• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Twitter/X Just Confirmed Their Biggest Games Will Be Multiplatform

Ok this one is funny af.

Oh No What GIF by Identity

Blood Borne

I’m not an expert, but from a layman’s perspective, Sony has sold 130+ million PS4s and 55+ million PS5s, in addition to selling a ton of software and are still not happy with their profits.

Then you can imagine the dire state Xbox is in, given that they’ve only sold 55+ million Xbox Ones and 25+ million Xbox Series S|X, in addition to spending over 80-fuckin-billion dollars buying studios.
Its financial report sheet is just awful. It gives you an idea how much the CEO and CFO of Xbox are panicking. How can they justify the Xbox division to investors and shareholders?

I’m not an expert, but from a layman’s perspective, Sony has sold 130+ million PS4s and 55+ million PS5s, in addition to selling a ton of software and are still not happy with their profits.

Then you can imagine the dire state Xbox is in, given that they’ve only sold 55+ million Xbox Ones and 25+ million Xbox Series S|X, in addition to spending over 80-fuckin-billion dollars buying studios.
Its financial report sheet is just awful. It gives you an idea how much the CEO and CFO of Xbox are panicking. How can they justify the Xbox division to investors and shareholders?

Why leave the people responsible in charge is my question

I imagine they'd be giving the shareholders the 'bigger picture' by saying that they're in the growth phase of the new subscription, and multiplatform strategy and the profit will come down the track on the back of the revenue those acquisitions will generate.

Imagine there is a rumor of a family member being heavy into drugs. Then after a week of trying to get a hold of said member, his statement is 'nah I just took a few asprin and pain meds that's all':messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Then the following week you see that member post on social media 'Crack laced with Herione is my Jam!:messenger_open_mouth:

drganon

Its true, or do you think these massive blockbusters would have failed on other platforms?

The best Sony can do sticking to their current strategy is selling around 20M, maybe 2-3 games reach that on PS5. And then doing a remaster/upgrade for the next machine in order to squeeze another $10 out of them or whatever they charge for those upgrades.

Seems like Sony would make a lot more money had they just ported the games over to Mulitplatforms as Hiroki Totoki has been alluding to.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is very bad when you could be selling 30-40-50-60-70-80 million copies.

We'll never know till Sony actually goes and does it, and I suspect we will find out sooner rather than later. Sony console sales seem to be dropping compared to last gen, its not a good sign to continue capping out at the same numbers you were doing last gen, especially when those blockbusters cost more to make today.
big-pile-of-shit-jurassic-park.gif

Astray

Gold Member
I’d be amazed to be honest if that was true. From what I’ve seen they can do no wrong in many peoples view and there is a complete lack of objectivity towards them in the media.

It’s only a very small percentage of us Xbox fans who differ.
The one group of people whose opinions matter are the Microsoft board, basically people like Satya Nadella Amy Hood etc.

I do not foresee them sticking with this mess for long. It takes one meeting to make this entire regime unravel imo.

The one group of people whose opinions matter are the Microsoft board, basically people like Satya Nadella Amy Hood etc.

I do not foresee them sticking with this mess for long. It takes one meeting to make this entire regime unravel imo.

Time will tell I guess . As I said I’d be amazed. As much as I don’t like the leadership/management I suspect it would be a waste of time hoping for things to get better because of the chance similar people will replace them.

What I want them to be has little chance of happening (more like PlayStation and Nintendo basically but striving to be better than them)

Leonidas

The fact that Sony consoles caps the sales of Sony exclusive games?
The fact that AAA games cost more to make this gen compared to last gen?
The fact that Sony games would have much higher sales if they were multiplatform?

Which part of my post is wrong?

There's a reason pretty much every PS exclusive is going to PC these days, including PSVR2. To remove that cap and allow the games to sell better than a PS-only game can.

Last edited:
The fact that Sony games would have much higher sales if they were multiplatform?

There's a reason pretty much every PS exclusive is going to PC these days, including PSVR2. To remove that cap and allow the games to sell better than a PS-only game can.

wrong phrasing.

is not about "selling better" is about maximizing revenue, expanding audience reach, building anticipation for sequels/ entice people to your platform

SHA

Who cares, all I care about is releasing good games, it's actually unethical to talk about games I'm not invested with my time and money, that actually tells how much of contents scarcity in that platform, non the less, there are real bigger problems we should care about, the habit of abandoning creativity for newer games for the sake of 20+ years old overmilked ips should be stopped, we knew creativity has no limits and good games could be made no matter what the situation is, it's actually in the hands of its creators who could make or break the industry, we all deserve great games anyway, and don't care if it hurt older ips, I'm fine if it swallowed bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, ABK on breakfast, who cares?

Last edited:

Leonidas

wrong phrasing.

is not about "selling better" is about maximizing revenue, expanding audience reach, building anticipation for sequels/ entice people to your platform
Sony's not going to entice many PC players when their biggest games are already coming to PC. PC players don't want paid online. Enthusiast PC players don't want 30-60 FPS, or to run their games on what is now considered low end hardware...

The only way Sony will entice PC players to their platform, is if Sony creates a PlayStation Store for PC games.

Sony's not going to entice many PC players when their biggest games are already coming to PC. PC players don't want paid online. Enthusiast PC players don't want 30-60 FPS, or to run their games on what is now considered low end hardware...
if only 1 out of 10 people decides to buy a Play Station console as a complementary to their PC. that would be mission accomplished.

The only way Sony will entice PC players to their platform, is if Sony creates a PlayStation Store for PC games.
and even with that the only differentiator between steam (the superior store) and a PS PC store, would be the exclusives.

For sony the Play Station console/closed ecosystem/30% cut is insanely important. damaging this platform would be catastrophic no just for PS but for Sony as well.

Raonak

Banned

Your post wrongly assumes that sony cares more about selling high number of games over prioritising their platform.
They don't. The margins in being a game publisher is low regardless of how many platforms you publish to.

The real money is being the platform owner. Valve, Sony, Nintendo, Apple.
They all know that taking 30% from every single transaction is where the big money is.
Even Epic, the owner of the biggest game in existance, wants in on the storefront/platform race.

Microsoft and Sega are going multiplatform because their own platforms failed.
They didn't do it because they love gamers or whatever PR bullshit MS wants you to believe.
They did it because they were forced. the competetion was simply too strong.

You got it the wrong way around. PC games will be playable on PSVR2. But PSVR2 exclusive games (e.g. GT7, Horizon) are still not available on PC.

Last edited:

laynelane

Fanboy is salty

I've always found the self-importance of people like colteastwood to be amusing. "You don't become the BIGGEST Games Publisher..."(note capitalism of biggest and games publisher) is right up there with "you don't purchase Zenimax and/or ABK to publish games on other platforms". Just no matter how wrong he and people like him are or how many times, they actually think their opinions carry serious weight generally and with MS itself too.

Last edited:

Leonidas

if only 1 out of 10 people decides to buy a Play Station console as a complementary to their PC. that would be mission accomplished.
They would sell minimal software to someone who's primarly platform is PC, they already bring their biggest games to PC (God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, TLOU, etc.).

I have a PS5, but I'll probably never buy a PS5 game, since they are appearing on PC, I'd hate to pay $40-$70 on a game stuck at console settings. I use the PS5 as a PS4, since there are still some PS4 games which haven't made it to PC.

Your post wrongly assumes that sony cares more about selling high number of games over prioritising their platform.
They don't. The margins in being a game publisher is low regardless of how many platforms you publish to.
I thought it was all about making the most money for their shareholders. If they want to make less money, sure they can keep their games locked behind their box, but they aren't. PC already has the biggest PS4 games, and they have most of the biggest PS5 games.

You got it the wrong way around. PC games will be playable on PSVR2. But PSVR2 exclusive games (e.g. GT7, Horizon) are still not available on PC.
And you don't think those will arrive after PSVR2 comes to PC?

PC will likely not only have the biggest PS games, but also the biggest PSVR games too.

Last edited:
They would sell minimal software to someone who's primarly platform is PC, they already bring their biggest games to PC (God of War, Spider-Man, Uncharted, TLOU, etc.).
well exactly, this why the console is super important.

I have a PS5, but I'll probably never buy a PS5 game, since they are appearing on PC, I'd hate to pay $40-$70 on a game stuck at console settigns. I use the PS5 as a PS4, since there are still some PS4 games which haven't made it to PC.
and that is the point. Exclusives are and they will continue to be the most powerful way to make people buy a console/engage in a PC store (that is not steam).

I thought it was all about making the most money for their shareholders. If they want to make less money, sure they can keep their games locked behind their box, but they aren't. PC already has the biggest PS4 games, and they have most of the biggest PS5 games.
sony made 1 Billion from genshin impact. that's "free money" thanks to PS having a strong console in the market.

I said this many times before:

It's about understanding each platform (PC, Console, Mobile) idiosyncrasies and deliver in that basis.

Leonidas

and that is the point. Exclusives are and they will continue to be the most powerful way to make people buy a console/engage in a PC store (that is not steam).
I don't get it... continually bringing the biggest games to PC, and shortening the delay isn't going to get a PC gamer to buy a console. It will get them to wait for the PC version to arrive (which is a lot sooner this gen, and could get even quicker in the future).

There's no PS5 game I can point to that I think will remain exclusive.

I don't get it... continually bringing the biggest games to PC, and shortening the delay isn't going to get a PC gamer to buy a console. It will get them to wait for the PC version to arrive (which is a lot sooner this gen, and could get even quicker in the future).
the list i made was not mutually exclusive.

1.maximizing revenue
2. expanding audience reach.
3. building anticipation for sequels/
entice people to your platform

there's no PS5 game I can point to that I think will remain exclusive.
since there are still some PS4 games which haven't made it to PC.
you have a console for a reason, right? that's how it works.

Leonidas

you have a console for a reason, right? that's how it works.
I have a Series X for the same reason, for backwards compatibility, since I'm not throwing away the games that I bought back in 2019 and earlier.

But I see no future where I buy a next-generation console if all the games end up on PC like it seems this gen is going.

I can easily see the PS5 & Series X being my last home consoles.

Last edited:
I have a Series X for the same reason, for backwards compatibility, since I'm not throwing away the games that I bought back in 2019 and earlier.

But I see no future where I buy a next-generation console if all the games end up on PC like it seems this gen is going.

I can easily see the PS5/Series X being my last home console.
that's something sony needs to figure out.

im just saying that what you see is ignoring sony's strong need to have a strong console as a way to have a close ecosystem and the 30% cut among other benefits.

Fredrik

The only game that Microsoft has that I can see people plopping money down for their hardware (as opposed to waiting) is CoD and that's under legal obligation to remain multiplat for the next decade. Folks aren't enticed to buy Xbox hardware now, so taking another reason to buy it away is continuing to pour gasoline on that fire.

Whatever significant competition existed between the two is largely over.
Kinda agree. But they have a ton of studios. I’m sure there will be games that people want to play, and if they start doing timed exclusivity on everything like Sony do then some will buy the hardware needed instead of waiting for an unknown amount of time.

But personally I don’t think it’ll be a big enough group to matter. From a platform holder perspective it’s dumb tbh. Look at PC sales of previous Playstation exclusives. LTTP releases aren’t exactly setting the world on fire.

And the consequence? I can take myself as an example, I’ve now decided to wait on the PC releases instead of playing on PS5, simply because I’ll rather play on PC.

I see people do exactly that with LTTP releases of previous Xbox exclusives on Playstation too. I don’t see it snowballing a new sales spike of Xbox consoles. It’s an absurd strategy. The idea that people will buy hardware just to skip a 1-2 year timed exclusivity is dumb. It’s at most a handful of games for $600.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Luckily Sony isn't run by PC fanboys lol

You beggars should be happy you at least get your gaas games, and some old ports. Your extra sales are a nice little bonus, but peanuts compared to the amount of money the PS Store is printing.

Maybe Sony will throw you guys a bone and port tlou2 and demons souls? Or maybe they won't lol.

Keep huffing that hopium that Sony is as dumb as MS when it comes to keeping people interested in their main cash cow; the PlayStation platform.

While the rest of us play two more excellent PS5 exclusives in FF7 Rebirth and Stellar Ass

You beggars should be happy you at least get your gaas games, and some old ports. Your extra sales are a nice little bonus, but peanuts compared to the amount of money the PS Store is printing.

Maybe Sony will throw you guys a bone and port tlou2 and demons souls? Or maybe they won't lol.

Keep huffing that hopium that Sony is as dumb as MS when it comes to keeping people interested in their main cash cow; the PlayStation platform.

While the rest of us play two more excellent PS5 exclusives in FF7 Rebirth and Stellar Ass
Is this a satire post? I can never tell in here.

Killjoy-NL

It does come at the cost of worse performance.

I keep seeing how poor the ports are with every release.
PC-ports seem to be handled like an after-thought, except for a GaaS-title like Helldivers 2.
There's no PS5 game I can point to that I think will remain exclusive.
How is Demon's Souls Remake on PC?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Kinda agree. But they have a ton of studios. I’m sure there will be games that people want to play, and if they start doing timed exclusivity on everything like Sony do then some will buy the hardware needed instead of waiting for an unknown amount of time.

But personally I don’t think it’ll be a big enough group to matter. From a platform holder perspective it’s dumb tbh. Look at PC sales of previous Playstation exclusives. LTTP releases aren’t exactly setting the world on fire.

And the consequence? I can take myself as an example, I’ve now decided to wait on the PC releases instead of playing on PS5, simply because I’ll rather play on PC.

I see people do exactly that with LTTP releases of previous Xbox exclusives on Playstation too. I don’t see it snowballing a new sales spike of Xbox consoles. It’s an absurd strategy. The idea that people will buy hardware just to skip a 1-2 year timed exclusivity is dumb. It’s at most a handful of games for $600.
Issue is, Microsoft already opened the can of worms that is everything is day/date PC/Xbox. Exclusivity like that obviously wasn’t working in the first place, so going back makes no sense.

Sony’s situation is entirely different. They still depend very much on the exclusive. You choosing to wait is fine, but that’s not what the majority of people will do. And they know this.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Time will tell I guess . As I said I’d be amazed. As much as I don’t like the leadership/management I suspect it would be a waste of time hoping for things to get better because of the chance similar people will replace them.

What I want them to be has little chance of happening (more like PlayStation and Nintendo basically but striving to be better than them)
I'm not holding my breath or anything, but no one fails upwards forever.

Eotheod

Yet they just acquired one of the most profitable companies to date in gaming history and who has a tendency to generate billions of dollars of profit. Also have you seen Microsoft's run sheet as a company total? They are the definition of technology giants, running losses and profits everywhere in order to capture market and dominate/control elements.
Issue is, Microsoft already opened the can of worms that is everything is day/date PC/Xbox. Exclusivity like that obviously wasn’t working in the first place, so going back makes no sense.

Sony’s situation is entirely different. They still depend very much on the exclusive. You choosing to wait is fine, but that’s not what the majority of people will do. And they know this.
Sony have also stated they can't rely on the old model anymore. Hell, there are no exclusive first party games in FY24-25 from existing franchises because its too fucking expensive and development timelines are now looking at one a gen from the big studios. How is that even profitable without going multiplatform?

Plus, what does it matter to the consumer if the games are across all plastic boxes? They can compete on specs and prices for once instead of locking shit away that just fractures playerbases.

So much money that their financial report had investors (yes, I know that doesn't carry much) dumping stocks causing dip in stock prices. Plus they've forecasted less sales, more PC titles and PSVR2 coming to PC.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

You are being too console hardware centric. Think about it this way - before the aquisition Activision Blizzard had sold zero consoles ever - was their financial sheet awful? I mean sure they were spending $1 billion on Kotick helicopter rides but they were still making money. We didn't know what the Xbox division balance sheet looks like, but don't be surprised if it isn't as bad as the shitty console sales would lead you to believe.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony have also stated they can't rely on the old model anymore. Hell, there are no exclusive first party games in FY24-25 from existing franchises because its too fucking expensive and development timelines are now looking at one a gen from the big studios. How is that even profitable without going multiplatform?
Sony also stated that none of their games are coming to other consoles (let it goooooo) and they already release stuff on PC. That's their version of "multiplat". And Spider-Man 2 was profitable. Sounds like hot air here.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

I think people are overestimating the overlap between PC and Console market.

Most gamers ONLY have one gaming device, it’s either just a PC or a Console. Very few people game on both devices.

More so, they don’t really eat into each other’s market. Console gaming has a very different appeal, you’ll find that lots of people have their consoles in the family/living room where they can easily pick up and play and the family can easily join in playing. Unlike PC where people usually place them in their bedroom and doesn’t really have a family appeal to it.

I’m trying to be careful with my words, but console is seen as easily accessible and thus appeals to casuals and everyone, whereas PC is seen as hardcore and appeals to serious gamers. Hence, I don’t think Sony releasing games on PC affects PlayStation sales. Sony released virtually no games on PC during PS3 era and sold about 90 million consoles, and released PC games during PS4 era and sold 130 million consoles.

You guys are projecting, you’re the super niche of gamers. Most people don’t have the same consumer behaviour as you guys.

Killjoy-NL

So much money that their financial report had investors (yes, I know that doesn't carry much) dumping stocks causing dip in stock prices. Plus they've forecasted less sales, more PC titles and PSVR2 coming to PC.
Didn't MS forecast expect a -40% decline in hardware sales for Q1 2024, on top of the message stating that all games are on the table for a Playstation and Nintendo-release?

Also, doesn't Playstation alone generate more revenue than Xbox + ABK combined?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just your typical "Xbox is doomed, so Sony must be too" nonsense.
Been a lot of this lately. A month ago, the "sharing is caring" crowd would have laughed in your face for even suggesting they Kumbaya with PlayStation fans over Hi-Fi Rush or Pentiment. Today? "Well, Sony (and Nintendo) should share too! iT'S tHe WaY oF tHe fUtUrE.....". Meanwhile, neither of their competitors is budging in that direction because they don't have to. Once the dust settles is when reality hopefully sets in for them that Microsoft is solo with this because their business moves have been failing for quite some time.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Yet they just acquired one of the most profitable companies to date in gaming history and who has a tendency to generate billions of dollars of profit. Also have you seen Microsoft's run sheet as a company total? They are the definition of technology giants, running losses and profits everywhere in order to capture market and dominate/control elements.
A company cannot keep absorbing all the losses of one of its subsidiaries forever. There has to be a point, where the parent company intervenes and either closes the business or greatly restructures it to keep it profitable.

There’s a reason why they closed Windows Phone, Zune, Microsoft Groove Music, Kin, Cortana and also completely restructured Internet Explorer into a wannabe Google Chrome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom