• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Twitter/X Just Confirmed Their Biggest Games Will Be Multiplatform

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Explain it to me three more times and maybe I'll catch up
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

This along with Major Nelson throwing a little shade at MS/Xbox after he retired and praising Sony/PS in the same breath... definitely an internal disruption at camp Redmond.

Last edited:

Leonidas

And the majority of GTAV runs on PS4, with each copy getting Sony 30% pure profit. This is made possible because of their hardware dominance, which was possible because of 1st party games.
PS4 does not have the majority of GTAV sales. The majority of 195M would be 98M.

PS4 is not even the highest selling console when it comes to GTAV, The PS3 sold a bit better. Even the Xbox 360 version was higher for a number of years :messenger_sun:

Last edited:
Did you watch/ listen to the podcast?

This is in line with what they were saying eventually will happen. Currently no plans for games such as Starfield or Avowed, Halo, Gears, etc to go multiplatform. But they didn't rule it out ever happening in the distant future. And also the point was articulated that games made in the future, across the industry there will gradually be fewer and fewer games made in general that are exclusive to one platform over another.

Leonidas

You think Xbox sales were bad last gen and this. That game being exclusive would have crushed them where they would not even be in this gen with a box.
Meaningless speculation.

One could also say the following.

If these games were all multiplatform they would be 40-80M sellers instead of hitting the 16-20M Sony console sales cap.

Spider-Man
God of War
Uncharted 4

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meaningless speculation.

If these games were all multiplatform they would be 40-80M sellers instead of hitting the 16-20M Sony console sales cap.

Spider-Man
God of War
Uncharted 4
It's not meaningless. It's common sense. And those games would mean less consoles sold for Sony, which would mean less investment in those types of games. It's all interconnected, you see.

Now where are you getting your GTAV sales numbers?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Meaningless speculation.

Spider-Man
God of War
Uncharted 4
As of May 2023, God of War (2018) sold 23 million, and Spider-Man 2018 + Miles had reached 33 million two years ago (meaning we don't even know the splits and they've surely sold many more since then).

Also, still waiting on your GTA V numbers.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Really? Where is this listed/stated?
I was looking at old data (wikipedia top sellers chart), turns out PS4 did eventually surpass Xbox 360, but Xbox 360 did do 23M.

As of May 2023, God of War (2018) sold 23 million, and Spider-Man 2018 + Miles had reached 33 million two years ago (meaning we don't even know the splits and they've surely sold many more since then).
And it would have sold more if it came to PC sooner and if it launched to Xbox.

The games I listed topped out at 16-20M on PS4.

They would have doubled that, easily, if they were multiplatform releases (PC+Xbox).

I hope nobody bought it 7 times

Usually you stay within the same platform (Playstation or Xbox)
I hope nobody bought it 3 times, but I'm sure someone did, I heard Sony was offering upgrades to the PS5 version...

I'm just glad I only needed one PC copy, with no upgrades. My upgrade is, I buy a new graphics card and I can run it at higher FPS/resolution/settings...

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I was looking at old data (wikipedia top sellers chart), turns out PS4 did eventually surpass Xbox 360, but Xbox 360 did do 23M.

And it would have sold more if it came to PC sooner and if it launched to Xbox.

The games I listed topped out at 16-20M on PS4.

They would have doubled that, easily, if they were multiplatform releases (PC+Xbox).
They would not have doubled anything because a. PlayStation fans would mainly buy it on a PlayStation (like Final Fantasy) and b. no PlayStation release on PC has ever helped a PlayStation game double its sales (Helldivers being the exception for the type of game it is). Majority of PS IP sales come from the PlayStation itself because that's where the majority of fans are. Nothing is stopping PC users from getting the game when it finally releases on their platform.

Besides, this "topping out on PS4" — that's your own arbitrary nonsense. Under no market circumstance is selling 16-20 million units bad. Most multiplatform franchises do not sell like that.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Its true, or do you think these massive blockbusters would have failed on other platforms?

The best Sony can do sticking to their current strategy is selling around 20M, maybe 2-3 games reach that on PS5. And then doing a remaster/upgrade for the next machine in order to squeeze another $10 out of them or whatever they charge for those upgrades.

Seems like Sony would make a lot more money had they just ported the games over to Mulitplatforms as Hiroki Totoki has been alluding to.
no PlayStation release on PC has ever helped a PlayStation game double its sales (Helldivers being the exception for the type of game it is).
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Under no market circumstance is selling 16-20 million units bad.
It is very bad when you could be selling 30-40-50-60-70-80 million copies.

We'll never know till Sony actually goes and does it, and I suspect we will find out sooner rather than later. Sony console sales seem to be dropping compared to last gen, its not a good sign to continue capping out at the same numbers you were doing last gen, especially when those blockbusters cost more to make today.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is very bad when you could be selling 30-40-50-60-70-80 million copies.

We'll never know till Sony actually goes and does it, and I suspect we will find out sooner rather than later. Sony console sales seem to be dropping compared to last gen, its not a good sign to continue capping out at the same numbers you were doing last gen, especially when those blockbusters cost more to make today.
Cool. Emojis! I love them! Name the PlayStation game who's sales doubled (or grew exponentially) with a follow-up PC release. ⌛

And I won't even waste my time with the "very bad" stuff. Clearly there's just no clue spinning there.

Last edited:

Leonidas

An anomaly is your example of a potential trend? o_O
And the only other examples we have of Sony games on PC are 2-6 year old games. A 2-6 year old game is never going to match a game that is released day/date in sales.

We'll have to wait for more examples of Sony games launching day and date on PC, I'm sure we'll have a few examples before the gen is up...

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
We'll have to wait for another Sony game is released day and date to see how the PC version fares.
In other words, those games would double on PC because they are desired. Meaning — they can't be bad games if they have the potential to double in sales on another platform. Easy 🏀

Last edited:

laynelane

Some people are just too sensitive for this world. Besides other reasons mentioned, if you put the PS box in a different placement it wouldn't show very well due to being smaller. As well, I wonder if this is a portent for other games and physical editions in the future. LRG doesn't have the best reputation.

I hope people aren't taking their anger out on developers. It's not their decision to publish on other consoles (although I'm sure they're happy about it).

DavidGzz

I mean, PC and Xbox are two different platforms and there was that deal about CoD but don't stop eating that popcorn port beggers. Lol

Top Bottom