• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

If this is in the pricing bracket mainstream gamers accept, i'll eat my own face. More then $400 and i sense it will fail.

I'm inclined to agree. Any higher than that and you're appealing only to gamers who have the disposable income to maintain a high-end PC.

It feels like MS has checked out on the One tbh. The early showing of Scorpio, the focus on Win10. The One's getting the OG Xbox treatment, which is whatevs if they go all in fresh on the Scorpio like they did when they launched the 360. They know they lost this round

Yeah, I was saying this last year too when very few were. it just seemed ultra MS and logical to what they want to do. Xbox in 200 million plus homes. Not that I think it will happen but maybe they figure this too and want to try this new route.

Doesn't work, they will rinse and do some other idea to garner such things.

Feels more like they want the steam of games now

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
They're basically selling steam boxes from here on out then? All consoles they release will play what they make until they're too outdated to play on the lowest setting?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Indead, what is the point of XBOX ONE S when SCORPIO next year?

What's the point of a cheaper model of a mobile phone?

The mobile s will become the new base level system that will sell at a cheaper price point and sell along side the Scorpio in the future, more choice yo.

Neoxon

The PS4 NEO doesn't need to worry. It'll be out earlier, will probably be cheaper, and will have a larger mass-market appeal.

Nintendo should be shitting themselves.
Why? As long as the PS4K isn't allowed to have exclusives, Nintendo shouldn't have to worry. The PS4 is gonna hold the PS4K back, which will hold Scorpio multiplats back.

So the equivalent of a GTX 1070 in Flops and the brandwidth of a GTX 1080. Very interesting. I wonder if MicroSoft will be using an Nvidia GPU this time.

Raven77

I'm not sure what the point of this more powerful update is if all the games have to also run on the less powerful Xbox One standard? We've seen what happens with PC when multiplatform games are released. Most PC games that are also on the current gen are only marginally better visually than the console versions.

Nzyme32

I'm torn. With everything coming out on PC, I don't really have much reason to own my current Xbox one, let alone the Slim or Scorpio. PC seems the way to go ( alas... with optimization issues).

With Vulkan and DX12 around, that situation is likely to improve over the next several years. Certainly not over night, but an ever improving situation

Lothars

They're probably anticipating a Sony reveal and wanted to beat them to the punch and pose themselves as the leaders of innovation, with Sony 'trailing' behind looking like the copycats (when actually I think Neo started sooner right?).

Announcing it so early does put a damper on the current situation but I guess it was worth it to them to create that narrative. The S might be cheaper to produce for them as well, making it beneficial for them in the meantime.

It's a gamble. I wonder how it will play out in the long term.
It's going to play out negatively especially since the xbox brand has taken such a beating. It will hurt sales of current Xbox one S and Xbox One because other than someone with a current interest in xbox. they will wait for the Scorpio.

KooopaKid

Banned
CdNufeJ.png

lol this guy is great

Why do people always forget "optimization" when it comes to consoles? Having to only target 1 (or in this case 2) hardware specs instead of a billion different configurations means so much. I'll always have a high end PC but having a high end console that could be almost as capable is pretty freaking exciting to me.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wikipedia says that the 1070 is roughly 6TFLOP in single precision so it sounds like it's somewhere on that level. But, that's just GPU. There's a lot more that goes into the whole system so a 1070 paired with a high end PC CPU etc will be better. It still seems pretty high end to me.
Ah thanks.

vpance

Amazing.

Being serious for a moment, i wonder if Sony's neo plans got MS to panic and make this announcement. All MS talked about were specs, which is very easy to do, it isn't until we have a machine in our hands that it means anything. This may be MS's attempt to try and kill some attention from the Neo. It is really odd to announce this far ahead of time when you are still trying to sell your current console.

Of course, they were definitely trying to spoil the Neo party.

maxcriden

1) What does forward compatible mean?

2) Will future XB1 games all be playable on Scorpio? (i.e. a Neo or DS Lite situation) Or will there be Scorpio exclusives?

Rad-

To everyone going "GG Sony", someone already posted earlier this week about Sony having multiple spec options for the PS4 Neo with one of the them being beefier than the specs we already know about. The sensible thing is to wait until we get more info for both machines instead of popping corks and celebrating with almost virtually no info.

Would be good if Sony upped their specs now too. Can you imagine two monster spec consoles god damn.

Upinsmoke

Honestly I'm pissed off. I got a Xbox One last Christmas off my partner and so far really enjoyed the offerings.

Now they've announced this Scorpio which I knew was coming anyhow but I was hoping to have an idea what it looked like or the pricing for it.

Plus I can get all these games on my pc, what exactly am I supposed to do with the black box in the corner of the room?

So for the next 18 months minimum I basically don't need my xbox one anymore and if I can't afford a Scorpio on top of a 1070 (more powerful than a Scorpio) and I've got Vive, PSVR and and Neo, what is the point of a console at all by Microsoft? Including the one I own by them.

Honestly I like the exclusivity of being in a console family, Microsoft killed that.

Ripenen

Can someone explain how all the Xbox consoles will play the same games? They kept saying this but it's not clear what it means.

-Is MS going to mandate that all Xbox games release for both One and Scorpio?

-Will the Scorpio games be identical except using higher res assets?

-Will devs have to build and test two different versions of each game?

-Will the two versions share the same achievements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom