• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is saying MS will use RDR2 as a showcase for Scropio on E3, since sony has full marketing rights how are they gonna accomplish that without being able to show any footage of the game during their E3 press conference?

They will trot them on stage and say "True 4K" as many times as possible about any game with marketing deals for Sony (COD, Destiny 2, etc.). Then they will leave stage. Don't need footage for that.

If MS PR can find a loop hole they will murder it as we all know. A feature on Scorpio that is exclusive will likely not be within those "Marketing Deal" rules. Assuming Native 4k is exclusive to Scorpio, then that is the loop hole they will use. Petty but effective.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
i was against the parity clause hard back in the day but honestly over time I understand it and now support it lets go sony gotta keep that parity pro with scorpio

As others have said that doesn't mean MS can't talk about the games and their benefits on Scorpio. They just won't be able to show it until the graphics comparisons

Providing that Rockstar or other 3rd party devs actually put effort into the Scorpio version of their game. Some will of course and I'm sure there will be some great looking games but like the Pro, some games might only get basic support, like a 4k mode, as they still have to support Xbox One and not all devs have lots of resources or time to make big improvements to a game.

Yeah Destiny 1 is an extreme example, typically marketing deals don't seem to prevent other platform holders from promoting stuff through their own channels, just that all official marketing push like TV and internet ads, etc will be tied to the partner.

Eh, when the official PR says

I doubt they'll allow MS to promote how good the game looks on Scorpio, no?

I really doubt they can stop them (or would want to), the game is still coming to their platform.

And I mean stuff like constantly name dropping games in interviews and how good they are expected to run. Not showing the game running on Scorpio on their Youtube channel or whatever, that will be blocked as Sony have paid for that 'privilege'.

RDR2 is the biggest release this year, no way MS wont get the message out (somehow) that it will play best on Scorpio, contrary to Sony's PR. I mean in some respects they wont have to anyway, journalists like Digital Foundry will do the job for them.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
How do you know? Remember when MS fought hard for parity accross third party games even tho ps was stronger and in some cases got the parity?

Receipts.

This is a scenario many wanted to believe was happening, sure.

Daemul

It's amazing how many people still confuse the old Xbox Indie release parity clause for some sort of graphical parity clause.

JlNX

Promo trailers on social channels have never been "blocked" by these deals. See: Sony putting those new Mordor trailers on the PS channel when MS has the exclusive rights, etc. You just can't turn it into a self-promotional tool (ie "Buy Mordor on the PS4 Pro, the most powerful system available now!).

I'm just tired of Jez making assumptions and turning them into non-news stories. You can't really call him out on it since no one really knows what the Scorpio has, but this is the closest its been to being pretty false.

Do we know for a fact that it is that sort of super stringent marketing deal? Destiny 2 is no where near like destiny 1. That red dead redemption post only makes mention of exclusive content just like destiny 2. The platform holder will obviously have the right to show gameplay from it's system when representing the game on it's platform right? so why wouldn't the destiny 2 gameplay trailer on xbox's youtube use scorpio capture.

I think publishers are realising that the destiny 1 style of super stringent marketing doesn't work out best for them, that they would rather do exclusive content and co advertisement. It makes more sense for a publisher to sell ad space for your platform on it's game trailers.
Think about it, with all the marketing red dead and destiny 2 will get that playstation logo at the end and the start is great marketing for the platform. Evidence for this change of mind, Shadow of Mordor has all copies of the game advertised, Destiny 2 has all copies of the game advertised and beta's appear to be at the same time unlike before and Red Dead Redemption 2 all copies of the game marketed and like the others not only are other companies allowed to promote the game on their own platforms but xbox content like this week on xbox and so on openly advertise and talk about them (something that didn't happen with destiny 1.) I think we will continue to see this with a lot of the big releases this year.

Caayn

Ugh... Don't get me started on Playstation/Activision/Bungie's bullshit with 1 year exclusive content crap. 30 days is already bad enough for players on the other platform, let alone a full year.
i was against the parity clause hard back in the day but honestly over time I understand it and now support it lets go sony gotta keep that parity pro with scorpio
I see what you did there &#9754; (<&#8255;<)&#9754;

sangreal

speaking of contract clauses, I noticed in the most recent contract Take Two filed (last month), scorpio is referred to as "Xbox One Scorpio" not project or codename or anything

A. Microsoft or its affiliates provide a family of computer game and entertainment systems, including the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One Scorpio and their successors and variants (collectively, ”Xbox One"), and an associated proprietary online service (”Xbox Live").

could be nothing, who knows

for comparison, this is the same clause from a durango contract ea filed:
A.Microsoft and its affiliated companies develop and license a computer game system known as the Xbox 360. Microsoft is currently developing its successor to the Xbox 360 (”Durango"), which is a next-generation entertainment system, currently known as Durango consisting of a base hardware unit, a Kinect sensor and an associated proprietary online service known as Xbox LIVE.

Sony has the exclusive marketing rights to Red Dead Redemption 2. Which means Jez is 100% full of shit.

If this doesn't confirm that he isn't pulling things out of his ass, nothing will.

Jeez, are you mad at him?

I remember the wording was so tight on GTA V for the PS4 during the stage announce there were questions hanging in the air. At least we know RDR is coming to Xbox.....

How do you know? Remember when MS fought hard for parity accross third party games even tho ps was stronger and in some cases got the parity?

I've never seen anything concrete on that. The only concrete evidence I've seen of parity was back at Ps3 but that was pushed by the publishers themselves that realized that the ps3 version of the games weren't selling and even got bad press with the "lazy devs" when the Ps3 version wasn't close.

JlNX

The most interesting part about what Jez has said today is neither of his articles but his twitter mentioning that there will be news on thursday about project scorpio and not from him. I assume thats means it's from Microsoft or maybe they worked with Eurogamer on a story. More likely Microsoft, which would mean it's could be a invite for that early event Spencer has hinted at or that the upcoming Microsoft hardware event will unveil scorpio.
Like we might actually get are first official information since E3 and people are talking about a news story which is pretty much just a confirmation of information that should be pretty obvious. Should we just go back to talking about dicks again?

Am I wrong or Sony has marketing deals for RDR2 and Battlefront?

yes, but not all marketing deals are the same
destiny or activision in general is very stict

some other aren't
last year battlefront was also sony, and microsoft made the "play first on xbox one statement"
GTA V marketing deal was also not very strict and MS could use that game to showcase it as one of many great third-party games on their platform

edit:
okay i'm late to the party

speaking of contract clauses, I noticed in the most recent contract Take Two filed (last month), scorpio is referred to as "Xbox One Scorpio" not project or codename or anything

very interesting information. thanks for that
especially the "and their successors and variants" part
now they got the right to sell games on every successor, that is still consideres an "Xbox One"

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Maybe this time around Microsoft will use their position as market leader to put an anti-parity clause in place?

So devs have to make sure that the gap between the Pro version and Scorpio version is widened?

Man. Fingers crossed!

I've never seen anything concrete on that. The only concrete evidence I've seen of parity was back at Ps3 but that was pushed by the publishers themselves that realized that the ps3 version of the games weren't selling and even got bad press with the "lazy devs" when the Ps3 version wasn't close.

Well, the Witness did run at 1080p on the Xbox One and only 900p on the PS4 -- I guess that's how Blow got around Phil's clause. :/

I know it was 1080p/30 vs. 900p/60

AmyS

A. Microsoft or its affiliates provide a family of computer game and entertainment systems, including the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One Scorpio and their successors and variants (collectively, ”Xbox One"), and an associated proprietary online service (”Xbox Live").

Xbox Scorpio successors -- Yes!

There will be more Xboxen beyond Scorpio. Microsoft not stopping with Scorpio, more Xbox in the future, as Phil has said a number of times :)

Noine cares about cyberpunk 2077?? MS and cd projrct red have a good relationship.

All these comments sbout rdr2 battlefront. Reach further

Noine cares about cyberpunk 2077?? MS and cd projrct red have a good relationship.

All these comments sbout rdr2 battlefront. Reach further
It's more people don't expect to see it this year. I 100% believe it will be a Scorpio showcase game, but I don't expect to see it until E3 2018. Hope I'm wrong tho!

Same with whatever Bethesda Game Studios next game is. Although unless they've built a new engine it won't be a great showcase title lol

Red Dead 2 in 4K will be impressive. Depends on how they handle it, but with extra memory they should do fine.

I can see Phil Spencer introducing RDR2 in 4K now. "Ladies and gentlemen get ready to cream your jeans! Red dead redemption in native 4K!!!"

*audience goes crazy.

Yeah it really sucks that because of that marketing deal we'll likely only see RDR2 at Sony, if RDR2 is at E3 at all that is. I'd love to see how good it looks and performs on Scorpio. At the same time i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a world of difference between how it looks and performs on Pro and Scorpio. Sure there will be a difference, because there's little to no reason it wouldn't look/perform better on Scorpio, but i doubt it will be like RDR on PS3 and 360, where the difference was quite significant.

Anyway.....so thursday it is? Finally something from MS themselves? Shit yeah!

It's more people don't expect to see it this year. I 100% believe it will be a Scorpio showcase game, but I don't expect to see it until E3 2018. Hope I'm wrong tho!

Same with whatever Bethesda Game Studios next game is. Although unless they've built a new engine it won't be a great showcase title lol

I really wonder if we can expect a new BGS game this year at E3 and potentially releasing this year too. According to MrMattyPlays, who knows his stuff when it comes to BGS there's a big chance the new game will be a sci-fi game called Starfield. It would be sweet if they have a brand new engine, one they could use for TES VI too in a few years from now. I sure as hell hope they don't take insane long with the new IPs, because it only pushes TES VI even further away.

TheScarecrow101

Neo Member
For the Thursday... whatever it is. Announcement or a date for a future Scorpio reveal event. I just hope that they bring strong messaging to the audience. No more calls of needing clarification. State what Scorpio is and what it does. The aggressive and confident Microsoft is what needs to come out of the event. With Phil in charge, I think it will be a blitz of info. They have to avoid the apathy that happened at the PS4Pro reveal.

Thoughts on how they can/will bring excitement that they can build on leading to E3?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Maybe this time around Microsoft will use their position as market leader to put an anti-parity clause in place?

So devs have to make sure that the gap between the Pro version and Scorpio version is widened?

Man. Fingers crossed!
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not..

EdgeXL

They will trot them on stage and say "True 4K" as many times as possible about any game with marketing deals for Sony (COD, Destiny 2, etc.). Then they will leave stage. Don't need footage for that.

If MS PR can find a loop hole they will murder it as we all know. A feature on Scorpio that is exclusive will likely not be within those "Marketing Deal" rules. Assuming Native 4k is exclusive to Scorpio, then that is the loop hole they will use. Petty but effective.

All they would have to do is something like that Destiny fragrance ad. We're not allowed to promote this here game but just so you know, it's in native 4K on Scorpio along with all of these other titles."

Sony has the exclusive marketing rights to Red Dead Redemption 2. Which means Jez is 100% full of shit.

If this doesn't confirm that he isn't pulling things out of his ass, nothing will.

So.... Red Dead Redemption will not be released for Project Scorpio. Check.

Lol at the launch video.

That background music and talking tech specs really sounds wrong.

It's a gaming console aimed at a very specific market not an Apple commercial where their products are targeted to improve many aspects of QoL. Very weird messaging.

Nice specs though. Might pickup once more details/case are announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom