule in this case.

Works fine for me.

Brand new update for Preview just now and the game still doesn't work. I boot it up and after the picture with Lara it closes down. Maybe I need to remove and install again.

NOPE..... I uninstalled it. Started installing it again and when it said Ready to start I tried it again and it just crashed all the same. Fuck this bullshit for real.

Bethesda could have other reasons to do this. Perhaps they stream a lot of data from disk into memory while playing, and a fast download would hog disk bandwidth that would otherwise be used for the game.

But like I said, any game can mark itself to do this for any reason. So you'd have to complain to Bethesda if Fallout 4 is causing this to happen. It's not behavior that's new to the Summer update, and it's not a decision that Microsoft can overrule in this case.

Ah I see. In that case I'm just going to have to accept it.

Zedox

Brand new update for Preview just now and the game still doesn't work. I boot it up and after the picture with Lara it closes down. Maybe I need to remove and install again.

NOPE..... I uninstalled it. Started installing it again and when it said Ready to start I tried it again and it just crashed all the same. Fuck this bullshit for real.

Ah I see. In that case I'm just going to have to accept it.

Have you done a hard reset? Something in the cache might be messing it up.

Have you done a hard reset? Something in the cache might be messing it up.

Yep, tried it all. So no Tomb Raiding for me, that's quite clear. I reported the problem to MS. Hope they fix this soon. I recall someone else in this thread having the same issue and that was last week.

Talked to Xbox chat support about the issue. They believe it's a storage issue and that i should either try installing Rise of the TR to my internal HDD or uninstall the game, install a demo and then install Rise of the TR again.

After last nights update I cant launch Tomb Raider any more. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Have you gotten yours to work again?

I have reported the issue to MS via the app on Xbox One and i made a thread in the Xbox.com preview forums.

Honestly, if Preview is now going to make some games simply not work, it's probably time for me to call it quits. It's cool to have new features early, but those almost daily updates weren't that cool and i think i can manage without Preview. I think i should do that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you have a Kinect, you can say, "Hey Cortana" while the xbox is sleeping and the light on the Kinect will turn on. After you see that response, you can then say, "Xbox On" and it'll work. Previously, I would have a 50% success rate. Didn't realize before that the Kinect had to wake up first. Well, I knew that it had to wake up, but didn't know how long. That light indicator to let you know that it's listening is awesome.

Not sure if they ever had that prior to this update. If they did, I didn't notice it.

It's a new universal app and crushes blacks. So annoying. Hopefully it's fixed soon as the old app had no problems.

New Netflix uwp doesn't seem to have the same issues.

I knew it.....WTF

I thought my TV was the problem or maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

Thank you and i will wait for a fix.

Don't you just love when they "REFRESH" some app and just completely fuck it up.

It really is fucking ridiculous, especially since Cortana is available in Canada for Windows 10. Even worse is that for the odd exception, we have a similar damn accent as people from the Northern States. And you can't even blame Quebec for them speaking French either, because Cortana is available in France as per the initial rollout

Top Bottom