• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Play Anywhere |OT| - Have you found Phil's Loophole?

Gowans

XPA is getting better. Love it.
I wonder if they've made the tools pretty easy for the devs to spin it out, especially now with all the guys who are self publishing jumping on, it's almost standing out with the ID@Xbox guys that are coming to PC that choose not too.

I wonder if there is experimenting going on with these 'coming to play Anywhere' after launch to try and get best of both worlds with sales on Xbox and steam.

Hopefully they can get the ball rolling with big publishers.

Nice, makes the choice of which version to buy simple for me. Why wouldn't I choose a copy that is playable across my 2 gaming PCs, my Xbox One and future Scorpio?

Raide

Nice, makes the choice of which version to buy simple for me. Why wouldn't I choose a copy that is playable across my 2 gaming PCs, my Xbox One and future Scorpio?

I guess that's what MS are banking on. I like the idea so far, just need more and more titles.

Lichter

Same here (though I won't buy a Scorpio), now buying an indie game on my PS4 is almost completely out of the question (unless it's exclusive). I only have to choose between the Switch version or the XPA version (portability vs performance for XPA).

Zedox

I really think MS is going to announce a good number of XPA AAA 3rd party titles at E3.

They just need:
Madden
NBA2K18
MvC:Infinite
Destiny 2 (would be 2nd biggest get to the next one)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Highly unlikely but would be biggest get)
Call of Duty (I think they may do XPA after looking at the sales of the WS version of IW)

I think getting those games on XPA would drive a lot of digital sales (which pubs want). Looking forward to E3.

I really think MS is going to announce a good number of XPA AAA 3rd party titles at E3.

They just need:
Madden
NBA2K18
MvC:Infinite
Destiny 2 (would be 2nd biggest get to the next one)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Highly unlikely but would be biggest get)
Call of Duty (I think they may do XPA after looking at the sales of the WS version of IW)

I think getting those games on XPA would drive a lot of digital sales (which pubs want). Looking forward to E3.
Madden usually skips PC so that would be a big get

I agree though. Wouldn't be surprised if we see bigger games like Shadow of War more often.

D3VI0US

I think it does the opposite actually and totally cannibalizes sales. It's great for consumers, saves me from double dipping on titles like Cuphead that I would later buy on sale from Steam. There's no incentive for devs though, it loses them money and sales regardless of how few people are likely to buy on both platforms. That's why I don't see how they incentivize devs to jump on, especially those that have their own PC services like Origin, U Play, Battle.net, etc.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think it does the opposite actually and totally cannibalizes sales. It's great for consumers, saves me from double dipping on titles like Cuphead that I would later buy on sale from Steam. There's no incentive for devs though, it loses them money and sales regardless of how few people are likely to buy on both platforms. That's why I don't see how they incentivize devs to jump on, especially those that have their own PC services like Origin, U Play, Battle.net, etc.

Huh? Play Anywhere is more incentive to buy digital which is what publishers prefer. It's almost an incentive to buy on Xbox over a competing platform.

If you're paying one price to have 2 copies of a game, it seems logical to buy there (assuming multi console ownership).

The number of people who double dip would me minuscule vs the number of people who would buy and/or buy digitally because of PA.

D3VI0US

Huh? Play Anywhere is more incentive to buy digital which is what publishers prefer. It's almost an incentive to buy on Xbox over a competing platform.

If you're paying one price to have 2 copies of a game, it seems logical to buy there (assuming multi console ownership).

Well Play Anywhere isn't an incentive to buy digital because a game doesn't have to be Play Anywhere to be available digitally. It does provide a consumer with an incentive to buy on Xbox over a competing platform, what I was talking about is the incentive for developers and publishers. The consumer pays one price for two copies of the game but does the dev/publisher also have to pay 30% to the Microsoft Store? If that was the case why would any game ever be Play Anywhere? I know UWP ties in somehow too but I don't understand how they are pulling this off as well as they are without moneyhats. Still as an Xbox One owner it kicks ass, I hope they can keep it up and make it better.

Well Play Anywhere isn't an incentive to buy digital because a game doesn't have to be Play Anywhere to be available digitally. It does provide a consumer with an incentive to buy on Xbox over a competing platform, what I was talking about is the incentive for developers and publishers. The consumer pays one price for two copies of the game but does the dev/publisher also have to pay 30% to the Microsoft Store? If that was the case why would any game ever be Play Anywhere? I know UWP ties in somehow too but I don't understand how they are pulling this off as well as they are without moneyhats. Still as an Xbox One owner it kicks ass, I hope they can keep it up and make it better.
In the case of Shadow of War, promise of marketing support. In the case of others, we have heard rumors that MS could be offering more of a cut to devs (instead o taking a hypothetical 30% they take maybe 20). It's also supposedly fairly straight forward to bring the game to Windows Store if already targeting XB1

Gowans

Another Win 10 release that isn't Play Anywhere if Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Tell Tale Series, inline with what they have released to far.

One of my E3 predictions is that a major third party game will be Play Anywhere. We've seen a few already, like RE7 and Shadow of War. The rumor is that the new Assassin's Creed will be marketed by MS, so I wonder if that one will be PA?

Zedox

Jez said EA, Ubi, etc are using UWP, and many were confusing that for XPA, is that what you are thinking of?

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about and yea, they are different. It is good to know that they are using UWP though because if there are two versions, they know it will be a flip of a switch. I think COD games will go XPA just because of how bad that W10 version did with the amount of people...if you are gonna use resources to make the game, you need people to buy it, so they may see how it goes next go 'round. EA is what i'm looking forward to see if they sell Madden as a XPA.

One of my E3 predictions is that a major third party game will be Play Anywhere. We've seen a few already, like RE7 and Shadow of War. The rumor is that the new Assassin's Creed will be marketed by MS, so I wonder if that one will be PA?

I think we'll have more than just 1 third party do it. I think they may say that Madden, AC, and COD will be XPA. Then we'll have their 1st party doing it and indies. I think we'll have a good number of games as XPA and games on the Windows Store by years end.

Hexer06

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about and yea, they are different. It is good to know that they are using UWP though because if there are two versions, they know it will be a flip of a switch. I think COD games will go XPA just because of how bad that W10 version did with the amount of people...if you are gonna use resources to make the game, you need people to buy it, so they may see how it goes next go 'round. EA is what i'm looking forward to see if they sell Madden as a XPA.

I think we'll have more than just 1 third party do it. I think they may say that Madden, AC, and COD will be XPA. Then we'll have their 1st party doing it and indies. I think we'll have a good number of games as XPA and games on the Windows Store by years end.

I don't know about cod going XPA. I can totally see the other 2 doing it since MS has marketing for AC, and EA & MS seem to be working well together with EA Access. I hope you're right tho. I think it will be another E3 where there's a good amount of games being XPA. It's gonna be awesome. :D

D3VI0US

Phil or someone at MS said they don't want controller players going against keyboard and mouse so fps games as Play Anywhere are unlikely unless matchmaking is kept sperate.

Lom1lo

Phil or someone at MS said they don't want controller players going against keyboard and mouse so fps games as Play Anywhere are unlikely unless matchmaking is kept sperate.

yeah, but why dont match players with the same input ? If I play on pc with a controller I want to play against other controller users (xbox and pc)

Jez said EA, Ubi, etc are using UWP, and many were confusing that for XPA, is that what you are thinking of?
No, it wasn't from Jez that I heard, but if he said that I guess I might been a victim of telephone because what I saw said xpa, not just uwp.

I probably saw a tweet from someone that follows him and mixed up.

Zedox

Surprised to see Cities hit the W10 store. Bit disappointed to see that it isn't a XPA title.

Right, I don't think people are gonna buy it from WS on its own. I mean, do they think that market for double dipping Cities is gonna be big enough not to get dual license and just not use DLC stuff to get users? *sigh*

I do hope MS keeps up with XPA and get other 3rd parties on board. I wonder if AC:Origins will have it if they have marketing for it? That will be interesting.

Caayn

Just noticed that the XB1 version, titled "Cities: Skylines - Xbox One Edition", shows up as "Cities: Skylines - Windows 10 Edition" in the achievement list and activity feed.
knipselugu3s.png

Just noticed that the XB1 version, titled "Cities: Skylines - Xbox One Edition", shows up as "Cities: Skylines - Windows 10 Edition" in the achievement list and activity feed.
knipselugu3s.png
Ya it's weird. Both versions share save files and achievement lists...kinda sad they didn't just make it Play Anywhere

D3VI0US

If you can retroactively do this to titles in wondering why things like Abzu are released separately. Like they really think people would double dip for a game like that?

Even if they don't think people will double dip there is still little incentive for them to make the game Play Anywhere as it is likely to have little to no increase in sales either, especially for an older previously released title like Abzu.

Gestault

I thought I heard originally that Resident Evil 7 wouldn't have cross-save between PC and XB1, but from starting my playthrough this past week, it definitely does. That was a nice surprise. Anyone know if there's a native option for 4K on the Windows Store version of RE7? I have my Nvidia settings downsampling from 4K to 1080p, but the in-game resolution option seemed to top out at 1080p. KI gives me no problem doing this.

ABZU was released on Windows 10 today.
Different set of achievements, so I assume there is no cross saves.

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9pnlf7rlzrvv

Wait, is ABZU supposed to be XPA? The listing you linked doesn't seem to say so.

Edit: I may be out of date on this. Can games have cross-saves without being XPA cross-buys?

I thought I heard originally that Resident Evil 7 wouldn't have cross-save between PC and XB1, but from starting my playthrough this past week, it definitely does. That was a nice surprise. Anyone know if there's a native option for 4K on the Windows Store version of RE7? I have my Nvidia settings downsampling from 4K to 1080p, but the in-game resolution option seemed to top out at 1080p. KI gives me no problem doing this.

Wait, is ABZU supposed to be XPA? The listing you linked doesn't seem to say so.

Edit: I may be out of date on this. Can games have cross-saves without being XPA cross-buys?
ABZU is not XPA and does not support cross saves. Some games like Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Cities Skylines support cross saves/achievements, but are not XPA.

Top Bottom