• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Announcing it super early with just some talk about specs definitely does show rushing though, while announcing a slimmer version at the same time.

Sony just confirmed Neo recently but supposedly won't be talked about at E3.

How does it show rushing if it is coming out Holiday 2017? Holiday is by many between October and December, so we are talking 16 months from now. How is that rushing? Based on the comments made in that presentation, they have been planning on this for a while and for them to already say 6tf and the memory bandwidth, it seems like some things are well along the way.

e-gamer

6 Teraflops? Isn't that what the 1070 is putting on the table now? So that means by the time they release Scorpio we'll have new cards from Nvidia that are already more powerful.

We already have! But at 599.

From now I expect that by the launch time they will get some upgrades (minor).

So there's essentially no way this thing is going to be sub 1000 Dollars if the performance really is as promised. So the question really is....why this thing and not just a PC? Unless Scorpio gets Windows 10 as well but then you can wonder how closed of a platform it will be and if it "just" a PC then...well...what's the use?

jmood88

By announcing the Scorpio 18 months in advance Microsoft is essentially telling their customers to hold off and wait for something better.

I really don't follow the logic behind this announcement.
Are you going to stop playing new games for a year and a half?

Five hundred ninety nine US dollars! Most likely, but since it's over a year away it might be cheaper.

I either see Sony delaying Neo to next year with higher specs, or they will release it this year and release a better console later, beginning a trend of both companies constantly one upping each other.

Also, kinda like Spencer said, good bye console generations, hello incremental updates (it only makes sense).

RoKKeR

As Colin M said, this announcement was "artfully done", about the best way I could imagine them talking about it.

Pop

If they can hit $399 by Holiday 2017 this will be great value. 6 tflops is serious business.

4K gaming at that price. No chance. But I believe the cost will be around $500. Games won't run at 4K natively.

thelastword

Banned
Strange that they announced this, Scorpio is so far away, holiday 2017. An 8 core cpu isn't saying much tbh, as they have an 8 core cpu now. Why not a 16 core Zen then?

Rad-

This is so bizarre. Not sure what the console industry is aiming for, but what is the point of putting in all this effort on the XBox One S when you announce a much better console at the end?

Gamers want the best technology, they want the newest technology. All this is doing is dividing the audience, because who is going to want the S model when you can get a newer model a year later?

Price? I'm betting Scorpio will cost like 699 or some crazy shit. Also XO will be like 199-249 at that point.

Yup, kind of what I'm worried about too. We won't be getting new experiences, we'll just be getting the same types with higher resolution.

Like... At what point do they leave the Xbox One behind? What will the landscape look like in 5 years? Seems like they're boxing themselves in here. Really interested in what Sony will do.

Two years after Scorpio/3 after Neo, when Sony launches the PS5 with 8.5 TFLOPS?

MS throwing their hardware under the rug when it's not winning, AGAIN.

This thing sounds awesome but I think it was an absolute terrible idea announcing it this far out. I was interested in a xboneS but knowing this is coming I don't want to invest in that anymore. Could've had my ass get both.

Sinistral

With Microsoft heavily pushing games for both Xbox One and Windows 10. I think now is the best time for any XBox only gamers to look into PC Gaming. You can basically build a scorpio now, and play all the XBox exclusive games and much more. Price is more obviously.

Dragun619

CdNufeJ.png

Man, The guy behind this account is too good. lol

Daft Punk

Banned
To everyone going "GG Sony", someone already posted earlier this week about Sony having multiple spec options for the PS4 Neo with one of the them being beefier than the specs we already know about. The sensible thing is to wait until we get more info for both machines instead of popping corks and celebrating with almost virtually no info.

soxxx

Banned
The existing user base does not explain why you can't make a Scorpio exclusive game if you want to, not why you would or wouldn't want to in the first place. I do not get this eternal cross gen thing. Phones aren't consoles and phones get cut off faster than a six year cycle like consoles are currently on.

At least you see the bigger picture. The way Microsoft is approaching this will not work. They need to move on from X1 or else this will turn into a disaster imo.

eloxx

Sony, update your Neo specs and get a trailer ready for tonight! MS is bringing the heat this go 'round sounds like.

Please! I'm so scared of the NEO beeing inferior. That is a interesting new strategy for Microsoft. Bring it sony! You have to now.

U2NUMB

Excited to get both.. I have 2 Xbox One's right now so planning on trading one in for an S and then pick up a Scorpio next year. Getting their butts handed to them with the X1 as far as specs are concerned obviously hit home and I am glad Phil is leading the charge.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Why are people surprised that there will not be exclusive games for it? How many units could this thing sell prior to fall 2018? Developers need an actual user base to sell to. What a weird, stupid mess.

explain to me in DBZ power levels

It's over 9000.

How does this compare to those 1070/80's and how will these 6 flops affect my wallet since there's so many of them?

Wikipedia says that the 1070 is roughly 6TFLOP in single precision so it sounds like it's somewhere on that level. But, that's just GPU. There's a lot more that goes into the whole system so a 1070 paired with a high end PC CPU etc will be better. It still seems pretty high end to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh I thought this thread said everything will work on xbone and Scorpio. If not then that makes more sense.

Fergie

Banned
How does it show rushing if it is coming out Holiday 2017? Holiday is by many between October and December, so we are talking 16 months from now. How is that rushing? Based on the comments made in that presentation, they have been planning on this for a while and for them to already say 6tf and the memory bandwidth, it seems like some things are well along the way.
They could have just confirmed off the cuff and fully presented it at next E3.

Getting some video and some devs talking about supposed specs is weird to me.

Calling it the most powerful console is such a crazy reversal. All within this gen alone.

Sony loves calling themselves the most powerful. Curious to see if they will let it slide or try to top MS.

To clarify, in terms of power:

Xbox > PS2
PS3 > Xbox 360
PS4 > Xbox 1

Right?

The Pope

So there's essentially no way this thing is going to be sub 1000 Dollars if the performance really is as promised. So the question really is....why this thing and not just a PC? Unless Scorpio gets Windows 10 as well but then you can wonder how closed of a platform it will be and if it "just" a PC then...well...what's the use?
What? This will be 500 absolute max.

Durante

Image and bandwidth spec point to 256 bit GDDR5X IMHO.

Smart of Microsoft to go with the cheap and readily available memory option this time around, but probably a bit outdated at its release compared to the PC high-end. But what else is new.

Also, a lot of straight GFLOP comparisons to PC GPUs are going on again -- if you do that, please at least compare to AMD GPUs. They have a 5.5 TFlop card coming next month for $200, so there's no reason to expect that this system will be out-of-this-world expensive over a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom