• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X turns 1

sounds crazy. we're 1 year into "next gen" and it's still damn difficult to get hold of a console. i've been trying to get an XSX for a year now and no luck. all i can get is the XSS which is a great console but i want the most powerful console i can buy. at this point i might just wait for the inevitable Slim model in a year or two.

same goes for the PS5. it's not quite 1 year old yet but it's no easy to find one anywhere. these consoles are starting to feel dated and not many people can actually buy one.

Imtjnotu

Happy birthday Xbox 🎂🎂

Game Dog GIF by FaZe Clan

Kuranghi

sounds crazy. we're 1 year into "next gen" and it's still damn difficult to get hold of a console. i've been trying to get an XSX for a year now and no luck. all i can get is the XSS which is a great console but i want the most powerful console i can buy. at this point i might just wait for the inevitable Slim model in a year or two.

same goes for the PS5. it's not quite 1 year old yet but it's no easy to find one anywhere. these consoles are starting to feel dated and not many people can actually buy one.

Exactly, I'm totally over my PS5 now, I gave it to a tramp. I bought a Series S but only to use it as a "hot plate" for my youtube pretend cooking videos.

I have a Series X coming in the post and I only have plans to use the top of it to toss pasta in oil.

DaGwaphics

Same in my area. The XSX is a figment of the imagination at this point.

If you can grab an XSS, I would go ahead and do it. You can always sell it when the XSX is more available. You'll love some of the new features like quick resume and games can still look a good deal better than last-gen on it (FH5 in particular).

Same in my area. The XSX is a figment of the imagination at this point.

If you can grab an XSS, I would go ahead and do it. You can always sell it when the XSX is more available. You'll love some of the new features like quick resume and games can still look a good deal better than last-gen on it (FH5 in particular).
i did think of getting the Series S but i have a PC so i can do without either the S or X to be honest. but i don't plan on upgrading my PC anymore. i want a Series X cause it should last me much longer than my PC.

i've been playing Flight Sim on my PC and will get Halo. Not a big fan of the Forza Horizon games but I might give it a shot. I'm more interested in Motorsport 8.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I never bothered with any email notification lists. I jus randomly checked websites every morning before starting work. Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Costco. Pure luck stock showed up at Costco one day for Series X in March and it sold out in an hour. Surprisingly long compared to what you hear from the other sites, but I dont think the typical gamer thinks Costco.

Only problem is the bundle they had forces you to buy another controller. But consoles are indefinite warranty (not considered 90 day electronics warranty), so dont care if it bricks.

Out of all the times I checked sites, I saw PS5 and Series X in stock at Costco once each. Never saw them in stock at any other e-tailer. Series S definitely pops up occasionally. Seen it many times at all places. Comes and goes.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

It's crazy that one year ago I was so hyped to be getting my PS5, but right now I'm going through an Xbox phase. I'm not saying one is better than an another, but it's a testament to Microsoft's ability to win me over. They have had a fantastic year and I hope they continue to deliver.

I never bothered with any email notification lists. I jus randomly checked websites every morning before starting work. Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Costco. Pure luck stock showed up at Costco one day for Series X in March and it sold out in an hour. Surprisingly long compared to what you hear from the other sites, but I dont think the typical gamer thinks Costco.

Only problem is the bundle they had forces you to buy another controller. But consoles are indefinite warranty (not considered 90 day electronics warranty), so dont care if it bricks.
i'm in the UK but i think in the last year i've seen the Series X "in stock" maybe 2-3 times and when i've went to order it's not been available in a store near me or for delivery. they sell out too quick.

and yeah it sucks with the bundles. i'm trying to get a switch too and the only one i can pre order is one that comes with BOTH the new pokemon remakes (diamond/pearl). lol even if i did want that Pokemon game i don't want both. some stores are selling consoles with fucking hats and shit. it's a rip off.

It's crazy that one year ago I was so hyped to be getting my PS5, but right now I'm going through an Xbox phase. I'm not saying one is better than an another, but it's a testament to Microsoft's ability to win me over. They have had a fantastic year and I hope they continue to deliver.
i sold my PS4 thinking i'll get a PS5 but now i don't want one at all. maybe in a couple years but i keep trying to get the Series X.

HTK

Banned

You're not trying hard enough or you don't want it as badly as you think. I managed to buy (2) Series X consoles and I'm not even an Xbox guy and it took little effort to snatch one.

Here are some tips:
1) Make sure you're following W Wario64 on Twitter and turn on your notifications. (I'm sure there are others but I got mine with Wario64).
2) Make sure you have an account with Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco, and Best Buy or whoever is the major retailer in your area.
3) Make sure with all those accounts that you have already added your Payment Information and your 2FA setup.
4) Make sure you're already logged into all of those accounts.
5) Turn off all Twitter notifications except W Wario64 's or whoever is giving you inventory heads up and check your phone every time you get said notification.

Unfortunately there will be a lot of bs notifications, but if you following any of these guys they will say when things might go live so be prepared around that time.

Also, don't feel too bad. Year 1 for both consoles wasn't anything special. I think starting this Holiday season and going forward you might start missing out on things that are worth checking out.

Good luck!

You're not trying hard enough or you don't want it as badly as you think. I managed to buy (2) Series X consoles and I'm not even an Xbox guy and it took little effort to snatch one.

Here are some tips:
1) Make sure you're following W Wario64 on Twitter and turn on your notifications. (I'm sure there are others but I got mine with Wario64).
2) Make sure you have an account with Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco, and Best Buy or whoever is the major retailer in your area.
3) Make sure with all those accounts that you have already added your Payment Information and your 2FA setup.
5) Turn off all Twitter notifications except W Wario64 's or whoever is giving you inventory heads up and check your phone every time you get said notification.

Unfortunately there will be a lot of bs notifications, but if you following any of these guys they will say when things might go live so be prepared around that time.

Also, don't feel too bad. Year 1 for both consoles wasn't anything special. I think starting this Holiday season and going forward you might start missing out on things that are worth checking out.

Good luck!
you're right i probably don't want it that bad. i have a PC (like i already mentioned) so i will be good for Halo/Forza but i want a Series X because i don't plan on upgrading my PC.

i suppose if i tried hard to get one i could. shit, if i REALLY wanted one i could get one for this weekend if i spent an extra £100-200 and got it from a scalper. i mean i'm trying to get a Switch OLED for FRIDAY to play SMTV and i'm looking to pay about £90 more than i would if i could buy it from a retailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree.

The most time I sunk into Series X is Skyrim at 4k/60 and ultra mods! It'll change with Halo and Forza, but year one was really just my One X on a handful of steroids.

Stuart360

Here are some tips:
I dont know man, that seems like quite a bit of effort to me lol

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I feel so fortunate that I was able to pre-order a Series X and it has been absolutely perfect. Silent and powerful, I've never had a single problem with the console although a 2nd controller I bought for it refuses to sync. I've been extremely happy with it and all the excellent QoL features Xbox added especially Quick Resume.

Happy Birthday Series X!

Banjo64

cumsessed
My Series S has given me many hours of fun.

Played through Ori and the Blind Forest, Yooka Laylee, Streets of Rage 4, Jedi Fallen Order, Descenders, A Plague Tale and Psychonauts 2.

Farmed gamer score in Subnautica, Donut County, The Gardens Between, Doom 64, Planet Coaster, Conan Exiles and Celeste.

Got hours and hours of playtime on MCC, Forza Horizon 4 (and now 5) and Gears 5.

Tried many more games as well in this time.

I’ve had a great year with it.

HTK

Banned
you're right i probably don't want it that bad. i have a PC (like i already mentioned) so i will be good for Halo/Forza but i want a Series X because i don't plan on upgrading my PC.

i suppose if i tried hard to get one i could. shit, if i REALLY wanted one i could get one for this weekend if i spent an extra £100-200 and got it from a scalper. i mean i'm trying to get a Switch OLED for FRIDAY to play SMTV and i'm looking to pay about £90 more than i would if i could buy it from a retailer.
I hear you on the whole PC and Series X. I honestly got a Series X because it's been impossible to upgrade my entire PC for over a year now.

Topher

Gold Member
I hear you on the whole PC and Series X. I honestly got a Series X because it's been impossible to upgrade my entire PC for over a year now.

Pretty much the same situation for me. I had money set aside last year for a RTX 3080 but that never panned out. I eventually used that money on my PS5 and XSX. I'm pretty happy with the way that turned out. At some point down the road I'll invest in my PC again, but right now I'm enjoying playing on console especially since 60fps has become pretty much a standard option.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel so fortunate that I was able to pre-order a Series X and it has been absolutely perfect. Silent and powerful, I've never had a single problem with the console although a 2nd controller I bought for it refuses to sync. I've been extremely happy with it and all the excellent QoL features Xbox added especially Quick Resume.

Happy Birthday Series X!
I think just about anyone who pre-ordered got it fast(?) I dont know how bad pre-order gamers got delayed, but all the people on my friends list and fam who got a Series X preordered it except me and they got it fine launch day or like a week delay. I was the only guy who decided to wait it out.

Gamers like me post launch are the ones who had trouble. I started checking for Series X stock in Jan and scored end of March. Took a walk up like me 3 months to randomly find one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Pc and console folks reunited under the same hardware scarcity sky.

Although i think that finding an high end gpu at normal price (so like a 3080 at 699 dollars) is far harder than finding a ps5\sex...

The only new game I bought this year that seemed worth the next gen upgrade was RE8. 4K(checkerboarded but hard to notice)/60fps/RT made it a lot better than if I had been still stuck on last gen. I assume Elden Ring will be a similar situation.

It wasn’t a necessary purchase in terms of new games, but I’m damn glad I was able to secure a launch day preorder last year because playing with most of my Xbone library enhanced has been fantastic. Looking forward to Starfield, Fable, and Perfect Dark as well. In general I’m a lot more optimistic about this gen than I was going into PS4/X1/WiiU.

Pc and console folks reunited under the same hardware scarcity sky.

Although i think that finding an high end gpu at normal price (so like a 3080 at 699 dollars) is far harder than finding a ps5\sex...
i saw a 3080 going for £1,300 it's meant to be £600 something lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only new game I bought this year that seemed worth the next gen upgrade was RE8. 4K(checkerboarded but hard to notice)/60fps/RT made it a lot better than if I had been still stuck on last gen. I assume Elden Ring will be a similar situation.

It wasn’t a necessary purchase in terms of new games, but I’m damn glad I was able to secure a launch day preorder last year because playing with most of my Xbone library enhanced has been fantastic. Looking forward to Starfield, Fable, and Perfect Dark as well. In general I’m a lot more optimistic about this gen than I was going into PS4/X1/WiiU.
Ya. It wasnt so bad getting early.

I sold my One X, a slew of old $10 games that are already on GP, and an extra controller for $450 cdn.

HTK

Banned
Pretty much the same situation for me. I had money set aside last year for a RTX 3080 but that never panned out. I eventually used that money on my PS5 and XSX. I'm pretty happy with the way that turned out. At some point down the road I'll invest in my PC again, but right now I'm enjoying playing on console especially since 60fps has become pretty much a standard option.

I play Vanguard on my PS5 at 120fps, 103 FOV with my mouse and keyboard. I'm surprised how good it feels. Next year I'm adding the LG 42 inch OLED to the setup and I should be good without a PC for now. Once PC parts become available I'll build one or upgrade to a PS5 Pro or w/e.

Riky

$MSFT
Don't forget Series S turns one as well😊

Was pretty lucky to get two of each and they have both been superb, big step up from last gen, playing Modern Warfare multiplayer upstairs on my One S was getting pretty painful.

Series S was a massive upgrade on my 1080p bedroom set, was playing FH5 on it this morning and it's just superb.
Series X replaced my One X on a 4K 120hz TV and the load times plus 120fps with VRR are just another level.

Really happy with both, happy birthday.

Codes 208

If i didnt already have a competent gaming pc, I would've kept my xbox. Its definitely a good deal for the price and a year later theyre still the more consumer friendly option.

that aside, shame that its been a yesr and both consoles are still awol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'll get a Series X when it's on the store shelves. Not gonna hunt one down, or put any effort into it. If it takes until Nov of 2022 or 2023, so be it.
Not a bad idea either. By that time, tons of games will be out and Series X might even have a refreshed model by then with a bigger SSD.

small_law

I’ve been back and forth between my PC and my Series X with Forza Horizon 5. I’m only now spending serious time with my Series X and I’m very impressed by it. Microsoft hosed out all the Don Mattrick. It’s Microsoft’s PlayStation 4: all the fundamental mistakes they made with the previous platform have been fixed.

The only concerns hardware-wise are the lack of USB 3.2 gen 2 and Wi-Fi 6, but that might be something for a pro model later.

I’ve been back and forth between my PC and my Series X with Forza Horizon 5. I’m only now spending serious time with my Series X and I’m very impressed by it. Microsoft hosed out all the Don Mattrick. It’s Microsoft’s PlayStation 4: all the fundamental mistakes they made with the previous platform have been fixed.

The only concerns hardware-wise are the lack of USB 3.2 gen 2 and Wi-Fi 6, but that might be something for a pro model later.
if they haven't done WiFi 6 by now then they never will. WiFi 6E is a thing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Thankfully there isn‘t much of a reason to pick up an Xbox or Playstation at the moment. Only a handful of „must play“ titles on either system. Though I suspect that will change come 2022 when all the games that were delayed start to get released.

Hopefully they fix their supply issue by that point.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Thankfully there isn‘t much of a reason to pick up an Xbox or Playstation at the moment. Only a handful of „must play“ titles on either system. Though I suspect that will change come 2022 when all the games that were delayed start to get released.

Hopefully they fix their supply issue by that point.
If you’re a console only gamer I’d say the SSD (alongside quick resume on Xbox) is a game changer. Even playing last gen games, I literally don’t know how I used to manage waiting 1-2 minutes for some games to load. I’ve primarily played last gen games on my PS5 and Series S but wouldn’t go back to a PS4 or One S if you paid me a grand.

legacy24

I'm so glad I skipped the Xbox one and got this instead, feels like a huge jump from the 360 I just hope they feed us with great exclusives

ReBurn

Gold Member
What's crazy to me is that I've had XSX for nearly 5 months and I've pretty much only played my existing Xbox library on it. And it's been absolutely fantastic. FH5 will be the first "next gen" game I play on it but the performance enhancements to my older games have been worth the cost so far. I'm going to subscribe to gamepass and get into FH5 and FS.

Top Bottom