• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S "Brilliantly Designed Machine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
triggered GIF

Schmick

Even in this fixed form its still a stupid post.

Because check this out:

I could say @assurdum regularly fucks donkeys.

He asks me to backup my claims of which i have no evidence so:

I now say assurdum could regularly fuck donkeys

Id still need to provide something to backup even a could statement, if I cant back it up at all then its completely baseless and pretty much pointless.
Im surprised he hasnt been thread banned already because even a could or probably statement still needs some basis else its just conjecture.
Actually according to him he's need to now prove that it is not true that he regularly fucks donkeys.

Schmick

Does anyone know whether TLoU 2 (arguably the best looking game that generation) would have looked better if the base PS4 didn't exist?

skit_data

Does anyone know whether TLoU 2 (arguably the best looking game that generation) would have looked better if the base PS4 didn't exist?
If the console with the highest specced lowest common demoninator achieved what is arguably the best looking game of that gen, what does that say about the upcoming one?

My answer is yes, it probably would have looked even better if PS4 Pro was the lowest common denominator, and its possible the development time would have been shorter.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm glad DF did this so that we can finally have a Series S shill containment thread.

It was getting out of hand everywhere else across the forum over the last few weeks.
It was time for this, my thread got decimated with shills. And I am just a guy who lover planes.

Also protip for everyone, if you "love" some physical object, mainly product you payed for, you need help.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It’s funny, I posted the link about an actual developer saying the Series S was a problem and they didn’t say anything about that 😆.

Dude has a Series S, so he is taking this very personal…. 😆
What's funny is that you didn't actually read the article before you tried to use it as a weapon. The person who made the comment about XSS memory also said they had no issues with XSX and that it was straightforward. If you look at the full quote about memory the message is much different.

Yes, the Xbox Series S requires additional optimization. While we were able to simply compile The Riftbreaker for the Xbox Series X and it "just works", the XSS requires additional optimization. Still, it doesn't look like it will require that much work to be running well at 1080p on the XSS. The best thing about the current architecture is that the CPU power on both Xbox models is practically the same. Scaling graphical effects is a lot easier than scaling gameplay. The amount of available memory is a determining factor in a lot of cases when we talk about the size of a game world or about how many things can be happening within it at any given time. The size of the memory that is available in the XSS is the actual determining point for the entire console generation as gameplay features have to be fitted to the lowest spec. From the point of view of a developer it would be much easier if there was a single XSX SKU, but given the circumstances I think that Microsoft has made good choices in how to create a much cheaper console, that can still run next-generation games.

Look at that, the person interviewed actually thinks XSS is a good option for the price, that it isn't hard to optimize for, and that Microsoft made a good choice. Saying it would have been easier to only target one SKU is not saying XSS is holding things back.

As for the Control devs, they didn't actually criticize XSS. The author linked to a support page on 505's website that outlined next gen improvements and there's only a bullet point that outlines XSS performance mode. They never made the statement that 505 wanted people to know that "Control’s devs wanted to make sure players knew it was not their fault." That's complete speculation.

So you linked to an opinion piece with one out of context quote as your proof. That's why nobody takes you seriously.

SirTerry-T

The hell you are talking about. Console design was always about specs offered and relative price, not aesthetics. Console are not a piece of exposition lol. If it looks nice, good, but the important are the specs and the relative price not surely the aspect. Though outside the size, series S is not even a looker for my tastes.
I'm pretty sure that if you were trying to justify spending £500 on a chunk of plastic and silicon for the living room to your partner, aesthetics would sure as hell come into it!

Of course, the PS5 had just as much talent and thought put into it by Sony's engineers as the Series S had from Microsoft's, despite the different requirements each party had for their final product, however let's not act like aesthetics aren't an incredibly important part of product design for consumers electronics, that's a very ignorant stance to take.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think he posted that picture in order to mock those "'love' some physical object", as you say.
I am sorry, but I don't really pay attention to the social network, maybe outside of few people like Karak Karak on the youtube, I don't really find it stimulating. I rather discuss things here, do some programming go for a run or finally, play some games.

Md Ray

It was time for this, my thread got decimated with shills. And I am just a guy who lover planes.

Also protip for everyone, if you "love" some physical object, mainly product you payed for, you need help.

It makes me think of kids who sleep with their favorite action figure but instead of an action figure they unplug their 10 lb console and take that to bed with them.
Well....
HoHaHwS.jpg

Courtesy of vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal

Thread 'I LOVE Series S' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-love-series-s.1592054/

girl door GIF

Hezekiah

Banned
Like how they’ve been doing since…. forever. PCs exist, and the average “gaming” pc has worse hardware than the series S. It will not be a problem now all of a sudden.

Also the generation will be winding up in 5 years, and over by 7, so it definitely won’t be a problem then.
The average gaming PC has less than 10GB RAM, less than 364GB SSD space, and outputs games at sub 1080p? Hmm...maybe in developing countries.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There's a reason it's much more widely available in Europe than the PS5 and Series X.

It's £250, but many gamers can see straight through the mediocre specs. If it's not selling now, what difference is dropping it to £200 going to make. None at all.

Are we back to this "it's not selling at all because there is stock on shelves in stores" crap? I hate to break this to you but having stock in stores proves zero when you don't know exactly how many units are being shipped and sold. Does the switch sell? Is there stock in stores? The answer is yes to both. Also I don't think anyone expected it to outsell the X, at least not until it's cheaper. (Pretty sure ms intended to launch it at $249 but decided it didn't have to due to overall market shortages)

Hezekiah

Banned
Are we back to this "it's not selling at all because there is stock on shelves in stores" crap? I hate to break this to you but having stock in stores proves zero when you don't know exactly how many units are being shipped and sold. Does the switch sell? Is there stock in stores? The answer is yes to both. Also I don't think anyone expected it to outsell the X, at least not until it's cheaper. (Pretty sure ms intended to launch it at $249 but decided it didn't have to due to overall market shortages)
Are you suggesting Microsoft has and continues to manufacture significantly more Series S consoles? Sounds like damage control.

And as I said above, it's cheap already. You really think another £50 lopped off the price is going to make a big difference?

What we know is that the PS5 is very hard to get hold of in the UK and Europe. Ditto the Series X. Series S is easy to find and that has been the case for months.

THE DUCK

Are you suggesting Microsoft has and continues to manufacture significantly more Series S consoles? Sounds like damage control.

And as I said above, it's cheap already. You really think another £50 lopped off the price is going to make a big difference?

What we know is that the PS5 is very hard to get hold of in the UK and Europe. Ditto the Series X. Series S is easy to find and that has been the case for months.

It's hardly damage control.
Let me give you an example.

In scenario one, ms has just enough series S to meet demand, just for arguements sake, a thousand a week. All 1000 sell out every week.

In scenarios two, ms builds an extra 500 units, for a total of 1500 units. Then from then on builds 1000 per month. Sales are the same at 1000 units per month.

In both scenarios, sales are exact the same, in one there are no units on shelves, in the other there is plenty on store shelves.

I do think an extra $50 does matter, it increases the divide between the two machines, and makes it even more of an impulse buy on the low end. I expect a $199 price was the true ultimate goal a year or 2 from now. You have to admit, the cheaper the series s is, the more you can sell the value proposition, especially for things like seconday tv's, kids rooms, etc.

scalman

Nothing mini about it at all. Tjey just made it smaller because much lower specs there its not that mb is small or anything there.
When your biving bs info all over you must been payed for that...

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
It's hardly damage control.
Let me give you an example.

In scenario one, ms has just enough series S to meet demand, just for arguements sake, a thousand a week. All 1000 sell out every week.

In scenarios two, ms builds an extra 500 units, for a total of 1500 units. Then from then on builds 1000 per month. Sales are the same at 1000 units per month.

In both scenarios, sales are exact the same, in one there are no units on shelves, in the other there is plenty on store shelves.

I do think an extra $50 does matter, it increases the divide between the two machines, and makes it even more of an impulse buy on the low end. I expect a $199 price was the true ultimate goal a year or 2 from now. You have to admit, the cheaper the series s is, the more you can sell the value proposition, especially for things like seconday tv's, kids rooms, etc.
£250 is chump change. The original Playstation came out at £399 in the mid 90s.

Clearly £200 is better for the consumer than £250, but I really don't think it's going to have a material impact when virtually anybody can afford the latter in the UK / western Europe.

And the lack of power only gets starker the longer the generation goes on.

Even the vast amount of low-end gaming PCs simply have a lot more RAM than XSS (heck even the upcoming Steam Deck has 16GB and will get SFS on top). Features like sampler feedback (not to be confused with SFS which is ALSO making its way to PCs, btw, starting with Turing) and other DX12U features like mesh shading capable HW have been sitting inside many PCs since 2018 (two full years ahead of the Series consoles), and these PCs are growing in large numbers each day and are also equipped lots of memory already (way more than XSS), let alone 5 -7 yrs from now.

In 5 years' time, XSS will be at the bottom of the barrel, lowest common denominator for game development just like X1 was (at least X1 didn't have any memory limitations at the time)... In 2018 (5 years after last-gen consoles came out), average gaming PCs were an order of magnitude ahead of the X1 (and PS4 for that matter). 5 years is a long time in tech, especially in the PC world and we all know it moves at a rapid pace every couple of months. I mean we're already seeing XSS miss RT from a first-party studio like id Software due to limited memory (as DF noted) and Remedy explicitly mentioned "hardware limitation" as the reason for not including RT in the Series S version of Control. I'm sorry bro but the memory issue on the S is a harsh reality and it's the reason (along with limited GPU, bandwidth) the S will be the lowest common denominator for the rest of this gen just like the weakest console (X1) was during last-gen... No amount of hoping and wishing will change that.
Why would MS use the XSS as it's baseline for game development over low speced PCs? Why would MS create a development kit specifically designed to create games for three platforms, produce games that would not run on one of those platforms? Do you think MS going to make PC titles that require an SSD, Zen 2 CPU or equivalent, and RDNA 2 GPU minimum? When exactly do you think that's going to happen? This is especially interesting when the vast majority of PCs don't meet that spec NOW. You think MS will make PC games incapable of running on systems below XSS spec, blocking out a majority of potential customers? Doubtful.

How much RAM do you think is necessary to run games at 1080p? Why won't Sampler Feedback streaming and VA address the lower memory on the XSS? The biggest memory hog is graphical data and data that is at 1080p will take up considerably less space than higher resolution assets. The combination of SFS and VA will keep devs from dumping everything into RAM as it has been done historically and only load what is needed for the moment. Of course this is only if they use the feature. None of the complaining devs have and perhaps if they did it would address their concerns. Contacting MS for support would also be helpful.

In your 5+ year future argument the XSS would have been supported for 6+ years at that point. That would be close to the end of the generation and there would be full blown discussions about the next generation of devices. No one is arguing the XSS won't reach end of life and support, ALL consoles do. There is just no evidence that the XSS won't be able to reach that point when consoles significantly weaker made it numerous times in the past. Why expect the XSS to run games in perpetuity when no other console in the history of video gaming has? The XSS is always held to some sort of imaginary standard by people who don't own one. How odd.

How does any of this affect you? You seem to have a problem with a budget console offering a superior value to customers offering features more expensive consoles lack. Maybe you should just ask for more from your favorite console maker over dumping on the device many owners seem to like. The XSS won't hold back this generation. The only thing held back is the graphics of the XSS itself and MS has always stated that is by design.

PaintTinJr

To say it is brilliantly designed, surely implies it is next-gen capable.

For consistency, had Sony taken this same anti-generation route, what would the PS5 lite hardware with cut down GPU looked like at that price point?

I doubt they would have abandoned plans for the expensive design technologies in the PS5 to accomodate a Lite, such as the Tempest engine, the IO complex - with its expensive ESRAM - the 6 channels of priority in the SSD using 12 lanes/modules (which would be problematic for a smaller drive SKU), Adaptive triggers in a newly enhanced (pack-in) Dualsense controller, the cache scrubbers, constant clock boosting logic that pre-emptively chooses clock by workload or even basic Smart|Shift to move unused power from CPU to GPU.

At that price IMO a PS5 lite with 18 working CUs would have still had all those other innovations, and still wouldn't be a "brilliant design", so the Series S being way below that in design innovation, isn't close to being a "brilliant design" - as a next-gen system IMHO - and is probably held back the XsX with last-gen control pad technology, because they probably couldn't afford to innovate and pack-in with the Series S at that price.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Is there a difference in performance regarding BC titles between the S and X?
From what others said back at release, the BC on XsS is from X1, not X1X, and the BC on XsX is enhanced X1X game code, so in most cases the XsS BC doesn't best the X1X other than loading times AFAIK.

Man some people are really triggered about Series S huh.

Also the concern about a low specc machine, i mean that has been a thing forever in PC space to scale graphics to the lower specced machines. Here you don't have to account for anything else than the lesser memory and GPU. On PC you have to factor in peoples CPU's, hard drive speed and other shit.

Also Sony fans are the worst and i say this as someone who has a PS5 and have had a every sony console except PS1.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Man some people are really triggered about Series S huh.

Also the concern about a low specc machine, i mean that has been a thing forever in PC space to scale graphics to the lower specced machines. Here you don't have to account for anything else than the lesser memory and GPU. On PC you have to factor in peoples CPU's, hard drive speed and other shit.
I don't think most of us are triggered by the Series S, but triggered by anything in the closed console space causing us to lose the generational shifts prematurely; especially when it is being pushed by a $2Trillion dollar company that haven't set the world on fire with push gaming forward (IMHO).

IMO Craig should be at least as old as the head of Xbox before we can't tell the difference between his rendering in game and the rendering in Jackson's King kong movie. Plenty of years before we need boxes like the Series S cutting innovation for business reasons.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So performance regarding IQ (res) and FR boosts are the same between S and X until now (?) And X has less load times going for it (?) Meh. Those couple seconds I can live with =)

THE DUCK

I don't think most of us are triggered by the Series S, but triggered by anything in the closed console space causing us to lose the generational shifts prematurely; especially when it is being pushed by a $2Trillion dollar company that haven't set the world on fire with push gaming forward (IMHO).

IMO Craig should be at least as old as the head of Xbox before we can't tell the difference between his rendering in game and the rendering in Jackson's King kong movie. Plenty of years before we need boxes like the Series S cutting innovation for business reasons.

I think the part you are missing is that Microsoft's support of the PC market already lost the generational shift you were looking for - it had zero to do with one mid range console spec. It cut zero innovations.

THE DUCK

To say it is brilliantly designed, surely implies it is next-gen capable.

For consistency, had Sony taken this same anti-generation route, what would the PS5 lite hardware with cut down GPU looked like at that price point?

I doubt they would have abandoned plans for the expensive design technologies in the PS5 to accomodate a Lite, such as the Tempest engine, the IO complex - with its expensive ESRAM - the 6 channels of priority in the SSD using 12 lanes/modules (which would be problematic for a smaller drive SKU), Adaptive triggers in a newly enhanced (pack-in) Dualsense controller, the cache scrubbers, constant clock boosting logic that pre-emptively chooses clock by workload or even basic Smart|Shift to move unused power from CPU to GPU.

At that price IMO a PS5 lite with 18 working CUs would have still had all those other innovations, and still wouldn't be a "brilliant design", so the Series S being way below that in design innovation, isn't close to being a "brilliant design" - as a next-gen system IMHO - and is probably held back the XsX with last-gen control pad technology, because they probably couldn't afford to innovate and pack-in with the Series S at that price.

I think a lot of the admiration for the machine was the small form factor and quiet nature considering what's in it, as opposed to raw power.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ironically some of same folks here are found pounding their chests over the tiniest graphical differences in the pixel/frame counting threads for each game.

Welcome to the war.

war reality tv GIF by Big Brother Canada
War Dance GIF by tv2norge

Yeah.. It's quite sad, childish and petty when looking at it from a distance.. Sigh.

Being passionate is one thing, this *shakes head* display is something else entirely though...

Oh well, to be young I guess...

Last edited:
Ironically some of same folks here are found pounding their chests over the tiniest graphical differences in the pixel/frame counting threads for each game.

Welcome to the war.

war reality tv GIF by Big Brother Canada
War Dance GIF by tv2norge

I guess I’m lucky enough to be ‘platform agnostic’, I just like video games so I usually get most if not all platforms. I am privileged enough to also have a series X via their all access stuff.

I am in love with Gamepass while also loving games like Returnal and Demon’s Souls. Unfortunately Sony went with new pricing this gen which makes games cost comparatively to €85 or like $90 so we pay now a $30 premium to last gen.

This makes it to me only really feasible to get some exclusives on PS5 and grab the PS+ games. While playing third party games on Gamepass.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I just like video games

Should be enough, right? (Don't answer it's rhetorical)

Just use the potato analogy;

Replace performance with type of seed/soil. Game with strand of Potato and Userbase with Supermarket

Now imagine the same discussion but it's about potato's etc

Yeah

"Bro, my potato has better soil and therefore has longer legs and taste better bla bal bla"

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
There is so much salt here. Sonygaf really need to ask themselves why they're so triggered by series S.

Meh it's more about a deeply ingrained psychological impulse regarding tribalism and competition/us or them mentality that causes, even now, this sort of behavior. It's therefore to be expected but yeah..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom