• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk looking into Twitter API mess with PlayStation & Xbox

Ronin_7

So apparently there's still hope we won't lose the Integration as Elon confirms via tweet that he'll look into the situation, probably directly with SIE and Microsoft.

I've my doubts on the Xbox part since he threatened Microsoft on going to court over AI training or something like that.

After losing over half of the value of a company in less than a year you'd think he'd be wanting to increase engagement not drive away more avenues of use with insane API bullshit.

Zheph

857iwl.jpg

NickFire

Just don't see much incentive for platform holder to spend much on twitter integration. It's not a system selling feature. Individual games can probably benefit from the word of mouth type advertising when people post game vids / screenshots. But how much is the question. And if MS doesn't think its worth it for GP growth, my guess is the benefits are nil. I just can't see MS playing chicken or saying no if their numbers people thought it would be profitable.

NickFire

It’s Elon, the “freedom” activist (as long as freedom is only for him, lol). It’s always everyone else’s fault basically.
His tweet doesn't seem to blame anyone for anything. They took a shot at generating revenue, MS and Sony said no thanks, and he said he'd look into the situation. Maybe he will come back all fire and brimstone and blame MS and Sony. But seems like he's planning to reverse the bad decision or why bother looking into it?

StereoVsn

His tweet doesn't seem to blame anyone for anything. They took a shot at generating revenue, MS and Sony said no thanks, and he said he'd look into the situation. Maybe he will come back all fire and brimstone and blame MS and Sony. But seems like he's planning to reverse the bad decision or why bother looking into it?
1. Musk is a clown.
2. So far he hasn’t done it for any other vendor.

It’s Elon, the “freedom” activist (as long as freedom is only for him, lol). It’s always everyone else’s fault basically.
Id rather him own it than whoever was there after dorsey. They were actively removing tweets and banning people at the behest of the fbi and doj. Hell the gov wanted to make a truth and saftey council and got so much backlash they did this instead. The last twitter ceo and "social inclusion czar" (or whatever newspeak term they used) was going full on as it gave them reason to censor. This came out as the Fbi files report.

I'd rather have freedom elon who isn't perfect over censorious state-and private company coercion that we had prior. He will get it taken care of.

killatopak

ah, he's doing the Phil approach. Pretend not to know about it, say you'll look into it, fix it and look like a hero.
Does he really know? Last I heard, he wasn’t even in charge of X/Twitter anymore. Yes, he owns it but another person is the CEO?

Last edited:
Id rather him own it than whoever was there after dorsey. They were actively removing tweets and banning people at the behest of the fbi and doj. Hell the gov wanted to make a truth and saftey council and got so much backlash they did this instead. The last twitter ceo and "social inclusion czar" (or whatever newspeak term they used) was going full on as it gave them reason to censor. This came out as the Fbi files report.

I'd rather have freedom elon who isn't perfect over censorious state-and private company coercion that we had prior. He will get it taken care of.
What? You are aware that Elon Musk usually bans anyone on twitter that is critical of him?

Does he really know? Last I heard, he wasn’t even in charge of X/Twitter anymore. Yes, he owns it but another person is the CEO?
I'm sure he's aware of how the API pricing was going to affect various companies. He probably just has a change of heart about axing the whole gaming community from it.

Kdad

He put a puppet CEO in place because it helps sheild some of his antics. She is running fuck all...oh, maybe interference and thats about it.

After losing over half of the value of a company in less than a year you'd think he'd be wanting to increase engagement not drive away more avenues of use with insane API bullshit.

The issue always was that Twitter has always been really bad at actually making money. Hence why he thought he could come in and turn things around.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I like Elon but I have no idea what he’s trying to do with twitter. It was objectively better 5 years ago.

Kdad

The issue always was that Twitter has always been really bad at actually making money. Hence why he thought he could come in and turn things around.
You honestly thing Elon's motivation for buying twitter was that he saw it as a money making venture with his touch applied?

Like...that isn't reality at all. He stated in a TED interview that his goal was not to increase his wealth. He certainly is succeeding so far.

You honestly thing Elon's motivation for buying twitter was that he saw it as a money making venture with his touch applied?

Like...that isn't reality at all. He stated in a TED interview that his goal was not to increase his wealth. He certainly is succeeding so far.
I'm not saying I thought he should buy it, im just explaining why it was ripe for him buying it and trying to "turn it around". 🤷‍♂️

tmlDan

I like Elon but I have no idea what he’s trying to do with twitter. It was objectively better 5 years ago.
5 years ago you wouldn't have both sides of the debate discuss and argue on the platform, it would be one dimensional.

It is objectively better for someone who uses it casually.

The people are crazy, not the platform. Before they were censored, now they're visible for you.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You'd think they would provide simplified API access fo these kinds of devices, the consoles in particular only need to be able to publish content. Put the pull requests and data collection APIs behind paywall, the analytics companies using those APIs probably don't have a problem paying.

Dutchy

The people are crazy, not the platform. Before they were censored, now they're visible for you.
How is this better for the casual user though? I gradually lost interest and stopped using it when Musk took over. I followed nothing but gaming-related stuff but every time I signed in I was greeted with video's of beheadings, people screaming politics, and conspiracy theorists running rampant. Not to mention I keep seeing posts from people who I do not want to see even if I blocked them. Being able to buy the checkmark made all of the 'official' pages lose credibility as well. Oh and then there's the OF girls posting nsfw pictures/video's in the replies of every popular tweet which was never ever an issue to me before.

Twitter feels more like a moral free discussion zone for people who's sole purpose is to pump their daily dose of toxicity into the wide open world. Nothing casual about it.

Kdad

I'm not saying I thought he should buy it, im just explaining why it was ripe for him buying it and trying to "turn it around". 🤷‍♂️
Except him trying to make a profit wasn't at all his motivation. If it was dude would have approached it rationally and with 15 billion in hand...not fucking meme joked his ass to a 40+ billion dollar boondoggle.

Kdad

5 years ago you wouldn't have both sides of the debate discuss and argue on the platform, it would be one dimensional.

Ohhh...both sides.
What a farce.

CapMaster

Neo Member
Were you there in the past 10 years? It was REEEE on steroids.
You mean the only period in time in which Twitter was profitable? The period of time right before Elon bought it and the value cratered?

"It was worse when people actually used the site, it had advertisers and was making a profit!!" Is quite a deluded position to take.

So the platform is "good now" because there are less people there making fun of you, and your childish ideology, not because it can stay afloat financially?

Wild times.

tmlDan

How is this better for the casual user though? I gradually lost interest and stopped using it when Musk took over. I followed nothing but gaming-related stuff but every time I signed in I was greeted with video's of beheadings, people screaming politics, and conspiracy theorists running rampant. Not to mention I keep seeing posts from people who I do not want to see even if I blocked them. Being able to buy the checkmark made all of the 'official' pages lose credibility as well. Oh and then there's the OF girls posting nsfw pictures/video's in the replies of every popular tweet which was never ever an issue to me before.

Twitter feels more like a moral free discussion zone for people who's sole purpose is to pump their daily dose of toxicity into the wide open world. Nothing casual about it.
You use the "Following" tab and follow people of interest. I use it for sports and gaming and thats all i see :)

Ohhh...both sides.
What a farce.
thanks for providing nothing of value to the conversation

Last edited:

yurinka

So apparently there's still hope we won't lose the Integration as Elon confirms via tweet that he'll look into the situation, probably directly with SIE and Microsoft.

I've my doubts on the Xbox part since he threatened Microsoft on going to court over AI training or something like that.

Nice to see he'll look into it. Let's hope he removes the stupid pricing, at least for consoles.

Top Bottom