• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Reveal Thread: Durango Unchained

Raide

The early market they wanted to grab was Fifa, NFL and CoD fans. I think they did a great job at that. For everyone else they will have to wait for e3.

This reveal wasn't all that exciting but I personally loved everything they showed in the beginning. A seamless livingroom experience was what I expected and they definitely delivered. I loved how well everything worked together.

With that said, it really didn't have a "new console" feel. Felt like a nice software update quite frankly. They're doing everything they did before only faster and better which is fine but still underwhelming considering what people usually look for in a new console especially with this extended generation we've had. They just improved on the ground work they already set during this gen. There's not much "new". Nothing to get excited about.

And I'm rarely a negative nelly in this regard but the games looked like complete shit. Especially COD. Some of those affects were just laughable. I understand this is a launch window game and they will only get better but you can't show us some montage about how different the games are going to look and they show THAT. It was a real disconnect.

Very true but how many are Kinect games? How many are you even going to be interested in? Those are just numbers right now.

I disagree. COD was really impressive. When they compared the models the difference in terms of detail was amazing. However, they didn't say COD is an exclusive Xbox game during the presentation. Is this game supposed to be exclusive?

Marleyman

Banned
they said PLANNED in the first year. and the very fact that only 2 were shown, and barely any gameplay, just shows that the rest of them are nowhere near ready, and will probably not release in the first year.

E3..E3..E3..E3. If they aren't shown there complain. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Bread

Banned
Wasn't expecting much from this, as I've already made my decision to go PS4 this year, but I was still underwhelmed. The EA Sports montage was probably the worst thing I've seen all year, I can't believe they would come out with another pre-rendered video after the disaster that was the Madden 06 "game footage" they showed at E3 2005.

MaulerX

Not the best conference from a hardcore gamer PoV but from a marketing stand point I can understand what and why they did it. Console looks ok and controller looks awesome imo. Really looking forward to E3 as that where we'll see some blowouts. Personally I dug the UI stuff and can't wait to see more on that. Not much of games shown but that was expected and that's where E3 is going to get real interesting. Was personally intrigued with the comment of "will get better over time" and combined with their heavy investment in the cloud I can see some real tangible cloud computing coming to fruition a few years down the line.

AniHawk

i, for one, welcome our xbox overlords

this was the presentation i was expecting. heavy focus on users abroad, highlighting features that could benefit everyone, and bringing out the big guns when it counted.

so the presentation was very good. the voice-recognition stuff hasn't been done like this for standard tv-watching, and i think that and the gesture stuff will be what sells this machine to the masses. the xbox one name is kinda referencing that it's the one device you need. it's the machine microsoft was trying to beat sony to the market with.

all that's left will be price, but i think they have made a good impression with some broad appeal. steven spielberg halo tv show, ea sports guy on stage, and ending it with a premiere of gaming's biggest console franchise. it's not all about the games anymore, but if you want those to sell, you have to appeal to an audience outside the hardcore base. i think microsoft was successful with this.

comparisons to sony's event are inevitable, and personally, i feel sony comes off as the lesser of the two. they come across as presenting some sort of prototype that does one thing really well, while microsoft presented a product that does a bunch of things to make your life easier. sony focusing only on games, and more importantly, games no one really cares about, made the event feel smaller by comparison. more problematic, those were actually sony's big guns. we'll undoubtedly see more from them at e3, and i'm assuming we can expect stuff from naughty dog, media molecule, santa monica, and the other usual suspects, but microsoft will have big stuff too, and more likely, things that resonate better with the public at large.

i just think sony might have painted themselves into a corner right now. we'll see if their e3 conference expands on the ps4's features, or if they double-down on games. i think that right now, microsoft's in a better position moving forward.

Microsoft chose to focus on the North American market with Xbox One, so most of the new features will be absolutely useless to an European such as myself. In other words, Sony just acquired a new PS4 costumer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well.. I don't have cable... so most of the entire first 30 minutes of the conference were laughably bad to me.

So basically 4 games/promos, and the rest tons of talk about how xbox one will revolutionize the living room.

I said I would genuinely wait for the MS conference before deciding.. This conference just firmed up my next-gen decision considerably.

Unless MS drops a veritable megaton at E3 I can't see a single reason why I would consider an xbox one other than maybe later in the gen for an entire gen of the worthwhile exclusives at a discount.

Ponn

Banned
Ahem...told you so. The handwriting has been on the wall since the original xbox, confirmed with Kinect and its not exactly like MS hasn't been blatant about it. They can mention in passing "Oh sure, we care about gamers" but make no mistake there plan all along has been capturing the living room. THAT has always been their vision. Kinect and Xbox is their portal to that. They want to control everything that passes through your living room/bedroom/wherever and watch everything you do and market the shit out of you.

It is what it is, and I know people that actually want this and are ok with it and thats fine, Xbox One is going to be for you. If you want the Kinect, the all in one, ad driven behemoth and are mostly into sports and FPS games I would recommend Xbox One in a heartbeat if I was still working at gamestop. I jumped out of Xbox 360 and went PS3 because it was obvious i didn't want any of that. If I do jump into next generation it looks like these differences are only going to get magnified and the differences are crystal clear.

3 operating systems and 2gb second Kinect we know for sure where that rumored 2gb ram reserved is going too.

Tabris

I really like the look and features for the console.

I don't buy used games (except for old consoles) so I'm all good there.

I also wasn't expecting games.

My only disappointment is no backwards compatibility option. I mean I don't know how PS4 is going to be either but at least they said we're looking into a streaming option.

Erasus

As someone outside the US this was awful.

I do not watch TV. I get shows and movies I like from sources and watch them on a TV, but as files/streaming.

What is NFL? American Football? Okay...

Not showing full specs?? Sure 8 core CPU but what clock? 8GB RAM but what type??

I liked the fast multitasking OS though. But my PC has done that since 2009 when I built it.

Props for showing the console though. I kinda like the look of it.

Surprised about the "no gameplay" comments when it was known for days that they were pushing almost all of it to E3?

I mean MSFT still has to put on something for E3 guys...

The rest of the conference could've spent more time on other hardware capabilities and benefits. Was convulted.

Jarnet87

We all know that this is a bullshot, right?

Yep. It's the Madden trailer all over again.

As far as the conference goes some of the TV stuff sounded decent, like the quick switching (if it is that quick) and the fantasy pop up. The partnership with the NFL is lulzy because their Fantasy website is garbage. As games go they made the PS4 conference look like a 10/10.

Heysoos

Meh. I wasn't expecting many games, especially since they only allotted one hour to this. Even then I was completely underwhelmed. If their E3 doesn't impress, I'm going completely to PC only.

FroJay

Banned
right on bro, you stole the words from my mind.

Agreed 100%. I feel exactly the same way, especially as someone who has been an Xbox gamer for the last 11 years. I really can't believe it, but I'm 100% sold on PS4 now. I don't even need to wait until E3, the focus of MS showed me everything I need to see.

I disagree. COD was really impressive. When they compared the models the difference in terms of detail was amazing. However, they didn't say COD is an exclusive Xbox game during the presentation. Is this game supposed to be exclusive?

Yeah, it was really impressive compared to MW3, which is hardly a benchmark of this generation.
CoD's always looked like shit, since CoD2 on the 360. Dunno why they would unveil the console with this. ugh.

Dynedom

perfect

untitled8outz.png

OMG dying

Dragon

Banned
I guess you all missed the part where they said 15 exclusives in the first year and 8 of them being new IP?

I guess you missed where Sony got lambasted for not showing the system. Where are the games? They took an hour to talk about live action tv shows. It's embarrassing.

Spinluck

Wow. I really didn't expect it to be this bad guys. Wow. I know E3 isn't too far away, but TV TV TV TV TV TV, LIVE ACTION GAME TRAILER, TV TV TV TV TV, SAME COD SHIT, TV TV TV TV, EA SPORTS. Fifa is awesome, the rest, lol.

teokrazia

For now, all I feel to say is an overall "meh".
I would like to thank both Sony and Microsoft for making me want to save my money.
Try harder, bitches.

B.O.O.M

What the flying fuck man...I went in with low expectations hoping to be surprised but they actually went below it!

Ugly ass system
So much focus on Kinect...and even that wasn't that impressive
Tv tv tvvvvvv
So little about games...did we see a single gameplay demo?
The vague explanation of the tech in the hardware...it was like the anti-Cerny

the Positives
Quantum Break = looked VERY interesting. Look forward to seeing more of that
The stupid buzzwords like Rocket Science stuff, Watercooler

Jobbs

Banned
presentation was fucking terrible. most people watching a stream like this are going to be annoyed by 30 minutes of television stuff without any mention of games. don't they get that? they're seeding negativity with this sort of presentation.

PS4 fucking owned them. In reveal events: Sony: 1 MS: 0

kingocfs

The conference was so obviously tailored to a mass audience, I don't see what the problem with that is.

Gamers will watch E3 very closely and they know that.

mclem

I don't get it; they said they would show the games at E3, talked about 15 new exclusive games to Xbox 8 brand new and people are whining about this? If they don't show them at E3 or don't live up to it THEN say something.

Anyway, I loved the applications outside of gaming; NFL partnership, ESPN, etc.

You always have to bear in mind that when you're a European watching Microsoft conferences you have to take all those grandiose claims with a massive pinch of salt until we know how utterly crippled all that exciting functionality is over here. All the bits of the presentation you were impressed by, until we know more we have to expect them to be only for Americans.

syko de4d

Thanks MS, i will save my money for Nvidia Maxwell GPU + Oculus rift next year.

Only chance for me to get a xbox one is if Sky gives me the option to buy it cheap as a new Sky Receiver...

A.R.K

What are the specs? Same as the rumors we have been getting? Is the architecture same that we saw in the past threads with edRAM etc?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I've got a few serious complaint: No Wifi 802.11AC. Xbox one only supports 802.11N. What this means is that you simply cannot stream/download a high quality movie. You will be stuck with the mediocre quality we have on xbox 360.

If this device is here to stay for another 6 year the wifi can't be outdated on day one. I have zero wired connections in my house. I'm not going to get a cable just for the Xbox one. So I guess it won't be the media hub Microsoft wants it to be for me.

Also: WTF is up with all the tv stuff? I'm 99% certain those features won't work in Europe or Asia. Also: I can already skype, surf the web etc on my tv, and i never do that kind of things.

Lastly: Using Kinect to open a browser and having to grab your tablet or phone to actually use the browser makes no sense at all. If I have a tablet or phone in my hand, why would I go to the SmartGlass app to use the browser on my tv? I could just as well browse on my tablet.

i, for one, welcome our xbox overlords

this was the presentation i was expecting. heavy focus on users abroad, highlighting features that could benefit everyone, and bringing out the big guns when it counted.

so the presentation was very good. the voice-recognition stuff hasn't been done like this for standard tv-watching, and i think that and the gesture stuff will be what sells this machine to the masses. the xbox one name is kinda referencing that it's the one device you need. it's the machine microsoft was trying to beat sony to the market with.

all that's left will be price, but i think they have made a good impression with some broad appeal. steven spielberg halo tv show, ea sports guy on stage, and ending it with a premiere of gaming's biggest console franchise. it's not all about the games anymore, but if you want those to sell, you have to appeal to an audience outside the hardcore base. i think microsoft was successful with this.

comparisons to sony's event are inevitable, and personally, i feel sony comes off as the lesser of the two. they come across as presenting some sort of prototype that does one thing really well, while microsoft presented a product that does a bunch of things to make your life easier. sony focusing only on games, and more importantly, games no one really cares about, made the event feel smaller by comparison. more problematic, those were actually sony's big guns. we'll undoubtedly see more from them at e3, and i'm assuming we can expect stuff from naughty dog, media molecule, santa monica, and the other usual suspects, but microsoft will have big stuff too, and more likely, things that resonate better with the public at large.

i just think sony might have painted themselves into a corner right now. we'll see if their e3 conference expands on the ps4's features, or if they double-down on games. i think that right now, microsoft's in a better position moving forward.
The problem with all of this is that it is mostly aimed at the NA market. No one in Europe or Japans cares about TV features even if done almost perfectly. And we know they probably won't work perfectly in Germany for example right out the gate.

Kyzon

Were this a good show I would be saying Xbox Won, but it wasn't so I suppose I can't do that.

I'm disappointed in no illumniroom announcement though.

pubba

Wow... That was a car wreck.. And I had very realistic expectations going in.

Too much fucking SPORT. I don't like sport, that's why I love video games. Plus, I am an Australian sport-hating expat living in Asia, so none of that extra sport bullshit (NFL fantasy league bollocks) appeals to me either.

The box is massive - bigger than the original xBox even..

Halo TV show introduced by Mom. Yawn..

I don't want to surf the web or do 4 things at once when I sit down to play games on my game console. None of these new features appeal to me. My samsung smart TV has apps and motion controls and a web browser and I've used them exactly once.

I'm often in places where I can't access the net, so that's another reason why the cloud/streaming features don't appeal.

I'll wait till e3 to see the games, but that reveal was awful... SPORT KINECT SPORT SPORT KINECT SPORT SPORT SPORT BORING TRAILERS SPORT MOCAP DOG

Top Bottom