• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Bizzquik

Xbox 360 use to be able to stream my entire iTunes and other libraries. I believe you could even plug in a iPod and use that. Does Xbox One even do any of those? I know those sound like antiquated features with streaming and all, and i stopped using it ages ago on 360, but it was still a cool feature.

We've been asking about this above.
"Networked devices" (other computers on the network or devices plugged into the 360's USB port)

....Not available. Not sure if they will be added later, or....But as of right now, "background music" seems to be all about apps.
I really just want to stream my own music from my own Windows computer (server). Its so easy to do on the 360.

malfcn

So the other day I had two copies of Netflix and Hulu (one old and one uwp) and now the old are missing. What happened to the old copies and storage space.

etta

my hard graphic balls
We've been asking about this above.
"Networked devices" (other computers on the network or devices plugged into the 360's USB port)

....Not available. Not sure if they will be added later, or....But as of right now, "background music" seems to be all about apps.
I really just want to stream my own music from my own Windows computer (server). Its so easy to do on the 360.
Have you tried adding the music to your OneDrive? I know it's not as ideal, but it's a decent alternative.

Bizzquik

Have you tried adding the music to your OneDrive? I know it's not as ideal, but it's a decent alternative.

I appreciate the suggestion. My complaint with OneDrive is that it only allows for 5 (free) gigs of storage.

I guess I could just store my favorites there and make do until (hopefully) Microsoft expands background music beyond apps.

So then it's an app that manages the playing of music, and not the OS itself (like the 360 did)?

Will Groove or whatever recognize a usb drive with mp3s? Because that's how I ripped all 200+ albums I had a few years back and I'm not subscribed to any music services.

Lima

So much for "background music takes time because we want to do it right"

What a fucking joke. By the way while you are at it fixing this shit Microsoft get on the phone with Spotify and dump a load of money on them so they make their app available on Xbox too. Cause you know make the service that people actually use available.

SPDIF

Will Groove or whatever recognize a usb drive with mp3s? Because that's how I ripped all 200+ albums I had a few years back and I'm not subscribed to any music services.

I'm not sure if Groove will do that, but other apps definitely can.

So much for "background music takes time because we want to do it right"

Well to be fair, I think they have done it right (at least in theory). Rather than tie the functionality to just one single app, or the OS itself, they've completely opened it up to developers, allowing anybody or any company to release an app that offers background music functionality. VLC is coming soon to the Xbox, I imagine it will be one of the first apps to let you stream music over your local network. Or who knows, MS might surprise people and update the media player app (which i think can already access media over the local network), to support background music. In fact, that's exactly what they should do if Groove is only going to support streaming.

Well to be fair, I think they have done it right (at least in theory). Rather than tie the functionality to just one single app, or the OS itself, they've completely opened it up to developers, allowing anybody or any company to release an app that offers background music functionality. VLC is coming soon to the Xbox, I imagine it will be one of the first apps to let you stream music over your local network. Or who knows, MS might surprise people and update the media player app (which i think can already access media over the local network), to support background music. In fact, that's exactly what they should do, if Groove is only going to support streaming.

Yea, I am hoping they expand support to the the media player app.

By the way while you are at it fixing this shit Microsoft get on the phone with Spotify and dump a load of money on them so they make their app available on Xbox too. Cause you know make the service that people actually use available.

Would be cool to see - more options are always better, especially if said options are very popular/widely-used. As an aside, I actually have come to prefer Groove (formally Zune, formerly Xbox Music) to Spotify (for me) - so while not ideal, it's worth trying out if you haven't.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I appreciate the suggestion. My complaint with OneDrive is that it only allows for 5 (free) gigs of storage.

I guess I could just store my favorites there and make do until (hopefully) Microsoft expands background music beyond apps.
Oh, I have 30GB of cloud storage from being an Insider on Windows 10 I think, or some sort of promotion that I did I don't remember.

Yup, Groove plays mp3 or iTunes' m4a. I just dumped my iTunes library into OneDrive and Groove scanned and picked up everything.

SPDIF

Yup, Groove plays mp3 or iTunes' m4a. I just dumped my iTunes library into OneDrive and Groove scanned and picked up everything.

Yeah, I have no doubts that it can do it with songs in the cloud, but I'm talking about (and I think disappeared was too) putting a bunch of MP3s on a USB, inserting it into the console, and playing them locally through Groove. Do you know if it can do that or not?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, I have no doubts that it can do it with songs in the cloud, but I'm talking about (and I think disappeared was too) putting a bunch of MP3s on a USB, inserting it into the console, and playing them locally through Groove. Do you know if it can do that or not?
Oh I don't think so, but then the Media Player app should be able to do that, they just need to update it to support background music. I am sure it will be updated though.

Bizzquik

Wow. I'm done with Groove. Absolutely the opposite of drag-and-drop. Syncing issues, multiple logins, etc, etc. I never asked for this app.

I think there's going to be a lot of anger on the internet if Microsoft took away basic functionality - USB or server music playback on Xbox - in order to force people to funnel their music through OneDrive.

"Background Music" is an ubiquitous term. But for me, it means playing my music from my devices without restraints. If Microsoft views this differently - if this long-requested feature never materializes in the form many of us expect....I see no reason to stop buying my games from Steam. ...I feel gutted right now.

malfcn

Swell release.

Just had a system lock up. Report app doesn't work. Restarted console with controller and it booted back into this locked state.

Time to actually get up and used reset.

iavi

I didn't realize this update would be the advent of Emu's on the Xbox...

And an S just got bought

If MS is smart, they'll well and leave that alone

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wow. I'm done with Groove. Absolutely the opposite of drag-and-drop. Syncing issues, multiple logins, etc, etc. I never asked for this app.

I think there's going to be a lot of anger on the internet if Microsoft took away basic functionality - USB or server music playback on Xbox - in order to force people to funnel their music through OneDrive.

"Background Music" is an ubiquitous term. But for me, it means playing my music from my devices without restraints. If Microsoft views this differently - if this long-requested feature never materializes in the form many of us expect....I see no reason to stop buying my games from Steam. ...I feel gutted right now.
What happened with Groove? For me it was very simple, I just put my music in a folder called Music in the OneDrive root. Then I opened Groove on Xbox and clicked Collection, and it synced it. You just have to make sure you're using the same Microsoft account on both the PC and Xbox. OneDrive is just their "cloud folder". Wherever you sign in with that Microsoft account, the cloud folder will sync with that device.

As for your second point, you will be able to just put your music on a USB stick and plug it into the Xbox and play music in the background using the Media Player app instead of Groove.

Defect

How do I get background music to work? I have a song in OneDrive and it's playing fine but when I play a game, it stops playing.

malfcn

Store is trash. Keeps crashing to dashboard. Slow, unresponsive, not easy to navigate.

What size should Hulu be? My manage says 57.2mb and store days 29.8mb. Deleted and installed, now fixed. Maybe it was installed twice? Also during install the updating tile didn't show. Lots of little things still need tweaking.

Report app acts weird from time to time.
While typing report, the screen shot was my typing instead of the problem like it ordinarily should show.

I think I had to report 5-6 things tonight.

Wow the custom soundtrack sucks. I can't believe I waited for this crap. I would have rather they've done it on an OS level instead of this app bullshit. Also it doesn't look like you can stream unless you have Windows 10 installed.

Forsythia

So now the OS supports background music but MS hasn't even updated their own apps (Groove, Media Player) to support it. Pfft. I know I can wait a bit longer but now they're just teasing us.

Lima

So this update still isn't out yet? Is there a date when it does come out?

August 2nd is pretty much confirmed now.

Regarding the background music. It doesn't mute the soundtrack of the game like it did on 360, hold that fat L for me Microsoft. Can't believe I took them so long and then they do it worse than on 360.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't want to defend microsoft, but how did that soundtrack stuff work on the Xbox 360. How did it know that it should mute the ingame soundtrack and only play your own music? What are we even talking here about with "soundtrack"? If I think of Metal Gear Rising, the soundtrack is the music that plays during battles, excluding ingame soundeffects. The only way to do something like this is, if a game has a separate "music" option in the sound settings. This way the console can mute all music within a game while playing other music, theoratically setting "music" to 0. Most games I can think of don't even have special sound settings. Mad Max gives you a lot of options regarding your sound setup, but other games don't even ask if you play on your TV, 5.1 or 7.1 setup. So how should the console know that it should mute only the music on current gen.

Caayn

I don't want to defend microsoft, but how did that soundtrack stuff work on the Xbox 360. How did it know that it should mute the ingame soundtrack and only play your own music? What are we even talking here about with "soundtrack"? If I think of Metal Gear Rising, the soundtrack is the music that plays during battles, excluding ingame soundeffects. The only way to do something like this is, if a game has a separate "music" option in the sound settings. This way the console can mute all music within a game while playing other music, theoratically setting "music" to 0. Most games I can think of don't even have special sound settings. Mad Max gives you a lot of options regarding your sound setup, but other games don't even ask if you play on your TV, 5.1 or 7.1 setup. So how should the console know that it should mute only the music on current gen.
On the 360 it was a requirement to disable the ingame music when music played by the user was detected. This is something that MS can force for future games but can't enforce for older games. Not everything that a game does underwater is reflected in the user interface (ie audio settings for example).

On the 360 it was a requirement to disable the ingame music when music played by the user was detected. This is something that MS can force for future games but can't enforce for older games. Not everything that a game does underwater is reflected in the user interface (ie audio settings for example).

Why can't they? It was done on an OS level not a game by game basis. It is something MS can implement themselves

On the 360 it was a requirement to disable the ingame music when music played by the user was detected. This is something that MS can force for future games but can't enforce for older games.

Quoting this to help make sure people see.

On 360 the background music feature was part of the SDK - devs were required to utilize that functionality, hence the ubiquity of it. Some devs (like Bungie) took the implementation a step further and did stuff like muting dialog as well.

On Xbox One this was, for whatever reason, not a requirement. So a bizarre decision back in well before Xbox One released is why older games will require patches. Because of that, Microsoft was never going to be able to make this a ubiquitous feature like on Xbox 360, no matter how long it took or how much effort they put in.

Caayn

Why can't they? It was done on an OS level not a game by game basis. It is something MS can implement themselves
True, technically they can forcibly disable the ingame music when user music is playing. But this can break games (audio effects, dialog, etc. not playing).

The OS can't just do it on its own, at least, not without issue.

Basically, on 360 if you enabled custom audio the OS would tell the game "hey, custom audio is playing" and then the game would have to see that message and respond by muting the proper audio track (and some games would mute additional tracks, display messages, and likely [though I'm not aware of specific cases] re-mix the audio levels of other tracks). This functionality was built into the SDK (like Achievements, and later on stuff like Avatar Awards) so it was easy to implement, but it still had to be implemented by the developer. The OS has no way to just jump into the game and start muting audio properly without cooperation from the game itself, that would just be a recipe for disaster if any developers implemented their audio tracks in any sort of remotely novel way (and likely even in many standard solutions as well).

The only way they could retroactively apply this on Xbox One without weird issues cropping up would be to mute the game entirely.

Zombine

Banned
Cortana is super slow and unresponsive. Having to say "Hey Cortana" before I want to do anything at all with voice commands is super unnecessary. I enjoyed the more direct and cold commands that we had before.

Cortana is super slow and unresponsive. Having to say "Hey Cortana" before I want to do anything at all with voice commands is super unnecessary. I enjoyed the more direct and cold commands that we had before.

You can just say the whole command instead of waiting for her to visual show up on your screen,( i say "hey cortan (command here)".... not "Hey Cortana.......listening....(command). In fact cortana works better imo when you dont wait for her to say listening, when you wait for that queue half the time its too late, when i just say it all at once she almost always gets it right, sometimes slow and sometimes fast. Its been working fine for me the last week for things like writing and sending messages, starting and inviting people to parties, opening games/apps...i even asked her how long it takes to beat tomb raider definitive edition and she brought up howlongtobeat.com with all the info i was lookin for.

Having weird issues where my external ssd keeps disconnecting and kicking me out of games. Pretty annoying...

That sounds pretty annoying as shit indeed. I had it yesterday that I booted my Xbox One up from Instant On and I wasn't able to start my games. Turns out it had not recognized the external HDD at all and I had to plug it out and in again for it to work.

jesu

Never forget the popup begging to disable custom music to experience Marty's soundtrack.

Never forget.

Playing through the MCC just now I'll never forget the voices too low in comparison to the music and sound effects and only subtitles during cutscenes.
Cheers Bungie.

Netflix doesn't work anymore now? I tried to open it and it said "getting your app ready" which is odd. So I assume this is the UWP one? I can't use it now. I get an error after it loads a while.

josh924

Banned
August 2nd is pretty much confirmed now.

It's my understanding that it's been rolling out to the public since yesterday or the day before. In fact, Major Nelson even made a post about it, which I would link to from my XB1 or tablet if I knew how.

I.had.to power cycle the Xbox to get mine to work.

"Netflix has encountered an error." then after a few seconds it says "retrying connection now..." and then I get the error again. Error code : NW-2-5.

I am in Preview but I don't know if that's causing it. Worked fine yesterday and there have been no updates since then. I already performed a hard reset/reboot. What is this shit?

It seems crazy to me that the OneGuide still can't remind you of upcoming shows. Maybe I'm the only one that still uses their Xbox to watch TV.

Background music isnt even supported on any apps yet. Spent an hour downloading music to play with my games to find out Groove doesnt work. Youtube should definitely be an option down the road.

Top Bottom