• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Play Anywhere |OT| - Have you found Phil's Loophole?

Synth

I'm not sure how. There's no mechanism for device-bound licenses on Windows.

After some digging, I think what you're experiencing seems to be specific to Minecraft (and maybe some other WS games that support guest accounts).

From what I understand there is some form of device-binding, similar in a way to how an Office 365 sub allows you to use the software on up to 5 different devices. Windows 10 apps are allowed to be used on up to 10 different devices., and this seems to include Xbox games at present. The games are still linked to the owner's account also (which is why you need to sign into the store as the owner to pull it), but that account doesn't need to also be the current login for the OS or Xbox Live, else you would never be able to play them as anyone other than that user (which would be a disaster for Windows Apps on a shared PC).

If you're willing to give me some time, I don't mind freeing some space on my Surface, and running some tests as to what situations do and don't work.

If i buy the games on my PC and get a Scorpio later will they be there for me to download? It's all tied to my account right?

For Play Anywhere titles, yes. This does not include games that are on both platforms, but not Play Anywhere (Gears Ultimate, Ori, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc).

If you're willing to give me some time, I don't mind freeing some space on my Surface, and running some tests as to what situations do and don't work.

Sure, no rush. I hope you're right.

..but that account doesn't need to also be the current login for the OS or Xbox Live, else you would never be able to play them as anyone other than that user (which would be a disaster for Windows Apps on a shared PC).

It does need to be the current login for Xbox Live.

Synth

It does need to be the current login for Xbox Live.

It certainly doesn't in general. It may be different for Killer Instinct (which is currently downloading slowly), as the crossbuy works by looking at the Xbox Live account to see which characters to give you. You can't play using the same Xbox Live account on two different devices, either on console or PC. If you're trying to, then that explains why it's trying to kick you out of one.

I've just quickly pulled down ilomilo onto my Surface and have it up and running with a secondary Xbox Live a account (not the one I bought it with). All I needed to do was sign into the store with the other account (the one I did buy it with). Will let you know how I get on with KI later.

I noticed reading through the Quantum Break FAQ that you can have it installed on up to 10 devices, so in theory you could be playing the game concurrently on those PCs.

The thing with QB is that you don't have to connect to Live. KI is a bit of an odd case. It'll be interesting to see how it works with Forza Horizon 3.

Synth

I noticed reading through the Quantum Break FAQ that you can have it installed on up to 10 devices, so in theory you could be playing the game concurrently on those PCs.

The thing with QB is that you don't have to connect to Live. KI is a bit of an odd case. It'll be interesting to see how it works with Forza Horizon 3.

Yea, that's basically what I'm trying to describe atm. You can pull the game down 10 times, onto 10 different machines, and apparently you can run it on all 10 of these at once... what you can't do however, is be playing as YOU online in more than one place (the moment you sign in elsewhere, you'll get booted off Live on the first device). But if you follow the instructions in the link Zedox posted, you will find that you don't need to be playing as you on each of these 10 devices. It only needed to be installed by you. In a family consisting of Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde... if Clyde buys all the games, Inky, Blinky and Pinky can all play them too as long as they all download using Clyde's account on the store. They don't have to play using Clyde's account (or saves and all that comes with it) on Xbox Live.

EDIT: My god this is slow... I'm only at 7gb of 27gb for Killer Instinct so far.

Yea, that's basically what I'm trying to describe atm. You can pull the game down 10 times, onto 10 different machines, and apparently you can run it on all 10 of these at once... what you can't do however, is be playing as YOU online in more than one place (the moment you sign in elsewhere, you'll get booted off Live on the first device). But if you follow the instructions in the link Zedox posted, you will find that you don't need to be playing as you on each of these 10 devices. It only needed to be installed by you. In a family consisting of Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde... if Clyde buys all the games, Inky, Blinky and Pinky can all play them too as long as they all download using Clyde's account on the store. They don't have to play using Clyde's account (or saves and all that comes with it) on Xbox Live.

EDIT: My god this is slow... I'm only at 7gb of 27gb for Killer Instinct so far.

All right! Thanks. I'm going to mess around with this tonight.

KI is the only relevant game I have right now, but since the DLC is shared across accounts on Xbox (unlike Forza VIP), I'm hoping it'll work.

Synth

All right! Thanks. I'm going to mess around with this tonight.

KI is the only relevant game I have right now, but since the DLC is shared across accounts on Xbox (unlike Forza VIP), I'm hoping it'll work.

Bad news. It doesn't seem like Killer Instinct is shareable (or at least, not the characters you inherit from already owning the XB1 version). This is because as far as the Windows 10 license is concerned, you don't own the season passes. Here's my store page for KI for example, showing that it wants me to buy the seasons still, despite owning them already on Xbox One.

KI_zpstg9off80.png

So, when I start playing on my other account, this is the state the game is in. When you load it up, it goes to sync your save and stuff with the Xbox version, and at this point it also asks what characters you should have. If you're playing using your main account at this point, it'll find all the ones you've bought. If you're playing using any other account however, it isn't going to find shit, because you didn't buy the characters with that account.

I think the OP should be updated to remove Killer Instinct as a play anywhere title, as having bought the characters on Xbox doesn't actually provide you with the equivalent license on Windows. Instead you're grandfathered in to those characters based on your Xbox Live account, which is working similar to being given Forza VIP, or a Halo REQ pack, etc... it's only for the account that actually purchased it.

I don't want to buy one of the Windows 10 packs for comfirmation, but I'm pretty confident that if I were to, then those characters would then be playable by any other account using my Windows 10 store account.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that... seeing as they're still labelled as "in-app purchases" I have no idea how it would treat them.
EDIT 2: That screenshot is meaningless actually, as that never changes even if you do buy them... However, buying the skin packs in Minecraft does allow me to use them on other accounts, so it should work.

Yeah, didn't work for me either. I also show as not having paid for the season passes even though I purchased them on Xbox.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait until FH3 to see. Not too worried about the VIP pass, but I hope the car DLC works on W10 as it does on Xbox.

RedStep

One thing to note if any are planning to use the family sharing (or just device installs) for super-game-sharing: I have Killer Instinct installed on both my XBO and W10 PC and if both are running at the same time I get a popup on both asking which device to allow to play it. It won't allow two at once, at least on two devices. It works well for what it is, but it "checks in" more than say an iPhone or similar app store does. No idea how being offline affects that though, never tried it.

SOR5

Playground Games creative director Ralph Fulton and director of program management for Xbox Mike Ybarra answer the big questions about how devs can get their games running across Xbox One and PC

How easy is it for developers to incorporate Play Anywhere/cross-play?

Ralph Fulton, creative director, Playground Games: It’s actually very easy. UWP is a great help with this. Because we’re using a single service – Xbox Live – and a single API, the code is almost identical between Xbox and Windows 10 versions. This makes it much cleaner and easier to write the code in the first place, and it’s then easier to maintain.

What must devs bear in mind when developing games for both Xbox One and PC?

Fulton: Variable frame rate is something to bear in mind – PCs don’t always run at a consistent frame rate and it often differs a lot from the console frame rate. So a lot of testing is required to make sure everything behaves well together.

Specifically, what can devs do to account for the difference in control schemes (mouse and keyboard versus controller) between the two platforms?

Fulton: In Forza Horizon 3 (pictured) we support controllers and racing wheels on both Xbox One and Windows 10, so the only unique control scheme is mouse and keyboard on PC. We support keyboard controls for driving if the player wishes to play that way, but the biggest consideration was how our UI would work with mouse and keyboard, as well as with controller.

We’ve implemented a system where the UI automatically reconfigures itself depending on the control device you’re using. We’ve made sure that every screen in the UI does not rely on using up/down on the sticks, and allows for the different properties of mouse control. For instance, we’ve added rollover states to some UI elements where they aren’t required by controllers.

How has Xbox supported your incorporation of this feature?

Fulton: The platform APIs have been very helpful to make sure the runtime is consistent between platforms. Microsoft have made a great decision to create their API from the API that is used for games on console, which has really paid off.

Is there any concern the need to maintain parity of performance on both platforms could hold back graphical fidelity on PC?

Fulton: There are plenty of ways that graphical fidelity can be tuned to suit all platforms while maintaining good performance on each. We’re able to generate assets that automatically scale to cater for high end PC settings; for example, higher-res textures, better quality materials and increased draw distances. We have managed to do this whilst making sure the gameplay features and physical layout of our open world is identical across all platforms, so the experience will be not be compromised for anyone.

"A lot of testing is required to make sure everything behaves well together."

Ralph Fulton, Playground Games

What are the future plans for Play Anywhere and cross-play?

Mike Ybarra, director of program management for Xbox, Microsoft: Xbox Play Anywhere and cross-play are two distinct features with different, yet very valuable benefits for Xbox gamers.

Xbox Play Anywhere will deliver greater value to gamers who will now be able to enjoy their favorite games no matter where they are because Xbox Play Anywhere titles give game owners the digital copy of their game on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC. This also comes with cloud saves, shared progress and shared achievements – all made possible by Xbox Live. For developers, we believe this will challenge them to create better game experiences and encourage new gameplay features for both Windows 10 and Xbox One platforms.

Cross-play is a unique benefit that is not part of Xbox Play Anywhere; it can be applied to any game and is the ability for gamers to play together in the same game across devices – enabled by Xbox Live. For example, now Minecraft players on iOS, Android, Windows 10 phone and Windows 10 devices can all join together in cross-device multiplayer fun. What’s more, Minecraft players also have access to their own persistent world multiplayer servers through the Realms subscription service.

Many Xbox Play Anywhere games will also support cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10 – including Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves and Scalebound – thereby expanding the community of gamers to play with.

What types of game are most suitable for Play Anywhere and cross-play? Is it worth every game including the features?

Ybarra: Our goal is to make as many titles as possible Xbox Play Anywhere. There’s not a set formula for what makes a game suitable for Xbox Play Anywhere – for us it’s all about giving developers and studios choice in how they publish their games, and that gives gamers choice in where and how they play their games.

Like music, movies and TV have done for years, we believe you should have the freedom to buy a game and play it on the device you choose, wherever you are. Cross-play is a different proposition with different benefits. It’s a feature-add for games that use online multiplayer and we’re excited to see more developers cross-play for their games. The result is more people to play together and have fun online.

How many developers are already adding these features?

Ybarra: Our goal is to make as many Xbox titles as possible Xbox Play Anywhere as we believe it will provide developers with the choice to open up new gameplay features for their customers. We’re working closely with our developers and partners, and will have more to share in the future.

How are you reaching out to new devs to get more using these features?

Ybarra: With Xbox Play Anywhere, we believe that by expanding the Xbox ecosystem to include Windows 10 devices, it will create a bigger community of gamers to play with on Xbox Live, which in turn attracts more developers who create even more great games.

We’re talking to a lot of developers and are energized by the responses we’ve seen to date, including a number of ID@Xbox titles who plan to participate once their games are available on both Xbox One and in the Windows Store, including Ark: Survival Evolved, Cuphead, We Happy Few and more.

We’re continuing to work with developers to make as many Xbox titles as possible Xbox Play Anywhere. We’re also discussing with more devs cross-play and are excited about more games adding the feature.

SOR5

One thing to note if any are planning to use the family sharing (or just device installs) for super-game-sharing: I have Killer Instinct installed on both my XBO and W10 PC and if both are running at the same time I get a popup on both asking which device to allow to play it. It won't allow two at once, at least on two devices. It works well for what it is, but it "checks in" more than say an iPhone or similar app store does. No idea how being offline affects that though, never tried it.

Are you able to play on two PC's at the same time or two Xbox's at the same time though

RedStep

Are you able to play on two PC's at the same time or two Xbox's at the same time though

On PC you can be logged into multiple devices at the same time (for general use). I haven't tried playing games at the same time yet on 2 PCs. On Xbox it logs you out of any other devices when you log into another, so that's pretty standard.

On the PC side the "check" when running an app is new, as far as I can tell any Windows 10 app can be run on multiple devices at once except cross-buy/cross-play games. We'll have to see if other concepts like the "Home Device" that we have on Xbox will apply or have a similar concept on PC.

The one downside seems to be that even Digital versions from Best Buy and Amazon don't get their usual respective discounts from GCU or Prime... Feels bad man.

SOR5

On PC you can be logged into multiple devices at the same time (for general use). I haven't tried playing games at the same time yet on 2 PCs. On Xbox it logs you out of any other devices when you log into another, so that's pretty standard.

On the PC side the "check" when running an app is new, as far as I can tell any Windows 10 app can be run on multiple devices at once except cross-buy/cross-play games. We'll have to see if other concepts like the "Home Device" that we have on Xbox will apply or have a similar concept on PC.

Damn speedy reply, thanks

Backlogger

The one downside seems to be that even Digital versions from Best Buy and Amazon don't get their usual respective discounts from GCU or Prime... Feels bad man.

Yeah bummer. I plan on going all in on play anywhere titles---but will have to probably wait for sales for better pricing

Gowans

I'll update the OP later today but add another to the list

5E9wrtJ.jpg

Coming to STEAM early access, Windows 10 store early access (Win 10 PC and Xbox One) and GOG early access on September 14th

EVERSPACE will launch for $29.99 / €27.99 / £22.99 and will cost $39.99 / €36.99 / £29.99 when it hits full release.

Hamburg-based indie studio ROCKFISH Games announces that its debut title EVERSPACE will hit digital shelves on Steam, Xbox Store, Windows Store and GOG.com on September 14. The fast-paced roguelike space shooter recently hit closed Beta status with 10,000 paid testers already playing the game intensively. EVERSPACE is also the most funded German video game on Kickstarter: combined with the financing from the official website, over $750,000 US have been raised as of today. It will be the very first title coming to Xbox Preview Program on Windows 10 and will support Xbox Play Anywhere featuring cross-saves and buy once, play anywhere.

"We are very excited to kick-off the Xbox Preview Program for Windows 10 with the highly anticipated roguelike space shooter EVERSPACE," said Chris Charla, Director ID@Xbox at Microsoft. "With its fast-paced gameplay and its stunning visuals it plays great on PC and Xbox One, making it a perfect game for Xbox Play Anywhere."

As the game is still in development, EVERSPACE will be launched through Early Access, Xbox Preview Program and Games in Development and will constantly be updated. For the launch, a challenging showdown will be added to the final sector, which players can try to conquer after they have beaten the first six sectors. Later this year, two additional player ships with individual characteristics and different starting gear will be added, as well. The full release is scheduled for Q1 2017 and will feature a fully voice-acted non-linear story with several thoughtfully designed characters and situation-based events, as well as the Hardcore Mode and full VR support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

“Almost exactly a year ago, we launched the Kickstarter campaign for EVERSPACE and it has been an incredible ride. Over 15,000 backers from all over the world supported us to be able to make our dream come true, and we couldn’t be more thankful and excited to finally release EVERSPACE on Steam Early Access, Xbox Preview Program and GOG Games in Development,” says Michael Schade, CEO and co-founder of ROCKFISH Games. “As all the programs’ names hint, there is still a lot to do for us, and we look forward to working together with our fans and our partners to deliver on our full promise to make EVERSPACE the best roguelike space shooter ever.”

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvpLe-2ijk

Zedox

deadman69

this program seems very america focused (like most things xbox), with their digital and physical prices being more or less the same, but in europe and the UK, pc only players are gunna have to pay more than xbox players have to when they have access to cheaper physical prices. £50/€70 are not attractive prices for a pc game.

Zedox

this program seems very america focused (like most things xbox), with their digital and physical prices being more or less the same, but in europe and the UK, pc only players are gunna have to pay more than xbox players have to when they have access to cheaper physical prices. £50/€70 are not attractive prices for a pc game.

Well, this program is only for digital games.

Lima

It's your fault if you pay those prices. You can freely change regions and use every marketplace from around the world. Buy from countries like Russia, Singapore etc. and you will often end up at a better price than what even GMG and the like offer, only that you get the game on both Xbox and PC.

Just to double double check. The whole xbox play anywhere thing, it's not pre-order only anymore, like the QB? It doesn't disappear on release day?

Just to double double check. The whole xbox play anywhere thing, it's not pre-order only anymore, like the QB? It doesn't disappear on release day?
I think the quantum break thing was more like a bundle deal and not cross play while true cross play is giving your account both licences all the time when you buy then.

Grimalkin

I apologize if this has already been asked, but will we be able to play the PC versions of Play Anywhere games with people that only have an Xbox?

My friend only has a Xbox One and I only have a PC. Will we be able to play Gears 4 together?

Probably not... but I can't find a definite answer. I found this article about MS allowing the possibility but nothing that says, "Yep, you can do that with our Play Anywhere games."

SOR5

I apologize if this has already been asked, but will we be able to play the PC versions of Play Anywhere games with people that only have an Xbox?

My friend only has a Xbox One and I only have a PC. Will we be able to play Gears 4 together?

Probably not... but I can't find a definite answer. I found this article about MS allowing the possibility but nothing that says, "Yep, you can do that with our Play Anywhere games."

You CAN, but its a case by case thing

For example, Gears 4 will only have co-op stuff together right now but KI works back to back

Granjinha

You mean cross-play? Cause if so, yes you can.

Gears doesn't allow competitive cross-play MP, though. But all it's co-op modes (including horde) you can. Games where you get the advantage with K/M won't allow competitive cross-play (for obvious reasons), the rest is okay, though

Strider

It's dependent on the game. Some games, like killer instinct and Forza Horizon 3, will have full cross play.

Gears 4 I think will have cross-play for horde mode and co-op campign... But cross play will be disabled in any competitive PvP mode.

Shantom

How can I actually get my Xbox account to link with Windows 10? My Xbox account isn't tied to an Outlook/Hotmail email so when I try to log in on the W10 store I get told my email address isn't supported. I'm able to log in to the Xbox app, and I've been able to earn achievements from W10 games on my normal account, but there seems to be no way for me to convince the W10 store that I actually own Forza Horizon 3.

Zedox

How can I actually get my Xbox account to link with Windows 10? My Xbox account isn't tied to an Outlook/Hotmail email so when I try to log in on the W10 store I get told my email address isn't supported. I'm able to log in to the Xbox app, and I've been able to earn achievements from W10 games on my normal account, but there seems to be no way for me to convince the W10 store that I actually own Forza Horizon 3.

Make sure you have the Anniversary Update (winkey -> "winver" and verify your version is 1607). If you don't have that update, it may be your issue (Do this first before trying the other things).

1. Go to account.microsoft.com, sign-in with your xbox credentials. If you have issues with that, go to account.xbox.com, sign in (it should be the same page really) and click on the profile picture and click "Microsoft Account" it will show you your information.
2. Click on "Your Info"
3. Click on "Manage how you sign-in"
4. Look at the email that is associated with your account (It should be the same one you used to sign in with).
5. Click on "Add email" to account alias and add whatever email you have. Making a Microsoft account isn't beholden to a outlook/Hotmail account, it just makes one for you under the alias of that email.

All the above steps do is let you add another email but it lets you look at your account information. Like I said earlier, make sure you are running the anniversary update.

bede-x

Where are you supposed to locate a Play Anywhere title, when you've bought a game on one system and want to find it on another?

I bought Gears 4 digitally and it is now downloading on Xbox:

Where do I find it on PC? In the my games section of the Xbox app there's no Gears 4:

In the Windows store Microsoft is giving me the option of buying it again:

I have the Anniversary Update installed and the game is downloading on Xbox, but how do I get access to the PC version?

Top Bottom