• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolwhip

Banned
I think people who are anticipating this BIG jump in graphically fidelity are going to be in for a disappointment. (At least the launch line up) on looks alone seem to of just caught up to what can be achieved on PCs. To me, Ryse looks on par with Crysis 3 on ultra settings.

Btw, I'm in no way some PC elitist. I have a PS4 preordered and am really excited for next-gen consoles.

Crysis on ultra settings? I doubt you have seen that in action if you compare the two.

The_Holy_Puck

Neo Member
Hi everyone!

Recently, I had the chance to play the Xbox One and its launch games on an event floor at an Xbox Tour event in my region. I returned being highly disappointed in the system: Even knowing the Xbox One isn’t going to be the most powerful of consoles, I expected much bigger a graphical improvement than I got to see with my own eyes.

Even Ryse's and Forza 5's gameplay visuals didn't strike me as a breakthrough, they seemed more of a refinement of current generation graphics than the great leap that I expected to experience after eight years. Battlefield 4 looked downright terrible (and Kinect leaning constantly interfered with unimpeded gamepad gameplay - I finally put a carton in front of the sensor to get a good go at the game), FIFA 14 didn't seem noticeably different from current gen and even Dead Rising only looked so-so.

Another thing to dislike about the Xbox One was the controller: The shape of the lower grips made it uncomfortable to hold, the sticks seemed too tiny and the bumpers were just strange (the amount of force needed to press them just didn't seem right/comfortable).

The Kinect only games on display were on an equal footing with current gen Kinect in terms of gameplay. The increased recognition fidelity wasn't immediately noticeable or beneficial in these games. The console itself seemed pretty clunky and big, and Kinect is a huge monster of a camera bar.

People that recognize my username on this forum may realize that I've preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One for a long time now for rational reasons (better performance, more interesting line up, cheaper): Even then, I didn't expect to get this negative an impression out of this event – it’s kind of shocking, really.

What were other Gaffer's impressions of their play experience? Do you expect people will be disappointed at launch time with the general lack of a visual fidelity leap?

Wow.. Horrid idea in the making.

The best looking games are always the first games at the start of a console's life....

Nocturno999

someone please, more clowns

Ok...
b7d1febb6ca0c3a17d168ca.gif

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
You're all in for a shock when you get your Xbones and PS4s, the pics, gifs and videos shown so far have masked the continuing aliasing problems that drag down the entire visual package. This was a big problem at the Eurogamer Expo with every console game I saw from a typical living room distance, it was disappointing to say the least.
Agreed completely.

Amir0x

Banned
What are you talking about? The guy couldnt find one positive thing to say about it in his OP, not one. And im supposed to not question his motives? Yes your right, im sure theres nothing positive to say about this system. That seems very likely. Thank you, youve really opened my eyes.

You know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter if it's this guy or another, you label GAF entirely with this same brush and you've done it in thread after thread. This is simply a highlight of your expectations.

Silly.Mikey said:
Like Greg Miller from ign. I know he prefers gaming on ps3, but i also know hell give me truthful opinions about Xbox360. In Gaf, not so much.

Instead of responding to specific critiques, people in this topic continually try to slam the individual making them instead of saying whether they have any merit or why not. That is what contributes to a conversation.

This guy, I'm not familiar with him, he could be the world's biggest Sonybot. But the point I'm making is you only have skepticism because it's about something you want, not because you are legitimately questioning motives. I can count the number of times you've done this same general thing since the May 21 reveal, it's gotta be dozens of times. And what I'm saying is you'd get more mileage if you stopped to address the criticisms instead of trying to find some ulterior motive. Whether that ulterior motive exists or not is irrelevant if the points themselves have merit. It doesn't matter who delivers the message if the message itself has merit. Do you disagree? Then say why. Stop trying to always act like everyone just has it out for Xbox.

And yes, there's plenty of people in the world who might not find much positive to say at a simple console tour. I've had similar negative experiences at such things in the past where I would have had very little nice to say about the system I was playing there.

netBuff

Is there some reason people are glossing over his post history? He's not biased? Right...

Sounds like you really went in with an open mind. Brilliant impressions.

sarcasm

This type of complaint seems very bizarre to me.

I did go in expecting to see "next gen", something that might excite me to buy an Xbox One anyway - even though I didn't see much that interested me in the system beforehand.

Being "unbiased" doesn't mean "having no preference": The PS4 seems clearly superior in many ways to me, that's just the way it is. There isn't some magical parallel-universe middle ground where both systems are at an equilibrium. MS has the weaker offering, plain and simple.

Frillen

Then just disregard his opinion, problem solved. No reason to shit on the poster and his thread, that just keeps it getting attention and it gets bumped. Especially questioning the mods is probably not the best idea he ever had.

He dosent like it, many wont like it or the PS4. Just let it go, this is not some war/skirmish we have to have. He put some effort into this thread, at least show him that respect, even if he is bias or whatever. The only way it will go away is if people ignore it.

So we're supposed to give people respect just because they put effort in making a thread even if they're 100 % biased, and are only out to spread an agenda? I'm asking again, why didn't the OP post his impressions in the two threads related to the tour? Why start a new thread? I already know the answer, but I'm dying to get to know yours.

Gaz_RB

It's interesting how preemptively defensive so many people get in threads like these. Reminds me of when I moved to a new apartment once. I brought the cats in in separate pet carriers. Since the place smelled new they were nervous and scared. They started hissing, and as soon as I opened the doors they both hissed as each other and took a few swings. It's like dudes you KNOW each other!

Guy asked why the shoulder plates looked weird and the replies take jabs at him like he's shitting on the game.

I don't see anything wrong with the op, regardless of his post history. At least he tried the system? I have no interest in trying an xbone or making up a thread pretending to. I also don't feel like he's telling anyone what they're supposed to think or do. Come on guys, it's Thursday and our new consoles are a month away!

Shoulder plates are just such a weird, nitpicky thing to bring up

I think everyone is just on edge because we're so close to next gen.

Perfect haha

netBuff

So we're supposed to give people respect just because they put effort in making a thread even if they're 100 % biased, and are only out to spread an agenda? I'm asking again, why didn't the OP post his impressions in the two threads related to the tour? Why start a new thread? I already know the answer, but I'm dying to get to know yours.

Again: "Being biased" isn't the same as "having a preference for the, in my opinion, better system".

You're all in for a shock when you get your Xbones and PS4s, the pics, gifs and videos shown so far have masked the continuing aliasing problems that drag down the entire visual package. This was a big problem at the Eurogamer Expo with every console game I saw from a typical living room distance, it was disappointing to say the least.

Yes, aliasing was extremely prevalent.

i had the same impressions while playing the PS4 launch games. AssCreed, Knack, DriveClub all looked very "meh".

Well it's a good thing i can wait till the good (looking) games come out.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
No intent to diminish the perspective or the opinions of the OP.

Couple things worth noting.

First, the game demos on the tour are the same ones we’ve shown at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. So both Forza and Ryse look good, but not the same as final. Both games look better now (as I would expect would be the case for Sony as well), so don’t judge the tour demos too harshly relative to the final games. The Ryse video released today I think demonstrates that for those who have compared the E3 trailers with the newest.

Second, the environment that these games run in is not the same environment used for building the dash. So for those seeing the slow/janky dash UI from the tour, that’s nothing like what the real code looks like. These tour boxes are not getting Beta drops, so the UI isn’t even correct, let alone performing well. So don’t use that as any comparison to the real UI. Again, the video released earlier in the week shows the updated code.

Controller should be close to final. So YMMV on how you like it. I’ve worked on every version of every Xbox controller, and I like this one the best by a mile.

Lastly – Sony’s in exactly the same position, so I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt either. When you have stuff that works, you use it even if it’s not perfect. Right now, everyone is crunching.

Haha Albert won't give this poor guy a break. And for that, I thank you!

Eh...tend to disagree about that.

I distinctly remember people complaining that Kameo for example, didn't look as impressive as the late PS2 era FF XII.

Kameo looked awesome at launch in HD. FFXII was a grainy mess in comparison. That's a surprising comparison to me.

Shoulder plates are just such a weird, nitpicky thing to bring up

I think everyone is just on edge because we're so close to next gen.

You're right, it is. I guess I just saw it as a simple retort to the helmet snap thing. Like "I also spotted something odd".

I too am getting anxious. I get really cranky and over-analytical when I'm anxious so I apologize for complaining in threads so much lately.

Ashadur

Neo Member
I actually liked the controller, coming from this current generation wasn't a big fan of the 360 controller due to the battery pack and also huge shape of it. My hands are similar size to womens hands which meant the fit for the dualshock 3 and past controllers were perfect. When i played the Xbox One at Eurogamer i thought it was very comfortable a much better improvement over the 360 controller really love the small analogue sticks.

Gestault

I think it's fair to criticize a few things here:

For one, his writeup took time to react to games, but not mention which games they were (the Kinect games, for example). Thankfully through questions in the thread, he's mostly addressed that (an update to the original post might be useful in that area). This sort of jumping around in terms of details persisted even in things like saying "my region" for where the event was being held. I think this was where a lot of the scrutiny came from: he didn't mention details that would be novel compared to what we've seen demoed elsewhere, and frankly ran contrary to every previous reaction I've seen for things like the controller. His reactions were effectively indistinguishable from his previous criticisms, except that here he said things were even worse.

And yes, his post history (and the embedded language in the writing itself) does have bearing on how people should react to his perspective. When someone who has categorically dismissed the platform in the past makes a writeup where a single positive comment can't be mustered amidst some vague details, I raise an eyebrow. This doesn't mean "I demand a more positive outlook." It basically means if someone has a history of borderline irrational distaste for something arrives at the conslusion that it was actually much worse than he expected, without any contrasting suggestions of what he would like more of, I don't gain much from that. There are plenty of people who I disagree with whose point of view is still useful, because there's consistency in it.

So I guess my view is that when we've seen and heard things from trustworthy sources that have very different takeaways from what we're seeing here, I take that into account. I would have liked more details, and not to surreptitiously look for ways to discredit the OP.

Again: "Being biased" isn't the same as "having a preference for the, in my opinion, better system".

Yes, aliasing was extremely prevalent.
I like the bolded part. Honestly, even though I gave you flak in my first post in this thread, if your OP had been filled with more observations like this, rather than vague "looks like last gen" comments, then I wouldn't have ribbed you. This is something that I've also seen in several screens and videos for Xbox One games (Forza, I'm looking at you, you jaggy SOB). I agree that Dead Rising doesn't look too stunning, but making a claim like that usually should be backed up with specifics to avoid people lambasting your post.

In other words, if you had made your argument more precise, instead of using vague generalizations, it would have been harder for people to argue with what you had said, regardless of your post history.

Sorry for immediately jumping down your throat, by the way. The OP just seems a bit bait-y.

Sydle

Eh...tend to disagree about that.

I distinctly remember people complaining that Kameo for example, didn't look as impressive as the late PS2 era FF XII.

Kameo was a mixed bag, but it had plenty moments that were very clearly beyond the capabilities of previous gen hardware.

FFXII had fantastic art direction and it looked impressive, but in all the 50+ hours I put on it I never remember thinking it was something PS2/Xbox/GC couldn't handle.

Derrick01

Banned
"People that recognize my username on this forum may realize that I've preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One..."

/thread

No that should not be "/thread" by itself. Almost everyone on this board has preferences and their impressions shouldn't automatically be discounted if they seem like legit impressions.

UNCMark

Banned
I actually liked the controller, coming from this current generation wasn't a big fan of the 360 controller due to the battery pack and also huge shape of it. My hands are similar size to womens hands which meant the fit for the dualshock 3 and past controllers were perfect. When i played the Xbox One at Eurogamer i thought it was very comfortable a much better improvement over the 360 controller really love the small analogue sticks.

Similar to this woman?

tumblr_m5fbqdaNYN1rntezlo1_400.gif

To those that have used the new controller:

Is it true the sticks are looser?

Yep.

Launch game demos that are most likely months old are bound to disappoint many. For both systems. not trying to be an apologist, but I doubt any of the studios with games being released at launch have time to cut a current demo.

First impressions are meaningful, but not everything. So then they are left with tough choices as to what they demo, because they need to have something. What really hurts Sony and MS is that their best games to show off are M rated, so they can't in stores.

The truth is those first impressions won't mean squat a year from now when more polished titles are released. Just like previous gens we will look back at the launch titles and be amazed how far everything has come. I still find it funny people thought the QD Audition tech demo would never be achieved in the current gen and today that looks laughable by current gen standards. But I can totally understand people holding out for the second wave of titles, I am just surprised so many were expecting the moon at launch.

No that should not be "/thread" by itself. Almost everyone on this board has preferences and their impressions shouldn't automatically be discounted if they seem like legit impressions.
Yep. If anything its better to be upfront about your biases and expectations than to pretend to be purely objective.

I'm sure there are a lot of gamers out there who feel the Xbox (and/or PS4) has to prove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom