• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox says the VR market is currently too small for it to chase

Eotheod

Hilarious seeing people actually try to argue against a solid decision from Microsoft just because they are Microsoft. The VR market is still incredibly niche and offers no real return of value for investment. Heck, Sony had to reuse older input systems for the original VR headset to save on costs.

Once the market grows, Microsoft might be interested but with how Glass went I doubt they are keen to jump in anytime soon. Besides, less markets they are in the better, let's others compete naturally. Though I'd argue that isn't happening much now that Facebook essentially owns the market, but it's still competitive enough.

The Alien

Banned
I'd love VR on the XBox. Be great I'd they use 3rd party headsets so they don't spend a lot on R&D, etc.

Phil and XBox are not wrong tho. VR ain't that big enough yet to justify the spend. Besides, XBox needs to focus on their studios and getting quality shit out the door.

Probably because it is.... and if/when it does become big it would probably be pretty easy to partner with one of the big VR manufacturers to be the "official VR headset of Xbox", or even buy one if necessary. I hope Sony sees success in this field because I do want VR to succeed but I have no issue with Microsoft avoiding it for now, especially as they're currently breaking into the cloud market which Sony and Nintendo seem hesitant to do.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, I have a new idea. Release a heavily subsidized "xbox infinity" headset similar to the apple headset in terms of specs, and ditch all conventional game development, put all teams on vr. Launch 2025 Christmas for $499 with forza, Halo and gears vr.
Lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Apple will make it larger once the Pro Vision price drops. Its game on after that.

But by then, probably game over too. Everyone and their mother will be invested in the Apple eco system.

Now is the time to jump in if you're a TRILLION dollar company that can afford an L.

lachesis

Whether VR is a viable platform or not - I think the lifecycle of a console by it’s nature is the limiting factor. Whole thing reboots itself every few years. Often with compatibility issues with legacy titles etc. PC is probably the only platform that’s more viable for VR to thrive… or a stand alone devices like Quest series that’s more consumer wallet friendly.

Same goes for how “add-ons” ate not good for a console…. which I tend to agree in majority of time.

Three

Whether VR is a viable platform or not - I think the lifecycle of a console by it’s nature is the limiting factor. Whole thing reboots itself every few years. Often with compatibility issues with legacy titles etc. PC is probably the only platform that’s more viable for VR to thrive… or a stand alone devices like Quest series that’s more consumer wallet friendly.

Same goes for how “add-ons” ate not good for a console…. which I tend to agree in majority of time.
I play PSVR1 games on PS5. They even had a program where they sent out free dongles for compatibility. The only compatibility issue of VR was when they changed the tracking and controllers to the PCVR/Quest like standard. I don't think the lifecycle of a console is the limiting factor and we won't see reboots. PS6 will probably be PSVR2 compatible like PS5 was and PSVR2 games playable on PSVR3 if we get one.

Last edited:
I think Xbox is making a mistake here, the vision pro is coming and there is no reason why apple can't launch a controller specifically for gaming.

Yes, I know it's expensive but that thing will fly off shelves and you know version 2 will follow soon after.
Apple said they won’t be developing controllers for it. They have a very accurate hand tracking system and they want developers 100% focus on it.

They did have a Playstation DualSense in the promo videos.

Romulus

When the market does get big 😂

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

It will get as big as 3D TVs are now.

I don't think people even know what VR has done, this post proves it. The quest platform was outselling Xbox until they jacked up the price $100 and Quest 3 leaks hit the net.

THE DUCK

The risk of "just supporting third party devices" and mostly third party games would be the perception that ms tried vr and failed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cranky take:
Apple killed VR this year. Now it’s all about AR. But Apple made sure nobody else will succeed since everything else looks bad now. And since their own headset is took expensive they won’t succeed either. So Apple killed AR too.

Apple's headset does VR too though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
VR market is probably bigger than Xbox market. So, sure, an Xbox VR market being a fraction of that would be too small. But that's their own failing. They can jump in later as a me too after everyone else has done the legwork as they did with consoles but that's not something to boast for either🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

THE DUCK

VR market is probably bigger than Xbox market. So, sure, an Xbox VR market being a fraction of that would be too small. But that's their own failing. They can jump in later as a me too after everyone else has done the legwork as they did with consoles but that's not something to boast for either🤷‍♂️

17+ billion in revenue last year and vr's entire industry was 12 billion. 249 billion dollar industry vs 12 billion, which area would you chase?

Partner with Valve to make their hardware work on Xbox, put up a storefront for 3rd party games, and kick back. For the love of God don't put out your own hardware, or divert 1st party effort to VR.

lachesis

I play PSVR1 games on PS5. They even had a program where they sent out free dongles for compatibility. The only compatibility issue of VR was when they changed the tracking and controllers to the PCVR/Quest like standard. I don't think the lifecycle of a console is the limiting factor and we won't see reboots. PS6 will probably be PSVR2 compatible like PS5 was and PSVR2 games playable on PSVR3 if we get one.

I know - and I have that dongle too. I just don't see it would be a good idea as regular consumer to keep 2 VR units hooked up to one machine. For enthusiasts, perhaps it's worth it - but I just find why PSVR2 isn't backward compatible, nor they had not set up some sort of bc program that publishers must support, etc. Same goes to the controlling scheme - that not having a unified (as I still find VR being its infancy) controller type. Then it becomes pretty clear - that console VR is still pretty much bound to that console that's designed for, making it an "add-on". Like you said, PSVR3 may be bc, but it's a big if. PSVR2, probably won't be able to display PSVR3 games either.

To be honest, I would have been much happier if PSVR2 is actually it's own separate stand-alone (wireless) like Quest... and then ability to connect to PS5 for personal display option on regular games + also select PS5 games in VR mode as a VR display. It would at least give the PSVR2 having being reliant on PS5 HW itself entirely - giving more merit, or even to upgrade to next gen PSVR3 set.

Another thing is that Xbox's market share is much smaller than PS's. I kinda understand why MS isn't pushing VR for Xbox. Although I love niche games and genre - but I've learned my lesson long time ago, that those niche's don't become mainstream overnight. VR's got a long way to go IMO... (and my aging body can't take the motion sickness that well. lol)

The cringe in this thread is absolutely unreal. The fact that you're all probably 40 makes it that much more sad. Get out of the basement every once in a while, guys.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Microsoft will just wait until they can buy or steal a VR solution. Knowing their past tendencies, they'll probably see money when Apple releases their headset.

Microsoft will have a Apple look-a-like headset ready before 2026

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you want to get into VR, get a Quest 2. Why the fuck would you want to pay $500+ for a headset on TOP of $500 for the console itself? Can anyone name a single VR title worth paying $1000 for? Don't worry, I'll wait.

Xbox made an incredibly smart decision to stay out.

Indeed. Sony having 0 announced 1st party VR game in the pipeline certainly enforced MS’s stance. Even Sony London Studio (who made Blood & Truth) is working on an online game.

Microsoft's strategy is subscription and platform. There isn't a large incentive for them to lead the charge into VR, it's very expensive for a limited audience. When your platform is in 3rd place that is not the time to be doubling down on a niche audience, unless you like burning money. I agree Microsoft's efforts need to go into making Xbox/Game Pass a competitive and profitable product first, worrying about VR later.
Microsoft was one of the key investors into VR. They developed windows mixed reality and created the first inside out headsets that everyone has since copied. They stopped developing headsets when they saw how little money consumers were spending on VR HW and SW.

hyperbertha

Hilarious seeing people actually try to argue against a solid decision from Microsoft just because they are Microsoft. The VR market is still incredibly niche and offers no real return of value for investment. Heck, Sony had to reuse older input systems for the original VR headset to save on costs.

Once the market grows, Microsoft might be interested but with how Glass went I doubt they are keen to jump in anytime soon. Besides, less markets they are in the better, let's others compete naturally. Though I'd argue that isn't happening much now that Facebook essentially owns the market, but it's still competitive enough.
You have no clue how businesses work. No risk no reward. It's the reason they are doing pathetically bad with xbox, always playing catch up and failing. The reason the market is niche is because the tech hasnt developed to have mainstream appeal. Ms has the resources for proper r&ding a superior product that can lift vr from niche. They had every opportunity to get a leg up on sony. They simply choose not to.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Apple will make it larger once the Pro Vision price drops. Its game on after that.

But by then, probably game over too. Everyone and their mother will be invested in the Apple eco system.

Now is the time to jump in if you're a TRILLION dollar company that can afford an L.

Maybe, people are interested in the Vision Pro, but I'm not sure they've made a compelling argument for ownership - "you can make a big TV appear!", Facetime calls with not your actual face! Film your family while a screen showing not your actual eyes shows them where you're probably looking! Those aren't really what I imagine as convincing features. That's without getting into the limitations of the first iteration, like weight and battery life - I'm not sure how they can transform either of those in the next few years.

If I had to place a bet, I'd bet against Apple on this one, based on it not seeming to offer something that I think enough people will want to pay full price for. Whether it makes it to lower price iterations is up for debate, imo.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It won't get any bigger though... The market is what it is, if it gets any bigger it won't be much more, unless for a moment due to an event that may drive casual market temporarily. VR is too niche and too unappealing for most gamers to still be considered "the future" of gaming, but it may have potential uses as a work tool.

Novelty driven people are kinda funny, but keeping hope for long is sad, even Wii U resurrection believers knew when to give up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Because at the time he was told to.
Phil wasn't in power at the time like he is now.
Phil was promising VR support for Xbox One X, not Xbox One, in 2016.

Don had left the Xbox division 3 years prior to that. Phil in the Head of Xbox for 3 years at that point and was leading the first console launch under his complete supervision.

SonicJams

I cant imagine VR ever taking off in a big way when the headset is as big and instrusive as it is.

I could be wrong of course, but i'm guessing it will need to be more like small glasses or small single piece of glass. Like google glass was doing.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Microsoft was one of the key investors into VR. They developed windows mixed reality and created the first inside out headsets that everyone has since copied. They stopped developing headsets when they saw how little money consumers were spending on VR HW and SW.
This is it, VR could be big, but most people don't seem to want it / it doesn't fit with their lifestyle.

I think VR is basically incompatible with anyone who regularly interacts with people in the same physical space as them. Parents, people with a partner, that's pretty much most people out.

The VR experiences I've had have been great. Zero interest in buying a headset to use at home.

Three

Indeed. Sony having 0 announced 1st party VR game in the pipeline certainly enforced MS’s stance. Even Sony London Studio (who made Blood & Truth) is working on an online game.
What do you think Firewall Ultra is? What do you think GT7 was, what do you think Horizon Call of the mountain was? I bet Asobi announce a VR Astrobot too.

Last edited:

ArtHands

What do you think Firewall Ultra is? What do you think GT7 was, what do you think Horizon Call of the mountain was? I bet Asobi announce a VR Astrobot too.

Firewall Ultra is under development by a 3rd party developer. GT and Horizon are no longer in the pipeline. They have been released

Three

Firewall Ultra is under development by a 3rd party developer. GT and Horizon are no longer in the pipeline. They have been released
Firewall Ultra is a first party game. "0 announced 1st party VR game" is simply wrong, it's a first party game in development. It's also just been 4 months since the PSVR2 released, the first party pipeline has been better than some consoles at launch, you know which, maybe relax a little.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Anyway, even as hardcore VR enthusiast for decades I agree that there's nothing for XBox atm when it comes to VR. It's a volatile and immature market. It's basically a money sink.

It will ascend to become hugely successful eventually, I'd say it'll go nine figures in ~5-6-7-20..years (it's just hard to predict). Probably going to happen when we get a few generations of new and more mature technology. Form factor is crucial (hence why I'm also puzzled by Sony's timing with the PSVR2).

With that said, MS has a lot of experience in the VR scene and have even been a part of hardware and software development for years. Also, MS Flight Simulator on PC has one of the best VR implementations in the market, it's glorious and arguably THE best VR experience out there (if you have the hardware for it..). Personally I wish the next MS game to get a VR implementation will be the Forza Horizon series.

Haters said:
tiny niche gimmicky one note games, why chase that?

Because your current life right now may already be a VR simulation. Just think about it, what if we somehow could tweak that simulation and actually make it less cynical and more fun.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Firewall Ultra is a first party game. "0 announced 1st party VR game" is simply wrong, it's a first party game in development. It's also just been 4 months since the PSVR2 released, the first party pipeline has been better than some consoles at launch, you know which, maybe relax a little.

No not really. Its just like Death Stranding. If you think 0 upcoming VR title from Sony studios for PSVR2 is great then I’ll leave you to it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
VR is nice tech, but far too niche at the moment, too expensive and too few good games to be a major magnet.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Apple isn’t promising high end gaming, and there’s no mass market friendly Vision pro until 2025 at the earliest.

I suspect Valve’s stand-alone PCVR headset will be what transforms the market.

"reassessing decisions" after selling the console promising a feature that never came? 😄 are you kidding me? 😄

Before the launch, they’d already made it clear VR wasn’t a priority for the One X. Zero VR talk at E3 2017, all mentions of VR were scrubbed from the product page and by October 2017 the general public already figured out that VR was likely not happening.

Three

No not really. Its just like Death Stranding. If you think 0 upcoming VR title from Sony studios for PSVR2 is great then I’ll leave you to it.
It's a Sony Interactive Entertainment game and Sony owns the IP. It's about as first party as say Perfect Dark is for MS or Pokemon is for Nintendo. As for Sony studios, we don't even know what most of them are working on in general let alone if whatever it is has VR support too. I think the releases so far and planned are great so it doesn't matter about first party definitions and all that other nonsense.

Top Bottom