• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox revenue dives as next generation looms in Microsoft Q2 2020 earnings

DanielsM

Banned

Microsoft dropped Q2 earnings for its 2020 fiscal year today, outlining increased revenue to $36.9 billion, with major growth across Redmond's lineup of products and services. That pairs with a notable downturn for Microsoft's gaming portfolio, reporting a sizeable 21 percent decline in revenue over second-quarter 2019 earnings.

Waning Xbox performance comes as Microsoft readies for next-generation platforms, with Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 scheduled for launch later this calendar year. That regularly couples with reduced investment from consumers, as internal efforts steady shift toward the upcoming decade of Xbox and supporting gaming services.

Microsoft also reports an 11 percent decline in Xbox content and services revenue, spanning supporting Xbox titles, subscriptions, and other fundamental components of the Xbox ecosystem. It attributes the year-over-year drop to Fortnite, listed as an unnamed "third-party title," which saw record-breaking success throughout 2019. The free-to-play battle royale saw content revenue surge parallel to its peak, drawing millions of players with deep-rooted monetization.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
At least make a proper thread ffs. Here:

Microsoft dropped Q2 earnings for its 2020 fiscal year today, outlining increased revenue to $36.9 billion, with major growth across Redmond's lineup of products and services. That pairs with a notable downturn for Microsoft's gaming portfolio, reporting a sizeable 21 percent decline in revenue over second-quarter 2019 earnings.

Waning Xbox performance comes as Microsoft readies for next-generation platforms, with Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 scheduled for launch later this calendar year. That regularly couples with reduced investment from consumers, as internal efforts steady shift toward the upcoming decade of Xbox and supporting gaming services.

Microsoft also reports an 11 percent decline in Xbox content and services revenue, spanning supporting Xbox titles, subscriptions, and other fundamental components of the Xbox ecosystem. It attributes the year-over-year drop to Fortnite, listed as an unnamed "third-party title," which saw record-breaking success throughout 2019. The free-to-play battle royale saw content revenue surge parallel to its peak, drawing millions of players with deep-rooted monetization.

mejin

Today, Microsoft announced its financial results for the second quarter of the fiscal year 2020, , related to the period between October 1 and December 31.

While a recent relevant change in the way Microsoft reports its metrics excludes absolute revenue for gaming and other specific business fields (on top of Xbox Live monthly active users) from the main documents, the form 10Q includes more details. We learn that the revenue for gaming was 3,327 million dollars, compared to 4,232 million earned during the same quarter last year.

We also learn that Xbox hardware revenue decreased 43% year-on-year, primarily due to a decrease in volume and price of consoles sold.

Microsoft-3.jpg

Microsoft-4.jpg

DanielsM

Banned
Dial it back on the antagnisitic terms to describe a fanbase. Points can be made without petty insults.
Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Yes yes very shocking wow oh em gee

DanielsM

Banned

Revenue for Microsoft’s video game business is down 21 percent year-over-year at the close of the second quarter of FY 2020, a decline the company blames both on slowing hardware sales and a tough comparison against a stronger-than-usual Q2 (driven by an unnamed third-party title) back in FY 2019.

All in all, Microsoft’s game revenue decreased $905 million for the quarter ending December 31, 2019. Revenue from Xbox hardware sales alone fell 43 percent year-over-year, a decline Microsoft chalks up to a decrease in both the number of consoles being sold and lowering prices of Xbox systems.

Xbox content and services fell $295 million year-over-year, or by 11 percent. Microsoft says growth in its own subscription services (likely Xbox Game Pass) helped offset a decline caused mostly by the fact that an unnamed third-party title set the bar high during the same quarter last year.

In terms of revenue, the “More Personal Computing” category that houses Microsoft’s game business (alongside the likes of Windows, search advertising, and Surface revenue), came in at 13.2 billion for the quarter, up from $13 billion year over year.

mejin

Revenue for Microsoft’s video game business is down 21 percent year-over-year at the close of the second quarter of FY 2020, a decline the company blames both on slowing hardware sales and a tough comparison against a stronger-than-usual Q2 (driven by an unnamed third-party title) back in FY 2019.

All in all, Microsoft’s game revenue decreased $905 million for the quarter ending December 31, 2019. Revenue from Xbox hardware sales alone fell 43 percent year-over-year, a decline Microsoft chalks up to a decrease in both the number of consoles being sold and lowering prices of Xbox systems.

Xbox content and services fell $295 million year-over-year, or by 11 percent. Microsoft says growth in its own subscription services (likely Xbox Game Pass) helped offset a decline caused mostly by the fact that an unnamed third-party title set the bar high during the same quarter last year.

In terms of revenue, the “More Personal Computing” category that houses Microsoft’s game business (alongside the likes of Windows, search advertising, and Surface revenue), came in at 13.2 billion for the quarter, up from $13 billion year over year.

Fortnite? LOL

That's the winning formula Sony wants to pursue?

DanielsM

Banned
Declining doesn't necessarily mean they are losing money. The overall business is likely still profitable.

There is absolutely no information that Xbox as a product/service every was a ROI, most of the information at least through about 2014 suggested they lost mega per year. Its very possible MS doesn't know other than rough guess depending on how calculations are done and collected.

Sony reports next Tuesday.

I expect a hit across the board.

The issue with MS is service revenue is not very much and not really growing. Probably why hide the MAU(?)

Last edited:
This isn’t a surprise to anyone. Sony’s down too. Gamespot Is hemorrhaging. The only system keeping the industry afloat right now is Nintendo. Everything’s taken a nose dive until next gen.

Well, fact is, Switch is in the middle of its lifespan. PS4 and Xbone both are near end. Regarding PS4, it's not even a PS4's worst year. In 2014 PS4 has sold 14.3 m units. Being able to sell 14.4 mil. in 2019, so late, near end of the gen, into the lifecycle with next gen already announced shows that there is still demand for PS4 especially under 299. Xbox can only dream.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned

Really?

Maybe they're burning money and not gaining customers.

Last edited:

GHG

Microsoft also reports an 11 percent decline in Xbox content and services revenue, spanning supporting Xbox titles, subscriptions, and other fundamental components of the Xbox ecosystem.

This is probably a slight cause for concern for them, especially with how much they've been pushing gamepass.

While not specific to gamepass because it includes other subscriptions such as Live, it would point towards there being retention issues. Even if you aren't selling as much hardware as before at this stage of the generation (as expected), you at least want to retain those who you did previously have on board.

DanielsM

Banned
"We also learn that Xbox hardware revenue decreased 43% year-on-year, primarily due to a decrease in volume and price of consoles sold. "

This is good for Xbox. Similar results in last 2 years also. Don't you think? Poised to dominate

I have sales at 4.8m units for 2019 vs 6.8m units for 2018, of course this is a YoY (quarterly) revenue number of 43% drop not a unit number... sounds about right what I expected.

The issue is "services", they now hide the MAU and they have services mixed in with content sales... basically no real information at all.

Last edited:

jakinov

There is absolutely no information that Xbox as a product/service every was a ROI, most of the information at least through about 2014 suggested they lost mega per year. Its very possible MS doesn't know other than rough guess depending on how calculations are done and collected.
They don't release all the details but the CEO said the business was profitable which comes from a guy who reportedly wanted to gut and sell the business when he became CEO. A decline probably won't break them but we don't know for sure which is why I didn't use definitive language. There are also quarters in the last while where they grew. Neither necessarily means they grew or shrunk profit margins significantly. Whether or not they lost so much for so many years these profits never really benefit all the money they've been putting in, I don't know, but I would think they would have given up already if that were the case; considering the CEO was not a huge fan of the business.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Would be better to see profits, if we are posting revenue about division of Trillion dollar company.

DanielsM

Banned
They don't release all the details but the CEO said the business was profitable which comes from a guy who reportedly wanted to gut and sell the business when he became CEO. A decline probably won't break them but we don't know for sure which is why I didn't use definitive language. There are also quarters in the last while where they grew. Neither necessarily means they grew or shrunk profit margins significantly. Whether or not they lost so much for so many years these profits never really benefit all the money they've been putting in, I don't know, but I would think they would have given up already if that were the case; considering the CEO was not a huge fan of the business.

Microsoft does not calculate profits per product/services, general speaking, see their financials.

Growth is growth, if you say you are growing revenue, you are growing revenue. If you say you are growing profit margin, you are growing profit margin. (etc)

but I would think they would have given up already if that were the case; considering the CEO was not a huge fan of the business.

I seriously doubt anyone at Microsoft could tell you how much they lost in the thing called Xbox, former executives just throw out numbers.... rough estimates of past losses... they really have no idea because they don't calculate them.... just rough estimates.... nothing official other than napkin figures.

People could surmise potential losses before, meaning they were stacking Xbox in with outer stuff that could be pulled out of the equation, now they basically hide everything.

(just an example, maybe not the full truth, but maybe close enough)

Of course, I have no idea how they could spin-off Xbox, it a money pit and would have collapsed as soon as it was spun off.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The services were suppose to be going up i.e. no gens. If all the Xbots were right, you would be seeing content and services continue to go up by double digit percentages, if not multiple times as the service revenue grows.

(here is the press release)
Gamepass isn't ready yet. They just did another $1 subscription push. I wonder how long they are going to keep this up before they take the training wheels off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

DanielsM

Banned
Gamepass isn't ready yet. They just did another $1 subscription push. I wonder how long they are going to keep this up before they take the training wheels off.

I don't see it happening, meaning a real business model... coming up on 3 years now for Game Pass. Of course, they won't show any of the figures for it.

They'll probably say at some point they have 5m users but won't say how many paid actually real to God money for it over a buck, or the average month revenue per user.

Last edited:

Game Pass is almost 2 and a half years on the market. It's more than ready. They just did another 1$ sub. push? LOL, It is like that since E3 2019, regarding Ultimate

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Game Pass is almost 2 and a half years on the market. It's more than ready. They just did another 1$ sub. push? LOL, It is like that since E3 2019.
not everyone qualified for the $1 E3 2019 push if you didn't grab it right then and there. They did in fact do another push for people who missed out. Believe it or not...not everyone pays $1 for the service. I know, I subscribed originally for full price.

not everyone qualified for the $1 E3 2019 push if you didn't grab it right then and there. They did in fact do another push for people who missed out. Believe it or not...not everyone pays $1 for the service. I know, I subscribed originally for full price.

Even before E3 2019 there was quite often 1-2$ deals for GP Ultimate

DanielsM

Banned
They’ll be down. The gens over and there was no killer app last year. They’ve lost every single NPD to Nintendo last year by a large margin.

I expect Sony to be down 10-20% across the board this quarter in PS, about normal for this part of the cycle. Nintendo had a very good year, good solid year for Sony for year 6... selling decent and no huge sales yet..... motherfuckers are still selling for $250-300 with bundles :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I have Sony at just over 14m units for 2019, so probably a 15-20% hardware revenue reduction for the whole year... I don't know about quarterly YoY.... I don't calculate that.

Last edited:
"Quite often" does not equal always.

Quite often means every god damn month or probably every month. That's quite often for 1 month sub. Before Ultimate there was probably every damn month Game Pass for 1$.

April 2018

May 2018

June 2018

and so on

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Let me help everyone here by posting what really matters.

· Net income was $11.6 billion and increased 38% GAAP and 36% non-GAAP

Nice bump in share price, aaannnndddd the world carries on.

For a particular product or service that isn't all that matters, not at all. You probably have a couple thousand Stadia staying up every night hoping their service doesn't go dark. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Google Notice: You will receive a refund for the current month service fee and any credit you may have. We appreciate your participation in our program. We suggest you contact the publisher for the games you purchased for additional guidance, if any.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let me help everyone here by posting what really matters.

· Net income was $11.6 billion and increased 38% GAAP and 36% non-GAAP

Nice bump in share price, aaannnndddd the world carries on.
Exactly.

After hours it's spiking even more to an all time high of $176/share at $1.3 trillion market cap.

Sony is at $72/share at a $87 billion market cap. If you bought SNE stock during the dotcom bomb out, you'd still be down as shares hit $120 back then and then cratered for 15 years. When SNE stock bottom out around 2012-2013, Yoga pant seller Lululemon was worth more as a company.

But isn't this pretty much normal for the year before a new generation?

Depends. Xbone aren't in steady decline for console which have a normal sales throughout whole gen, like PS4 and Switch.

This is steady decline in sales, expecting the same for Switch will happen in 2022.

4PqNg6O.jpg

jakinov

Microsoft does not calculate profits per product/services, general speaking, see their financials.

Growth is growth, if you say you are growing revenue, you are growing revenue. If you say you are growing profit margin, you are growing profit margin. (etc)

I seriously doubt anyone at Microsoft could tell you how much they lost in the thing called Xbox, former executives just throw out numbers.... rough estimates of past losses... they really have no idea because they don't calculate them.... just rough estimates.... nothing official other than napkin figures.

People could surmise potential losses before, meaning they were stacking Xbox in with outer stuff that could be pulled out of the equation, now they basically hide everything.

(just an example, maybe not the full truth, but maybe close enough)

Of course, I have no idea how they could spin-off Xbox, it a money pit and would have collapsed as soon as it was spun off.

Just because they don't publish them, doesn't meant hey don't calculate it out. The major company I work for shows all kinds of data internally but they don't publish them when it comes time to earnings because investors don't expect them to. From what I've seen, big companies love data and they are even willing to spend a shit ton of money to collect and calculate it all. I assume Microsoft eats their own dog food and uses all the technologies they sell to other companies to get insights into their own financials. Growth is growth but Microsoft doesn't talk about profitability of individual businesses. The guy in the article is only an analyst, it's just what he thinks; the only people who do (or don't know) would be Microsoft themselves. They could be hiding things and not be profitable.

Our gaming business now is more than $9 billion and growing profitably. The gaming world is growing faster than ever before from gameplay across multiple devices, to the explosive growth in streaming and eSports, to new subscription services and mixed reality scenarios…We launched…new services (Mixer and Xbox Game Pass) to broaden our reach and enrich our gaming experience, both of which are off to a very strong start.
The statement is a bit ambiguous and nobody clarified but it seems to say they are profiting business. I also think that since the CEO who was again known for wanting to get rid of the business but not only stuck with it but increased his investment (acquiring studios) that the business is probably not bleeding 2 billion a year. The current CEO has shutdown or sold various businesses since he started; I don't see why he'd be afraid to shut this business down if has been performing so poorly once he actually got the power to do it.

Top Bottom