• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox plans to exit gaming business if "off-console" Game Pass subscribers don't increase enough by 2027

Del_X

I mean, sure. Valve could easily step in and replace MS, do a far better job too.

And if no one steps up, no biggie. Sony, Nintendo, PC offers enough choice as is.

Valve? My brother in christ they already fucked up with Steam machines, they already went all-digital (which has people pissing and moaning at the mere suggestion).

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I think sony did the most heavy lifting "Sony poached Sega senior executives, including Kalinske's second-in-command Steve Race, to develop the Sony PlayStation. Sega moved forward on its own with the Saturn and Kalinske didn't believe the system would succeed" Article
That was long before Sega shutdown and was caused by Sega turning down the work they had already started with Sony.

Clearly they believed in what they were making.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Introducing the Samsung Galaxy game station.

Game station (digital)
Game station+ (BD drive model)
Game station Ultra (Pro model)

😁

PS: In all seriousness now, people keep mentioning Apple and Valve as future companies that could step up if one of the big ones goes down but...I don't know, I always felt that Samsung would be the one to actually do it if need arises...

They have the money, they produce...everything, from vacuum cleaners to phones and TVs and, they also have a store ready (galaxy store), they have the brand recognition (even my granny knows what a "Samsung" is).
Apple is content with where they're at, I don't personally think that they feel the need of having to fill this specific "void ", Valve could be a big "maybe" but Samsung...
Valve has been a gaming company since their inception and Apple is expressing interest in gaming to such an extent they got Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed on iphone.

Samsung outright doesn't seem like they give a shit.

Pejo

Gold Member
Gaming Crash! Gaming Crash! Gaming Crash!
walmart chant GIF

And then reset it back to when games didn't take 8 years and 200 million to make.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Game station (digital)

😁

PS: In all seriousness now, people keep mentioning Apple and Valve as future companies that could step up if one of the big ones goes down but...I don't know, I always felt that Samsung would be the one to actually do it if need arises...

They have the money, they produce...everything, from vacuum cleaners to phones and TVs and, they also have a store ready (galaxy store), they have the brand recognition (even my granny knows what a "Samsung" is).
Apple is content with where they're at, I don't personally think that they feel the need of having to fill this specific "void ", Valve could be a big "maybe" but Samsung...

Samsung over Valve is crazy. Valve already has a library of over 50k games and 120M active users. Also Proton is incredible and allows them to do everything they would need to do on Linux. Samsung would be starting from nothing.

They can get fucked if buying all of Bethesda, Obsidian and Ninja Theory only to exit gaming and then what? Sell them to Embracer?

More likely to happen is they renege on their day 1 on gamepass promise. Have a 6 month lag to get people to buy their fp again. If the quality is there, nobody would care that they have to buy games again for xbox.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Valve? My brother in christ they already fucked up with Steam machines, they already went all-digital (which has people pissing and moaning at the mere suggestion).
All Digital didn't stop PC from dominating. Steam Machines failure were more than just all digital, such as a weird controller, Linux being underdeveloped and all the different manufacturers at the time.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They can get fucked if buying all of Bethesda, Obsidian and Ninja Theory only to exit gaming and then what? Sell them to Embracer?

More likely to happen is they renege on their day 1 on gamepass promise. Have a 6 month lag to get people to buy their fp again. If the quality is there, nobody would care that they have to buy games again for xbox.
I wonder if John Carmack would buy back ID Software.

Del_X

All Digital didn't stop PC from dominating. Steam Machines failure were more than just all digital, such as a weird controller, Linux being underdeveloped and all the different manufacturers at the time.

Yeah I tend to agree. I don't think any next gen console will ship with a disc drive (except Nintendo via cartridges).

violence

This was said in court so they are just navigating the system. Saying what they need to say.

Valve has been a gaming company since their inception and Apple is expressing interest in gaming to such an extent they got Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed on iphone.

Samsung outright doesn't seem like they give a shit.

I know man and you're right, it's just that I always had this weird/silly feeling, just expressing a thought here 😉

Gaming on apple devices, IMO (Resi4 etc), will be restricted to their already existing devices/ecosystem, maybe they're wetting their toes, maybe they just want people to play AAA games on their iPads/iPhones (making money in the process) - I was talking exclusively about a "proper" console from a new "challenger"...

I guess we'll have to wait and see, cheers

Gojiira

Banned
You guys will rejoice but really it will suck as no one else will step up. The days of getting in the industry as a platform holder are over. It will only fast track apple and google.
And Apple actually deserves a chance, they just might deliver a good console experience. You don’t know.
MS are a shite company, obsessed with control,dominance and monopolisation, they deserve to be gone.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Personally i don't really like the idea of any big tech company getting into the console market. Mostly because it loses that special feeling & can easily lead to another Xbox situation.

Sony had nothing before Playstation and are basically a gaming company at this point, and Nintendo dedicated their entire company to gaming. Sega, as well.
having some big tech conglomerate who've dominated in other industries in the past suddenly join in and try to act like one of the bros doesn't sit right with me. especially since there's nothing stopping them from using their insane wealth and money to fuck the gaming market over for the worse. That's why i'm really partial to Valve getting into this as they're basically all gaming and seem to be the most pro consumer gaming company out there.

Last edited:

Del_X

And Apple actually deserves a chance, they just might deliver a good console experience. You don’t know.
MS are a shite company, obsessed with control,dominance and monopolisation, they deserve to be gone.
uh...

EDIT: FWIW I do think Apple would make an interesting game machine. They clearly have the tools and the hardware that would make porting to something ARM-based feasible. I just don't see how Apple isn't all of those things.

Last edited:

Fabieter

1. Yep
2. Arrogant Sony would go super arrogant. +$20 to psn is only the beginning.
3. Nintendo is the wild card. They're highly unpredictable. Anything remotely popular can sell millions if the install-base is large enough.
4. It's always been the superior choice.

Sony Nintendo and MS should merge.
Stop being greedy and give what the players want.
Kinda like PC. Or just put all games on PC. Call it a day.

Only fanboys would want nintendo be bought by xbox

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Apple would probably be the closest to a console experience as they would tie their service to their devices for now at least. Possibly a appletv will have a great Axx chip in it in the future. But they would still be mainly a service across multiple devices, but really isn’t PlayStation and Xbox doing that now with cross gen and pro consoles? 🤷‍♂️

Why are we acting like this is some revolutionary statement. Microsoft is a BUSINESS if they are spending money left and right on Gamepass games to the tunes of billions of dollars the install base needs to explode. Id be saying the same thing in this situation its just the plain truth.

However Microsoft betting their entire business on GAMEPASS is a bad idea. There is no need for it.
Yeah but Phil only got that 69 B ( and more) by promising Nuttela he can get pivot xbox to a subcription model. Ride or die baby.

Del_X

I said here many times. Microsoft wants to monopolize this industry to enforce cloud and renting. If u support this model and it is the future u want as a gamer subscribe to gamepass.

Yeah I'm gonna do the "sony too" shit but they bought an entire cloud streaming company, only offer a lot of BC via streaming, and are forcing subscription paypig behavior for everything. They just like MSFT taking the heat for now.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
they're not sinless either. They turn their fans into complete cultish idiots, create a walled garden and ask thousands of dollars for their products. oppose right to repair in every scenario, killed the headphone jack, fucked over laptop ports in general, stigmatize android through lack of Imessage and green fucking bubbles, the works. I'd never buy one of their consoles, computers, tablets, watches or phones for this reason.

But the difference is that Apple is fucking smart. They do this shit on purpose and are capable of writing extremely efficient software and hardware. I can imagine that under their umbrella, studios would be put under even higher quality control than Sony. They aren't obsessed with monopolization and trying to buy up the industry. I can imagine the people at apple understand far better what makes a console sell than Microsoft did in the past 10 years. At least, i hope.

Drew1440

Game station (digital)

😁

Except they already did that with the Samsung Saturn

qDjBOW5.jpg

Honestly if another company was to release a console, it would be either Apple or Lenovo.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I guess Gamepass can potentially kill Xbox after all. All this nonsense over xs being the fastest selling console clearly doesn’t matter to Microsoft unless their subscribers increase. They don’t care about the people who invested $500 in their eco system on the promise of games to come. They just care about these people continuing to pay them $10 a month.

Lame.

Del_X

they're not sinless either. They turn their fans into complete cultish idiots, create a walled garden and ask thousands of dollars for their products. oppose right to repair in every scenario, killed the headphone jack, fucked over laptop ports in general, stigmatize android through lack of Imessage and green fucking bubbles, the works. I'd never buy one of their consoles, computers, tablets, watches or phones for this reason.

But the difference is that Apple is fucking smart. They do this shit on purpose and are capable of writing extremely efficient software and hardware. I can imagine that under their umbrella, studios would be put under even higher quality control than Sony. They aren't obsessed with monopolization and trying to buy up the industry. I can imagine the people at apple understand far better what makes a console sell than Microsoft did in the past 10 years. At least, i hope.

They're usually good but god damned that 2016-2020 macbook pro was garbage. And a lot of their peripherals have been complete trash. I use a mix of apple products and other stuff. They'd do well in gaming but they sure as hell would not be selling hardware at cost. I'd imagine they'd expect some way to command a decent margin at launch and also have frequent upgrade cycles.

Gojiira

Banned
uh...

EDIT: FWIW I do think Apple would make an interesting game machine. They clearly have the tools and the hardware that would make porting to something ARM-based feasible. I just don't see how Apple isn't all of those things.
Opinions….I dont agree, MS is worse than Apple in every way.
Thing is as a competitor in the gaming space would Apple follow MS’ example and simply try to buy out the industry and shadily undercut the competition? Who knows, maybe they would, but the fact is they havent had a chance yet. So atm they are a step up from Xbox. If they followed the same path I would be just as critical of them too…

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo, SIE, and Valve are the three pillars. Don't buy the horseshit about Xbox being the only competition and we need them so bad. They are nothing but a liability.
Sony was competition.
Sega was competition.
Fucking Intellivision was competition.

Buying shit up is not competition.

There's a difference between what MS did and what Sony and Sega did. Xbox wasn't competing and it's showed because Sony and Nintendo have both had their fair share of hubris and ego despite the "competition" being there to straighten them up. Mainly because they sold a fuckton more than the 'competition'

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Except they already did that with the Samsung Saturn

qDjBOW5.jpg

Honestly if another company was to release a console, it would be either Apple or Lenovo.

It’s already happening right infront of our noses. Apple is slowly going down that path. They are in no hurry as the already are the largest money maker as it is. Phones are getting to be basically mobile consoles / pc’s and starting with the iPhone 15 they have the technology to turn them into full on consoles if they wanted to.

I can see your phone being your gaming console as well in a few more years. Bigger storage and a home dock that connects to tv/monitor and mouse keyboard.

Apple gets that yummy 30% income off every sale and owns the phone and gaming markets!!

Last edited:

unlurkified

I mean, sure. Valve could easily step in and replace MS, do a far better job too.

And if no one steps up, no biggie. Sony, Nintendo, PC offers enough choice as is.
No, it’s a biggie if MS bows out. You could then expect a PS6 that doesn’t really have to try to innovate or push the boundaries and come in at $100+ more than they would have charged. It would be the opposite of a’win’ for Sony fans.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No, it’s a biggie if MS bows out. You could then expect a PS6 that doesn’t really have to try to innovate or push the boundaries and come in at $100+ more than they would have charged. It would be the opposite of a’win’ for Sony fans.
Nintendo Switch 2 rumored to have PS4 quality power and DLSS/Nvidia RT backing them up. Sony would never.
Valve too would come in hot with the Steam Deck 2.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Thing is as a competitor in the gaming space would Apple follow MS’ example and simply try to buy out the industry and shadily undercut the competition?
Seems like they're taking their sweet time with it if anything. Super slow on the uptake and desire to bring games to Iphone or Mac.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nintendo Switch 2 rumored to have PS4 quality power and DLSS/Nvidia RT backing them up. Sony would never.
Valve too would come in hot with the Steam Deck 2.
Wow ps4 levels lol. If i wanted ps4 level i play my ps4. Until they release a home console in comparable power then i don't care. I have zero interest in hand held gaming.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You guys will rejoice but really it will suck as no one else will step up. The days of getting in the industry as a platform holder are over. It will only fast track apple and google.
Hear me out. You're essentially saying that we should be more worried about what Apple or Google might do but Xbox currently doing what Apple & Google might do is a good thing because Xbox is "stepping up."

MS is a trash company and a gadfly. I have no issues with Xbox consoles or their software library but screw MS. Benefit of the doubt is gone at this point.

Worst thing about this is that the leak shows a sequel to Ghostwire and that's like the one game that'd get me to buy an Xbox device. 🥹🫠

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wow ps4 levels lol. If i wanted ps4 level i play my ps4. Until they release a home console in comparable power then i don't care. I have zero interest in hand held gaming.
The fun part about the Nintendo Switch is that it's a handheld that's easily dockable to a TV. a "hybrid", as marketing calls it.
Don't have to play it in handheld at all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I guess Gamepass can potentially kill Xbox after all. All this nonsense over xs being the fastest selling console clearly doesn’t matter to Microsoft unless their subscribers increase. They don’t care about the people who invested $500 in their eco system on the promise of games to come. They just care about these people continuing to pay them $10 a month.

Lame.
Been saying this. Why do you think they created that low powered fire sale box and push far more out there at the expense of their power narrative users.

Top Bottom