• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Original Programming

Hanmik

Damn you Microsoft for trying to provide original programming that ads value to the subscription service everyone pays for!

I mean, seriously, one of the biggest complaints about Xbox Live is that it doesn't offer much value, and now some of you guys are mad because they're trying to offer it. It boggles my mind.

hmmm. maybe people wants value for the money they use on a GAMING system..?

RulkezX

Damn you Microsoft for trying to provide original programming that ads value to the subscription service everyone pays for!

I mean, seriously, one of the biggest complaints about Xbox Live is that it doesn't offer much value, and now some of you guys are mad because they're trying to offer it. It boggles my mind.

BREAKING BAD, FROM THE GENIUSES WHO BROUGHT YOU, THE TESTER.

Do we know this is all going to be available with gold ? I don't think they have ever claimed it will be.

Busty

Banned
You blew it, OP

The title should have been: "Xbox Originals coming to Xbox 360, Xbox One and other Microsoft devices".

I think you'll find the OP should have been.

"Xbox announce original TV shows. "Xbox off."

I keed. I keed.

Hoo-doo

Banned

If they added value in terms of notable gaming-related features, then people would be hyped.

But these are potentially interesting shows that are only tangentially related to gaming at best. Do you not understand why a hardcore gaming forum doesn't go crazy for TV announcements?

I want any kind of value. And if people are still calling the consoles gaming systems have lost touch of reality. They are media boxes. The PS3 is the most used Netflix device in the world, and these machines have a central position in homes so of course they should provide more then just games.

I'm super excited to see these things become reality. Hopefully one of them will be great.

Actually, they will be alienating a wider audience who would rather watch programs on their tablets, etc. This crowd is not going to go buy a $500 box just so they can watch Xbox TV.

My bet is they will put them out through Xbox Video, or possibly even create their own "Xbox Entertainment" App.

LOL, one of the best shows ever versus xbox tv. Sony is also coming out with some tv stuff, didn;t they mention a cable service as well?

This topic isn't about Sony, though I'm not surprised to see you in here bringing them up, lol.

Sony pictures didn't make the tester.

Honestly, SBD, there were so many examples that could've worked there.

1372694074233.jpg

Castef

Banned
I wonder if some of these licenses will also translate in new videogames...

(yesss, Deadlands, I'm looking at you...)

Ape

Banned
“Winterworld”

Xbox Entertainment Studios and IDW Entertainment are co-developing a limited event live-action series based on Chuck Dixon and artist Jorge Zaffino’s seminal graphic novel series “Winterworld,” in which our world has been encased in ice from pole-to-pole. The surviving humans have formed tribes that war, enslave and trade with one another in an effort to survive the infinite winter. Ted Adams and David Ozer from IDW Entertainment, and Rick Jacobs and Dave Alpert from Circle of Confusion (“Walking Dead”) will executive produce.

Untitled JASH Comedy/Variety Half Hour

In this unique comedy format developed by Xbox Entertainment Studios with JASH (a comedy collective founded by Sarah Silverman, Michael Cera, Tim and Eric and Reggie Watts), the biggest names in comedy will showcase the people that make them laugh. Each week, a different comedian will host/curate a show featuring new and unsung talent, in various video formats. Sarah Silverman will host the pilot episode and Daniel Kellison (“Late Night/Late Show with David Letterman,” “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” “Crank Yankers”) will executive produce. The series has a pilot commitment and will begin shooting in June.

“Gun Machine”

Xbox Entertainment Studios acquired the rights to “Gun Machine,” a hardboiled detective thriller based on the New York Times bestselling novel by Warren Ellis. Ellis will executive produce with Brett Conrad (“The Killing,” “Sons of Anarchy,” Netflix’s upcoming “Marco Polo”) who has signed on to write the pilot script about a detective tracking a serial killer who is tied to a mysterious collection of guns used in infamous New York murders.

“Humans”

“Humans” is a bold new drama co-produced with UK broadcaster Channel 4. Award-winning UK production company Kudos (“The Hour,” “Utopia,” “Broadchurch”) will produce the hour-long, eight-episode series, which will share a premiere broadcast window on the Xbox platform and Channel 4 in the UK in 2015.

“Signal to Noise”/“Atari: Game Over”

Xbox is creating a new six film documentary series, “Signal to Noise,” (working title) with two-time Academy Award winning producer Simon Chinn (“Searching for Sugar Man” and “Man on Wire”) and Emmy winning producer Jonathan Chinn (FX’s “30 Days” and PBS’s “American High”), through their multi-platform media company, Lightbox. The series will expose little known stories of how modern technology has radically altered the way we interact with our world.

“Every Street United”

“Every Street United” is an unscripted series of eight, thirty-minute episodes and a one-hour finale, featuring legendary soccer players Thierry Henry and Edgar Davids, focused on the global search for soccer’s most gifted and undiscovered street stars scouted across eight countries (United States, England, Argentina, Spain, Brazil, the Netherlands, Ghana and South Korea). The series culminates this July in a 4v4 street game finale in the shadow of the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.

These ones are what I'll probably watch. The Halo shows I'll have to see more on.

ironcreed

Banned
Dominated by whom? People will care if the quality of the shows are good.

Amazon, Neflix, Hulu, etc. You really think Xbox TV will compete or gain any relevance with the likes of these being available? People already have access to these other services on devices they already own and the Xbox brand is associated with gaming first and foremost. The casual market is not going to give two shits about Xbox TV and you can bank on it.

Castef

Banned
Amazon, Neflix, Hulu, etc. You really think Xbox TV will compete or gain any relevance with the likes of these being available? People already have access to these other services on devices they already own and the Xbox brand is associated with gaming first and foremost. The casual market is not going to give two shits about Xbox TV and you can bank on it.

In the very same way that the videogame industry was dominated by Nintendo, Sony and Sega, right?

Honestly think this is a waste of resources since I have a hard time believing MS will commit to this venture as fully as they'd need to in order to make it a success.

I think they are off to a good start, Nancy Tellem heading it up and 150 members of staff kinda prove they aren't taking it lightly.

Ape

Banned

Original content is a totally different monster. People weren't so sure Netflix could do it and look at where we are today. As long as the shows are good everything will take care of itself.

Hanmik

I want any kind of value. And if people are still calling the consoles gaming systems have lost touch of reality. They are media boxes. The PS3 is the most used Netflix device in the world, and these machines have a central position in homes so of course they should provide more then just games.

I'm super excited to see these things become reality. Hopefully one of them will be great.

but you are in Denmark..? just like me (sort of).. and none of this (97½% change of it not coming) will ever come to Denmark. just like it was on X360.
In Europe (most of it anyway) live has nothing besides online gaming..

Synth

Available only on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and other Microsoft devices
This is not the right way to go about establishing yourself in the TV show space.

In the very same way that the videogame industry was dominated by Nintendo, Sony and Sega, right?

I'm pretty certain you mean Nintendo and Sega. Sony is a music company that also makes nice TVs, they'd never be able to compete in the gaming market against the likes of Nintendo and Sega with all their household IPs.

KissVibes

Banned

Amazon isn't dominating shit in terms of original content. All their shows are hot garbage and Microsoft can easily step in and eat their lunch on that front. I mean shit, most people don't even like the Amazon video because it made Prime go up.

Netflix is the only one that really has anything of value in their original programming. Microsoft may not best them, but can certainly co-exist and isn't doomed to failure.

The Xbox brand is indeed associated with gaming first, which is why all of Microsoft's shows listed are targeted at young adult males. As the media pick up on these shows and provide coverage, word of mouth will spread and the shows will gain traction giving MS the chance to branch out and do more diverse content in the future.

This is not the right way to go about establishing yourself in the TV show space.

It's one more selling-point for MS devices and service, though.

Damn them for not giving us free Indie Games each month!

Oh wait, they're going to start that soon in the next upcoming months.

What else separates PSN and Xbox Live Gold, at least in terms of the Xbox One and PS4? They have the exact same features at this point but the free small little games each month.

And when Hulu debuted people said it wouldn't be able to compete with Netflix. Come on, it's like you already are writing their efforts off when they literally haven't even aired anything yet. Also, don't pretend that Amazon has any huge original programming shows right now. Netflix has a bunch and Hulu is starting to get betetr in this regards, but to say there is NO CHANCE that MS can compete in original programming, especially after seeing this diverse lineup is just silly.

Of course there will be *little* people who buy the console for stricly this, but there are people who will look at it as part of the bigger picture of something else the console brings.

but you are in Denmark..? just like me (sort of).. and none of this (97½% change of it not coming) will ever come to Denmark. just like it was on X360.
In Europe (most of it anyway) live has nothing besides online gaming..

I would be genuinely surprised if the original programming was not world wide.

But it doesn't change the fact that these boxes are used for far more things then games, and that's a good thing.

ironcreed

Banned

No doubt and they have made their mark in gaming and that is what Xbox is recognized for. If anything, that is why I think this is a venture that should be started separately, rather than associating it with their brand that is known for gaming. Integrate it in afterwards, sure. Then of course offer the service as an app for people on all devices. Otherwise, it does not stand a chance.

Ape

Banned

What else separates PSN and Xbox Live Gold, at least in terms of the Xbox One and PS4? They have the exact same features at this point but the free small little games each month.

That's really not for this thread.

jelly

A few interesting ones there that I'll check out.

So, how does this work, free to Gold subscribers, Netflix like Xbox Video pass ?

flkraven

This stuff really excites me, as long as it is included in the subscription price of Gold and not an added cost. The more divergence I see between Microsoft and Sony the better. The last thing we need is 2 consoles that do almost the same thing, seperated by a power gap and a handful of exclusives. Instead, I'd love to have two fundamentally different experiences and a real choice in which one someone should choose. Really don't understand the people that shit all over this. If you don't like this way of doing things, you can easily go the Sony route. Now it really just feels like people will trash talk Microsoft if they aren't constantly sucking off hardcore gamers. Their console is weaker, and we've still got 5 more years left in this generation. They've got some appealing exclusives, and are doing some different things with entertainement. I welcome the change.

Options are great! This isn't "the reason why people buy a $500 machine", it is just a differentiator. I know that I will be buying a new console after E3, and when choosing between Sony and Microsoft, this impacts my decision. I don't have cable, and I use my console for all of my entertainment. It seems like this is going to be used to combat PS+: Better Included Games vs More Entertainement Programs.

weeeeezy

Banned
I am not shitting on it at all, it's fact. I'd say the same thing if Sony were to do something they simply are not well equipped to do.
Just stop trolling every thread related to MS. It's very obvious, you are not fooling anyone.

Some of these shows seem really interesting. I hope they can make the Halo series at Game of Thrones level. Anything under M rating would be terrible.

ironcreed

Banned
And when Hulu debuted people said it wouldn't be able to compete with Netflix. Come on, it's like you already are writing their efforts off when they literally haven't even aired anything yet. Also, don't pretend that Amazon has any huge original programming shows right now. Netflix has a bunch and Hulu is starting to get betetr in this regards, but to say there is NO CHANCE that MS can compete in original programming, especially after seeing this diverse lineup is just silly.

Of course there will be *little* people who buy the console for stricly this, but there are people who will look at it as part of the bigger picture of something else the console brings.

Anything is possible, but I just am not seeing it. And yes, part of it is that I want to see Xbox get back to a strong gaming first focus and double down on making the system strongest there. They already have a huge image problem, so going full steam ahead with all of this TV shit is not going to win them any favors with the audience that is most likely to be buying their system. That's all I'm saying.

KissVibes

Banned
I am not shitting on it at all, it's fact. I'd say the same thing if Sony were to do something they simply are not well equipped to do.

They hired Nancy Tellem, one of the most powerful and successful individuals in television to oversee all of this. She played a very important part in the astronomical successes CBS has had over the years.

They seem to be taking the right steps and equipping themselves for this, I think they'll be just fine.

Hanmik

I would be genuinely surprised if the original programming was not world wide.

But it doesn't change the fact that these boxes are used for far more things then games, and that's a good thing.

I disagree with your first statement.. but totally agree with the last one.

Had to bring up Sony in a Xbox thread, didn't you.

Anyways, I'll watch the Halo stuff & Deadlands for sure!

Xbox TV won't just be competing with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, but also (and perhaps more directly) with Sony's plans for original TV, 'gamer focused' tv content for PSN. It's totally relevant.

why are you looking past the entire IGC offerings to suit your argument? I know as a XBL subscriber I want MS to offer more value in terms of games, not an attempt at TV programming. you would think the more expensive service would be the one offering more for our dollar.

I still think this is a weird idea (to tie tv programming to a console) but I'd check out at least 50% of those shows so I'm not complaining. Apparently the original Swedish version of Humans (Real Humans) was really good so I'm looking forward to that one (Along with all the Halo stuff).

Synth

It's one more selling-point for MS devices and service, though.

It should be exclusive to their service (Xbox Video), but it shouldn't be exclusive to any of their devices if you ask me. You're not going to entice people to purchase your hardware for shows they have no way of even confirming they will like otherwise. I mean, sure they could pirate an episode, but at that point they'd probably decide to do that with the rest of the show too. Let everyone access it via the service, and then make sure the service is best on your devices (which right now they are automatically, by being the only devices with an app, instead of relying on a website).

Everybody is ill-equipped to compete in a new space at the start. MS is better than equipped to move into new digital spaces than all but a handful of companies existing.

Xbox TV won't just be competing with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, but also (and perhaps more directly) with Sony's plans for original TV, 'gamer focused' tv content for PSN. It's totally relevant.

'Gamer Focused' TV restricted to PSN isn't worth MS even worrying about. Gamer focused TV had been tried constantly, and failed almost every time (I can only really think of GamesMaster as a success). It's a niche of a niche. Not at all a relevant comparison.

Honestly think this is a waste of resources since I have a hard time believing MS will commit to this venture as fully as they'd need to in order to make it a success.

You don't announce this much and not be serious about your commitment. In other words, even if Microsoft were to leave the games industry altogether, I believe they would still be pushing this every bit as hard as they are currently, because they look at the popularity of things like House of Cards on Netflix, Hulu, original programming on channels like HBO or Starz etc and they legitimately believe this is worth pursuing. Xbox just happens to be a very smart and convenient brand to attach this to, but I think they're dead serious about this.

Top Bottom