• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will likely boot faster than your TV while in standby mode

demolitio

Nothing says good PR like insulting a large hardcore fanbase instead of understanding where some people's problems lie with your product. If they understood that, maybe they'd be in a better position instead of blaming the internet. A good PR person would know better than to respond to fanboy drivel but it doesn't surprise me with Nelson of all people and that has nothing to do with MS except for the fact that they still give him such a large voice.

And they wonder why consumer trust is so low...

How is that a big deal? :) I don't doubt that suspend mode will be awesome, but currently my Xbox 360 boots faster than my TV. My TV is kinda old though, but it's 1080p...

TVs have 20+ second boot up times?! My 360 is hooked up to a monitor that takes less than 5 seconds, whether from off or standby.

Also, what happens when the power goes out while the Xbox One is on standby mode? For whatever reason the power goes out here every time there's a storm, or even if it's just really windy. I randomly lose power 2-3 times a week. Will that be bad for the system? (I really need a battery backup. These outages are almost always just a few seconds long.)

flkraven

I've got a cheap 50" plasma and it is up and running in like 3 seconds. What crazy TVs do some of you others have? Do they run on gasoline? Do you have to use a crank to boot them up?

Caayn

Hi Major Nelson. When you gonna use that GAF account that you openly complained about not getting approved? :)
Uhmmmm.....
RasbelE.png

Unless I hear that people have been doing this for months without incident, no way am I going to keep mine in standby mode for long periods.

This is the same company that made the 360 folks.
I take it that you're also not going to buy a PS4? As Sony was the company that lost your credit card information.

The way people are naturally skewing this to be negative is disturbing.

They're just saying standby is a great option as opposed to being shut all the way off.

Uhmmmm.....

I take it that you're also not going to buy a PS4? As Sony was the company that lost your credit card information.

Spare me.

Why, yes, Mr. Corporate Apologist, I am also going to buy a PS4 at launch. Where is it written that I cannot make a comment on a system's reliability in a thread that is reporting Microsoft's recommendation that we keep their new product in standy mode?

Point me to the nearest thread that talks about Sony's new questionable credit card policy for the PS4 and I'll gladly shake some salt over there too.

So there is a universal boot time for TV's from stand by?

How can anyone make this categorical type of a claim?

A lot of televisions, especially more advanced ones, actually take a bit to turn on. It isn't extraordinarily long by any means, but it isn't instant like some older televisions were.

Caayn

Spare me.

Why, yes, Mr. Corporate Apologist, I am also going to buy a PS4 at launch. Where is it written that I cannot make a comment on a system's reliability in a thread that is reporting Microsoft's recommendation that we keep their new product in standy mode?

Point me to the nearest thread that talks about Sony's new questionable credit card policy for the PS4 and I'll gladly shake some salt over there too.
Starting to call me names already? Great.

Aren't you the person who is claiming to be tired of all the internet hate lately in other threads? Then why is it that you yourself are quickly jumping to the conclusion that the Xbox One will be just as unreliable as the launch Xbox 360s and spreading hate in the process? There's zero reason to believe that.

I made the comparison to the credit card theft from the Sony servers. Because both are the same in a way that there's absolutely zero reason to believe that either will happen again. And both are a pretty big black spot in their history of the the current consoles.

Starting to call me names already? Great.

Aren't you the person who is claiming to be tired of all the internet hate lately in other threads? Then why is it that you yourself are quickly jumping to the conclusion that the Xbox One will be just as unreliable as the launch Xbox 360s and spreading hate in the process? There's zero reason to believe that.

I made the comparison to the credit card theft from the Sony servers. Because both are the same in a way that there's absolutely zero reason to believe that either will happen again. And both are a pretty big black spot in their history of the the current consoles.

Fair enough. I've already owned up to being overreactive in my post in the PS4 overheating / debunking thread.

For the record though, there's a big difference between the kind of possible issue that may completely bork a brand new console and the countless random whining that we've been seeing left and right. I was burned not once, not twice, not even thrice but 4 frickin' times by the RROD last gen. I believe that I've earned the right to be somewhat pessimistic in this particular case

Caayn

Fair enough. I've already owned up to being overreactive in my post in the PS4 overheating / debunking thread.

For the record though, there's a big difference between the kind of possible issue that may completely bork a brand new console and the countless random whining that we've been seeing left and right. I was burned not once, not twice, not even thrice but 4 frickin' times by the RROD last gen. I believe that I've earned the right to be somewhat pessimistic in this particular case
Seems logical and reasonable. Sorry if I've offended you :)

Dukey

Banned
The way people are naturally skewing this to be negative is disturbing.

They're just saying standby is a great option as opposed to being shut all the way off.

Yep. It's a great feature. If you don't want it, don't use it, but to insinuate that there's anything negative about it is just pure stupid.

Mugatu

I personally don't see wasting energy for crap like this to be a positive thing. I can wait a couple of seconds.

I personally don't see wasting energy for crap like this to be a positive thing. I can wait a couple of seconds.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but it's way more than a "few seconds" we're talking about. It's not just booting the console. It's getting back to the exact spot in the game you were last playing. Standby saves things way they were when you stopped playing, so if you're mid-play in Madden, for example, you can resume right from there in 5 seconds or however long it takes. That seems pretty great to me.

Fredrik

Doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I can definitely see it being one of those things that you would be annoyed not to have in the future once you get used to it.
Yep. Downplaying this is kind of dumb, it doesn't matter how normal this is on a PC, having it on consoles too is still awesome. Plus, if it's capable of controlling the living room with IR Blasting it really need to be first up and running if people are going to use it instead of picking up the remote.

Well I guess they had to find something they were faster than... lol

Although I have a VCR that boots faster than my TV as well.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hi Major Nelson. When you gonna use that GAF account that you openly complained about not getting approved? :)

Lol... What?

Uhmmmm.....

The majority of his posts are in:

"Welcome @Majornelson to NeoGAF"
"XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates"

At least Albert has tried to answer some of our hardball questions. Yeah I know he stated that Reddit is his domain. Just saying...seemed like he called out GAF as if the mods not approving his account was what was preventing him from discussing our issues with how XB1 is being handled. I could have just misinterpreted his comment. But it sure seemed to rile up those redditors who try to claim sonygaf at every turn. ;)

It would be cool if he participated more even with whatever agreement he's worked out with Albert as to who posts where.

Top Bottom