• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox plans to exit gaming business if "off-console" Game Pass subscribers don't increase enough by 2027

DryvBy

Source: https://wccftech.com/microsoft-may-...ers-off-console-dont-increase-enough-by-2027/

Get your juice boxes ready for a bumpy thread!

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer made some remarkable statements on a potential exit from the gaming business. The quotes are extracted from an investigational hearing conducted as part of the Federal Trade Commission's investigation into Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

FTC lawyer James Weingarten put the following internal Xbox Game Pass slide in front of Spencer, asking him whether he agreed with the projections that show the subscription service surpassing 100 million users between FY29 and FY30, largely due to an increase in the PC and cloud market.

Spencer said in no uncertain terms that Microsoft could exit the gaming business if this projection became reality. Microsoft needs the light green and blue segments (PC and cloud) to get much larger and much faster by fiscal year 2027, or it could opt out of the business altogether.

I do not believe that that is what the future Xbox business would look like. This is a presentation from our devices organization to the gaming leadership team, so this is the view from the team that is chartered with building our hardware on what the future business would look like.

I can fairly safely say that if we do not make more progress than this off of console, we would exit the gaming business. If this were the outcome, we would -- I don't believe we'd still be in the business.

A majority of our customers are found off of our own hardware, I would hope by earlier than 2030. So, when you asked me if I agreed with this chart that the light green and blue depending on what colors you see there would have to be much larger much earlier. I would say by FY26, '27 that we should be in that position, or we'd have to make a different decision with the business.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
G8Fitm4.jpg

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Why are we acting like this is some revolutionary statement. Microsoft is a BUSINESS if they are spending money left and right on Gamepass games to the tunes of billions of dollars the install base needs to explode. Id be saying the same thing in this situation its just the plain truth.

However Microsoft betting their entire business on GAMEPASS is a bad idea. There is no need for it.

squarealex

Alright, left 3+ years now.

PlayStation keep COD for 10 years and Switch 2 maybe will be good, maybe not like the 1st, but enough for big success.

Good luck.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Xbox leaving would devastate the console space.
Sony would go full ham and cheese and would make EA look like a joke.
Nintendo, as well.
PC would be the only correct option. More than ever.
1. nope.
2. Sony would keep trucking on as usual because Nintendo and PC are still looming behind to eat their lunch. Sony are not infallible.
3. They're already doing so and yet their games still sell millions.
4. That's a bad thing?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
There's no way Microsoft's board allows Phil to spend $70b on top of whatever it costs to run Xbox only to throw it all away in 3 years. This is Microsoft trying to paint themselves in a more dire situation than they're in.

Again, this is all because Matt Booty can't manage their studios. Phil's response in that email about no first party games for 16 months and their next big one being Redfall (Which they all knew was shit) did not have the sense or urgency I would have expected for that situation. Which probably explains why they had no releases in 16 months.

Klayzer

Why are we acting like this is some revolutionary statement. Microsoft is a BUSINESS if they are spending money left and right on Gamepass games to the tunes of billions of dollars the install base needs to explode. Id be saying the same thing in this situation its just the plain truth.

However Microsoft betting their entire business on GAMEPASS is a bad idea. There is no need for it.
This all or nothing on Gamespass is not something a smart executive would do. It's pure recklessness by a major platform holder. Subsidize yes, bet the whole future on, hell no.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Quick someone tweet Elon to buy sega and put out a console! 😂

I think the funniest thing is some of think pc desktops are not going away I’m the future. Maybe a windows tablet will be around in 2040?

Last edited:
We know what we need to do to rid ourselves of this parasite.

I’d be completely happy with Nintendo, PlayStation, and Steam being the big players. What value does a Microsoft bring, honestly what value have they brought that has been for the betterment of gamers and gaming in the past 20 years? I’m sure a few things exist but they pale in comparison to what the other three have accomplished.

Top Bottom