• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk looking into Twitter API mess with PlayStation & Xbox

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
What? You are aware that Elon Musk usually bans anyone on twitter that is critical of him?
Ehh those are hardly simple cases (banning reporters who tracked his actual current location via jet tracking, etc -- actually pretty much all of it is defensible banning). And the old Twitter had begun banning for simply referencing reality, like calling a man in drag a man, so there's really no universe in which the new regime is somehow worse than that.

Unknown?

You mean the only period in time in which Twitter was profitable? The period of time right before Elon bought it and the value cratered?

"It was worse when people actually used the site, it had advertisers and was making a profit!!" Is quite a deluded position to take.

So the platform is "good now" because there are less people there making fun of you, and your childish ideology, not because it can stay afloat financially?

Wild times.
What a stupid post that puts words into my mouth. No where did I say it was good now. Oh and profit means a good platform apparently.

Last edited:
What? You are aware that Elon Musk usually bans anyone on twitter that is critical of him?
This just isn't at all true. There are plenty of people who are critical of Musk on Twitter who are not banned. But even if it were true, Twitter is still better for speech now than it was before.

Before Musk, Twitter allowed the US government to influence the censorship of legally protected speech, largely due to threats made by the government to regulate social media companies that didn't comply with their demands. After Musk, that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

Musk had done some stupid and hypocritical things, though, I will agree with that.

Unknown?

How is this better for the casual user though? I gradually lost interest and stopped using it when Musk took over. I followed nothing but gaming-related stuff but every time I signed in I was greeted with video's of beheadings, people screaming politics, and conspiracy theorists running rampant. Not to mention I keep seeing posts from people who I do not want to see even if I blocked them. Being able to buy the checkmark made all of the 'official' pages lose credibility as well. Oh and then there's the OF girls posting nsfw pictures/video's in the replies of every popular tweet which was never ever an issue to me before.

Twitter feels more like a moral free discussion zone for people who's sole purpose is to pump their daily dose of toxicity into the wide open world. Nothing casual about it.
Those official pages had no credibility anyway and used their power to spread misinformation.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Those official pages had no credibility anyway and used their power to spread misinformation.
Plus, Community Notes is genuinely useful, probably the most useful disinformation killer on any social media platform.

I even see ads constantly hit with community notes when their content is misleading (possibly a revenue killer, but good for the consumer). It's a very well functioning feature so far.

Dutchy

You use the "Following" tab and follow people of interest. I use it for sports and gaming and thats all i see :)
That's weird. I'm following only game-devs, movie directors and some Halo players and this is what I see after signing in for the first time in months.

wj9R8gB.png

Sadly I could post way better examples but they're full of slurs :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not sure what kind of pages you're referring to but for me it was a good way of finding the official source for someone like a non-mainstream artist. Surely giving anyone a 'meaningless' for a small fee creates more problems than it does good. Why not tighten up the security around the verification process?

Last edited:

consoul

Forget Elon for a moment.
Fuck Sony for doing this.

Sony just started charging all of us more for their online service and now they're taking a convenient sharing feature away. They hiked the price of PS+ 30% and now they're gonna pretend they can't afford a service API that promotes their platform.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
That's weird. I'm following only game-devs, movie directors and some Halo players and this is what I see after signing in for the first time in months.
There's a toggle at the very top between "Following" (your actual feed) versus "For You" (recommendations based on viral crap). Switch to "Following" and never, ever use the For You.

That's all it takes to have the classic Twitter experience, but with dramatically less censorship than before.

norm9

It's over for X. I was out as soon as you couldn't read people dunking on a bad tweet without logging in.

radewagon

The desire for this place to see a free speech effort fail is concerning to say the least.
The problem with free speech is that people sometimes forget that free speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want without consequence. It just means that the government can't silence public speech. It doesn't mean that private businesses and organizations can't and/or shouldn't. To be clear, it is very much in the interests of a nation for the government to take a mostly hands off approach to speech (unless it calls for violence; and there are limits placed on specific types of speech because of this). Conversely, it is very much in the interests of private companies to regulate speech that is undesirable for their continued operations.

It's bad for business to allow people to use your platform to spread hate and/or gross misinformation because those messages can get the platform into legal hot water (if the speech promotes violence) or they can drive away more customers than the freedom being provided brings in. When platforms "censor" speech, what they are actually doing is moderating the content they host in an effort to ensure that they provide content that follows accepted social norms. There is nothing wrong with this. It's the internet equivalent of an owner throwing a disruptive customer out of their bar for acting like a jerk. It's a societal check and balance. The government generally allows you to say what you want, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone else is also free to tell you to shut the hell up and go away.

So, it's not so much that people want a "free speech effort" to fail. It's just that many people are tired of insufferable idiots being provided a platform when in a pre-social-media-world, they would have been rightfully laughed out of town.

elco

The problem with free speech is that people sometimes forget that free speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want without consequence. It just means that the government can't silence public speech. It doesn't mean that private businesses and organizations can't and/or shouldn't. To be clear, it is very much in the interests of a nation for the government to take a mostly hands off approach to speech (unless it calls for violence; and there are limits placed on specific types of speech because of this). Conversely, it is very much in the interests of private companies to regulate speech that is undesirable for their continued operations.

It's bad for business to allow people to use your platform to spread hate and/or gross misinformation because those messages can get the platform into legal hot water (if the speech promotes violence) or they can drive away more customers than the freedom being provided brings in. When platforms "censor" speech, what they are actually doing is moderating the content they host in an effort to ensure that they provide content that follows accepted social norms. There is nothing wrong with this. It's the internet equivalent of an owner throwing a disruptive customer out of their bar for acting like a jerk. It's a societal check and balance. The government generally allows you to say what you want, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone else is also free to tell you to shut the hell up and go away.

So, it's not so much that people want a "free speech effort" to fail. It's just that many people are tired of insufferable idiots being provided a platform when in a pre-social-media-world, they would have been rightfully laughed out of town.

Nah, those excuses went out the window when Elon purchased the receipts. Twitter (and essentially all platforms) moderation was being informed via our government (CISA, EIP, etc.)

radewagon

Nah, those excuses went out the window when Elon purchased the receipts. Twitter (and essentially all platforms) moderation was being informed via our government (CISA, EIP, etc.)
I think you missed the entirety of my point. It's cool, though.

Kdad

You use the "Following" tab and follow people of interest. I use it for sports and gaming and thats all i see :)

thanks for providing nothing of value to the conversation
I guess we measure value differently. <Spiderman.gif>

Kdad

The one where he's refusing to censor on behalf of the federal government.
Oh, so not free speech at all. Got ya.
Also, it's a private company now, you have zero idea who Elon is censoring and for which government...hopes and dreams are fine but Xitter isn't free of censorship by a long shot.

elco

Oh, so not free speech at all. Got ya.
Also, it's a private company now, you have zero idea who Elon is censoring and for which government...hopes and dreams are fine but Xitter isn't free of censorship by a long shot.

He's open sourced a ton of the code base, has stated they are working on further improving transparency around what censorship remains, refused to censor on behalf of the government.
Personally I'm not satisfied until it's absolute free speech, zero censorship. But name a big platform whose done more. His efforts are being condemned by partisans, obviously.

Kdad

He's open sourced a ton of the code base, has stated they are working on further improving transparency around what censorship remains, refused to censor on behalf of the government.
Personally I'm not satisfied until it's absolute free speech, zero censorship. But name a big platform whose done more. His efforts are being condemned by partisans, obviously.
Again, it's a private company, you'll never know.

Ah yes, partisans. Those pesky other siders, why can't the just be quiet and stop with their free type speech.

No one asked for a free for all platform except bad actors.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

wj9R8gB.png

Sadly I could post way better examples but they're full of slurs :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not sure what kind of pages you're referring to but for me it was a good way of finding the official source for someone like a non-mainstream artist. Surely giving anyone a 'meaningless' for a small fee creates more problems than it does good. Why not tighten up the security around the verification process?
I have an account I made exclusively for VR and I only follow VR devs (and only a couple non VR stuff that are also gaming related like libretro and such) and only retweet about their games and I spend like half an hour a day x-ing out crap and then "this topic isn't relevant" or "show me less from this user" or whatever but I keep getting bigoted trump/musk-esque stuff everywhere, musk himself I must have clicked show me less from this user like 500 times by now but he keeps popping up too, just him or random people that have nothing to do with what I follow engaging with his content.
ResurrectedContrarian said:
I don't understand why anyone would do this when that's the whole nature of the "for you" tab that shows these things... it's basically tiktok-level viral recommendation nonsense. Why would you bother clicking "see less of this" etc instead of just going to your home base, the Following tab, and forget all that noise?

The main experience of X/Twitter is to view your followed timeline which is 100% the people you intentionally choose to see, the classic social media timeline experience, with zero interjection of recommendations from algorithms of any kind.
That's like, your deal. I do want it to show me actually relevant stuff like it used to and still does among the rest of the spam, that's how I find more of it, duh, I'm not building an echo chamber. And that's always been the main tab hence having to click extra times to go to view just the followers.

Last edited:

Three

Before Musk, Twitter allowed the US government to influence the censorship of legally protected speech, largely due to threats made by the government to regulate social media companies that didn't comply with their demands. After Musk, that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.
Considering the the person with the highest power in US government got banned at one point before Musk took over I would say that's simply not true at all.

Zathalus

Refusing to censor on behalf of the government? Tell that to Turkey.

Dutchy

I have an account I made exclusively for VR and I only follow VR devs (and only a couple non VR stuff that are also gaming related like libretro and such) and only retweet about their games and I spend like half an hour a day x-ing out crap and then "this topic isn't relevant" or "show me less from this user" or whatever but I keep getting bigoted trump/musk-esque stuff everywhere, musk himself I must have clicked show me less from this user like 500 times by now but he keeps popping up too, just him or random people that have nothing to do with what I follow engaging with his content.
100% the same thing here. It's absolutely insane. I'm even getting "promoted posts" from people who I have blocked. Like .... why?

Last edited:

Unknown?

Considering the the person with the highest power in US government got banned at one point before Musk took over I would say that's simply not true at all.
You'll need to reconsider who has the most power in the US. It's not the president. I'd say it could be those in the security state like CIA but definitely the chairman of the Federal Reserve has more power.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Makes you wonder how those decisions relative to price increase for consoles are made if Elon didn’t know about it.

Id rather him own it than whoever was there after dorsey. They were actively removing tweets and banning people at the behest of the fbi and doj. Hell the gov wanted to make a truth and saftey council and got so much backlash they did this instead. The last twitter ceo and "social inclusion czar" (or whatever newspeak term they used) was going full on as it gave them reason to censor. This came out as the Fbi files report.

I'd rather have freedom elon who isn't perfect over censorious state-and private company coercion that we had prior. He will get it taken care of.
My friend. I was in a similar place as you about 20 years ago. Reading conspiracy websites and such. I managed to get out of that place. So can you.

StereoVsn

100% the same thing here. It's absolutely insane. I'm even getting "promoted posts" from people who I have blocked. Like .... why?
Because Musk. That’s about it. He wants you to engage with the paid users and free speech of course (only free for himself and those whose views he likes).

X turned into complete shitshow. I used to browse it for news, follow a few folks in science/ tech and Warrior (lol). Now it’s absolutely pointless.

Sushi_Combo

Because Musk. That’s about it. He wants you to engage with the paid users and free speech of course (only free for himself and those whose views he likes).

X turned into complete shitshow. I used to browse it for news, follow a few folks in science/ tech and Warrior (lol). Now it’s absolutely pointless.
Maybe we will see a forum renaissance given at how many companies have removed themselves from there.

Zathalus

I was clearly talking about the US, where doing so is illegal. What's the law in Turkey again?
It's not illegal for a private corporation to limit free speech in the USA. Nor is it illegal for the government to request that certain social media posts be taken down. A social media platform has no obligation to listen to the government however, hence Musk is facing no legal backlash in the USA.

StereoVsn

Maybe we will see a forum renaissance given at how many companies have removed themselves from there.
Wouldn’t that be nice? Discord is cool and all but way too chaotic if you want forum structure.

But realistically I think that we will see more growth for competitors including Threads while X keeps shedding users and advertisers.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I spend like half an hour a day x-ing out crap and then "this topic isn't relevant" or "show me less from this user" or whatever
I don't understand why anyone would do this when that's the whole nature of the "for you" tab that shows these things... it's basically tiktok-level viral recommendation nonsense. Why would you bother clicking "see less of this" etc instead of just going to your home base, the Following tab, and forget all that noise?

The main experience of X/Twitter is to view your followed timeline which is 100% the people you intentionally choose to see, the classic social media timeline experience, with zero interjection of recommendations from algorithms of any kind.

elco

It's not illegal for a private corporation to limit free speech in the USA. Nor is it illegal for the government to request that certain social media posts be taken down. A social media platform has no obligation to listen to the government however, hence Musk is facing no legal backlash in the USA.
It is illegal for government to compel a private company to censor (ie. remove posts) in the US. This is why the government has resorted to targeting Musk via the SEC, etc.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It is illegal for government to compel a private company to censor (ie. remove posts) in the US. This is why the government has resorted to targeting Musk via the SEC, etc.
The issue with the SEC has got nothing to do with posts being taken down. It's got to do with his erratic behaviour regarding the twitter buyout and his violation of several SEC policies. His refusal to testify is not helping his case either.

elco

The issue with the SEC has got nothing to do with posts being taken down. It's got to do with his erratic behaviour regarding the twitter buyout and his violation of several SEC policies. His refusal to testify is not helping his case either.

Yeah sure, most definitely is absolutely unrelated.

We have sitting Senators openly lobbying the SEC to open investigations on Tesla due to Musk's association with Twitter. I'm not getting any further into this on this forum other than to say, this is exactly what it'd look like for the government to compel Twitter censorship.

Last edited:

DrFigs

he's being targeted by the sec because he keeps saying outrageous things that have actual effects on the stock market. saying he'll take Tesla private, for example, has tangible effects on the stocks people buy, and the fine for doing this should have been bigger.

Unknown?

The important part here is that companies were censoring for the government which is just a work around the 1st amendment.

The thing is though that the more censorship, the less people believe what is put before them. You start getting more crazy conspiracy theories.

Top Bottom