• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X running hot according to Journalists (Zero Noise, but Hot temperature )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloko85

He said (translated by VGC): “The Series X is hot, like really hot! It doesn’t make any noise, but damn it’s hot! The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it.”

edit can you add the tweets again..

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yep, 12TF will do that. My One X runs hot too but have never had a problem with it. Even the massive original Xbox One runs hot.

The fact that it's getting so much heat out is a good thing.

Hopefully for Microsoft’s sake they will resolve this much sooner rather than later because I’m getting the dreaded red rings of death flashbacks. Maybe they had early units and the final units won’t have this issue?

There's nothing to resolve. Electronics, especially high powered ones, create heat. The red rings of death was caused by being pretty much the first mass manufactured consumer device with the new lead free solder, which was shit. It couldn't handle the constant heating up and cooling down, so it cracked.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
Since it sounds like it's staying the thermal range where it can still use silent fan profiles that suggests it's working exactly as designed. One look at the size of the fan and the heatsink in the Series X made it pretty clear that it was going to be dumping a lot of heat anyway.

The One X puts out surprisingly hot air too, but there are no signs that has been unreliable.

JimboJones

nRfEC7r.gif

RayHell

That's a good thing, hot air getting out is what they want to achieve. I'm not afraid of heat issue from any of the next gen console.
Also ReviewTechUSA is the worst tech reviewers. I mean he has almost as many subscribers than Digital Foundry just by betting on bait click videos and erroneous information.

Last edited:
Yep, 12TF will do that. My One X runs hot too but have never had a problem with it. Even the massive original Xbox One runs hot.

The fact that it's getting so much heat out is a good thing.

There's nothing to resolve. Electronics, especially high powered ones, create heat. The red rings of death was caused by being pretty much the first mass manufactured consumer device with the new lead free solder, which was shit. It couldn't handle the constant heating up and cooling down, so it cracked.

I see. Yeah, I was surprised to hear this when they were only running current generation XBOX games. I thought about how hot would it get on something really pushing the hardware I suppose. Then again, my AV receiver and TV used to get quite hot sometimes and I never had any trouble with them, so this is probably nothing major.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I'm concerned. Are you concerned? I have found most playstation fans are very concerned with the heat Xbox is bringing to their asses. That wiener reminds me of a lot of posters on here burned from the heat.
I'm concerned. Are you concerned? I have found most xbox fans aren't concerned at all with anything xbox does. It's almost as if they'll act like everything is great no matter what happens.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I had 2 laptops hooked up in my room afk farming forges back when it was bugged in Destiny 2. Was like i had a heater on in there.

maybe a 3rd party will make a little grill for the top to cook up some s’mores while gaming.

This is why the PlayStation 5 is so large. To think that some users here said that the PlayStation 5 is poorly designed and that Xbox Series X's designers are smarter than those of PlayStation 5.
It’s gonna depend on how loud/hot PS5 is. Even if PS5 is silent (I reckon it will be) and cold (hard to say?) others might still prefer the more compact SX design, presuming the heat “issue” here is within expected ranges. Short of one of the consoles having a high rate of failure, there isn’t really one or the other that is better designed.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
“The Series X is hot, like really hot! It doesn’t make any noise, but damn it’s hot! The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it.”

I think that’s what matters. If it’s quiet, and the heat isn’t inside of it, it sounds like it’s operating as intended? After all, the console is basically a vertical wind tunnel, made to push a lot of heat out, given what’s been packed into the form factor.

Aladin

This is why the PlayStation 5 is so large. To think that some users here said that the PlayStation 5 is poorly designed and that Xbox Series X's designers are smarter than those of PlayStation 5.
Would you fit a radiator of a truck to your car, to run it a few degree cooler ? It is a bigger engineering design challenge to fit more in smaller space and make it work reliably.

fersnake

i dont reallylike to start throwing bs from some rumors or fake news, we needjust wait till ppl get their hands on it without nda stuff and the retail unit, btw that design is tight so dont spect cold temps either

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I expect heat coming out of it. The entire design of the console was based around getting the heat away from the machine. You can't have that much power and it not generate heat. Why anyone feels the need to pretend it runs cool is fooling themselves. That does not mean it is going to overheat as long as it has proper ventilation.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It’s gonna depend on how loud/hot PS5 is. Even if PS5 is silent (I reckon it will be) and cold (hard to say?) others might still prefer the more compact SX design, presuming the heat “issue” here is within expected ranges. Short of one of the consoles having a high rate of failure, there isn’t really one or the other that is better designed.
Your venting 250-300 watts of energy it's going to be hot unless Sony is including water cooling. Being hot out the vents is a good thing it means the cooling system is working as designed see xbox one x. If it was not hot see the 747 ps4 pros before people did thermal paste fix and it became hot out the back.

The concern trolling is off the charts. PCs and also the current gen consoles blow out lots of heat, that is normal. NVME drives getting very hot is normal.

Like, what does that statement even mean that it heats up your hands? PS4 Pro blasts out 60°C hot air at the back, that also warms up your hands. Xbox One X blasts out 65°C hot air.

Expect both consoles to blow out air that is just as hot.

Last edited:
That's a good thing, hot air getting out is what they want to achieve. I'm not afraid of heat issue from any of the next gen console.
Also ReviewTechUSA is the worst tech reviewers. I mean he has almost as many subscribers than Digital Foundry just by betting on bait click videos and erroneous information.

It annoys me on how he reports on every single rumor and his intros be kinda annoying and cringey.

Keihart

I want so much this 2 consoles to be tested by Linus, i mean, they are gonna run the whole toolkit of things you can. Temperature, disassembly, benchmarks and who knows what else.
I'm hyped about it, i hope they get their hands on them sooner than later.

The concern trolling is off the charts. PCs and also the current gen consoles blow out lots of heat, that is normal. NVME drives getting very hot is normal.

Like, what does that statement even mean that it heats up your hands? PS4 Pro blasts out 60°C hot air at the back, that also warms up your hands. Xbox One X blasts out 65°C hot air.

Expect both consoles to blow out air that is just as hot.
I wouldn't consider anything under 80 to be hot, most thresholds are over 80, shutdowns are usually more around the 90's...but this are the tempratures of the component themselves, i doubt even a burning PC would be blowing 90 degrees air.

Edit: And yeah, OP Channel it's one of those that devolved into click bait videos long ago, there are lots of those tho, because they get easy traffic like when linked in threads in Forums and the controversial nature of the videos.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Still really odd because I swore that when the system previews were first coming out it felt like people were saying the complete opposite. 🤷‍♂️

Can't shut the sun with a finger, or hammer in this case.

It's good that Koloko made it. My Take 2 would have drawn way too many children crying all sorts of things - and it was in the oven.

Constant: Quiet fan operation. Variable: Considerable heating. Which has been described by 2 journalist with not great adjectives to say the least. Not adjectives that a person used to covering gaming, and having consoles around would use to describe "normal" heating. SSD was merely a sympton of just being plugged in. Could be nothing, could be faulty units, could be an issue of low fan RPM's not cooling the system properly, could be anything under the sun.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

All the "sources" debunked it.

Original source debunks it and calls it fake news, and now we have tons of credible journos debunking it as well and yet Sony fanboys keep trying to spread FUD whilst other people ignore this and continue to post concern. LOL.

I just don't understand. Why do they embarrass themselves? It's as if none of these "hardcore" gamers ever touched their GPU before and are so hellbent on spreading fake news they just continue to own themselves over and over again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom