• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X... Worst name of any Console?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Before a battle starts, I'm not a fan of any console, iand honestly I'm not interested in the Xbox brand.

I feel that the name will be a fatal error for the console, as happened with Nintendo with WiiU.

Even for me that i am an expert and a passionate fan of video games, I was thinking that it was a variant of Xbox One X, so I sense that consumers are going to get too confused

I think it would have been the name Xbox Scarlet the most appropriate for the console.

Moreover, it cannot even be abbreviated correctly.
Hey genius, you know its just called Xbox, right? Its the X series, meaning its the elite in a series of consoles under the Xbox brand.

GHG

I'm more curious as to why it matters to you. The name is literally the last thing I care about in a console. It could be called Xbox turd, and if it plays games nicely, I'd still be perfectly happy about it.

It's not about you, it's about how it will be perceived in the public realm. People are already getting it wrong and it's been a matter of hours.

Far too closely named to an existing SKU.

Gavon West

It's pretty simple. The two of you are already sold. It didn't matter what the name was, what it looked like, ect. Your pre-order is going in even if they named it Xbox Strap-on. And the fact that you post on a videogame message board means you're more in tune with what's going on than the vast majority of the consumers who MS wants buying this product.

What the rest of us are discussing is what we think are the real-world ramifications of giving your brand new product a confusing name for that vast majority of consumers. It's an interesting discussion and it doesn't automatically mean that hating the name means hating the console.
You literally have to be an idiot if you find the name confusing. Nothing confusing about it whatsoever.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm more curious as to why it matters to you. The name is literally the last thing I care about in a console. It could be called Xbox turd, and if it plays games nicely, I'd still be perfectly happy about it.

For me personally it does might lead to missunderstanding among many casuals

Might create confusion between Xbox One X and Xbox One Series X

Off course fellow hardcore gamers like us who frequent gaming websites wont get confused, we already know what were getting

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Exactly this + the design man. Designs won’t change the fact of anything inside that design, but it still matters to me.

Ar¢tos

Are they naming a car or a console?

How will they separate the lockhart from the scarlett in names after?
Xbox Series X lite vs Xbox Series X?
Xbox series X 1 and 2?
and the midgen refreshes?
Xbox series X X vs Xbox series X lite X?

Personally I wanted it to be called Xbox Reloaded/Revenge. But ohh well, it'll will just grow on people in the coming years. Just like I never liked the name Xbox One yet grew on me.

The Shepard

They should have made the xbox one the xbox 720, then this console the xbox 1080. Could have easily added x's and s's on the end for the upgrades. Xbox series X is just a mouthful and could easily be confused with the xbox one x.

Otterz4Life

I can think of, like, 4 worse named consoles right off the top of my head. Wii, Wii U, Turbografix and the Xbox 360. GameCube is also a dumb name. That’s five. PlayStation isn’t confusing, but it’s boring as hell. They just slap the next number on the end.

I doubt there will be much confusion when MS pulls the Xbox One from store shelves before Series X launches, which would be the smart thing to do. There won’t be a better time to turn the page on the One.

If they do reveal a lower priced “Series S” that will launch beside the X, it’s game over for the One. There would be no reason for it to exist as this new line of consoles can play Xbox One games.

I would think they’d pull the One X regardless as it will truly have no place in the market. Enthusiasts will just buy the Series X. The One S would be the cheap, entry level option so it would stay for a limited time.

I love the design. Compared to the controller, which looks amazing, it’s smaller than a lot of you guys are making it out to be.

CyberPanda

Banned
The names fine and makes sense. And at the end of the day it’s just a name. If it plays games nicely, that’s all that matters.

I doubt there will be much confusion when MS pulls the Xbox One from store shelves before Series X launches, which would be the smart thing to do. There won’t be a better time to turn the page on the One.

Remove it? You mean the one that has the biggest instal base, they will just remove it and make people buy only the new one? Are you mad :messenger_tears_of_joy: Until recently PS3 was still in production even though PS5 is almost here. They will be pumping the old consoles with lowered prices for a very very long time.

Otterz4Life

Remove it? You mean the one that has the biggest instal base, they will just remove it and make people buy only the new one? Are you mad :messenger_tears_of_joy: Until recently PS3 was still in production even though PS5 is almost here. They will be pumping the old consoles with lowered prices for a very very long time.
If the Xbox One had sold better, I’d agree with you, but it didn’t. MS moved on from the OG Xbox to the 360 very quickly, too.

Maybe they do stick around if the Series X doesn’t sell well. If the Series X is a hit, the One is going away quick. Like, before Fall 2021.

Hey genius, you know its just called Xbox, right? Its the X series, meaning its the elite in a series of consoles under the Xbox brand.
THIS. I dont know if some people on this forum are dumb or just trolling. Microsoft is also at fault, because they have only shown one console so the series part doesnt make sense now.

mcjmetroid

Terrible reveal and terrible confusing name.
Not saying Scarlett was much better but at least it was distinctive.
They have done a lot to build up good will and making some very good decisions but it seems this past year they've shat the bed.

Dontero

Banned
Well MS doesn't want to compete with PS or anyone else this is why they named it in such way that you won't be confused and you will know this is just Xbox One with extra power. So no need to buy it other than you having 8k display.

Well done MS, you killed your console before it even lived.

truth411

Before a battle starts, I'm not a fan of any console, iand honestly I'm not interested in the Xbox brand.

I feel that the name will be a fatal error for the console, as happened with Nintendo with WiiU.

Even for me that i am an expert and a passionate fan of video games, I was thinking that it was a variant of Xbox One X, so I sense that consumers are going to get too confused

I think it would have been the name Xbox Scarlet the most appropriate for the console.

Moreover, it cannot even be abbreviated correctly.

Yes it can, the abbreviation is literally: Xbox SeX

Grinchy

Banned
You literally have to be an idiot if you find the name confusing. Nothing confusing about it whatsoever.

The average customer of this product is of average intelligence. So yes, the majority of the people MS wants buying this thing are idiots and they will find it confusing.

You're looking at it from the perspective of a nerd who sits on a videogame forum praising Microsoft all day. You are part of the 1%. Selling it to 80M people absolutely requires making it simple to understand for the average idiots. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp, but you have to look outside of your own perception of things for 3 seconds for it to be possible to see it properly.

Bullet Club

Xbox Sex, what better name could you have?
Which will be shortened even more to XSex.

GIMOIBL.jpg

odhiex

I could see several reasons behind their naming convention, one of which would give them flexibility to put the "XBOX series"... in their line up of consoles/hardware. They could also introduce several tiers of consoles, according to their specs/prices.

XBOX Series X (premium)
XBOX Series S (Lockhart)
XBOX Series Z (their next pro update lol)
XBOX Series Cloud, etc.

I am not saying that this is a great naming, but I think this is far from the worst.

Stuart360

At the end of the day, Xbox 360 sounded real dumb at the time, Xbox One even more so, both names caught on with me (especially 360), and it will be the same with this one.
You know everyone is going to just call in the 'SeX', or the 'Xbox SeX' amyway lol.

Gavon West

I can't even with the Sex reference. The fools who came up with it, not to mention the ones repeating it sound like they ain't had no ass in a long, long time. You guys sound desperate AF. And salty..

But hey.... Do you.

Gavon West

If you think sounding like desperate, no ass getting geeks is fun, have at it, bro. I imagine a bunch of you salty, miserable wankers ain't got shit else to do. Clearly...

Like I said, do you...

And then what's even funnier, y'all blame Microsoft for that stupid ass name and got nerve to be concerned about casuals getting confused. Lol. Da Fook????

And then the abbreviation y'all came up with doesn't even work. You gotta force that shit. Let's see:

Xbox Series. X. Hmm....

Where the fuck is the "E" even coming in at tho? That's not how abbreviations work!.... LMAO!

Go get laid, then come back... desperate ass geeks. The lot!

Last edited:

Diddy X

Yep, name and design made me doubt it was a nextgen Xbox but it is ofcourse, they will have to put enphasis on it being NEXT-GEN in the ads

Last edited:

Stuart360

If you think sounding like desperate, no ass getting geeks is fun, have at it, bro. I imagine a bunch of you salty, miserable wankers ain't got shit else to do. Clearly...

Like I said, do you...
Jesus Christ dude, someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!, jeez.
Also you know people are going to call it that, so better get used to it.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Wow this was unexpected.

I love the design personally. It's sleek and sophisticated.

People complaining about the name are right though, you've got to forget how much we know on this forum and apply it to the masses. It's going to get confusing fast.

It's interesting Microsoft have played their cards so much earlier than Sony. Sony can react to this reception, at least in a marketing sense. I also think it puts more pressure on them for backwards compatibility.

Gavon West

Jesus Christ dude, someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!, jeez.
Also you know people are going to call it that, so better get used to it.
I know. It'll be easy to know whos smashing chicks and who's smashing greased palms. ;)

Top Bottom