• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to receive Twitter Integration

Bsigg12

I think this would be pretty cool if you could follow certain hash tags and, say, you're watching E3 or a certain game stream, get constant Twitter updates while watching.

I wish it was out today for the start of the Stanley Cup finals. The salt sports fans pump out on Twitter is amazing.

level44

I think everyone is just going to continue tweeting the same way they've been doing for a while. On their phone/tablet whilst watching TV.

Agreed. This is a fun novelty but I can see people using it once or twice then never again.

Bgamer90

Banned
Agreed. This is a fun novelty but I can see people using it once or twice then never again.

Getting out your tablet/phone to say you are watching a show is easier than simply hitting an on screen twitter icon?

I'm pretty sure a decent number will use this, especially if it's integrated into game screenshots too.

Ominym

Banned
If I can snap my twitter feed and it auto scrolls that would be awesome!

This is what I want. And it would actually be very beneficial. I would always tweet from my phone, as it's much faster; but having the ability to read at a glance would be superb.

nynt9

Getting out your tablet/phone to say you are watching a show is easier than simply hitting an on screen twitter icon?

I'm pretty sure a decent number will use this, especially if it's integrated into game screenshots too.

Tablet/phone has a full keyboard, I'd rather type with that than with a gamepad. And can also do other things simultaneously with phone.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Things like FXNOW and Comedy Central just require you to enter the information you have on file with your cable provider. There aren't any seperate costs besides that, but yes, of course you need a subscription to cable to watch cable channels.

Yup, don't have cable TV. I can't stand the high price for cable TV when I barely watch any of the channels, hopefully one day they do a'la carte for cable.

Bgamer90

Banned
Tablet/phone has a full keyboard, I'd rather type with that than with a gamepad. And can also do other things simultaneously with phone.

Apparently you'll be able to tell others what you are watching just by hitting the twitter icon (automated message). No need to type with gamepad.

This is the first Twitter implementation on a TV / TV-device that seems actually thought out for the device. I was expecting just like the 360 Twitter app, which was such a joke.

Things I want:
- When game clips are posted, send an auto-tweet (be able to turn this off too)
- When screenshots are taken, send an auto-tweet w/ the screen shot (needs native screen shot)

Woffls

H..h...horizontal? I just assumed it would be vertical. Seems weird, but I guess wider ratios work better for games. Still, I would like the choice... especially if I'm watching something in 4:3.

This is pretty cool, but knowing myself, To tweet, I'm picking up my phone to do it. Still, this is very neat for people watching TV through their Xbox.

Prologue

I wish ps4 had xbox one os and interface. Ps4 has superior versions of 3rd party games in terms of graphics/reso/frame rate but I'm really starting to dig X1 interface.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The news site actually has the full list of 40 odd apps coming.

As usual, Australia is barely getting any of them. Ugh.

I wish ps4 had xbox one os and interface. Ps4 has superior versions of 3rd party games in terms of graphics/reso/frame rate but I'm really starting to dig X1 interface.

I disagree, I prefer the simplicity of Sonys device, also wish there was a option to disable this stuff, everyone doesnt use twitter, dont want to see bird icon everywhere.

Rembrandt

Banned
I disagree, I prefer the simplicity of Sonys device, also wish there was a option to disable this stuff, everyone doesnt use twitter, dont want to see bird icon everywhere.

I'm almost positive you'll have to download the app to enable this stuff, so...

RedAssedApe

Banned
This looks cool but you all will regret using it when all the people watching on the east coast start spoiling shows for you with the stupid hashtag tweets. Lol

I look at it like this.

Microsoft has years of software eexperience and lots of pressure from guys like Google and Apple, so having an ecosystem like this to follow through into the Xbox is a huge advantage. Apple has no equivalent to Xbox and neither does Google. However since the Xbox is Microsoft true champion of devices, there is a huge reputation to lose if the Xbox OS wasn't up to par.

On the other hand, Sony is still figuring itself out and doesn't have the amount of pressuring competition outside of gaming to have an immense OS. So having a simple OS can do the job. That is until they figured out what it is they need to do. Simple works, but it just needs more work. So despite the weakness, there is some strength to be had just by being simple. It works for Apple...

To people who tweet and/ or read tweets in any serious way? Yes. Those devices are already out.

This addition is so niche it sounds like they simply want bullet points. This is a feature most gamers will say COOL but use once or twice and forget.

Please microsoft dont let this OS become a slow bloated monster over time. Be wise in using resources.

Holy shit watching the game/boxing match while twitter snapped is going to be crazy hilarious.

also Vine oh man can't wait to see all them twerk videos in HD!!

Rembrandt

Banned
To people who tweet and/ or read tweets in any serious way? Yes. Those devices are already out.

This addition is so niche it sounds like they simply want bullet points. This is a feature most gamers will say COOL but use once or twice and forget.

Please microsoft dont let this OS become a slow bloated monster over time. Be wise in using resources.

Having tweets coming up live while watching tv is a lot easier for me to read than switching to my phone to read them. Tweeting, itself, is another story, but it's definitely a cool addition. The Vine app has tons of potential, too. I'm curious to see if they'll let us use Kinect with it.

Having tweets coming up live while watching tv is a lot easier for me to read than switching to my phone.

Depends on how its displayed. They have to display it so it can be easily read from the coach at varying distances on all manner of tv types and sizes.

Will this take up a lot of screen? Is the time money and resources used on this worth the payoff to their audience?

I mean they've already decided. Its a nice bullet point and nothing more to me but considering the rate of updates recently I wont hold it against them unless they bloat the OS over time.

Top Bottom