• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
No intent to diminish the perspective or the opinions of the OP.

Couple things worth noting.

First, the game demos on the tour are the same ones we’ve shown at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. So both Forza and Ryse look good, but not the same as final. Both games look better now (as I would expect would be the case for Sony as well), so don’t judge the tour demos too harshly relative to the final games. The Ryse video released today I think demonstrates that for those who have compared the E3 trailers with the newest.

Second, the environment that these games run in is not the same environment used for building the dash. So for those seeing the slow/janky dash UI from the tour, that’s nothing like what the real code looks like. These tour boxes are not getting Beta drops, so the UI isn’t even correct, let alone performing well. So don’t use that as any comparison to the real UI. Again, the video released earlier in the week shows the updated code.

Controller should be close to final. So YMMV on how you like it. I’ve worked on every version of every Xbox controller, and I like this one the best by a mile.

Lastly – Sony’s in exactly the same position, so I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt either. When you have stuff that works, you use it even if it’s not perfect. Right now, everyone is crunching.

Why are you taking so long to come through Denver you jerk :mad:

EvB

No intent to diminish the perspective or the opinions of the OP.

Couple things worth noting.

First, the game demos on the tour are the same ones we’ve shown at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. So both Forza and Ryse look good, but not the same as final. Both games look better now (as I would expect would be the case for Sony as well), so don’t judge the tour demos too harshly relative to the final games. The Ryse video released today I think demonstrates that for those who have compared the E3 trailers with the newest.

Second, the environment that these games run in is not the same environment used for building the dash. So for those seeing the slow/janky dash UI from the tour, that’s nothing like what the real code looks like. These tour boxes are not getting Beta drops, so the UI isn’t even correct, let alone performing well. So don’t use that as any comparison to the real UI. Again, the video released earlier in the week shows the updated code.

Controller should be close to final. So YMMV on how you like it. I’ve worked on every version of every Xbox controller, and I like this one the best by a mile.

Lastly – Sony’s in exactly the same position, so I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt either. When you have stuff that works, you use it even if it’s not perfect. Right now, everyone is crunching.

I like Albert's up front and transparent attitude

Kacho

Gold Member
man its kind of hard to trust people here at the moment because you dont knowif theyre going in hating it or loving it..so the opinion will just be purely bias ...so confusing...wish i could try both of them for myself lol

Haha yeah. Grain of salt with everything until then. Both positive and negative. Can't wait to try it out in DC in a few weeks.

BigDug13

Still, its their bus isn't it? They should have it prepared properly. Youre going to show off games and they cant set up TV colors? Id hire new people.

Showrooms crank up the contrast for a reason, to make those images pop. But for game graphics, it can highlight all the flaws in the image. Not saying that happened here, but you want the screen to be bright enough so everyone can see it from all angles and that desire can be at odds with the desire to soften the explosive brightness/contrast image with proper calibrations.

Ratio of posts saying "dis gun be good" to actual posts that are good: 1000 to 0.

Dude likes the PS4, he played a xbox one. Most of us like things. Most of us haven't played the xbox one. He gave his thoughts. I don't see the controversy. It wasn't expected that he wouldn't like it and he didn't like it.

Dis gun be good, tho!

Going by post history put me in the camp that believes he never attended any event or played any of these games. Considering your disdain for MS and love of Sony on here the past few months I would suggest next time taking a picture of said event you attended.

Wow, that's one way to completely discount everything he said. Kinda sad it has come to this but I guess nobody can be trusted anymore?

I assume at launch you will want everyone to post a pic of them in front of their console holding their username on a piece of paper?

It's fair to disagree with his opinions, but if someone is positive about the Xbox One in their post history, then were positive after getting hands on at the tour, I haven't seen you or anyone else demanding pics to prove it. You cannot really have it both ways......

It's supposed to tell you were unable to have an unbiased and objective reaction to what you experienced based on how strong your preference and desire for the PS4 is.

It's like sending a hardcore Halo fan to play-test a Killzone title and then being surprised when he or she complains it's not as good as Halo.

That is just silly... Not everyone has heart in play... ps2 era i had far more passion for this shit and after i became pc player i had chaance of experiencing averageness of halo and later gears (wich was actually terrible)(I was there at ps3 and x360 pre release consolewars) I prefer ps4 (mildly as nextgen does not exite that much at this age) I can not say my view is not objective. I do some counter "trolling" that is not as honest, but as far as opinions go they are pretty even grounded (apart from my dislike from ms, but it has little to do with their consoles). I have very little fond memories from nintedo or ms games, but it does not make opinion less objective. Actually my no feelings tied stand is ,more objective than games fans. But I have clear preferences when it cames to games and genres so it does not really matter apart from graphical point of view.... This was pretty pointless text.

Edit. PS. There is only few nextgen games i have been impressed with. Generally nextgen looks pretty bad.

netBuff

If that's true, then I apologize. That's not the way I saw it based on the context of the quotes you were responding to.

If you meant in the way you clarified, then I'm sorry for responding harshly.

You really don't need to apologize to me in any way, people misunderstand postings all the time. It's expected, and it's not like I haven't responded in an unfitting way to you in the past - you certainly have my authorization to be harsh as it pertains to my writings ;)

I don't doubt the face recognition feature of the new Kinect to work well, it seems like a pretty cool value-add.

Nevasleep

Here's my shaky cam picture of it in London.
iN1Rn9i.jpg

Hmm... disappointed by the difference between the xbox ones graphics and current gen graphics? Wellthe difference between the xbox one and ps4 is going to be substantially smaller

shandy706

Do you request pics of every impression thread or just the ones that disagree with you?

Sure...why not. I'd be sure to take pics. You want pics of my impressions of Persona 4? How about my impressions of the Vita?

How about pics of my SLI'd i7 rig and the games?

I'd be happy to provide screenshots of any gameplay impression or hardware impression I take part in. Why not have proof I did it.....you know someone may ask. Might as well be prepared.

I'm going to take pics of the PS4 and X1 setups the first day I get to try them...can't wait.

Ristlager

To Albert:
When do we get to see the whole kinect experience on a live demo? The only reason I can think of on why we still have not seen it yet is because it has not been as good as you want it. But since we are so close to release I hope there is a stable enough code for you to show us?

Doffen

Still, its their bus isn't it? They should have it prepared properly. Youre going to show off games and they cant set up TV colors? Id hire new people.

People got different taste in TV calibration, I for one hate how TVs are calibrated in shops and on tradeshows, too gaudy for my taste, yet people seems to dig it.

SLY_

Banned
Were you sneering as you played it?

Lulz.

Was anyone impressed by the 360 or PS3 launch? I mean, they had fun games, sort of, but they weren't graphical powerhouses.

I didn't think the next gen had arrived until Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter came out. That and Oblivion.

VanWinkle

Sure...why not. I'd be sure to take pics. You want pics of my impressions of Persona 4?

How about pics of my SLI'd i7 rig and the games?

I'd be happy to provide screenshots of any gameplay impression or hardware impression I take part in. Why not have proof I did it.....you know someone may ask. Might as well be prepared.

He's asking if you have asked for pics in every impressions thread that didn't have them, or if you only do for ones you disagree with.

TRios Zen

Holy fuck. This isn't third grade. You can like more than one thing. I have a 3DS and a Wii, does that invalidate my opinions on any other systems?

IF you consistently dissed the Vita, in every thread you could, and then wrote something negative about the vita as a review, I'd expect the same kind of backlash the op is getting here. There are consequences to pay for being loquacious with a negative opinion just as there SHOULD be.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Lulz.

Was anyone impressed by the 360 or PS3 launch? I mean, they had fun games, sort of, but they weren't graphical powerhouses.

I didn't think the next gen had arrived until Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter came out. That and Oblivion.

Kameo and Resistance were badass.

For such a non-inflammatory OP I'm surprised so many people caught feeling because his impressions weren't positive. Weird hearing negative opinions about the triggers of the XB1 controller when they got that right last time.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Good, perhaps, but the vast majority of people I've heard from think it's a downgrade from the 360's (which is my favorite controller ever). They should have just left it as it was.

Once again, I think you need to read/hear more impressions. Only real negative that seems to keep coming up is the bumpers and even that is 50/50.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm waiting in line at the Future Shop in downtown Montreal. They don't have Ethernet cables so they can't activate the kits with Microsoft LOL.

hoos30

It's a damn shame we have to be so cynical about our hobby.

I wonder if bird watchers fight to the death over their activities?

"That wasn't a swallow, that was a red-wing blackbird, you fucking troll!"

netBuff

For such a non-inflammatory OP I'm surprised so many people caught feeling because his impressions weren't positive. Weird hearing negative opinions about the triggers of the XB1 controller when they got that right last time.

The triggers are rather unproblematic, it's more the shape and button-feeling of the bumpers that was of concern to me.

Can't wait to read OP's glowing appraisal of his hands on time with PS4.

We'll see, my hope rides on me getting a better impression from the PS4. It certainly seems like a much more solid system on paper so far.

Holy fuck. This isn't third grade. You can like more than one thing. I have a 3DS and a Wii, does that invalidate my opinions on any other systems?

No it doesn't, but you have to understand that right now its hard to see a balanced truth when so much hate has gone on and still goes on. I cant tell whats preferences and whats biased right now on this forum.

This is a constant sore point.

I understand how difficult it could be to make sure everything is working properly when a lot of people everywhere do this for long hours and day after day. I can also imagine that its hard to get motivated every once in a while but god damn, its also their job. And setting a TV isn't exactly complex.

Into

Ratio of posts saying "dis gun be good" to actual posts that are good: 1000 to 0.

Its like the "Nintendo is doooooooooomed!" is actually only said by fans and nobody is even saying it.

I really dislike this hostile "oh here we go, lets fight!" thing, the forum and posters should be above that.

Appreciate that you posted your thoughts on the system and the games, regardless if its fake or heavily bias one way or another. It does not matter because i and all the rest of us will form our opinions soon enough.

iJudged

Banned
So you're saying zero, I mean nothing positive? How am i suppose to take you seriously? It is impossible!
typical

Going by post history put me in the camp that believes he never attended any event or played any of these games. Considering your disdain for MS and love of Sony on here the past few months I would suggest next time taking a picture of said event you attended.

I wish people were even half as skeptical when it comes to positive impressions/new/pr/interview/previews as when it comes to judging criticism...

Ewww MS is using the desert track for the demo instead of Prague? What a horrible choice.
The 'desert track' is laguna seca...
I think a lot of actual racing game fans would appreciate testing a racing game on a real track they know from other games (to compare physics, accuracy of the track etc) rather than some fantasy track.
It's a really popular track in racing games.

If you call it 'that desert track' you probably aren't the target audience of forza to begin with.

OT: this school playground attitude of 'op is lying and didn't even play it' is really pathetic.

Wizman23

Banned
Wow, that's one way to completely discount everything he said. Kinda sad it has come to this but I guess nobody can be trusted anymore?

I assume at launch you will want everyone to post a pic of them in front of their console holding their username on a piece of paper?

It's fair to disagree with his opinions, but if someone is positive about the Xbox One in their post history, then were positive after getting hands on at the tour, I haven't seen you or anyone else demanding pics to prove it. You cannot really have it both ways......

Not at all, but I think post history and general attitude on here lately brings his motives into question. Like someone mentioned earlier it would be like sending a Halo fanatic to a Killzone demo and them coming on here trashing the game. He knew he was going to get questioned and in 2013 it doesn't take much to snap a quick pic.

Seems a bit transparent alright, in that he only shows up in threads where damage control is required.

Whatever works tho I suppose.

Except when I also show-up in threads where people say nice things.

... or just generally have questions
... or are basically discussing any XBO topic I think I can help with.

Would you like me to start posting in PS4 and WiiU threads, too? I'll add a ton of value to those, and I'm sure that'll go over great..

Whatever works for you, indeed.

DieH@rd

Banned
oh, the controller was great though. both controllers on next gen systems feel fanfuckingtastic!

oh a worrying note, i felt the xbox one console and it was running H O T i mean like, super super hot. dont know if that will be an issue in the long run but i dont even remember my 360 running close to that temp.

Well, that's not a good sign.

vg260

From what someone posted in another thread, it sounded like the bumpers were less buttons (not attached on any side) but more like levers (attached near the top center). if this is the case, I feel that's just bad design. Can anyone confirm? I won't be able to go to the local one til tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom