• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will likely boot faster than your TV while in standby mode

Briarios

I'm shocked that something that isn't fully turned off starts faster than something that is off!

This is engineering far beyond what mortal man has ever encountered! MS is light years ahead! I mean, unless you look at PCs, laptops, tablets, MP3 players, handheld gaming consoles, yadda yadda yadda ...

Shahed

€14 a year just so you can boot up your console a bit faster.

This is why I hit the power switch at night when I go to bed on all devices that have a "stand by" mode and don't turn it back on till I get home from work at night. No need for any device to be on stand by when I'm not using them. Even if it is only a few cents a day worth of power.

I'd still switch it off over night or at work since I'll go several hours without playing. But while I'm at home? I'll leave it on standby

ShapeGSX

This is why I hit the power switch at night when I go to bed on all devices that have a "stand by" mode and don't turn it back on till I get home from work at night. No need for any device to be on stand by when I'm not using them. Even if it is only a few cents a day worth of power.

Sure, you'll just have to wait for the game updates to download before you can play your game since they didn't download overnight.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm shocked that something that isn't fully turned off starts faster than something that is off!

This is engineering far beyond what mortal man has ever encountered! MS is light years ahead! I mean, unless you look at PCs, laptops, tablets, MP3 players, handheld gaming consoles, yadda yadda yadda ...

not even funny/10

GavinGT

Banned

Maybe standby is also active in the lowest power state. $1.83/year if so.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It is likely = It will?

But only for large numbers, so not categorically like the statement suggests?

Hive mind ? ...... grow up!

Typing too fast.
sign was supposed to be !=

Grow up....Im 12!

Walshicus

Yeah, jokes aside, I wouldn't dare to leave the system on stand-by too often or for large periods of time because of those reasons.

I may well be talking out my arse here
what's new, hir hir hir...
but isn't it more damaging to components turning them on and off than it is keeping them on?

Novak

Most likely faster than my Philips 7xxx series. That thing takes so long to turn on that even my Harmony One remote has problems with it (it sends HDMI source command too soon).

But very unlikely that is faster than my 2006 Bravia LCD. That thing is almost instant. Probably because it doesn't have any of those new fancy features, just plain TV.

I wonder if IR blaster will just turn on/ff the TV or it will also be able to switch HDMI inputs (for example if I leave TV on PC HDMI before turning it off)

Skeff

NeoGIF?

Does Major still have an account here, or is he content to snipe from Reddit instead?

Good Question, curiosity if he realized he agreed with a potential insult (I like gifs) whilst agreeing.

So, it's like the Vita then? as expected.

Marvel

could never
I feel like we here at GAF are a Crocodile and Nelson is poking us repeatedly with a stick for shiggles from time to time lol. Won't be using the feature much myself, too paranoid the thing will spazz out or overheat or something. My tech gets turned off when I'm not using it, electricity is expensive.

Don't worry guys I just dispensed some justice.

8IpDTzX.png

One upvote to Albert for delivering info.

One upvote to that other dude for "NeoGIF."

One downvote to Major Nelson.

W37TG.gif

toff74

You know what's really getting old? People suggesting a "hive mind" every time they hear/read something they don't like.

or what's really getting old is GAF whining everytime Major Nelson or anyone else at MS is doing their job. Marketing a machine that's coming out in a matter of weeks.

Did people here actually read the news about standby mode? Or are you more focussed on a reply to a funny comment by MN?

Makes me wonder who the salty ones actually are!!

Don't most people? I never turn my pc off.

I shut down my PC every time I leave it for more than 30 minutes; my SSD makes it so fast to shutdown/boot up that I don't mind the wait and would rather not leave it running for the (albeit extremely minor) electrical bill benefits. I turn off my monitor anytime I'm away for more than 10 minutes. Just a force of habit I guess.

Briarios

or what's really getting old is GAF whining everytime Major Nelson or anyone else at MS is doing their job. Marketing a machine that's coming out in a matter of weeks.

Did people here actually read the news about standby mode? Or are you more focussed on a reply to a funny comment by MN?

Makes me wonder who the salty ones actually are!!

... I think people aren't complaining about them doing their job, they're complaining about them doing their job poorly. You don't take shots at consumers. You take shots at competitors.

spwolf

Nope. Just realistic and wise not to trust MS before I've seen it with my own eyes. The amount of times they've outright lied this past year only to spin it later is ridiculous.

if i was MS/Balmer, i would simply fire these incompetent PR people that made us question every single thing that comes out from MS.

However, they are just continuing the same path and then pretend they are victims which really doesnt work at all. It was only last week when they said "You know it outputs at 1080p" with regards to COD outrage and was it only month ago when they said "the truth will come out" with regards to those rumors of bad performance - and "the truth" did come out and it was far worse than rumor because nobody expected 125% difference in COD.

They need to draw the line, fire someone and tell their loyal customers that they are not going to do it anymore. Because reality is bad for them and these spins just delay the inevitable to few weeks later and then until another outrage when reality hits them.

You cant claim & promise one thing and have complete opposite happen in matter of few weeks - and when it does, then you are not a victim and nobody will support you.

I shut down my PC every time I leave it for more than 30 minutes; my SSD makes it so fast to shutdown/boot up that I don't mind the wait and would rather not leave it running for the (albeit extremely minor) electrical bill benefits. I turn off my monitor anytime I'm away for more than 10 minutes. Just a force of habit I guess.

Yeah I guess for me it's that back in the day turning on and off PC's caused hardware failure. That's probably not true anymore. But shit, even if I leave for the weekend I dont turn my PC off.

Now that I think about it that's kinda dumb.

Aiii

So not worth it
Sure, you'll just have to wait for the game updates to download before you can play your game since they didn't download overnight.

That's fine for me. If it saves me money in the end.

Now, I know people think "but it's just €14," but the the thing is, you have several devices in standby for around that amount. If you have several consoles, a cable settop box, a Roku or whatever, it all adds up. Before you know it, you can buy one or two new retail games a year for that amount.

I'll save what I can, I have about 6 devices plugged in (not counting laptops) that have a stand-by mode. And by the end of November, a seventh. Turning them off completely by switching off the power supply at night is a small effort to save some cash.

AndyD

aka andydumi
it doesnt boot in standby mode, it is similar to sleep on your computer, so there is no booting at all.

Pretty much. My PC has a setting called "instant boot" and it is on to desktop in about 2 seconds from button push. Works great and it is not surprising to see this in consoles.

Not it's not a full boot, the system state is saved to RAM which stays powered. It's also not hibernate, as the info is not written/read from the harddrive with a powered off state.

And I think it is faster than my plasma TV. So this is great to see and sounds accurate.

eznark

Banned
Yeah I guess for me it's that back in the day turning on and off PC's caused hardware failure. That's probably not true anymore. But shit, even if I leave for the weekend I dont turn my PC off.

Nah, I never turn my PC off unless it's going to storm (I get a lot of power outages). If I turn it off how will Steam update my games?!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does it feel to anyone else as though MS's focus on this thing is just completely wrong all-round? When I hit the power button on my 360 or PS3, I usually wander off to the kitchen to grab a drink or a snack and play when I get back. 'I wish my console turned on more quickly' has literally never been a major concern to me. And in fact, it being quicker to turn on than your TV is completely pointless, since I can't play it without the TV on anyway. The same with Snap. I've literally never thought, 'it would be good if I could see, but not interact with, a tiny sliver of a webpage while I play a game'.

Meanwhile the stuff that could actually be interesting to me, the app store etc., they have completely ignored.

Tapiozona

Banned

Funny how this isn't considered thread shitting.

Great to know there's standby mode which I'm sure will get heavy use by many people. I'll never use it out of fear my console will overheat. I'm sure my fear is silly but I don't want to take the chance, at least in the short term.

Does it feel to anyone else as though MS's focus on this thing is just completely wrong all-round? When I hit the power button on my 360 or PS3, I usually wander off to the kitchen to grab a drink or a snack and play when I get back. 'I wish my console turned on more quickly' has literally never been a major concern to me. And in fact, it being quicker to turn on than your TV is completely pointless, since I can't play it without the TV on anyway. The same with Snap. I've literally never thought, 'it would be good if I could see, but not interact with, a tiny sliver of a webpage while I play a game'.

Meanwhile the stuff that could actually be interesting to me, the app store etc., they have completely ignored.

I really think the bolded part is just you. I don't know anyone who actively wants their console to boot slowly so they can pick up a snack and a drink. I usually do those things before I turn on my console.

As for snap, I can see myself using it rarely. But I'm glad it's there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fuck yes! 5-7 seconds saved. Will probably put them towards learning a new language. Or Piano.

Sarcasm aside it'll be nice to just say "Xbox On" and have it going right away. Generally I use my Xbox to play my P90X/Insanity/etc. DVDs and when I get home I'm changing clothes, etc. So being able to say "Xbox On" from the other room, then "Xbox Play Disc" and have it get through the ungodly long warning screen on P90X will be fantastic.

Sounds dumb, but it's the little things. :p

There's a lot of comments here that seem to be completely ignoring what the topic is and is just general and needless Major Nelson/Microsoft/Xbox One bashing.
As much as I don't like bashing, throw us a fucking (x)bone MS. Guaranteed, the true source of anything will be GAF impressions. Its sad that we have come down to this and the answer to everything is "You just wait and see!"

Fuck all of those that do this shit. Fuck the embargos. Fuck the stupidity. Fuck the secrecy.

Hate the fact that there are practically hundred of thousand of people out there who are ready to throw $500 on a device that its creators are afraid to talk about. This is why cellphones are kicking your ass; the device is out when its announced and there are already dozens of reviews of the final hardware released. When you debate whether your console is rebooting faster than TV, you need to reevaluate this mess.

Sarcasm aside it'll be nice to just say "Xbox On" and have it going right away. Generally I use my Xbox to play my P90X/Insanity/etc. DVDs and when I get home I'm changing clothes, etc. So being able to say "Xbox On" from the other room, then "Xbox Play Disc" and have it get through the ungodly warning screen on P90X will be fantastic.

Sounds dumb, but it's the little things. :p
Except when you say "Xbox, Eject Halo and insert 9POX". :p

Special C

The advantage isn't just fast booting. It will automatically download all your game and system updates in this state as they roll out.

Mr.Speedy

Banned

Not really. If it has a low power state/standby mode (99% positive it does) than there really isn't a reason to turn it off unless you have updates that require a restart or you just don't want it on. I leave my computer on at work all week and only occasionally turn it off over the weekends.

In other news, why in the world is Gaf so salty about a simple little feature on the X1?? My gosh, this whole thread is based of a minor Reddit comment. Is everyone really that upset that the X1 has a standby mode or is everyone upset because Major Nelson approved of a comment joke about Gaf? People here are so quick to offer insults but can't take the smallest of jokes lol...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really think the bolded part is just you. I don't know anyone who actively wants their console to boot slowly so they can pick up a snack and a drink. I usually do those things before I turn on my console.

As for snap, I can see myself using it rarely. But I'm glad it's there.

Maybe you should try it. Hit the power button on the controller, hit the switch on the side of the TV, run to the kitchen and by the time you get back the console and TV are on and waiting for you. No annoying sitting around waiting for things to load. Until you start a game and have to wait for like two minutes.

* Slow Clap for Major *

He's absolutely right. I mean look at the first post

You guys cant say anything

What, we're not allowed to be skeptical? Supposed to just blindly accept whatever PR bullshit they give us? ok!

720p looks the same as 1080p!

Top Bottom