• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will likely boot faster than your TV while in standby mode

Marleyman

Banned
Of course. I have both pre-ordered. I guess it's time to move that Wii U out of my entertainment center to make room for the two new pieces of hotness?

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

Freki

Major Nelson, as you are posting in this thread it would be nice if you could further elaborate on this comment you made a month ago:

"As I said above, Albert is one of the most amazing people I work with - that's why I invited him on my podcast a few weeks ago. I jab him a bit about posting on 'GAF (fact: they would not approve my account of there) but he's smart and driven. He's also right: We have some of smartest programmers in the world working on Xbox One. I am very much looking forward to the next few months (and beyond) as the truth comes out."​

Is the truth out yet?

Edit: To add some more infomation for people not being aware of the context:

Major Nelson's comment was made in a reddit thread regarding this quote of Albert Penello:
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Marleyman

Banned
As you are posting in this thread it would be nice if you could further elaborate on this comment you made a month ago:

As I said above, Albert is one of the most amazing people I work with - that's why I invited him on my podcast a few weeks ago. I jab him a bit about posting on 'GAF (fact: they would not approve my account of there) but he's smart and driven. He's also right: We have some of smartest programmers in the world working on Xbox One. I am very much looking forward to the next few months (and beyond) as the truth comes out.​

Is the truth out yet?

Great question; what is the truth anyway?

Freki

Great question; what is the truth anyway?

Major Nelson's comment was made in a reddit thread regarding this quote of Albert Penello:
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Demon Ice

Banned
Lol at Major Nelson taking potshots at GAF from the safety of the XB1 Reddit.

Sorry we aren't all drinking the Kool Aid here, Major.

Uh... I thought this was expected. Both ps4 and Xbox one will have a stand by/sleep mode.
The stand by mode was also mentioned when we read the energy requisites and power modes of the consoles.

Computers had it for years. Welcome to the future.

edit: and I don't know why gaffers still don't believe in the snap feature. That's why they put the 8GB of ram in first place in the console (a big jump from 512mb) to be able to load a pair of apps and a game at the same time.

Monocle

Major Nelson sure seems mad about the way people respond to facts around here. It's not as though the majority of GAF's XB1 criticism is unjustified.

Edit: OK, maybe not mad, but mildly peeved on behalf of his employer. I feel like the red ring jokes and snarky gifs are a fair response to recent events and confirmed news about the XB1.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
RROD is the reason I'm starting with a PS4 only, I've been through 4 360 consoles since launch due to RROD.

I am absolutely confident that heat won't be an issue with the XBO. The chips don't produce that much heat to begin with. They can also dynamically dial down their power consumption. The cooling of the box seems nonetheless more powerful. And I think that RROD is the one thing that Microsoft doesn't want to repeat at all costs.

Briarios

What do you mean by "I leave NeoGAF for Albert" ? This is a discussion forum, not a PR platform where companies "leave it to certain people" to deliver a message; members are encouraged to discuss and share their opinions.

PR isn't automatically a bad thing - it's just interacting with the publics (the individual groups that have a stake in what a company is doing). There are good and bad ways to do public relations. The bad way is obviously attacking your publics or deceiving them. But, good PR is two way communication that can affect both sides positively. It's about finding a win-win. It's not always practiced that way, but it should be.

Have representatives interact here is a good thing, even if they're not saying what you want to hear, because it's direct communication. They are able to carry back messages from members here to their organization.

And, everything is a PR platform. We're all trying to push the messages we want to affect change ... PR is just communication.

EvB

Will Xbox still wait until I turn it to the correct channel before showing me the Xbox animation. Seriously it is so annoying, its like making me watch a 15 second ad for X360 when I already own and am actively trying to use one.

(And no I don't want to hear anything relating to INPUT ONE)

I believe that's a TV thing rather than an Xbox thing.

If I turn on my Xbox before my it doesn't actually boot
but if I turn on my xbox while the TV is on, it automatically switches to the input.

My previous TVs didn't behave in this way (I have a Panasonic)

RayMaker

Banned
Major Nelson, as you are posting in this thread it would be nice if you could further elaborate on this comment you made a month ago:

"As I said above, Albert is one of the most amazing people I work with - that's why I invited him on my podcast a few weeks ago. I jab him a bit about posting on 'GAF (fact: they would not approve my account of there) but he's smart and driven. He's also right: We have some of smartest programmers in the world working on Xbox One. I am very much looking forward to the next few months (and beyond) as the truth comes out."​

Is the truth out yet?

To major nelson 720p vs 900p + ambient occlusion etc is practically identical to him,

therefore he probably believes the X1 will have graphical parity like the 360 and ps3 did.

but as of now bf4 (and soon cod ghosts) has shown us the X1 does not have graphical parity, the same way the PS3 did not have graphical parity with about 80% of multiplats.

Darksol

PR isn't automatically a bad thing - it's just interacting with the publics (the individual groups that have a stake in what a company is doing). There are good and bad ways to do public relations. The bad way is obviously attacking your publics or deceiving them. But, good PR is two way communication that can affect both sides positively. It's about finding a win-win. It's not always practiced that way, but it should be.

Have representatives interact here is a good thing, even if they're not saying what you want to hear, because it's direct communication. They are able to carry back messages from members here to their organization.

And, everything is a PR platform. We're all trying to push the messages we want to affect change ... PR is just communication.

You just did PR for PR. I feel so meta now.

E92 M3

Major - can you please go into further detail how the Xbox Game Store will be organized? I really like the current setup and would like to know the detailed changes and nuances before the system launches.

Lol at Major Nelson taking potshots at GAF from the safety of the XB1 Reddit.

Sorry we aren't all drinking the Kool Aid here, Major.

I'm all but convinced that the Xbone is one of the most ill-conceived and anti-consumer products of the last decade, but that post was pretty much spot on. That post was harmless. You can take Larry to task on any number of other things.

You know, for all the whining people are doing in here about Major Nelson simply agreeing with someone else that everything they say and do (good or bad) gets turned into a shit storm.

All the thread shitting and trying to turn the thread into a Major Nelson ripping contest only proves his point.

He didn't even say the things people are pissed off about in the reddit topic (he simply agreed with the sentiment that tiny things are blown way out of proportion) and this whole thing is literally proof of that.

From the people doing the "SO WHAT ABOUT STANDBY? I DON"T EVEN CARE?!?!" dance when Albert was just talking to a redditor and the hyena pack waiting to piss on MN as soon as he appears.

The beauty of being an older gamer, is I don't worry about loading or booting up. I, just wait until it loads and I'm playing. 30sec is nothing hell 45sec is nothing too me.

Dunlop

I think Major browses constantly, he just leaves the responses to AP on here. Any time he responds everyone throws stuff at him. In all honesty, can you blame him for not wanting to derail every thread by posting and allowing the members to derail the thread?.

Quoting you again as it only took a page after you wrote this for the thread to stop being about the OP

You win a cookie

Wow - booting up faster than your TV is worth the extra $100 indeed...

Does this mean when your TV DOES boot on, you'll have to reset the XB1 anyway since your particular TV might not have an active refresh for it's HDMI input scans?

I am absolutely confident that heat won't be an issue with the XBO. The chips don't produce that much heat to begin with. They can also dynamically dial down their power consumption. The cooling of the box seems nonetheless more powerful. And I think that RROD is the one thing that Microsoft doesn't want to repeat at all costs.

I'd agree with this assessment. In all likelihood, neither machine (X1 or PS4) will have overheating issues.

We should be free and clear of that this gen, which is great. Nothing like dependable hardware. We just have to hope that the BR drives are not pieces of crap.

level44

Good to see Major Nelson posting here.
Even thought I am completely in the Sony camp i still really like the guy. Not sure why a lot of other Sony guys think differently.

Derrick01

Banned
The beauty of being an older gamer, is I don't worry about loading or booting up. I, just wait until it loads and I'm playing. 30sec is nothing hell 45sec is nothing too me.

But think about all of the things you could do in 30 seconds! You could check your facebook page and post some inane tweet about your toenail poking your toe when you walk on it. Might even be able to squeeze in a fart app too.

The Cowboy

Ahh the joys of older days when we loaded up games using tapes - and they failed at the 30 minute mark :D.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I feel the opposite. Since I usually only game in sessions of 1 hour due to work and family, every bit of less wasted time is appreciated. Fast suspending and resuming of games is one of the very best features of next-gen consoles. During the PS1-days, I cared less about loading times. Hell, I loaded my first games from a freakin' tape drive, and it took ages.

Dunlop

Ahh the joys of older days when we loaded up games using tapes - and they failed at the 30 minute mark :D.
Pfft you had it easy,I used to buy those manuals that you needed to write the code in basic to pay the game.

Then a tape drive on my trs-80, when I got a c64 with a disk drive I truly felt I was in the future :p

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Pfft you had it easy,I used to buy those manuals that you needed to write the code in basic to pay the game.

Then a tape drive on my trs-80, when I got a c64 with a disk drive I truly felt I was in the future :p

I remember typing in a program from a magazine on my friend's C64, only he didn't even have a tape drive. We got to play it and then it went poof when we shut the machine off :p

This hasn't been done by a *console* ever before.. not revolutionary, but right now playing GTA5 on my 360 I have to wait about 2 minutes before I'm playing the game. I don't know about everyone else, but my routine is: turn on xbox, TV, receiver, grab a drink, come back, sign in, wait for that, launch GTA5, wait a good long minute for it to load, start playing.

with this, I would do: "xbox on", turn on TV, turn on receiver, I'm playing.

How is that not a good thing?

The Cowboy

My Amstrad 464+ (yes my parents bought this instead of the C64 :() came with a book of those type out to make a game stuff - I tried it once but man you spent hours to get hardly anything.

Good questions. I am just back from Europe, so I don't have the latest build on my console yet. They're still tweaking that stuff...so any numbers I give would be inaccurate at best (and make wrong headlines at worst.) The dashboard DOES feel really fast. Pressing the guide button to go instantly to the dash, then instantly go back to a game (where it resumes immediately) is pretty great.
If it works and feels like hitting the start button/Windows key in Windows 8 for transitioning, I'd be impressed. The guide button on the 360 is atrociously slow to load and laggy to use in-game. Hitting it unintentionally in competitive games is a death sentence.

And since you're reading this, I wanted to express something: as someone who has owned a 360 for years (Test Drive Unlimited was my first then-next-gen game), and used it as my main platform for the duration of its life, and owns a stupid amount of games for it (I think around 160 physical, and probably enough digital to put me over 200), Xbox One won't be my main console this time around.

The reason I prefaced that with so much background is to make it clear that it's not for system warz or fanboy reasons. It's because as a consumer. I go where I feel the best value and experience will be. And since the reveal, Microsoft had not only failed to address me as a gamer, its messaging and tone regarding the system actively pushed me away. Features like family sharing, to justify the DRM, were never properly explained or detailed to make me accept a massive shift in the view of ownership I was being told I would have to accept. With the chance for a clean break given at the start of a new generation, and the exhaustion of paying for an online service that never justified is cost given its low value and insidious locking of otherwise free features on every other damn platform ever behind a paywall, you made the choice easy.

The brand damage to Xbox is real. I'm switching. My friends are either switching or leaving the console ecosystem altogether for PC, where at least the DRM is understandable and justifiable, to an extent, or the benefits outweigh the tradeoffs. And this damage is of Microsoft's own doing.

I have no idea if you'll really read this, or miss it, or dismiss it as some guy on some forum being an asshole to you, your company, or your product. But regardless, it's genuinely how I feel as a customer. Microsoft didn't just fail to excite me for its product, it actively pushed me away.

I hope this comes across as honestly as it does respectfully. Take it for what it's worth; I simply submit it for consideration.

fiyah

This hasn't been done by a *console* ever before.. not revolutionary, but right now playing GTA5 on my 360 I have to wait about 2 minutes before I'm playing the game. I don't know about everyone else, but my routine is: turn on xbox, TV, receiver, grab a drink, come back, sign in, wait for that, launch GTA5, wait a good long minute for it to load, start playing.

with this, I would do: "xbox on", turn on TV, turn on receiver, I'm playing.

How is that not a good thing?

Wait...people are saying this is a bad thing?

Top Bottom