• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X turns 1

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If you’re a console only gamer I’d say the SSD (alongside quick resume on Xbox) is a game changer. Even playing last gen games, I literally don’t know how I used to manage waiting 1-2 minutes for some games to load. I’ve primarily played last gen games on my PS5 and Series S but wouldn’t go back to a PS4 or One S if you paid me a grand.

SSD and the Quick Resume *are* nice, but they aren‘t must-have/game changing things, IMO. But I am also the kind of gamer who doesn‘t mind waiting 2-3 minutes at loading screens from older games. I can see some more impatient/„modern“ (for lack of a better term) gamers who can find it a must-have though.

I definitely won‘t return to One X or PS4 if only because there is no need to bring out an older console that doesn‘t have any exclusives on them.

in my personal opinion, xbox series x has not even been touched.

do you guys know any games which are NOT cross gen, and the game engine has been built from the ground up using:

Zen2
RDNA2
SSD for texture streaming
Direct X Ultimate 12 API
FidelityFX Upsampling
Dolby Atmos
Dedicated Sound Processor
Reduced Controller Latency

Last edited:

MachRc

Loving the series X, it was slow after the first 2 months playing tetris effect until my reflexes were like a tigers
a few more months in more sparks from emulators,

Few good games here and there, this gen got me playing all the previous gen games I missed via gamepass, which has been very cool,
I did get to play games I would have not ever given a chance to.
Downloaded many games to play for 10 minutes and delete also too.
Kept busy using cloud and system streaming to my phone and PC(beta) to my office at work which has been godsend. Play Valhalla on the work pc? fuck yeah

All while my friends online and offline said blah, that they'll pick it up when its widely available, that it wasnt worth it right, now blah blah blah.

Got a little better as a SX owner with some newer indies like Descent,
but the Halo infinite flights really made me love it.
And forza H5 is really good. Its been so hard to find anything bad in the game even looking for faults in its seams.
Now all my online and offline friends are asking if the series S is worth it because they still cant find a sX.
Im also realizing for the small percentages of "losses" the system has had, it has some really sick features.
Quick resume is SO gud. I go back and forth from forza 7 to witcher to forza H5 like butter.
as a PCMR person, I find this feature very alluring as a gamer.

FOMO's got me also looking for series S too because theyre saying how its easier to find. (its not)
I would like to replace my kids one s(he doesnt use) to play halo infinite with me (he wont)
but I can always power even more of my dreams if I had it.
No fridge yet,
but atleast I have anniversary controller coming in.

8.9/10 would buy again.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
mEZnRNh.jpg

You all talking about Xbox in here?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
SSD and the Quick Resume *are* nice, but they aren‘t must-have/game changing things, IMO. But I am also the kind of gamer who doesn‘t mind waiting 2-3 minutes at loading screens from older games. I can see some more impatient/„modern“ (for lack of a better term) gamers who can find it a must-have though.

I definitely won‘t return to One X or PS4 if only because there is no need to bring out an older console that doesn‘t have any exclusives on them.
QUick resume for me has made me play some games far more simply because I can walk away when needed.

Hades is one that I played on Switch rather than PC because I could just suspend a run and go about my day. Having it be able to store my state and I can still go play other things is a total game changer imo.

More games need to be better about supporting it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
QUick resume for me has made me play some games far more simply because I can walk away when needed.

Hades is one that I played on Switch rather than PC because I could just suspend a run and go about my day. Having it be able to store my state and I can still go play other things is a total game changer imo.

More games need to be better about supporting it.

I can definitely see that working. But didnt‘ Xbox One also do this (as well as PS4)? By putting your console in rest mode? Or do you mean the ability to quit, play another game mid run, and then return?

Pretty much the same situation for me. I had money set aside last year for a RTX 3080 but that never panned out. I eventually used that money on my PS5 and XSX. I'm pretty happy with the way that turned out. At some point down the road I'll invest in my PC again, but right now I'm enjoying playing on console especially since 60fps has become pretty much a standard option.
I was able to get a 3060ti and ryzen 3600 but ps5 and xsx are all but impossible for me to get. I tried every drop until last July when I started a serious relationship and was more interested in playing her then the consoles anyway. I check from time to time but it's ridiculous how long this bs has happened.
Shit I wanted to upgrade my switch and i couldn't even do that thanks to scalper culture and shit.
When the gen 2 switch came out I was able to update that on day 1 without a pre-order.

This whole situation blows! I never thought I would loose interset in gaming but this lack of supply has me being adamant on wanting one at all anymore. These companies and retailser can f off for not fighting scalpers.

DaGwaphics

I can definitely see that working. But didnt‘ Xbox One also do this (as well as PS4)? By putting your console in rest mode? Or do you mean the ability to quit, play another game mid run, and then return?

They did. The upgrade with quick resume is that you can play something else and still keep the last 4 or 5 save states. They also survive a reboot this time around, which is good for Florida users where little 1min power blips are so common because of electrical storms. Don't get me wrong though, you don't want to use QR as a replacement for save points all together because it can be a little flaky at times.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It did have suspend (xbox one and PS4), but kinda like QR at times, it didnt always work well and didnt allow you to play other games. Once you closed the game or started another, that instance of the application is gone. But as your example, QR allows you to play other games and then come back at the exact spot. I have had Dead Cells and Hades basically always saved and ready whenever I need them and have been able to play Horizon 5 and CoD Vanguard this past week with never losing my spot.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The GOAT of consoles. I was incredibly lucky, and got it on day one. I was 50/50 to wait a couple of weeks before getting one. Couple of friends still couldnt get one to date.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

XSX is my first Xbox ever and I'm having a blast, mainly due to Gamepass. I thought the Switch would be my all time favorite console (N64 nostalgia don't count) but XSX is a serious contender for that spot.

XSX is my first Xbox since 360 (not counting the XSS I returned) and enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I'm a big fan of MS Rewards and the Rewards app on the console with its daily/weekly/monthly quests have been fun to follow and get points. Still wish they would revamp achievements but the way they tie them into the Rewards app helps a bit.

I still prefer PlayStation and that probably won't ever change, but doesn't mean I cannot appreciate the fine job Microsoft has done with Xbox this gen. Xbox Series X long with Game Pass and MS Rewards make for a very compelling combination.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

sounds crazy. we're 1 year into "next gen" and it's still damn difficult to get hold of a console. i've been trying to get an XSX for a year now and no luck. all i can get is the XSS which is a great console but i want the most powerful console i can buy. at this point i might just wait for the inevitable Slim model in a year or two.

same goes for the PS5. it's not quite 1 year old yet but it's no easy to find one anywhere. these consoles are starting to feel dated and not many people can actually buy one.

Perhaps it's different elsewhere? I'm in the US and easily bought both (2 PS5s and an XSX) during holidays last year. Since then - I haven't really tried (no need obviously) - but I did try a few weeks ago to get one to the point where I could buy one - and was able to do so even easier than last year. Had both in my cart/confirmed and could easily have hit buy now but held off..

Now - buying a 3080/90 at MSRP is a completely different story - and I've just given up. At this rate - I'm just hoping my 2080 holds out for another 2 years until cards are readily available again (hopefully)..

Short answer - if you put the work into it - you can/should be able to get a PS5 / XSX by now.. there was a big drought earlier this year after Christmas - but now it's certainly possible... I wouldn't hold off any longer as I think there's going to be another drought later this year.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It did have suspend (xbox one and PS4), but kinda like QR at times, it didnt always work well and didnt allow you to play other games. Once you closed the game or started another, that instance of the application is gone. But as your example, QR allows you to play other games and then come back at the exact spot. I have had Dead Cells and Hades basically always saved and ready whenever I need them and have been able to play Horizon 5 and CoD Vanguard this past week with never losing my spot.

That does sound nice! I try to avoid playing multiple games at once when I can help it. Outside of my MMO of choice FFXIV.

Though I can tell you that I would use the *shit* out of the feature if FFXIV released on Xbox. (It seriously should, the fuck MS/Yoshi P/Square/Sony/Whomever is preventing this!)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That does sound nice! I try to avoid playing multiple games at once when I can help it. Outside of my MMO of choice FFXIV.

Though I can tell you that I would use the *shit* out of the feature if FFXIV released on Xbox. (It seriously should, the fuck MS/Yoshi P/Square/Sony/Whomever is preventing this!)
I tend to be the same way but theres some games I just always go back to. Doom and Doom 2 have some pretty good mods/map packs available that I was using QR with as well which was nice.

I think there will always be an issue with any online connected game as they dont want people taking up space on servers for months doing nothing but there has to be a way to program around this. People much smarter than me will figure it out.

I've been seriously happy with my series X (and series s). I'm very happy I made the jump over. I've never gamed so much thanks to gamepass

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I tend to be the same way but theres some games I just always go back to. Doom and Doom 2 have some pretty good mods/map packs available that I was using QR with as well which was nice.

I think there will always be an issue with any online connected game as they dont want people taking up space on servers for months doing nothing but there has to be a way to program around this. People much smarter than me will figure it out.

Even if it is just to skip the first logging in moment and put you at character select or p[ast the title, that is still a fantastic saving of time for an oft played MMO/title.

Leyasu

Banned
I preordered mine the morning that the preorders went live, then picked it up on launch day.

A great console. I love mine

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
just one year ago i went to gamestop at 8 in the morning to pick up my pre order. It really pissed off the people who waited all night in line to grab a console because they didnt pre order

The SX is one of the most well built console I have ever had. Have been enjoying it quite a lot. I have a huge backlog so it was a perfect fit for me with its very good BC.

Jennings

I've had the Series X on my Xbox Store wishlist since the day it came out last year and the wishlist has shown it as "Out of Stock" every day since. Happy Birthday, though I'm still not 100% sure the console actually exists.

Last edited:

sainraja

sounds crazy. we're 1 year into "next gen" and it's still damn difficult to get hold of a console. i've been trying to get an XSX for a year now and no luck. all i can get is the XSS which is a great console but i want the most powerful console i can buy. at this point i might just wait for the inevitable Slim model in a year or two.

same goes for the PS5. it's not quite 1 year old yet but it's no easy to find one anywhere. these consoles are starting to feel dated and not many people can actually buy one.
Look out for Xbox All Access. Should hopefully be easier to grab it that way!

What's crazy to me is that I've had XSX for nearly 5 months and I've pretty much only played my existing Xbox library on it. And it's been absolutely fantastic. FH5 will be the first "next gen" game I play on it but the performance enhancements to my older games have been worth the cost so far. I'm going to subscribe to gamepass and get into FH5 and FS.
As much I love Forza Horizon 5 myself, I hate to break it to you but its not a true next-gen game. It is still cross-gen and sadly so is Halo Infinite. True current gen (next gen) game will be Starfield which is November of next year and then there is a ton of them in 2023 as far as Xbox/PC exclusives go.

But yes, I agree this first year has been pretty baller, all the cross-gen stuff is a joy to play at higher fidelity, faster loads times and game pass is great as well!

Last edited:

Mega Man

Can we all agree the mid-gen refresh should be named:

Xbox Series X1

Let's be honest, clearly the best option...

JT14

Banned
Had my Series X since October 7, Far Cry 6 bundle with Volt controller through GameStop. Definitely my most played console and a damn good one. Looking forward to future Xbox exclusives

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Really is an outstanding console. It's a damn shame that MS doesn't have more killer exclusives, but it mostly is the best place to play 3rd party games and that counts for a LOT.

Roni

Gold Member

The times demanded a revisit of the PS360 generation. COVID was just as bad as the Financial Crisis. But what do I know, they're making money hand over fist...

Top Bottom