• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ratio of posts saying "dis gun be good" to actual posts that are good: 1000 to 0.

Dude likes the PS4, he played a xbox one. Most of us like things. Most of us haven't played the xbox one. He gave his thoughts. I don't see the controversy. It wasn't expected that he wouldn't like it and he didn't like it.

Dis gun be good, tho!
True, but its sad when you can write off the OP as you come in the thread because of his history. Its not supposed to be like that lol. I guess in order to prove our disagreeing with him he must have a one sided tag or somethin.

VanWinkle

No it doesn't, but you have to understand that right now its hard to see a balanced truth when so much hate has gone on and still goes on. I cant tell whats preferences and whats biased right now on this forum.

You're a huge Xbox fan. Do you think we should take your opinion seriously if you were to play the PS4 and give impressions on it?

No intent to diminish the perspective or the opinions of the OP.

Couple things worth noting.

First, the game demos on the tour are the same ones we’ve shown at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. So both Forza and Ryse look good, but not the same as final. Both games look better now (as I would expect would be the case for Sony as well), so don’t judge the tour demos too harshly relative to the final games. The Ryse video released today I think demonstrates that for those who have compared the E3 trailers with the newest.

Second, the environment that these games run in is not the same environment used for building the dash. So for those seeing the slow/janky dash UI from the tour, that’s nothing like what the real code looks like. These tour boxes are not getting Beta drops, so the UI isn’t even correct, let alone performing well. So don’t use that as any comparison to the real UI. Again, the video released earlier in the week shows the updated code.

Controller should be close to final. So YMMV on how you like it. I’ve worked on every version of every Xbox controller, and I like this one the best by a mile.

Lastly – Sony’s in exactly the same position, so I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt either. When you have stuff that works, you use it even if it’s not perfect. Right now, everyone is crunching.

Why did SLC get bypassed for the X1 tour? You guys have a killer location downtown, would've been prime.

Next time.

I understand how difficult it could be to make sure everything is working properly when a lot of people everywhere do this for long hours and day after day. I can also imagine that its hard to get motivated every once in a while but god damn, its also their job. And setting a TV isn't exactly complex.

Oh I totally agree. Hence why it's a constant sore point :)

Gaz_RB

Big Al Penello posted in this thread. It's going to go far!
until it gets locked

It's really hard to talk about all this stuff without it in our hands. Most of the posts here are just bias mixed with speculation. I guess it's hard to expect much else when we're still a few weeks from launch. It's so close I can taste it.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Except when I also show-up in threads where people say nice things.

... or just generally have questions
... or are basically discussing any XBO topic I think I can help with.

Would you like me to start posting in PS4 and WiiU threads, too? I'll add a ton of value to those, and I'm sure that'll go over great..

Whatever works for you, indeed.

You should go to off-topic sometimes. The NFL threads get pretty wild.

kpaadet

ibw6vQyQPUz3Nm.gif

Whats up with his shoulder pads shrinking?

UNCMark

Banned
I wish people were even half as skeptical when it comes to positive impressions/new/pr/interview/previews as when it comes to judging criticism...

The 'desert track' is laguna seca...
I think a lot of actual racing game fans would appreciate testing a racing game on a real track they know from other games (to compare physics, accuracy of the track etc) rather than some fantasy track.

If you call it 'that desert track' you probably aren't the target audience of forza to begin with.

This demo isn't aimed at "actual racing fans". If it was, they'd be playing it on a car kit. It's aimed at getting people to buy an Xbox One. Use the pretty track.

cameltoad

Neo Member
I got a look at the Xbox One at Eurogamer this year, and I must say, I came away with the same impressions.

That being said, PS4 was only marginally more interesting, with its controller and relatively nice looking Killzone single player demo.

It's a damn shame we have to be so cynical about our hobby.

I wonder if bird watchers fight to the death over their activities?

"That wasn't a swallow, that was a red-wing blackbird, you fucking troll!"

Post of the day sir!!!

+10 internets to you.

Also what is this new Ryse footage that someone from Microsoft mentioned I wanna see....

UNCMark

Banned
Except when I also show-up in threads where people say nice things.

... or just generally have questions
... or are basically discussing any XBO topic I think I can help with.

Would you like me to start posting in PS4 and WiiU threads, too? I'll add a ton of value to those, and I'm sure that'll go over great..

Whatever works for you, indeed.

If you feed the trolls, they're only going to want to feed more. You should know that by now.

shandy706

He's asking if you have asked for pics in every impressions thread that didn't have them, or if you only do for ones you disagree with.

Typically I don't have to ask. Most of the "I got to play (insert game/system here)" posts have pics.

I like seeing shots of the setups and people experiencing it. If someone posted impressions of anything, with a tendency to dislike it beforehand, I think it's common sens to let people know you're not doing it for a laugh. No matter the hardware or game.

Edit** He seems to have seen and been around a lot of stuff based on his comments. It's possible he was really their. I still want to see pics darn it...any new media is great. Not just as proof he went.

Whats up with his shoulder pads shrinking?

They slide/shift under one another like the real thing.

netBuff

This demo isn't aimed at "actual racing fans". If it was, they'd be playing it on a car kit. It's aimed at getting people to buy an Xbox One. Use the pretty track.

If you don't change it before starting the race, it's also set to "easy": Clearly a demo intended for a mass-audience, not racing enthusiasts.

Which Kinect-only games were they?

Just Dance 2014, Kinect Sports Rivals (climbing and jet ski minigames)

I've lurked. Every time I think about doing it, judgment gets the better of me. I think it would derail the conversation. It's a bummer, but I understand I have to stay arms-length on the forum. There are ton of topics I'd like to post in.

Alx

It's quite sad that this topic is already twice as long as the one dedicated to the imressions on the tour... Come on guys, one person was unimpressed by his experience, that's no big deal.

From what someone posted in another thread, it sounded like the bumpers were less buttons (not attached on any side) but more like levers (attached near the top center). if this is the case, I feel that's just bad design. Can anyone confirm? I won't be able to go to the local one til tomorrow.

The picture uploaded by blamite is quite true, you're meant to push the shoulder button with the middle of the finger and not the tip (not different from the way you press the trigger when you think about it).
I thought it felt natural, but I was already pushing it that way on the 360 anyway. I don't think it's a big deal either, just something to get used to.

rrs

Anyways, to clarity my issues with the Xbox One controller's triggers, the edge on it doesn't sit in my joint with how I hold it and I'm pretty sure it would get annoying over time.

Yeah, the demo defaults are on easy AI and all the assists. Considering anything more realistic from someone who isn't good at semi-sim racing games and it's Dirt Driving Simulator 2014.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've lurked. Every time I think about doing it, judgment gets the better of me. I think it would derail the conversation. It's a bummer, but I understand I have to stay arms-length on the forum. There are ton of topics I'd like to post in.
Come post in PopGAF

I wish people were even half as skeptical when it comes to positive impressions/new/pr/interview/previews as when it comes to judging criticism...

HiphopGamer springs to mind reading your post and...

I had to log out after reading the ridiculous deliberately over the top Cerny worship. It's awful and the worst piss take was the Angry guy interview with Major Nelson and some were defending Nelson for not his best moment in front of the camera by saying he is just doing his job and his podcast is great. It was a terrible interview and couldn't fathom the justification.

Don't forget a lot of these shills have been spotted quickly too and dealt with by mods

BigDug13

Could always create an account just for OT. Like Penbert Alello. :p

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Yeah it makes sense because of your job. You would have to be VERY careful on the off-topic side. lol

VanWinkle

I haven't hated on the ps4 once, in fact i have one on preorder. I dont hate Sony, i just like Halo. Thats the difference.

I didn't know he was a MS or Xbox hater. I mean, I didn't look through his post history. I was just going to what he said, which is that he likes the PS4. If his history is full of XB1 hating, then that's fine - I understand the reluctance to trust his opinion. But if he's just a fan of PS4, that shouldn't be enough to write him off.

Krakn3Dfx

That's kind of what I was getting at, that just doesn't happen, looking at post history, it's XBox One related threads where the brand can be propped up or defended when it's needed. I've seen a lot of developers on here who frequent everything from their own game threads to threads about TV shows they like (or don't like).

I tend to take people more seriously as part of the community when they're actually a part of the community.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Posting in other threads not related to the XBO is what I want you to do.

NoPiece

I think impulse triggers are going to be a bigger deal innovation-wise then we realize.
Triggers with modifiable resistance settings have application beyond just driving games.

Shame that the rest of the controller experience is coming up short.

Do the triggers have modifiable resistance, or just vibration. The things I have read only mention vibration. Resistance would be cool for something like a sniper trigger, where you get 3/4 low resistance, and have to pull the last 1/4 hard for the shot, but it doesn;t sound like they are capable of that.

Surprisingly if you go by Sony fanboys, then no.

??

i have absolutely zero agenda and i pretty much completely agree with the OP. both next gen systems are very very underwhelming. with the xbox one being more underwhelming visually. the only thing i disagree with is the controller distaste.

MilkBeard

It feels like OP went in a little biased looking for something negative to write about. Of course, I can't discredit his opinion entirely, but it just feels that way.

I've got a PS4 preordered, but I'm still curious to try the Xbox One event when it comes to Seattle just to get the feel of the thing. I'm interested. Won't be getting the system but I want to see what Forza and some other games feel like.

EDIT: I guess to look at it a different way like the poster above me, I can see both systems being a little bit underwhelming. I'm sure when I get the PS4 I'm going to be a little bit underwhelmed graphically. Nothing is going to stand out to me like getting an N64 or Dreamcast for the first time anymore unless we are talking about virtual reality.

BadAss2961

oh, the controller was great though. both controllers on next gen systems feel fanfuckingtastic!

oh a worrying note, i felt the xbox one console and it was running H O T i mean like, super super hot. dont know if that will be an issue in the long run but i dont even remember my 360 running close to that temp.
oh boy.

netBuff

Do the triggers have modifiable resistance, or just vibration. The things I have read only mention vibration. Resistance would be cool for something like a sniper trigger, where you get 3/4 low resistance, and have to pull the last 1/4 hard for the shot, but it doesn;t sound like they are capable of that.

It's individual vibration for both triggers, not resistance.

Sure...why not. I'd be sure to take pics. You want pics of my impressions of Persona 4? How about my impressions of the Vita?

How about pics of my SLI'd i7 rig and the games?

I'd be happy to provide screenshots of any gameplay impression or hardware impression I take part in. Why not have proof I did it.....you know someone may ask. Might as well be prepared.

I'm going to take pics of the PS4 and X1 setups the first day I get to try them...can't wait.

to be fair some places don't allow to take pictures, I played PS4 at the Montreal Comic Con and when I asked the guy if I could take pics he said it wasn't allowed for the event, but he was very nice and told me that the he will go away for a few minutes and in the mean time I could take a couple of quick pics, and so I did, mostly at dat controller.

BigDug13

They didn't do all that, it's rumble in the triggers, not actual force pushing back on the triggers to create variable resistance. Controller would probably be a lot more expensive with something like that.

jaypah

Ratio of posts saying "dis gun be good" to actual posts that are good: 1000 to 0.

Dude likes the PS4, he played a xbox one. Most of us like things. Most of us haven't played the xbox one. He gave his thoughts. I don't see the controversy. It wasn't expected that he wouldn't like it and he didn't like it.

Dis gun be good, tho!

Honestly? I figured it would be someone who constantly trashes the 180 and praises the PS4 when I read the thread title. So when I saw it was Buff I knew he wouldn't like it. He's never seem even mildly enthusiastic about it. Does that mean he's lying? Not at all and I'm honestly surprised that he couldn't find anything remotely worthwhile besides the triggers. But you're here enough to know why this is "controversial". Don't play that card man, you're way smarter than that. I wouldn't trust Sage to reliably review the PS4 either. No offense to Sage or Buff, but you can't go around like that and then just expect people to say, "yeah, that's a fair look at things".

Having said that I still appreciate the impressions because as much as I assume he doesn't care for MS he's factually played more 180 than I have.

I got a look at the Xbox One at Eurogamer this year, and I must say, I came away with the same impressions.

That being said, PS4 was only marginally more interesting, with its controller and relatively nice looking Killzone single player demo.

Same goes for me, but was quite impressed with Dead Rising too. This is the best footage I've seen lately. On mobile sorry for the sloppy link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-UyrTFlopg

Don't listen to the awful German comments. To me, this footage is better than the footage that was on gamersyde lately. Gameplay starts after a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom