• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X... Worst name of any Console?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Before a battle starts, I'm not a fan of any console, iand honestly I'm not interested in the Xbox brand.

I feel that the name will be a fatal error for the console, as happened with Nintendo with WiiU.

Even for me that i am an expert and a passionate fan of video games, I was thinking that it was a variant of Xbox One X, so I sense that consumers are going to get too confused

I think it would have been the name Xbox Scarlet the most appropriate for the console.

Moreover, it cannot even be abbreviated correctly.

I'm more curious as to why it matters to you. The name is literally the last thing I care about in a console. It could be called Xbox turd, and if it plays games nicely, I'd still be perfectly happy about it.

You really shouldn't be surprised anymore, its Gaf, toy soldiers.

I can't believe I'm commenting on this..simple name as it gets, no sugar coating from MS, continuity of the X.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah.

Time will tell us the truth.

Xbox Scarlett should be the official name, i think was good.

Series x... its like a bunch of differents consoles in a short time... or is the insinuation of the name.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm more curious as to why it matters to you. The name is literally the last thing I care about in a console. It could be called Xbox turd, and if it plays games nicely, I'd still be perfectly happy about it.
You really shouldn't be surprised anymore, its Gaf, toy soldiers.

I can't believe I'm commenting on this..simple name as it gets, no sugar coating from MS, continuity of the X.
It's pretty simple. The two of you are already sold. It didn't matter what the name was, what it looked like, ect. Your pre-order is going in even if they named it Xbox Strap-on. And the fact that you post on a videogame message board means you're more in tune with what's going on than the vast majority of the consumers who MS wants buying this product.

What the rest of us are discussing is what we think are the real-world ramifications of giving your brand new product a confusing name for that vast majority of consumers. It's an interesting discussion and it doesn't automatically mean that hating the name means hating the console.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Bad name? I don't really think so.
However I do agree with your thoughts that general customers might confuse it with a variant of the Xbox One.
I've been very busy the past few weeks and completely forgot the VGA's were on and I saw the trailer for the xbox on youtube which I thought was just some new xbox variant or product until I googled it and I'm definitely a heavy user.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The future is now dude

:messenger_sunglasses:

N5h26RW.gif

After Xbox 360, they completely lost track of how to name their consoles. Xbox Scorpion or whatever sounds way better and recognizable than what they are still doing. Imagine being a somewhat clueless parent and want to get your kid a new xbox. Your options:

Xbox ONE
Xbox ONE X
Xbox ONE S
Xbox ONE S discless
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series Y?

Its ridiculous. Whats wrong with Scarlett or Scorpion or etc. These sound like washing machine models.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So what did you think about the actual point being made? That this name could be a hurdle to consumers?

I kept it at 2 sentences for you since that appears to be as far as you can get.

The actual point being made by the OP is "I don't care about Xbox but blah blah blah."

When you don't care about a console, the name seems literally the last thing relevant to worry about.

If a console is a good product, has good services, games, and marketing, the name is zero issues. I see the Wii U brought up, and the Wii U simply did not fulfill those conditions.

Codes 208

Before a battle starts, I'm not a fan of any console, iand honestly I'm not interested in the Xbox brand.

I feel that the name will be a fatal error for the console, as happened with Nintendo with WiiU.

Even for me that i am an expert and a passionate fan of video games, I was thinking that it was a variant of Xbox One X, so I sense that consumers are going to get too confused

I think it would have been the name Xbox Scarlet the most appropriate for the console.

Moreover, it cannot even be abbreviated correctly.
Xbox SX

like my iphone XS

oh, and my vote goes to wii u. Or 2ds.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Very confusing for the average consumer. We will all know the difference but it’s close to the Xbox one X and I can just imagine I’ll informed parents being extremely confused by this. It also looks like crap but we have yet to see PS5 so it could look equally crap. Let the next gen games begin. 2020 is going to be awesome finding out details of both these devices.

Smasher89

Is it a microsoft tv series? I bet that will be a question asked more than once.
Edit of course it's, getting closer to that tvtvtv goal.

Last edited:
So here's the reason behind name.

They want Xbox name then they will release series of hardware Series X high end and S low end. And its aimed at hardcore only and hardcore know what they buying.

Not a good name but i understand why they choosed it

Av
Very confusing for the average consumer. We will all know the difference but it’s close to the Xbox one X and I can just imagine I’ll informed parents being extremely confused by this. It also looks like crap but we have yet to see PS5 so it could look equally crap. Let the next gen games begin. 2020 is going to be awesome finding out details of both these devices.
Avg consumer not gonna buy it anyway

onQ123

The name is good because it makes it clear that they are building on the Xbox name & not creating a new Xbox ___ platform .

When you see that name it let you know that it is a ongoing project .

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
oh my god it's the Series X cuz it's the base model
it all makes sense now
There's gonna be an enhanced model. And Lockhart, the lite model. Xbox Series S, Xbox Series Z, Xbox Series Ω. Wonder what they'll call the pocket model.

Adam_802

I think the new console is just called "Xbox" and the "Series" is just the version of it, so for example the "series X" will be the premium most powerful "anaconda" version (like the xbox one x), and the "series S" will be the "lockhart" less powerful slim version (like the xbox one S). Name makes a lot more sense if you look at it like that.

Basically just replace the word "one" with "series" and its the same naming convention as it currently is.

xbox one x = xbox series x (Anaconda)
xbox one s = xbox series s (Lockhart)

MS just got rid of the "one" branding is all.

Mattyp

Gold Member
If people can't make sense of Apple or Xbox naming conventions I have little hope for the position of work they do to even buy the products in the first place.

Last edited:
It's sounds dumb as shit to say but people looking to buy the new Xbox shouldn't be confused as least. I'm curious to see if they stick with "Series" tag but I doubt it.

HUELEN10

This name's goal is obviously to start a future trend of new models instead of new consoles. Much like phones. This one is the series X.
This is exactly what I see happening. They really wanna follow the PC upgrade model, so IF there are 2 boxes for 9th gen, it will be Xbox Series S and the revealed Xbox Series X, low and high end respectively. Then, mid-gen they can do “pro” versions and sell them as Xbox Series S+ and Xbox Series X+, followed by eventual 10th gen successors Xbox Series S2 and Xbox Series X2, and so on and so on...

This naming scheme, or something like it, is a absolutely reflective of their new vision. Besides, Xbox is no longer a console, it’s a platform.

mcz117chief

Avg consumer not gonna buy it anyway
You think the entire next gen focuses only on hardcore games? Hardcore games build high end PCs, they don't buy consumer electronics. The whole idea behind gaming consoles is to bring affordable high-end gaming to the masses.

Last edited:

Moses85

This name's goal is obviously to start a future trend of new models instead of new consoles. Much like phones. This one is the series X.

Both, Sony and Microsoft already confirmed this with their launches of PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. So this is nothing new.

And yet phones are named with plain and logically progressing series of numbers iphone 11, Galaxy 10 etc.

While the Xbox names are nonsense and just create consumer confusion.

ZywyPL

Banned
Much worse sounding that X1S and X1X, but it fits their strategy of Xbox being a brand/platform instead of just a gaming console hardware - they can use the name infinitely and just keep announcing a new X/S series Xbox!" just like a new Razer Blade 13/15/17, new Apple Macbook/Pro/Air and so on. Makes sense. I'll call it simply XBX and XBS.

What is even more dumb is that this does not help at all the naming for whatever comes after this.

What are they going to call it? The Xbox Series Y? Xbox Series X2?

Why didnt they just call this console the Xbox Y or X2 then?

They are not making things any easier for themselves or the consumers.

Especially mainstream consumers who do not follow tech new closely. Most people will just read Xbox Series X and assume its the same as Xbox One X released in 2017.

Last edited:
Re: "Future Trend":

The console after this one will launch in 2027 or later. This is so far off in the future that chances are high that any current naming convention will be dropped altogether again.

Fuck, I'll be over 40 by then ...

Top Bottom