• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

univbee

I think it will be called the Xbox One Elite. They used it before to position a sku as a higher tier.

They already made an Xbox One Elite.

QvLWPcw.jpg

Super Xbox One

Xbox 64
XCube
Xii
XiiU
Xwitch

dancmc

really interesting questions for today's briefing outside of the actual games shown.

Certainly the name will be interesting.. Do they go with just Xbox? Do they keep Xbox One S? Do they add a descriptor to the Xbox One (i.e., Xbox One Elite, etc)? Do they create a new title (Xbox Elite, Xbox Scorpio, MS Scorpio)?

Also, the price will be very telling. If they go $399 or less, then they tell me that they still care about selling actual boxes and that install base of their console is important to their success. If they go >$400, then they are telling me they don't think selling hardware is as critical to their long-term success.

Don't get me wrong, they will always want to sell as many boxes as they can; but their price today will tell me how they have prioritized hardware sales internally.

Jemm

I am so happy that name guessing will be over in a couple of hours haha.
I am sure 50% of the post in this whole topic are about what its gonna be called. :p

Other 50% is price guessing.

They probably need to think how to follow naming after Scorpio, too. They'll run out of plausible names without some numbering logic, if there'll be upgrades more often.

univbee

They don't anymore. It's not an issue

Sure it is, they're still available, just not directly from Microsoft (Amazon has them still, for example). Hell, there are still to this day people out there who think an internet connection is required to play all Xbox One games. Hell, just picture the eBay scammers who would formulate their pages in such a way that people are getting the bundle I pictured instead of the newer system.

And so they rebrand going forward with a spec-bumped Xbox. It's not hard.

Is the Xbox One Elite bundle even sold anymore? Googling it over here just gives me hits for the controller, no bundles.

It's still listed on Amazon in the US and Canada at least due to third party sellers. A link to the Amazon is the 2nd hit I get when I do an online search for "Xbox One Elite", after the controller.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sure it is, they're still available, just not directly from Microsoft (Amazon has them still, for example). Hell, there are still to this day people out there who think an internet connection is required to play all Xbox One games. Hell, just picture the eBay scammers who would formulate their pages in such a way that people are getting the bundle I pictured instead of the newer system.

But the point is that the bundle is getting phased out. It would be a complete non-issue if they wanted to use the Elite name.

And yeah, they are sold through one or two shoddy third party resellers over here too, for a huge markup. but none of the big retail chains carry them and they clearly aren't on shelves.
The market penetration of that bundle was so damn low it would (again) be a non-issue.

univbee

But the point is that the bundle is getting phased out. It would be a complete non-issue if they wanted to use the Elite name.

Elite could be somewhere in the title, I just don't think it could simply be "Xbox One Elite", there'd definitely need to be something more to it than that. Hell, even "Xbox One E" might be a safer bet (or Premium like someone alluded to earlier).

I'm just hoping they keep the name Scorpio and the console to be black with a red scorpion covering part of the front and top of the console.

A man can dream.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm wondering how many games will be announced with the Native 4K bit. I'm gonna guess 15 games.

It's funny last E3 people claimed it was impossible for Microsoft to hit native 4k, but I think that'll change here today.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Xbox 4K makes no sense. They aren't mandating anything resolution-wise and it's likely a lot of games will still end up upscaled over the coming years.

Plus it would reinforce the notion that this thing is really only worthwhile if you own a 4K-capable television. Not many do.

Xbox 4K makes no sense. They aren't mandating anything resolution-wise and it's likely a lot of games will still end up upscaled over the coming years.

Plus it would reinforce the notion that this thing is really only worthwhile if you own a 4K-capable television. Not many do.

Then why have 4k on the chip they keep using to market the console?

Fredrik

^
Xbox One X is perfect, or XBOX for short. If they keep One in there then I hope that's the name for one. Otherwise Xbox Scorpio.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Then why have 4k on the chip they keep using to market the console?

Who is the audience for the Scorpio marketing up to this point? There's your answer.

They are obviously very proud that they are going to be able to run stuff at 4K. But they aren't mandating anything to developers and it's not a feature that's interesting enough to the larger audience that it warrants naming the entire console after it.

I would say marketing the chip to bunch of hardcore gamers is very different from marketing the console to mom and dad at Walmart around Christmas time.

I would agree. Feel like the thing about gaf is some sees things for the big picture and others see things as just as only they would.

And yeah, they are sold through one or two shoddy third party resellers over here too, for a huge markup. but none of the big retail chains carry them and they clearly aren't on shelves.
The market penetration of that bundle was so damn low it would (again) be a non-issue.
But the bigger question is why? Why are so many people hung up on this? Scorpio is something new. Microsoft doesn't want to rehash an already used designation. Makes zero sense. They'd be better off using Xbox Royalty than Xbox Elite lol.

Night.Ninja

Banned
So I'm trying to install Phantom Dust in anticipation of the Scorpio unveil but my Xbox One S 2tb is telling me I don't have the space for it. Game is under 10gb and I have about 915gb left. Any idea what the issue is?

Delete the game full reboot then try again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom